Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I want to put a normal sized [1" tube?] on my 22. It is tapped for a scope mount, and also has integral rails.
Can I just use the 3 tapped holes and put a "regular" size mounting rail on it?
Thanks again...

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Assuming you can find a base that will take 1" rings, yes. The other issue is parallax, of course. Most "regular" scopes are designed to be parallax-free at 100 yards, whereas scopes designed for rimfire use are set for 25 yards. If your eye placement is accurate, that shouldn't make much difference, but it can cause some error. With the very small targets usually shot with a rimfire, it can be a significant issue.

A scope of about 12X and up usually has an adjustable objective for parallax correction, and that can be the solution. I field-tested the inexpensive Millett 4-12X40 Buck Silver scope on a 22 Magnum rifle a while back and found its side-knob AO feature very handy. For the money, it was a very bright and clear scope with good adjustments.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
what gun? put any reg. scope on a .22 will work but one with adj. parallax is best on my silhoutte guns run either 6-18 or 6.5-20 sometimes 34x or even 36x no problem the "weak link on most scoped .22rimfire is cheap optics

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There are rings and bases made to put 1" scopes on 22s.

Last week I took two older Leupolds to their factory and am having them change the parallax from the factory setting of 150 yards to 60 yards, which as I read it is their setting for their rimfire scopes.

One is a 3-4x40 VARI-X II and the other is an older M8 4X---both 1" tubes and built for centerfire rifle use. I'm also having them engrave "60 YD" on one of the adjustment caps. This way if I want to go back to using these scopes on a centerfire again I could have Leupold re-adjust them back to 150 yards, and just get a new cap that says nothing.

The cost quoted me was $30 per scope to reset the parallax. Add shipping to that and whatever they may charge to engrave the caps. Turnaround time was estimated at 2 to 3 weeks.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend turned me on to using a high power rifle scope on .22�s around 1977. Up until then the little 7/8� straight tube Weaver .22 scopes were the norm. Got some budget level 4 power, forget the brand name now or even objective size, probably a 32mm, but the difference in the clarity and especially brightness between the 7/8� Weavers and the 1" tube cheap high power rifle scope was very noticeable. We didn�t know nothin� �bout no parallax back then, we just shot stuff � ground squirrels, running jacks, whatever.

Your method is how I got my first �rimfire� Leupold. Got a Compact 4X for my Kimber of O 82 over 25 years ago before they made scopes especially for rimfires. Sent it back to Leupold to get the parallax adjusted to 75 yards and it has sat on that Kimber ever since. The adjustment was free back then, just paid for the shipping both ways.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can either go with 1" tip off rings, which run about $25-35

[Linked Image]

Or get a scope base and then a set of rings. I'd go w/ the tip off rings personally.

It's probably been over 30 years since I've shot a 22 w/ an under 1" scope. I've been slowly upgrading my 22's to quality scopes, makes sense as they get so much use, they should wear quality glass.

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It's a Remington 597. I'll be using it at Appleseed shoots (25M) mostly, but some squirrel hunting now and again...

Thanks guys.

If anything I state appears to be medical advice, I am not a doctor; be sure to contact your family physician before making any changes in your medical regimine.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get a set of Leupold Rifleman RF rings and utilize your receiver grooves ... I like them.

I use some AO scopes on mine 22's and some with standard parallax, never really seem penalized either way. Tight groups, go with a rf or AO scope ... just plinking or squirrel shooting a standard scoped has worked for me for a few years.

Good Luck.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a set of new Millet lightweight 1" rings NIB that fit a grooved receiver (from an abandoned project) that you can have for $15.00 shipped.
Drop me a PM.

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I found a set of rings at Walmart that fit a 3/8" receiver and fit a 1" tube. I put the new scope on lastnight and went out and set it before I left for work this afternoon. At 25 yards, the cross-hairs are a little fuzzy on max magnification, even with the eye piece screwed all the way in. (My eyes are really bad!)
So, if I turn the mag down to about 7x, things clear up, but then I'm no better than I was with the scope (3-7x16) that I just took off of it.... <sigh>

IC B3

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
OOOWWWWWWWW.......thanks, I'll go read it right now (at work....)

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ok, something I don't understand...or maybe I do. Parallax is the way that if you are looking through the scope with the cross hairs on the bull, and you move your head slightly, the cross hairs seem to "follow" you and are no longer on the bull. Correct?

My current problem is that I have the ocular (right? closest to me) lens turned all the way *IN* and the cross hairs are still blurry. The more I unscrew it, the more blurry it gets. will doing this parallax adjustment help that any? Or would I have to remove the ocular end and maybe shave some off of the "front" end of it so I could screw it in further?

