Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You forgot to mention contusions. wink

When I was perhaps 6 years old, I fell out of a beech tree at Grigg's park. My parents watched proudly as I monkeyed through the tree with abandon on a summer night in 1976. That's how I envisioned them feeling, anyway. The vivid memories I won't ever forget, but unfortunately, to be honest, they're the ones from the ER just after, and of my having my broken ankle set by a demonic ortho resident. My brother got off easy. He only suffered a double wrist sprain. If not for my landing on him, after having lost my grip and fallen some 20 feet, it'd probably have gone far worse. Ah, to be young--and immortal!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
They were offered for edification, to make a certain point � not to titillate, absorb, or appeal to interest in their contents.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not by those names, as far as I can tell.
My copy is not in obvious sections. A quick run-thru shows me:

Anybody can learn to write. Nobody can teach you how. The best anyone can do is help you learn. So the first crucial element in the craft of writing is the writer. If that's you, then you're the first thing that you'll have to deal with. You can do it. Only you. Nobody else can do it for you.

Get rid of the "I'm no writer" error, parts A and B.

"Write the way you talk" � well, not exactly.

An old, familiar beginning for courses and discussions on writing is to define writing as "a means of communicating thought. ...

Aids and Barriers to Communication in Writing

Abbreviations and Acronyms � It's good to shorten...

Preview: Like any other language, English comprises two major components:...

SHIBBOLETHS & SUPERSTITIONS

TECHNICAL TERMS versus BRAIN BILGE

THE BEST ENGLISH FOR WRITING

n an earlier post in this series, I mentioned editing a draft in ...

There you have it, Amigos � the last installment in the boiled-down on-line version of the boiled-down five-part seminar version of the old semester-long course, "Make Every Word Tell." My seminar syllabus also includes some appendices, at least one of which ("A Guide to Good Style") I'll probably add � in installments � to the above.

NOTE: I wrote and distributed this guide to my writer friends...

The five crucial properties of the printed page are � in this order � :
� READABILITY
� READABILITY
� readability
� readability
� appearance

The next installment � A Guide to Good Style � 6-b � will start listing specific points. Here's the first one:

... So get 'em and read 'em while they're cheap. You'll never spend a few bucks more productively or wisely. You'll see also how a war correspondent ought to cover a war.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got all that and more � thanks!

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK.

I'd be happy to archive the latest for you. wink

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Read E.A. Poe's *The Poetic Principle*. It applies to all writing. Basically, it says to make every word count. Otherwise, be like lots of people who think if 50 words will work, 500 words will work better.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Poe was a giant of the literature of his era. Too bad his biographer hated him and saddled him with a horrible reputation.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
� A neighbor of ours in a subyuk of Baltimore lay down for an afternoon nap in her upstairs bed room. Not quite asleep, she was startled fully alert by a cheery greeting from her neighbors' five-year-old daughter near her bed �

"Hi, Mrs Steiner!"

The girl was standing high in the tree just a few feet outside the open window, with one foot on one limb and one hand grasping a limb just above her head, while she swung the other foot nonchalantly to and fro.

� Every now 'n' then while she did her house-hold chores, Carol Anne peeked out a window to be sure that our five-year-old son, playing in the yard, was all right.

Then one time, she couldn't see him, in the front yard or the back yard. Alarmed (we lived on a busy Prescott, Arizona, street with fast traffic), she went outside and called him �

"Ben!"

Ben coolly rappelled down from a high limb in the tall alligator-bark juniper �

"Yes'm?

Both kids had what Mark Twain called "the calm confidence of a Christian with four aces" � and then some.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What set Twain apart from "writers" was his gift for "making stuff up".Excellent workmanship in an ugly house goes un-noticed .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just had an interesting e-mail chat with a fellow writer (very good, very able friend) about the use of the serial comma (the modern "A, B and C" versus the classic "A, B, and C).

Here's my side of the exchange, FWIW2U �

I always use the serial comma before the conjunction. It's classic usage, long established, never confusing. Even the revisionists who drop it say to use it when it's necessary to avoid confusion. But since they know full well what they mean when they write a series, they don't use it when they should.

They aren't confused, so they can't foresee that their readers might very well be (or that their readers will have to pause to sift-out the intended meaning, thus interrupting the easy flow of meaning from the page to the mind).

I've seen dozens if not hundreds of horrible examples in the last forty-several years but none that I love to cite more than "Major risk groups for AIDS are male homosexuals, intravenous users of drugs and Haitians." (The mind boggles at the unintended image!)

Can you think of an instance when the classical use of the serial comma might be confusing? How much does the omission of it save, ease, or clarify?

"No one is worthless if he can be used as a bad example."

Has the classical use of the serial comma ever disturbed your reading?

Darts 'n' flames, NE1? grin

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ken,

Personally speaking, the thought of intravenously using a Haitian greatly disturbs me! laugh

I, too, am a serial comma abuser. Or is it; "I, too am a serial comma abuser."?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wasn't cognizant that commas were causing contention. I've always considered them kind companions. Keep commas common.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by macrabbit
I wasn't cognizant that commas were causing contention. I've always considered them kind companions. Keep commas common.

Never said contention.

Said confusion.

Gave example.

Big difference.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never said that you said contention.
Some folks, evidently (and it's news to me), are contending against 'traditional' usage. I now contend against them.

Classical use has never disturbed me; the lack of that final comma certainly has the potential to give a reader the hiccups.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just had a discussion with a university professor about whether to use the form judgement or the form judgment.

I prefer judgement and have abundant precedent for it.

There've been a plethora of spellings in English since the early 13th century � over a dozen that I know of �

� iuggement
� iugement
� gugement
� iuiement
� iugument
� iugemente
� iewgement
� iugisment
� yugement
� iugment
� iudgment
� iudgement
� judgement
� judgment

(Note that the e was included more often than the d was.)

1236 � �To bringe is neueu mid streng�e to stonde to Iugement.�

You pays yo' money 'n' you takes yo' pick, but since the soft g takes the e (or i) as regularly as the q takes the u, it seems to me that judgement is the more logical extension of judge. Why should judgment be the exception to that natural rule?

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My local ice cream parlor sells me a delicious flavor they call fudgemint. That's all the authority to keep the 'e' that I need. smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grin

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ghoti=fish. wink

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lhonda
ghoti=fish. wink

gh as in rough
o as in women
ti as in action

"Good enough" isn't.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I don't write as well when my hands are cold.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (14idaho, achlupsa, 35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,314
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.