Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Some friends and I are helping a 100% disabled Viet Nam Vet get into a low recoil CF rifle to hunt deer with on his home place. Becasue his home state requires a caliber of 24 as a minimum and because of his injuries precluding any recoil we have obtained a Browning Semi Automatic (BAR)in 243. Should be pretty soft shooting. I hope to deliver his new rifle to him when I see him on about the 18th, but the supply of inexpensive used variable scopes over in classified seems to have temporarily dried up and the project has gone a bit over budget already when we saw the Browning BAR 243 and decided that our friend had to have it so we are in the hunt for something in the 3x-9x range of decent quality. Above Tasco/Simmons/BSA and Bubblepack Bushnell but not expecting anyone to give away a Nightforce or sell it to us for $100.00! Can spend SOME money, have some trade bait, particulary if one likes Barnes Bullets to put into a deal.

Let me know what you have, not asking neccesarily for a freebie as there is a bit of money available for a good deal on a low end Nikon or Vortex etc which would be fine for this guy.

PTSD afflicted and injured friend is adverse to any publicity so no names or pictures will be provided, unfortunately. If someone thinks I am snowing or scamming for a scope for myself then don't bother to reply here but I hope most here know that I have plenty of high end scopes and rifles of my own, and plenty enough to not stoop to such a post for my own benefit.

Thaks for looking and thinking of this, All the best as always,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a 3-9x40 Bushnell 3200 Elite that has been mounted for about 10 minutes, and due to my ham-handedness, now has some ring marks, but has never been on a rifle that has been fired.

It's stainless colored, so if you can live with the ugliness on what I assume to be a blued gun I can let it go CHEAP for another vet, especially one who has already sacrificed so much for my country.

If that sounds OK, PM me.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have a scope I will give him .I am also a disabled Vietnam Vet and would gladly help another vet out.
I know I have a Burris mini ,I think 4x14x40 and may have another scope or two that are good scopes (Weaver and Redfield).I'll have to check tomorrow and let you know.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a nice little 3x9 nikon buckmaster out in the shop Id be happy to donate to Your friend, its matte, and in ex. cond.
No money needed.

Gunner

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have a Remington and a Cabelas 4-12x44 that would be good on a .243 that you are welcome to.

What are you doing for a trigger?

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Come on guys, this is a disabled vet!!!

Lets go for at least a Zeiss Conquest.

Safariman, if you'll collect the $$$, I'll open with a pledge of $25.00

Lets get this done tonight...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
awesome gestures guys,and thanks to the vets,,,,

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by santeerangerman
Come on guys, this is a disabled vet!!!

Lets go for at least a Zeiss Conquest.

Safariman, if you'll collect the $$$, I'll open with a pledge of $25.00

Lets get this done tonight...

I'm in for $25.

Maybe Doug (Camera Land) could swing a deal.

Last edited by weaselsRus; 03/07/11.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I admire your convictions, I'd not turn down any of the scopes that have been offered.

Good to see you guys - well done.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
safariman, check your PM.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
THANK YOU to everyone who replied! nmitchell if you indeed have a Burris mini 4-12 that would be ideal for the purpose. Let me know, PM sent.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
BTW,

This veteran friend of mine has been a VERY close freind for about 30 years, and only summer before last was he able to share what he went through and experienced. Horrific stuff. I did not ask, he volunteered it at the reccomendation of his VA docs. I am honored that he considered me one of the people he go to to with his story, which will not be repeated. Wish I could forget it, actually.

Thanks again to all who offered help. He will be thrilled with his 243 and scope, he might try to go deer hunting this fall. I will go with him if he gives it a go.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mark.
I dont have any spare scopes but I'll send $100. if you go the donation route.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark,
You have a PM. Please consider.

Thanks...

An honest man's pillow, is his peace of mind... JM
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mark,

I was on the receiving end of some donations when my buddy got cancer. I would definitely like to contribute to this one!

Does he need ammo or anything else?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dphillips,

Considered and GLADLY accepted!

Too cool.

for the curious, Mr. Phillips is offfering a Leopold Vari X lll in 4.5-14! I am amazed and soooo excited, this option is Absolutely perfect, much more than what I was hoping for here.

I am going to have to make SURE this freind of mine shoots a deer with this set up. Anyone want to donate some salt blocks, granola bars and deer chow?? smile

Once again, this place and especially Mr. Phillips goes above and beyond. Sometimes I can do these kinds of things on my own, this year and at this time I coulld not, needed a hand with a deed. Thanks again to everyone.

MARK

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Mark,

I stand in AWE of both you and Mr Phillips efforts..

It is an HONOR to even share the same forum with you 2 gentlemen...

God Bless both of you gentlemen, and the receiver of this gift..

best regards
john chr.
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Excellent endeavor,Safariman!! The 24 comes through.

Next week, try your hand at a trophy fee donations for aging lawyer going to Africa for first time thread,if you will.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like you have several good scopes - I will pay for Leupold mount/base and rings for the Browning/scope combo you choose (or another brand if you prefer) - PM me your address and the cost. Thanks for what you are doing.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mark,

I have a 3x-9x Redfield I'd happily offer up, but it looks like our amazing members have stepped up with better options. I'd still like to contribute. PM sent re: donations and other needs.

Either way, count me in. 'Can't imagine one of our vets being in need and not stepping up to the plate for them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,269
Posts18,486,588
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.