Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
To not hijack another thread:

Who has NOT designated themselves as an organ donor?

And..... why not?

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am a donor.
But, unless the process has changed, it's a lot for the family of the donor to deal with.
A friend's son was a donor and was killed in a sprint car race.
Every time the docs wanted to harvest an organs, they would call the family, tell them what they were taking.
Finally the father said enough. We cannot go thru this anymore.
About drove them nuts.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If it is still done that way the process needs some tweaking.

Specify ahead of time and let 'em harvest.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
If it is still done that way the process needs some tweaking.

Specify ahead of time and let 'em harvest.

That's where it's at and it's a done deal.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Agreed. Leave the family out of it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not, because it's set up that the only people who can't benefit from this, are my family.

The doctors can get beaucoup bucks from the ins. companies to do the surgery, harvest and transport my organs.

The person getting the organ gets to live.

My family gives up an organ worth, realistically, $50k-??? tens of thousands, and gets a warm fuzzy feeling.

I'd consider doing it if they would at least cover my funeral expenses as part of the deal. But they don't.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by burner
I'm not, because it's set up that the only people who can't benefit from this, are my family.

The doctors can get beaucoup bucks from the ins. companies to do the surgery, harvest and transport my organs.

The person getting the organ gets to live.

My family gives up an organ worth, realistically, $50k-??? tens of thousands, and gets a warm fuzzy feeling.

I'd consider doing it if they would at least cover my funeral expenses as part of the deal. But they don't.

I probably too would if it wasnt such a money makin scam. Just like giving blood. They charge some poor bastard a thousand dollars a pint, and all they pay for it is a cup of OJ and a cookie.
I realize the doctors and everyone needs to get paid, but it shouldnt cost someone there home to get an organ that was basically given to them. Helping other people is a noble thing, and if someone feels charitable enough to give up their organs, those involved should be just as charitable and not sock it to the insurance companies trying to get rich from it.
I suppose there is also the fear that if an organ donor is in an accident and clinging to life, the doctors would see dollar signs by selling your organs and not provide their best efforts to save you.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
All I can say is "wow".

Off to work so no time to type much.

Some guy gets paid to do a job - the medical team - and someone else gets paid to process and store (expensive) a blood donation and you guys are letting selfish concerns about not getting your cut hold you back?

I'd encourage you guys to do some deep soul searching on this one.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Burner and Flinch, the system is what it is and we can all find our reasons, pro and con.

The issue is lives lost that go-a-wantin and needin. If you 2 are comfortable with your stated positions, so be it, it's your call to make. No slam meant.

I, for one, am damn glad and thankful for blood donors and i return the favor at every opportunity. After trauma and having my pressure drop < 25, twice, I was running outta gas real quick like. Also thankful that those 'money grubbing doctors' were able to put humpty dumpty back together again.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I on the no donor list. Like others here I figure that if everyone else benefits my estate should see at least $50,000.00 per organ.

I used to be a regular blood donor. Some years ago I had hip replacement surgery. As a precaution they drew two pints of my blood to be used if needed and charged $500.00 per pint to extract it. As it turned out I didn't need it and asked that it be donated to the local blood bank. They wouldn't take it because it "hadn't been processed properly". They flushed the last two pints of blood I will ever donate.

Maybe I should not say never. If a close friend or relative needs blood I'll do it. I'd stretch that to include Toot.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I am on the other end of the issue...

Someone was kind enough to be a donor when they passed, and I have their bones in my back.

Not just organs, but bones, cornea, skin, ligiments, tendons...

I used to donate blood on a regular basis, but had to stop for 5 years, after the first major surgery I had. Don't know why either, but them's are the rules.

Tony

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm a donor but had never considered the financial end of things till it was brought up here.

can see your guys point about the family of the donor being cut out of the loop.

but i'll remain a donor

I guess in the end i'd rather have the financial buggering than deny someone the gift of sight or life itself

tried to picture one of mine in need of an organ for a chance to live

some jabroni bites it in a car crash, but instead of organ donor being marked yes, it states no, not unless i get my cut

didn't play well with my moral compass

i'll remain a donor. YMMV

sides i've been well prepared for a financial buggering at the end

i've written checks to the IRS for what I one time prayed to gross

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
its on my licence that im a donor and my wife and brother know that if someone can use the parts feel free to cut me up, ill be dead, not like ill give a chit.....only good that came out of a cousin of mine dieing in a car wreck was he was able to help out a dozen ppl through organ donation....

Last edited by rattler; 02/24/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My brother died last year at 65. We allowed them to have whatever they wanted but they were only able to use some skin tissue. They had to interview our mother for about 45 min to get all of his background but once that was done, we didn't hear anything more until we got thank you letters.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by rattler
its on my licence that im a donor and my wife and brother know that if someone can use the parts feel free to cut me up, ill be dead, not like ill give a chit.....only good that came out of a cousin of mine dieing in a car wreck was he was able to help out a dozen ppl through organ donation....

Good stuff, rattler and time can be of the essence for the organs part as well as for the corneas.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I had a malignant melanoma removed 22 years ago and can't donate blood or organs due to it.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I let my quack talk me into signing the donor card but I canceled it when I found out he was just out of cat food.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Both sides have valid arguments but I'll stick with the no donor side. It just doesn't seem fair that everyone except the most important person in the transaction benefits. How about $50,000 per organ to the donee's favorite charity? I'd do it and name the NRA.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NeBassman
I had a malignant melanoma removed 22 years ago and can't donate blood or organs due to it.

There was a news article a couple years ago about some transplant lab that illegally used parts from someone who had cancer. They killed several recipients.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have been listed as a donor for a long time, I intend to wear mine out so it may not be an issue. (no one plans to die early)
I just don't want my wife or kids to go thru what my friend went thru.

As far as the money goes, you are dead at that point, giving another the chance to live longer is a hell of a gift IMO.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (AnthonyB, alwaysoutdoors, 160user, 35, 10ring1, 7887mm08, 14 invisible), 1,482 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,209
Posts18,503,888
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.