Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Having left all of my caping to the taxidermists, I don't know which knife design would make a good caping knife. Anyone have any ideas on what form would make a good caping knife?

This is one I made from 154CM, 1/8 inches thick. Blade is 3 inches long and 1/2 inches wide. Handle scales are Whitetail deer antler, with deer antler pins in the scales.

I don't particular like the handles and I might change the handle material.

When I made it, this was sort of my idea of a caping knife, but I don't really know. Anyone have any opinions? I ground the edge very thin on the cutting edge, and sharpened it to a very shallow angle, about 10 degrees. I thought that thin and sharp would be better for a caping knife.

[Linked Image]

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thin & sharp is good,I prefer a bit of meat to the blade for digging the skin out from the horn bases.I have to that because I always forget to pack a small screwdriver! Monashee

Last edited by Monashee; 02/15/11.

Support the BC Wildlife Federation
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd want the blade a little shorter. Going around the horn bases can be tedious with little room. I also like a stout blade and plently of meat in the grip too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks good to me. I'd think it would make a fine caper.

DT

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I agree with both Monanshee and Ralphie. A little shorter on the length, alot of times when doing delicate work I'll hold the knife like a pencil and the shorter the better the control. And stout to pry. I would also like to see something like a self hilt. something like on Dozier knives, not so much as a guard but something to index by so I know where my hand is on the knife at all times. As far as the edge angle I'm not sure. Thin and sharp is very important but caping is the one use where you are always cutting against bone so edge retention is equally as important. Don't know if any of that makes sense but hope it helps!!! The knife as it is definitely on the right track!

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here's a blade I was playing with just for the hell of it. My taxidermist uses a fillet knife and said the same things, he'd like a short razor sharp knife that would hold an edge against bone and had a needle sharp point. This one is D2, convex ground with a short blade and a lot of handle for leverage. Strange lookin' but will be curious to see how it turns out when finished. Doubt I'd pay for a blade like this one, but since I was grindin' my own, I figured why not...

[Linked Image]

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is another that might work for caping. It has a finger stop, and enough handle to hold on to.

I was at a taxidermist shop one day and he was caping out a bear. He had an entire case of single edge razor blades nearby, and he seemed to be doing okay. He wasn't using a holder for the razor blade. That is why I thought thin and sharp would be what you needed.

[Linked Image]

Or a scaled down version of this:

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Mtnman1 I think you're on the right track. That is the closest thing to an ideal caping blade as I've seen, for me at least! I'll be anxious to see the finished product.

12334567, That top knife is an awewsome little knife andd if it's 6 3/4" or less would be close to my ideal field dressing knife! Neat little blade! But as far as a caper it's still too wide. If you did scale it down and take off some of the belly, it would definitely work. I think you were on the right track with the first knife with a few mods.

I'm not a taxidermist so I don't do near as many heads as they do. This year I peeled probably 10 bulls, 4 antelope, a couple of bucks, A desert bighorn and by the end of the year should do 4 or 5 aoudad. If I had to do it every day, I would probably use a victornox or exacto knife. I just like hand-made knives made for the job.

"I used to be a tired hunting guide, now I'm just a re-tired hunting guide"

"No eternal reward will forgive us now, for wasting the dawn" JM

Jared
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks. just somethin' I was playin' with... Honestly, I was almost afraid to post a pic, since it's definitely not a standard blade config. smile If/when I get it finished I'll post a pic or two and let ya see what you think.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
1234567 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The top knife blade is 2 3/4" from the edge of the handle to the blade tip. Blade width is 7/8".

It is a Russel design, but I don't know the model.

The bottom knife, with the stag handles, is my variation of the Canadian Belt knife, also designed by Russel.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

Top: Ingram Lt. Hunter
Bottom: Crotts Caper

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Crotts Caper you have is a sweet knife. I've never seen one. I can see how that'd be a really useful design.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One of my favorite capers.

[Linked Image]

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 30Gibbs, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 35 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,862
Posts18,478,591
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.