Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 40 41
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Still amazed that you can convince "sheep hunters" and "elk hunters" for that matter, that a 10lb gun is where it is at.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Still amazed that you can convince "sheep hunters" and "elk hunters" for that matter, that a 10lb gun is where it is at.

It is so easy when you are dealing with serious hunters. When big bucks are on the line these guys have tried the lightweight route and found it wanting.

Proven performance trumps silly notions of featherweights.

Even Lil Fish wants weight when the chips are down. He just plays you boys for his own amusement.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Just because someone pays for a hunt, doesn't make them a "serious hunter."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buying a 100k+ governor�s tag and hiring a bus load of guides to hunt a farm from a truck may be serious to some. To others they're just rich dorks blowing grandpa's trust money. To each their own.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

It is so easy when you are dealing with serious hunters. When big bucks are on the line these guys have tried the lightweight route and found it wanting.

Even Lil Fish wants weight when the chips are down. He just plays you boys for his own amusement.

Please feel free to denote the correlation of rifle weight,to Net Score...as applied to B&C....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just because someone pays for a hunt, doesn't make them a "serious hunter."

No it sure doesn't. When they drop 60K it does tend to make them take the hunt seriously.

This is why we have been successful at the big sheep show. Guys simply want good stuff and some of them seem to think we might be able to make a rifle that will perform when the chips are down. smile

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rogue
Buying a 100k+ governor�s tag and hiring a bus load of guides to hunt a farm from a truck may be serious to some. To others they're just rich dorks blowing grandpa's trust money. To each their own.

Nothin against you here but go back and read the envy in that post.

I know it is hard to believe but some guys have actually earned their own money and choose to spend it hunting. Pretty cool in my book.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
John,

Were you just at the big sheep show? Had a buddy down there who donated an alaskan fishing trip to the auction.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Please feel free to denote the correlation of rifle weight,to Net Score...as applied to B&C....................

How about I quote you before you chickened out to the shoot in MT.

This is what you wanted to bring and it is a 12 pounder.

I'm thinking S/S 700 s/a 308Winny,wearing a Mike Rock #6 contoured 23 inch 1-11.25 5R spout,chambered M852. A5 stocked,dab lug bedded,Badger M4 bottom,Badger 20MOA Rail,Badger Standards and a Mk4 M1 10x Duplex.

Reckon I prolly dote on 155 Scenars,but it don't hardly give a schitt whatcha throw down it's throat.

But it ain't like someone else is gonna do sumptin' to a rifle,that I haven't.....................

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
John,

Were you just at the big sheep show? Had a buddy down there who donated an alaskan fishing trip to the auction.

Calvin,

The real big sheep show is in Vegas on the 23rd (OVIS Grand Slam). I did do the Reno version last year but that was a bust.

I have been doing the Long Range seminars at the Grand Slam Club show in Vegas for 3 years now.

http://www.wildsheep.org/convention/2011/seminars.html

The FNAWS sheep show in Reno was by far and away the worst show I have ever done concerning attendance and from my stand point sales.

I had 2 guys buy scopes on the last day and I almost told them to go to the website and order so i could actually say the show was a complete bust.

We normally do quite a bit of buisness at all the shows we do (Dalllas SCI , SCI, SFW/Mule Deer, NRA, ISE, Harrisburg, RMEF) but man that was a wreck.

I hope your buddy did well and the show works for anyone who was there but in my view FNAWS did not need to split from SFW and start a new show.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I know it is hard to believe but some guys have actually earned their own money and choose to spend it hunting. Pretty cool in my book.

Agreed..Any man that earns his money honestly is a good man. May he spend it any way he wishes. If I want to pass down what is mine, it should be up to me and no one else.

Hunted the same hill as a guy with a 12 man guide crew this past season. He was running 10 spotters. Luckiely for him he paided for guides and I didn't draw the 14 pref pt tag. Could have killed his bull easy within 150 yards. Watched him finally make it happen after a spotter from over a mile away finally figured out what I was looking at and walk him and his walking guide in.

There was talk amongst them (hunter and guides) about only packing out the head and hide. I heard it over the radio. Started with something like, can't we get the quads in there. I packed out my spike elk quarters from a few canyons further down the trail two days later.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Agreed..Any man that earns his money honestly is a good man. May he spend it any way he wishes. If I want to pass down what is mine, it should be up to me and no one else.

