Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mtmuley
OK, Correct me if I am wrong. Cooper rifle 1500-2000 bucks. Kirby Allen Magnum starting 4000 plus. Not exactly 3-1 but close. mtmuley

Ok your wrong!!! I have three rifles built by Kirby and none of them came close to $4000

Plus cooper rifles and Kirby's rifles are kind of like comparing apples to oranges. with a cooper you get what they offer and in only a few calibers.

With Kirby he will build it the way you want it, any caliber, any contour / length barrel, brake ,action, stock, trigger.

Last edited by joecool544; 03/05/11.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Interesting to say the least.

You don't say JB................

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by joecool544
Originally Posted by mtmuley
OK, Correct me if I am wrong. Cooper rifle 1500-2000 bucks. Kirby Allen Magnum starting 4000 plus. Not exactly 3-1 but close. mtmuley

Ok your wrong!!! I have three rifles built by Kirby and none of them came close to $4000

Plus cooper rifles and Kirby's rifles are kind of like comparing apples to oranges. with a cooper you get what they offer and in only a few calibers.

With Kirby he will build it the way you want it, any caliber, any contour / length barrel, brake ,action, stock, trigger.

Not sure where he came up with the prices

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I looked at the rifles at the ISE show in Glendale last week. They appeared to be nice rifles. I had to laugh as the one they handed me had a turret on it for 13,000'. I asked him if that was right- he said it was for a sheep hunt in Wy that he went on. He said that they were good for plus/minus 2000 yds. I told him that was great as I do most of my hunting between 11,000- and 15,000'. He laughed and said that I had made my point smile

All this said, I am worn out on this whole Best of the West, Grey Bull, Gunwerks, Red Rock, G7. et al... It seems like it has just snow-balled and now everywhere I guide, I find guys taking crazy long shots at game and either wounding them or not being able to find them. I think we are enabling too many very mediocre shooters into thinking that all they have to do is write a check for $6-$7K and instantly they are the latest incarnation of Carlos Hathcock. I know one guy that supposedly had wounded 4 elk last year. I saw his buddy at a wedding reception last night who told me that he actually shot 9 bulls and never recovered a single one. I just don't get it!

I certainly don't begrudge these guys for trying to make a dollar selling rifles but there certainly is a down side to it, at least in my eyes.

How many more of these outfits are going to spring up? Not sure the history of them as it seems that they are all like either family or ex-business partners or disgruntled employees trying to get their piece of the pie!

Ok, rant over.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Amen. So how much would it cost me to be able to kill my elk at 700 yards? grin

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It takes practice to be proficient. I do not get to shoot long range much where I now live and would not feel comfortable shooting at an animal at long range without proper and consistent practice.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes, I agree, but there are many people in this instant gratification society that are convinced that they can. They see all these videos with these 800,900, 1000 yds instant kills and think that if you buy one of these systems that it is magic!!

What they don't see, that I do as a guide, is the gut shot animals, the neck shot animals, the ham shot animals and whatever other spot you can hit non-vitals.

I had a hunter this year that shot BOTH back feet off of a bull! The bull went about 20 yds and laid down but it was sickening to see his feet shot off when we closed the distance and finished him off.

These weren't "long" shot by these system gun standards either! But they were convinced that they had to do it!

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That is one of the biggest reasons that I hate these "yardage marked turret" people buy those gimmicks and think that they are ready to go, yet they have learned nothing about the affects of barometric pressure on their shots where they are hunting which may be drastically different than how the "yardage turrets" are marked.

Trying to short cut "knowledge" is a recipe for failure IMHO and experience

One needs a Kestrel weather station and a hand held computer with a ballistics targeting software program for real time info and the ability to set the turrets for not only the distance, but the conditions

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If one truly wants to hunt long range a dedicated long range rig is superior to trying to take a general purpose hunting rifle and using it for double duty

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

That is one of the biggest reasons that I hate these "yardage marked turret" people buy those gimmicks and think that they are ready to go, yet they have learned nothing about the affects of barometric pressure on their shots where they are hunting which may be drastically different than how the "yardage turrets" are marked.

Trying to short cut "knowledge" is a recipe for failure IMHO and experience

One needs a Kestrel weather station and a hand held computer with a ballistics targeting software program for real time info and the ability to set the turrets for not only the distance, but the conditions

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If one truly wants to hunt long range a dedicated long range rig is superior to trying to take a general purpose hunting rifle and using it for double duty

[Linked Image]

Total Bullschit, unless you are trying to hit targets with a Chey-Tac or a Mc-50 at 1200yd or farther.

Maybe you're clued in and I'm a moron JW, but I didn't have a problem hitting all those iron maidens in SOTIC 24 years ago, in the "pre Kestrel/computer days".

