Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I've got the go ahead to pick another rifle, and am considering either the Rem 700 LSS in 257 wby or the 700 mtn LSS in 270.

When we hunt mule deer here in the west, we average about 13 miles per day on foot, so the lighter weight of the mtn rifle is appealing, but the 700 LSS model is still not as heavy as my Sako I use for elk, and I've lugged that thing around for miles, and wouldn't carry anything else while hunting elk. I've never lugged around a 26" barreled gun before, so I don't know if it would be cumbersome or not. On the other hand, I've never owned or used a thin barreled gun either and have some concerns about it's accuracy. I currently have a .270 that is my go to deer gun (Vanguard synthetic), but don't mind having two guns in the same caliber.

Anybody have any experience with either rifle/caliber? I've got a couple of synthetic guns and the Sako is walnut, but I've been dying for a laminated model, and I can't really afford another Sako since Beretta's pretty much ensured that finding a good deal on one is a long shot.

I plan on topping the gun off with either a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 or a Conquest. Back when I bought the Conquest for my Sako, the Conquests were actually cheaper across the board than the VX-III's, but the word is out and their price has followed. Also, the Conquests are considerably heavier. The VX-3 I'm looking at comes in at 13 oz. while the Conquest comes in at 15 or 17 oz, depending on reticle. (why would the RZ-800 be heavier than the z-plex anyway?)

Oh, I almost forgot...the gun will be used for anything from coyotes up to mule deer, and being out west (New Mexico) I could end up with shots at any range.

Last edited by Agar426; 02/20/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an SPS .257 Weatherby sitting in a BDL Alaskan Ti Stock, topped off with a VX3 4.5-14x40 LR with Alumina Caps, Burris Signature rings and Leupold DD bases.

Weighs 8 lbs 14 ounces (doesn't feel that heavy though as it balances nicely), bought it mainly for my go to Antelope Gun. If I'm going to looking at any kind of hills and long distances I'll grab something a few pounds lighter.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Agar426
am considering the Rem 700 LSS in 357 wby

I'd get this one. Should be a collector's item......... grin

Seriously, I'd get the light one, you've got heavy covered....

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I took a look at and handled a.257 WBY MkV ultralight yesterday. I too was concerned about barrel length,it really did not appear as long as 26". It was a SKINNY looking barrel for sure. Very light and shouldered nicely. You might save a litle weight by condidering a Swaro AV or Z3. My 4-12x50AV on my Sako on weighs 14.4 ozs. They are very sleek looking scopes.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 02/20/11.
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by aalf
am considering the Rem 700 LSS in 357 wby

I'd get this one. Should be a collector's item......... grin

Seriously, I'd get the light one, you've got heavy covered....

My bad...fixed the typo! Obviously, I meant to say 257 Wby...

I'm used to lugging the Sako around, and I think the 700 LSS will actually be a hair lighter than the Sako, and not much different than the Vanguard I lug around now. That being said, I wouldn't mind dragging around a pound or so less, but not at the expense of shootability. The Mountain LSS should carry nicely, but my one experience with a mountain rifle (not mine, a friend's) showed that the third shot wouldn't group....it was always a flier, and not by an inch or so. More like 6-7 inches. I know each gun is different, but that whippy little barrel has me concerned. In a hunting situation, it shouldn't matter because the business between me and the animal should have been transacted by the time a third shot is in question. But.....you just never know.

Last edited by Agar426; 02/20/11.
IC B2

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 257Wby in model700 LSS sold the stock and order a McMillan hunters EDGE ultralight toped with a VX3 3.5-14x40mm and Talley L/W's... Its good to go!

randy..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Faux Ti 280AI at 22"................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
What I would really like the Sako 85 Grey Wolf, but for the price of that gun, I could buy both Remy's.....

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
if i was goig to get a 257 it would have to be an accumark . the accumark does not have a lam stock so you are going to have to pick.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No way I'd suffer an Accumark,when you could build better,for less.

If it ain't twin-lugged,you are pissing up a rope..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agar if I was hunting on foot avg-13miles a day. I would have a Kimber Montana or Rem Ti 700 in 7mm-08 in hand...IMO...

randy..
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
.257 Wea. is a bit flatter shooting than a .270 Win. Otherwise, they're pretty similar. I load for both an find the .270 a bit easier to find optimal loads. Of the two, I like the .257 more.

The VX-3 4.5-14x40 has a 19' 100 yd FOV at lowest power, whereas the VX-3 3.5-10x40 has 29'. That's a lot of difference even though just one power apart. A lot of folks seem to like the 4.5-14, but for that reason, I got the 3.5-10x40 with a CDS.

DF

STA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dirtfarmer that a good point on the FOV....differece and hunting the woods you need all you can get...IMO...

Last edited by STA; 02/20/11.

randy..
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd be in 6x42 Faux Ti 280AI Mode.

Would also want(have) killer binos/spotter,as opposed to blowing out 13 miles of country a day on foot and would suggest a leetle Scouting to boot.