Hunted the same hill as a guy with a 12 man guide crew this past season. He was running 10 spotters. Luckiely for him he paided for guides and I didn't draw the 14 pref pt tag. Could have killed his bull easy within 150 yards. Watched him finally make it happen after a spotter from over a mile away finally figured out what I was looking at and walk him and his walking guide in.

There was talk amongst them (hunter and guides) about only packing out the head and hide. I heard it over the radio. Started with something like, can't we get the quads in there. I packed out my spike elk quarters from a few canyons further down the trail two days later.

+1 smile

The whole "Big Gang, Found the bull before the hunter shows up" thing is not for everyone. I am not here to judge but I doubt many are game for round 2.

Sounds fun to some but it might not be as cool after the fact.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

How about I quote you before you chickened out to the shoot in MT.

This is what you wanted to bring and it is a 12 pounder.

I'm thinking S/S 700 s/a 308Winny,wearing a Mike Rock #6 contoured 23 inch 1-11.25 5R spout,chambered M852. A5 stocked,dab lug bedded,Badger M4 bottom,Badger 20MOA Rail,Badger Standards and a Mk4 M1 10x Duplex.

Reckon I prolly dote on 155 Scenars,but it don't hardly give a schitt whatcha throw down it's throat.

But it ain't like someone else is gonna do sumptin' to a rifle,that I haven't.....................

That was the rifle I offered to send to Mackay for R&D,figuring it a like weight to the schit you are yacking about and one which would be easily fed over the counter. Nuttin' more,nuttin' less...though I've probably another rifle or two,besides it.

'Course then numb nuts was stumped with a BDC that read yards,instead of the MOA he stated...so I saved shipping on another goatphuck.

Though as noted,I weren't none too concerned about it being beat upon,as that's what I've got 'em for...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
IMO a good long range setup goes under the idea of stacking pennies, a little here and a little there adds up to a lot. if your happy with an MOA rifle and shooting to 4-500 yards a light rifle will do it. beyond that little things really start to matter.

its the same reason why the military doesn't send out snipers with a 6# kimber.

I also own light rifles and given the right hunt and conditions they are a better choice. but given the typical western style hunting utah, idaho, wyoming, etc I like a bit heavier rifle. I don't think anyone is saying hunting mountain goats or sheep is best with a 10# gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've spouts in sub #1 to straight 1.350".

Bore interiors,matter far more than their exteriors.

I remain all ears to what a given contour's "max effective range" is,as well as a given weight system's "max effective range".

Tough to get giddy about 175SMK's in any platform though....................(grin)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

its the same reason why the military doesn't send out snipers with a 6# kimber.

High volume and off hand shooting have as much to do with barrel wieght as anything. If all snipers ever did was one shot one kill like in the movies a kimber would be a hell of a lot easier to work with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WTM45
Who is the maker of the barrels used?

The best in the world. laugh

Why use anything else???? grin

Good to see another Brux fan!

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
K
KDF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by whitedogone
Originally Posted by WTM45
Who is the maker of the barrels used?

The best in the world. laugh

Why use anything else???? grin

Good to see another Brux fan!

I'm thinking only the first letter (B) is correct.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I love my Brux and they do very well. I will say again that it really does not matter whos name is on the tube within reason. I dont care if Burns is running Brux, Pacnor, Rock, Bartlein etc, a good tube is a good tube.

Regarding weight I have found the Montana was a little to light. I had two, a .308 and a .260. I found that in field positions I was not as consistent with them as I was with heavier rifles. It was not the stock fit, it is probably the single best stock I have ever handled for matching my body. For me I found follow through is far more critical with the fly weights. I applaud Stick and others who do well with them, they just were not for me. Sticking a heavier tube on a Model 7 made a big difference for me and my Tikka T3 lites have the best balance for me. On a recent build I went to far the other way, put a 26" heavy palma contour on a rifle built for steel matches and it was a bit to much, feels slow on transitions from target to target when shooting anything other than prone. I shot a twin to my rifle with a light palma contour and the difference was very apparent.

I can understand Burns reluctance to mention parts but did I miss it where an accuracy standard was specified?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Looking forward to your results with the new LRX bullets!

Page 5 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1badf350, 260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 270cowboy, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,947
Posts18,519,172
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.