Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i sold a friend a g23 a few weeks back.he was shooting today and after 24 rounds everything was fine. the 25th round was not so good. kaboom,the the blew right out of his hand. one scratch on his nose and a very black sore hand.the triggerbust to pieces,the mag was completly gutted out thru the bottom,the mag latch is gone,the frame broke. the ammo company says it was a overcharged 40cal casing. it split at the base and blew out the primer. glock says to send the gun to them for repair and they go after the ammo company for him. the ammo company has already offered a full refund on the 4 50rd boxes of ammo that he bought. i'm not going say what brand ammo it was ,if they take care of this the right way.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
O U C H !

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
They sure that was not a triple charged case!

Dink

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think it would be a good idea to identify the ammo company and lot number.

It could save someone else from injury.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Looks like the pistol held, regarding slide/barrel lockup, and the damage was caused by the gasses escaping via case failure at the unsupported area of the chamber.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
but I thought Glocks were perfect. shocked Millions of rounds fired, no problems.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 40s have a rep for that.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cant help but think a steel or aluminum framed gun would have held up better.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
but I thought Glocks were perfect. shocked Millions of rounds fired, no problems.

More KA_BOOMS with Glocks than any other pistol on the market.

These pistol rounds are loaded with a case capacity of pwder than does not allow for a double charge.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Wow!

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'm not going say what brand ammo it was ,if they take care of this the right way.

Are your freakin' kidding? Do you want someones eyes on your conscience?

How was the overcharge determined?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by jwp475

These pistol rounds are loaded with a case capacity of pwder than does not allow for a double charge.

Are you saying the .40S&W doesn't have the capacity for a double or are you saying most manufacturers don't use powder for their pistol rounds, that is efficient enough to be doubled?

Because there is plenty of case capacity in the .40S&W or .45acp for that matter to double, depending on the powder and bullet.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
my dad's 27 did that... and mine went down the road shortly after

glock and 'the ammo company' bought him a new one which he never took possession of just did a swap at the gun store for a 243

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Are you saying the .40S&W doesn't have the capacity for a double or are you saying most manufacturers don't use powder for their pistol rounds, that is efficient enough to be doubled?

Because there is plenty of case capacity in the .40S&W or .45acp for that matter to double, depending on the powder and bullet.

I am saying (with the powders used for full power cartridges) that if the case is double charged it will be too full to seat a bullet. If a handloader uses Bulleye then of course a double charge is possible

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Foxbat

I am saying (with the powders used for full power cartridges) that if the case is double charged it will be too full to seat a bullet. If a handloader uses Bulleye then of course a double charge is possible

There are quite a few powders that will double charge (or come close enough to make your day exciting) a .40S&W with light-medium weight bullets (135-155).

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Pull 2 bullets from factory loaded rounds and then pour the powder from both cartridges into 1 case and let us know what the results are

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
the ammo company says it was a overcharged 40cal casing. it split at the base and blew out the primer.

Can you tell us how the ammo company knew it was an overcharge? Did your buddy send them some unfired ammo from the same box?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jwp475: Two things - YOU don't know anything about relaoding 40 S&W ammo obviously - AND I have been around and shot more Glocks than YOU will ever see in your lifetime and I have NEVER seen one go KABOOM to date!
Not one!
Something was catastrophically wrong with that 40 S&W factory ammo - NOT with the Glock.
Sounds like the ammo company agrees with ME!
Like someone else mentioned from what I see in the enclosed pictures that Glock held together pretty well!
I have NO plans what so ever to sell ANY of my Glocks as a result of this incident.
Maybe YOU could enlighten the rest of us as to which 40 S&W pistol YOU would guarantee that would have held up better under this circumstance?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Google Ka Booms you Dolt and you will find more Glock Ka Booms than any other Period

Apparently you ain't seen enough And we are talking FACTORY loads Einstein

Last edited by jwp475; 02/15/11.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
No one can blame the pistol for coming apart with a double charged load.

I have seen pictures of some ruger redhawks that came apart with double charged loads. Hardly the pistols fault.

Dink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 65 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.