Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
He does it frequently

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I had more time to read these kinds of threads. One has to plow through a lot of BS to find the occasional explanatory post based on real experience and the even rarer pithy comment that sums it all up. Thank God for windy days--if it wasn't blowing most of Arizona across us en route to west Texas, I might have been outside doing something useful!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yeah, me too, I've got a bunch of new loads ready to go but Utah was blowing by here on the way to Nebraska so all I did was take the dog out to get covered in mud and cockleburrs, the knucklehead.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
real men shoot rifles with some weight to them, I totally agree on the weight. one funny thing is I see most guys that want the super light rifles live back east or in the south where the longest hike they will take is to the deer stand above the deer feeder.

Holy generalization batman.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jim62
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Your Imagination is taking you places...again.

Laffin'!...............

When it comes to actually proving Burns wrong about anything, your imagination is all you got, Limpstick.

You don't have the guts required to take the free plane trip to MT and prove it.

Go back to your cupcake frosting and krylon..

She only needs slack to hang herself,such as you.

Both easily arranged and happily..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Laffin'!...............

When it comes to actually proving Burns wrong about anything, your imagination is all you got, Limpstick.

You don't have the guts required to take the free plane trip to MT and prove it.

Lot's of TALK on your part, Limptwig.

But you've still no guts to go to Montana and shoot against Burns.

Last edited by jim62; 02/20/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by brdana
John: A couple of questions. It looks like your customers are the most fond of the 7. It sounds as you prefer the 6.5.? It looks to me like the 7 w/ 168's or even 180's would be hard to beat. I just about don't use my 6.5 in favor of my sevens. Am I missing something? 180 through the chest of a big bull seems more comforting than 140 to me. For elk I still always take my 300RUM w/ 185's. The more I shoot the more I realize it is all about wind.. I still have several 30's. I will be interested in your opinion of the new LRX bullets.
Nice rifles.

Brad,

The 7 seems to be the best fit for most guys and the 180 VLD is hard to beat. I kind of like the 264 140 VLD and have had great luck with it on elk. The reason I think most guys choose the 7 is they do feel a little more comfortable with a little heavier bullet.

Will try and get to the LRX after these last shows are over and I get some samples. The 7s were supposed to be tipped this week so hopefully we will see some soon.

Originally Posted by 10at6
John: Take this FWIW These look nice for a varmint rifle, but for a hunting rifle I would lose about 3# off stock, fill, and scope. Perhaps a skeleton handle to offset. And perhaps add a wind reading course to the "knobs".

10at6,

We do build a little heavier than some but we shoot a little further than most. smile

Curious here. How much weight does it take to get to a given yardage?

Thanks for your "knowledge" and "experience"..............

The heaviest rifle I am willing to pack is 10lbs or so unloaded. Under good conditions I can take that to 1000yds or so. I can�t shoot lighter rifles as well.

So many things come into play beyond just weight (stock ergonomics being near the top).

I can build a lighter rifle but, for my limited shooting ability, getting below 8 � lbs seem like a big drop in shootability under field conditions. I try and only build what I can actually shoot up to the level shown in the videos.

My line of thinking is not how light a rifle can I shoot, but how heavy will I carry. 10lbs never stopped me from getting to the top of our mountains. (My fat ass has been a real drag though at times) grin

Given the "big drop" from 10lbs to say 8...how much performance loss does that equate too,as factored in yards?

Thanks!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Laffin'!...............

Lot's of TALK on your part, Limptwig.

But you've still no guts to go to Montana and shoot against Burns.

Curiously enough,I needn't travel to shoot................

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Curiously enough,I needn't travel to shoot................

In order to accept the expense paid invite to Montana to shoot against Burns- yes.

Logic dictates you decline as an apparent acknowledgment of your inferior shooting ability and equipment as compared to his.

Smart move on your part. wink

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pardon my reluctance to get giddy about a 3000 mile trek,to see a Cough Silencer......................

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lil Fish,

I understand your wanting a definitive number, but your question is similar to a 5 year old asking �How high is high� or maybe more like �How far is too far�.

It is not uncommon for newbie�s to Long Range (Such as yourself) smile to think distance is the only measure of difficulty in a particular shot in the field.

Many other factors come into play and can have as much or more influence than just the range to the target.

Things like shooting position, hunters stress level, wind both affecting the bullets flight and buffeting the shoot, time for the shot, ect.

If you want to get into shooting in the field at extended distance you are going to have to get out, do a lot of shooting, and see some of this for yourself and learning that distance is but one factor in field shooting and sometimes not even the most important. When you put in the time and finally make a nice clean kill at long range we will all be so proud of you.

Post pictures wink

Calvin,

I forgot to ask if you would post some pict of your faux Greybull. I am giddy with anticipation. grin grin

ps I can't give you credit for coining faux Greybull as others have used it in PMs but I think you got it first on the board. smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You infer that you have faith to 1K at 10lbs and cited 8.5lbs as being a "big drop" and I was simply curious as to what your Imagination quantifies the difference is in yards?

I savvy that you don't shoot and have no concept of that which is readily reliable,via topflight wares and are forced to poke your head in the sand.

I'll feign my "surprise".................

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow,HS Precision Barrels and Stocks.That's a melding of some real dogshit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
B&C stocks.

HS stocks suck heavy azz,but their DBM's are skookum and their tubes can shine..................

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Damn this new computer! No matter where I go, I'm stuck in the Optics Forum. blush

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Noone shoots anymore...................

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
one funny thing is I see most guys that want the super light rifles live back east or in the south where the longest hike they will take is to the deer stand above the deer feeder. I personally like a rifle to be about 8-8.25#'s with no scope or ammo in it. add a 1# scope a sling and some rings I am probably at close to 10#'s in my preferred choice.

I live in the rocky mtns, and my varmint guns don't even weigh 10lbs. Cannot think of anything more useless than a 10lb gun.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I will shoot with you Lil Fish.

When and where??

Last edited by JohnBurns; 02/20/11.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
one funny thing is I see most guys that want the super light rifles live back east or in the south where the longest hike they will take is to the deer stand above the deer feeder. I personally like a rifle to be about 8-8.25#'s with no scope or ammo in it. add a 1# scope a sling and some rings I am probably at close to 10#'s in my preferred choice.

I live in the rocky mtns, and my varmint guns don't even weigh 10lbs. Cannot think of anything more useless than a 10lb gun.

I bet you actually believe that. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

I will shoot with you Lil Fish.

When and where??

You flatter yourself.

You don't even shoot with your self..............

Page 4 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (16gage, 1badf350, 1moredeer, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,961
Posts18,519,472
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.