Yes, a kestrel is good, I own one, but you need to learn how to use your spotter and read the mirage to dope the wind.

The Army has used a "yardage-marked turret" since 1988. The guys on the SOTIC Committee that designed it, collectively sent about 200 mofos to hell in SE Asia. People they've trained have place many more there.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yes one must read the wind, but I am located at sea level. All of my practice and data is worthless when I travel out west to hunt a 10,000 elevation. With the tools that I have out lined and use I can now get the proper data for my turret correction at distance. I have proven this to work.

If the proper data is entered proper data is recieved. I need first rounds hits not sighters

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Yes one must read the wind, but I am located at sea level. All of my practice and data is worthless when I travel out west to hunt a 10,000 elevation. With the tools that I have out lined and use I can now get the proper data for my turret correction at distance. I have proven this to work.

If the proper data is entered proper data is recieved. I need first rounds hits not sighters

True enough, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your method, IF you have time to employ all that stuff, and a lot of times if the shot is far enough, you do have "all day". Being able to plug and chug every variable would be an asset, and if the shot if far enough, might just be essential. But, speaking for myself, I don't have any business taking a game shot at 1100-1200 yd, and neither do most of the rest of us. You don't have to have a ballistics computer to hit a pie plate at 600yd. You do need to know how far away the target is and what the wind dope for your load is. If you want to use M1 or M2 dials, just print out extra drop sheets for every 20 degree temp at the altitude you are hunting at.

Oh, JW, you really need to level out that cheekrest on your rifle, on those really, really long shots, that will bite you in the a$$.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Don't see how it is slower. I take a barometric reading early before first light. Once the animal is spotted and ranged the turret is turned or I can use the reticle. Do yardage marked turrets turn faster? Do you still not have to range the animal if it appears at an unknown range, with yardage marked turrets

The problem with yardage marketed turrets is not as much with the turrets themself as it is with the way they are marketed toward peolpe that are not savy in long range hunting and getting them to think that the turrets turn them into "long range marksmen in the hunting fields

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Don't see how it is slower. I take a barometric reading early before first light. Once the animal is spotted and ranged the turret is turned or I can use the reticle. Do yardage marked turrets turn faster? Do you still not have to range the animal if it appears at an unknown range, with yardage marked turrets

The problem with yardage marketed turrets is not as much with the turrets themself as it is with the way they are marketed toward peolpe that are not savy in long range hunting and getting them to think that the turrets turn them into "long range marksmen in the hunting fields

This is my biggest beef too!

You don't 'need' the Kestrel and computer etc but if you don't use something like that, you better have a LOT of practice and experience shooting long range- most of the people buying one of these systems do NOT have that kind of experience or they would have put their own stuff together long before! It is a LOT easier to get a wind velocity and pressure off a Kestrel then it is to learn to read mirage and wind on the leaves etc.

NRA Benefactor Member

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JWP,
Not to be a smart arse or disrespectful to anyone that practices and can manage long range shots and who can do so with consistency but there is no question that there are those among us that as a previous poster said think because they just spent $7000 on a rifle and optics they can kill game at long range.
The TV shows that show those long range kills I don't even watch anymore however it appears said shows and all of the rest of the long range hype have done in some cases exactly what others have spoken about.
Bad hits, wounded animals, wrong animals, complete misses and endless searches for animals that are never found. Nothing wrong with a guy that is capable and can make the shots but my guess is they are in the minority.
Get in "sheep shape", practice,utilize the right equipment, know the area being hunted, and know the hunted and his habits. I had a real nice Muley @ 794 yards in a 30mph 9:00 wind. He was bedded but there was no way that shot was even considered.
4 hours later @ 350 yards give or take a few yards I harvested him. I wonder how many guys shooting a 7MM RM w/168 Bergers and a Huskamaw scope would have tried the 794 yard poke?
Being able and confident in the ability to take a long shot if necesary is good but IMHO an ability employed when it is the only option. Again I am not knocking those that choose to hunt LR that are capable and have prepared properly and can make the shot if that is how they choose to harvest animals. Those that haven't prepared properly need to leave the LR rig in the safe, quit eating chocolate chip cookies, get on their bicycles and get in shape and get closer IMHO.