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the parallax is off, the crosshairs will seem to move on the target, either the same way as your head moves, or the opposite way, depending on if the parallax setting is too near or too far, but I forget which way is which.

I've had to move the ocular as much as 3/8 inch from other people's setting to focus on the crosshairs. Look at a blank wall or sky and turn yours out some more. The focus point for you may be farther back, and it will be out of focus both ways from that point. Let another person try it if you have problems. It might be your eyes, or it could be a bad scope.

http://www.abousainc.com/objective%20parallax.htm

http://www.6mmbr.com/parallax.html

Bruce

POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks so much for your help. I tried over in the "Optics" section and got some crappy advice and started a fight....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
grin

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by POC
Thanks so much for your help. I tried over in the "Optics" section and got some crappy advice and started a fight....

In the Optics forum, if you say, "Good morning! It's a beautiful day today!", you will get bad advice and start a fight... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
There are rings and bases made to put 1" scopes on 22s.

Last week I took two older Leupolds to their factory and am having them change the parallax from the factory setting of 150 yards to 60 yards, which as I read it is their setting for their rimfire scopes.

One is a 3-4x40 VARI-X II and the other is an older M8 4X---both 1" tubes and built for centerfire rifle use. I'm also having them engrave "60 YD" on one of the adjustment caps. This way if I want to go back to using these scopes on a centerfire again I could have Leupold re-adjust them back to 150 yards, and just get a new cap that says nothing.

The cost quoted me was $30 per scope to reset the parallax. Add shipping to that and whatever they may charge to engrave the caps. Turnaround time was estimated at 2 to 3 weeks.

For anyone's information: I got these two scopes back from Leupold today. I assume the adjustment has been made, the lazer engraving on the cap looks great and the total bill for both was a hair under $90.

They also did a mechanical inspection of both scopes, and replaced both the vertical and horizontal adjustments in the M8.

I'm happy.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 02/19/11.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by POC
It's a Remington 597. I'll be using it at Appleseed shoots (25M) mostly, but some squirrel hunting now and again...

Thanks guys.

POC,
Here's my Rem 597 (the TVPSS version, with a VQ barrel) I have a few tips for you;
1) Do NOT use the Weaver rail--you will find the receiver is thin aluminum at the top where the rail screws are--if the gun is knocked over, the screws and rail will strip out--Ask me how I know!
2) So, use the 3/8" 22LR tip-off type mount--much sturdier on these guns
3) Yes, there are plenty of tip off (for 3/8" grooves) out there. My gun has Millett Angle-Loc steel "High" mounts, part # TP00005. Any good gun shop should have them in stock--@ $24.00 or so.
4) If you're going to use it for general hunting, a 4X32mm scope fits well, is compact and not too bulky.
5) If you're going to punch bugeye holes in paper, or 3 postion shoots from 50 to 100 yards, I highly recommend an an AO (adjustble objective) scope for parallax adjustment or side adjustment for parallax. Scope on my rifle is a Federal Intensity 6.6X20X44mm that is no longer made, but they do have a 3X9 and a 4X12 still--great scopes at a reasonable price (@ 100 to $120 or so)
6) Get on over to www.rimfirecentral.com and go to the Rem forum, 597 sub forum for answers to guestions you haven't thought of yet

PS--IMHO--great guns! They had problems at first when first introduced, but they're ironed out, very accurate, short money, EASIEST gun to tune and tinker with yourself I have ever found--and tons of options now if you want to add on to it. You can easily work on it yourself to get to a 2.5lb trigger pull with no creep, by yourself, with little effort on a home workbench or kitchen table. Or you can buy a Volquartsen hammer that will do the same for $ 40.00. I've got a 1lb 3 oz trigger pull with no creep and an overtravel adjusment, with all stock parts. 2.3 to 3 lb would be great for Appleseeds!
Here's a pic or two.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SteveS; 02/19/11.
POC Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
SteveS: Very pretty gun. I love laminated wood stocks.
I had problems on my FIRST shot today. Apparently my "flag" somehow knocked the extractor loose, so my first shot went *bang* but never got a chance for a second shot....
I got a loaner 10/22 that had the Volquartsen hammer, SWEET!! I'm not sure what the pull weight was, but it was low and just so easy to shoot. Someone repaired my gun and pulling it's trigger was horrible.
The scope worked as-is on the range today, I shot some pretty decent groups. Not sure if I'm going to go with that scope tomorrow, or put the little tasco 3-7x rimfire scope back on it.

I've been to RFC, did you do the work on the hammer like they did there? Thanks for all the HELPFUL!! advice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 67 invisible), 3,059 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,353
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.