Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 41 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You may want to step away from the paint...
You've been rollin pretty good...

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Magic Markers then.

Damnit................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Ok I will throw this one out there for anyone who cares to chime in. I prefer to have a build with known parts, even if I dont spec it usually a smith will have a preference for certain brands because he likes the fit, machines better or he gets a bulk discount. In my last build I was gonna go with one barrel and my smith liked the Brux so thats what he went with. Another specific example is GAP, you can go to their site for one of their builds and it tells you exactly who makes the action, barrel, stock etc...

Once a build gets to the user does it matter whos name is stamped on the components? I understand a stock being a very personal choice but if the rifles delivers the expected results, in this case John says an easy 1/2moa, does it really matter if the barrel came from a tiny shop or is a Bartlein (or Kreiger or anyone else you wanna mention)? And on the other end if the performance is not there I could care less whos name is on the components unless the builder was simply incompentent and jacked up good parts.

Sorry if its a ramble, Im about three vicodin in and Im closing one eye to see the keys to type.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're doin' better than Burns do,straight.

I'd say of the faction that do shoot,many have a feel for what works and perhaps more importantly WHY. Given that constant,most if not ALL,will want to know particulars based upon those findings. Mainly for instance,because not all tubes is equal.

That especially a given,beings that so much of the package is already well beyond suspect. If only because said lapses in component integrity,can readily be discerned by just a casual glance. Sooooooo...that would leave most to speculate,that corners are being cut elsewhere,with like enthusiasm...in nether regions where a glance cain't reach

Just sayin'....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I honesty can't think of a smith who wouldn't tell you about the components regardless if you were buying or not.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most have the gift of gab and are eager to explain their take on matters..............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's always the possibility Mr. Burns don't know himself as I've not heard him say that he actually does all the "smithing".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
MOA talk is cheap, as are fractions there of...

Let's see'm....lay the cards on the table.

I can.

Tony

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RDFinn
There's always the possibility Mr. Burns don't know himself as I've not heard him say that he actually does all the "smithing".

That's assuredly a given..................(grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hicountry
MOA talk is cheap, as are fractions there of...

Let's see'm....lay the cards on the table.

I can.

Tony

"Proprietary" cards?!?.....................(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll sell you a deck for 6 large........

Tony

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hicountry
I'll sell you a deck for 6 large........

Tony

You Boys are playin' rough! grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never encountered a gunsmith that wouldn't tell you what barrel, action, stock, etc. he uses for a build.

Thus my puzzlement at Burns' reluctance to say what he uses.

Also, given the general appearance, specs, and calibers of his rifles they look an awful lot like a Remington Sendero to me.

Do you suppose the Greybull rifles could just be restocked factory guns?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My deck is stacked.................(grin)

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Details that have been established
We know who makes the stocks
We know who makes the actions
We know who makes the scopes
We know who makes the rings and bases
We know which cartridges he uses
We know who makes the trigger
why is it so important to some to know his chamber diamensions,and barrel maker?
Not everyone who hunts cares about chamber specs and barrel brands!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Details:

1) Stocks suck
2) $300 action
3) Schit scope
4) $30 rings,suspect bases
5) Moot
6) Fairly moot

The barrel is THE heart...................

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Details:

1) Stocks suck
2) $300 action
3) Schit scope
4) $30 rings,suspect bases
5) Moot
6) Fairly moot

= $6500

shocked

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Am sure the barrel isn't over $450.00 so what? we established long ago that one can build for under $2500.00, as long as his customers are happy I don't see the problem!

Would it make you happy to find out it's a pacnor?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
He is putting a whole system together that has worked well for him, taken them to the range and proved them so that the guy who is cashing out for them knows he is getting what he paid for. I can't tell you how many "custom" rifles I have seen that were never tested for accuracy and feeding. In fact, Barsness told me one time that of all the custom (semi-custom) rifles he has been sent for T&E only ONE was ready to hunt as it arrived! Maybe that has changed since he told me this, I dunno.

Not everyone can put something together that will work like this. Just putting a bunch of quality components together doesn't mean that you are going to have a reliable tack-driver etc. Some recipes are better than others. I do things my way and it works for me. Doesn't mean my way is best, doesn't mean that his way is wrong. People buy it and apparently are happy. Several of you would begrudge him for selling something to someone that you think you could build for less! Get over it.

Wow!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Carefull boys Jim62 will be around soon to put us in our places.

To answer who cares? I care. Why do I care? Because if I was to shell out 6K I sure as [bleep] want to know what I am getting.

It is without question John doesn't do the smithing. But he has a lazer etcher. Or maybe that is sub-ed out too.

I really don't care who buys one and or how they became that dumb to do so. But seeing that we talk about rifles and scopes of all things on this forum why not give our opinions of his junk?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 7 of 41 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1badf350, 1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.