Dave

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

That is exactly what I am talking about with the pimping of the yardage turrets

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RaceTire
JWP,
Not to be a smart arse or disrespectful to anyone that practices and can manage long range shots and who can do so with consistency but there is no question that there are those among us that as a previous poster said think because they just spent $7000 on a rifle and optics they can kill game at long range.
The TV shows that show those long range kills I don't even watch anymore however it appears said shows and all of the rest of the long range hype have done in some cases exactly what others have spoken about.
Bad hits, wounded animals, wrong animals, complete misses and endless searches for animals that are never found. Nothing wrong with a guy that is capable and can make the shots but my guess is they are in the minority.
Get in "sheep shape", practice,utilize the right equipment, know the area being hunted, and know the hunted and his habits. I had a real nice Muley @ 794 yards in a 30mph 9:00 wind. He was bedded but there was no way that shot was even considered.
4 hours later @ 350 yards give or take a few yards I harvested him. I wonder how many guys shooting a 7MM RM w/168 Bergers and a Huskamaw scope would have tried the 794 yard poke?
Being able and confident in the ability to take a long shot if necesary is good but IMHO an ability employed when it is the only option. Again I am not knocking those that choose to hunt LR that are capable and have prepared properly and can make the shot if that is how they choose to harvest animals. Those that haven't prepared properly need to leave the LR rig in the safe, quit eating chocolate chip cookies, get on their bicycles and get in shape and get closer IMHO.

Dave

We have a WINNER. Someone that gets it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

You don't 'need' the Kestrel and computer etc but if you don't use something like that, you better have a LOT of practice and experience shooting long range- most of the people buying one of these systems do NOT have that kind of experience or they would have put their own stuff together long before! It is a LOT easier to get a wind velocity and pressure off a Kestrel then it is to learn to read mirage and wind on the leaves etc.

No you don't if your practice location is the same as your hunting in terms of elevation. Either way one must be able to read the wind. If I am not sure of a wind call I do not shoot it's that simple

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JWP,
I find it way more challenging to plan a stalk and get closer. I can't read the wind well enough anyway and know my limitations. Those that know all of the particulars about their loads who have a computer and a program like the Sierra Infinity or some of the others that are just as good or better can do an info sheet based on where they are going to hunt and get pretty close but knowing doesn't make a LR shooter. I would think with good equipment banging plates and getting good at whatever ranges are anticipated would be key ingredients.
I find it tough enough to carry the stuff that is in my pack now without the Wind meter, pocket computer, weather station, and inclinometer. Way to complicated when all a guy has to be able to do is get closer and within the range he is comfortable with.
Info sheet and/or simply knowing the rifle and scope combination well and knowing what shooting at 30 and 45 degrees does to your shot and getting closer and a guy doesn't have to worry too much about reading the wind.
For me stalking to within 400 yards or less is the scenario I like with the ability and the confidence to go out to 500 yards if that's all I got. Scopes with bullet drop reticles and practice set up for any situation 500 and under.
Many times the shot isn't hanging around waiting for a guy to get situated even if it is a LR poke. No time to get the Kestral out. In my case it is much easier to lay off the home made brownies and potato chips and get in shape.
One more issue worth mentioning IMHO. If a guy is in shape it is much easier to get an animal out too.

Dave

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Knowing when to pass a shot is the most important thing you learn by practicing long range shooting. Some people will never practice enough to learn this with the store bought longrange in a can kits.

Originally Posted by dennisinaz

No you don't if your practice location is the same as your hunting in terms of elevation. Either way one must be able to read the wind. If I am not sure of a wind call I do not shoot it's that simple

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RaceTire
JWP,
I find it way more challenging to plan a stalk and get closer. I can't read the wind well enough anyway and know my limitations. Those that know all of the particulars about their loads who have a computer and a program like the Sierra Infinity or some of the others that are just as good or better can do an info sheet based on where they are going to hunt and get pretty close but knowing doesn't make a LR shooter. I would think with good equipment banging plates and getting good at whatever ranges are anticipated would be key ingredients.
I find it tough enough to carry the stuff that is in my pack now without the Wind meter, pocket computer, weather station, and inclinometer. Way to complicated when all a guy has to be able to do is get closer and within the range he is comfortable with.
Info sheet and/or simply knowing the rifle and scope combination well and knowing what shooting at 30 and 45 degrees does to your shot and getting closer and a guy doesn't have to worry too much about reading the wind.
For me stalking to within 400 yards or less is the scenario I like with the ability and the confidence to go out to 500 yards if that's all I got. Scopes with bullet drop reticles and practice set up for any situation 500 and under.
Many times the shot isn't hanging around waiting for a guy to get situated even if it is a LR poke. No time to get the Kestral out. In my case it is much easier to lay off the home made brownies and potato chips and get in shape.
One more issue worth mentioning IMHO. If a guy is in shape it is much easier to get an animal out too.

Dave

And so if you want to get closer and thats your desire, I have but one question, WTF are you doing in the long range forum?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,099
Posts18,522,287
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.