Just sayin'...................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can always get an SPS Stainless in .270 or .25-06 and drop it into a BDL Laminate stock. No whippy barrel, no 26" barrel.

Price would be nice, too, leaving you with more $$$ for glass.

Last edited by seattlesetters; 02/20/11.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It'd be a heavy/unhandy pig to boot.

PERFECT,if that's whatta guy was striving for................

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Would also want(have) killer binos/spotter,as opposed to blowing out 13 miles of country a day on foot and would suggest a leetle Scouting to boot.

Great responses everybody! I didn't realize this forum was so responsive...awesome!

Big Stick - Point well taken. Let me qualify...we scout from fall through spring. We spend lots of time behind the glass. We rack up the miles by tracking, plain and simple. My uncle is an old school tracker and has plenty of bone on the wall to show for it. One of his bucks made the "Kings" calendear last year, and that buck he tracked for 5 or 6 days, after having decided to take that buck or none at all during pre-season scouting. You see, where we hunt it is public land in Northen New Mexico. It does not border the famous Jicarilla Apache reservation, and the deer numbers are very low....very low. We are very succesful glassing for Elk in that area, and have even glassed up coyotes that we would later call in (having "stalked in" to a strategic stand location). But the mule deer numbers are so low (but good genetic potential, so we keep after it) that our best success has been by tracking. The miles add up quickly when on the trail of a big buck...

As for the earlier comment on lugging around a Kimber for a carry rifle...point well taken. Honestly, if I was going to drop that kind of coin on a Kimber, I would get another Sako. Nothing against Kimber rifles...I'm just a Sako guy when it comes to premium priced rifles. The reason I'm looking at these two Remy's is because I can spend half of what the Sako would cost me (possibly enabling me to get both rifles over time...gotta sell that one at another time to the boss however), and I do like the model 700's, I've got one in 22-250.

I think the light weight (although not a true light weight rifle) of the Mountain LSS would benefit me every second I carry the rifle, while the extended range of the LSS 257 wby would only benefit me on long shots, and even at that the 270 is no slouch. I think I'm letting the novelty of the 257 sway me, along with already having a 270. Neither gun can be had through my FFL, as the LSS is out of production, and the Mountain LSS seems to be either in or out or production, depending on which part of the 2011 Rem catalog you read....can't get a straight answer on that one. So, I would have to purchase on line, and that has a sense of urgency to it, as the potential for the product to "dry up" exists.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Great responses everybody! I didn't realize this forum was so responsive...awesome!

Big Stick - Point well taken. Let me qualify...we scout from fall through spring. We spend lots of time behind the glass. We rack up the miles by tracking, plain and simple. My uncle is an old school tracker and has plenty of bone on the wall to show for it. One of his bucks made the "Kings" calendear last year, and that buck he tracked for 5 or 6 days, after having decided to take that buck or none at all during pre-season scouting. You see, where we hunt it is public land in Northen New Mexico. It does not border the famous Jicarilla Apache reservation, and the deer numbers are very low....very low. We are very succesful glassing for Elk in that area, and have even glassed up coyotes that we would later call in (having "stalked in" to a strategic stand location). But the mule deer numbers are so low (but good genetic potential, so we keep after it) that our best success has been by tracking. The miles add up quickly when on the trail of a big buck...

As for the earlier comment on lugging around a Kimber for a carry rifle...point well taken. Honestly, if I was going to drop that kind of coin on a Kimber, I would get another Sako. Nothing against Kimber rifles...I'm just a Sako guy when it comes to premium priced rifles. The reason I'm looking at these two Remy's is because I can spend half of what the Sako would cost me (possibly enabling me to get both rifles over time...gotta sell that one at another time to the boss however), and I do like the model 700's, I've got one in 22-250.

I think the light weight (although not a true light weight rifle) of the Mountain LSS would benefit me every second I carry the rifle, while the extended range of the LSS 257 wby would only benefit me on long shots, and even at that the 270 is no slouch. I think I'm letting the novelty of the 257 sway me, along with already having a 270. Neither gun can be had through my FFL, as the LSS is out of production, and the Mountain LSS seems to be either in or out or production, depending on which part of the 2011 Rem catalog you read....can't get a straight answer on that one. So, I would have to purchase on line, and that has a sense of urgency to it, as the potential for the product to "dry up" exists.

Current crop Sakos are junk. The MR LSS wears a 40 ounce stock.

The 22" 280AI is a very handy/dandy melding of Oooomph and amazing LR Capability.

Hint(s)...................(grin)

A
Agar426 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A

Current crop Sakos are junk. The MR LSS wears a 40 ounce stock.

The 22" 280AI is a very handy/dandy melding of Oooomph and amazing LR Capability.

Hint(s)...................(grin)

Educate me on this combo...and the "faux ti" comment from earlier. I am not familiar with this set up....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I think the only think that gets more over exaggerated than "miles per day" is the round counts that some guys throw out there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 72 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,582
Posts18,510,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.