Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My first versus thread and I am excited. wink

Looking at a U.S. Optics SN-3 model 1.8-10x44 on their website.

Can't find where it says these are 1st or 2nd focal plane scopes. Also, not much info in general.

I am also looking at a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 NXS.

Just wondering how the two compare and wanted some feedback from anyone who has used either or both.

Thanks,

Jm

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to the snipershide forums. Should be plenty info there. And I'd bet you'll find the general concensus favoring the US Optics scope over the nightforce.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Ackley.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are other choices.....................

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/08/11.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What would be a better choice over the 2 that are being ask about?

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ACT STUPID YOU BETTER BE TOUGH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm all ears 300...

I want a scope with .25 MOA elevation adjustments, 2-10 power, mil-dot reticle with good glass and robust internals for about $1200-$1600.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, i'd give the Vortex viper PST a look. Save some coin to spend elsewhere.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have owned a USO Canadian SN3 and still have a NF NXS.

good scopes, both.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jghoghunter

For that kind of money I would check out a March, best scopes I have seen but their warranty is not that great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
NF and USO are not in same league. USO and S&B are closer to each other than NF. Think of USO as custom as they aren't made until you order. You can have it made to suit your bent...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The land of the free because of the brave.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

I am not a fan of US Optics scopes - not at all!!

Here's what I have or have looked at & think they are all great scopes & would fit what you're looking for:

Schmidt&Bender PMII 10x42mm = $1799*

NightForce 2.5x10x32mm = $1470

March Tactical 2.5x25x42MM (just ordered one of these 3 weeks ago, awesome glass!!)= $1900*

Zeiss Diavari FL 4-16x50(I know its pricey, but the glass is as clear as they come!!!)= $2400*

(*indicates the scopes I currently own or am waiting for)

The March Tactical scope is an awesome piece of glass - did alot of reading on these & then checked them out thoroughly at the SHOT Show - came home and ordered one - I am counting the days until this scope arrives!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/08/11.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had a USO and sold the POS. What a turd. Debris on the ret, illumination knob was so loose, it would turn on/off while shooting. It had decent glass, but I don't think they're worth the price. I'd personally would buy a PH or S&B for the price.

I currently own 3 NF's and planning more when funds are available.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Zeiss Diavari FL 4-16x50(I know its pricey, but the glass is as clear as they come!!!)= $2400*

These are 1/3 MOA, but the glass is outstanding and may be the best of the best as far as optical quality. These can be had for under 2000.00 if you look hard enough. Built like a tank.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
I'm all ears 300...

I want a scope with .25 MOA elevation adjustments, 2-10 power, mil-dot reticle with good glass and robust internals for about $1200-$1600.

JM

S&B Summit with turrets.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
US optics over NF hands down, Zeiss/hensoldt if you want the best. Premiere and S&B after that.

Last edited by LOTT; 03/08/11.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I owned a USO. Glass was unbelievable. In fact one day we had a NF next to it. Mirrage through the NF was like looking out into a heavy downpour of rain. Looking through the USO it was almost non-existent. But, it was big and heavy, and the eye relief was horrible. I also didnt like the ERGO and prefer side focus. I sold it and bought a SB PMII 4-16x50 lit. I dont want to bash USO, as I spoke to John the owner and he is a great guy. Funny thing to me anyway, is you never hear anyone talking about how crummy the eye relief is in USO's? I dont know if they have fixed the eye relief issue or not, as I owned mine about 5 or 6 years ago.

JimD.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is $1600 your absolute upper limit, John? 300Mag lists some scopes that are definitely better than those two, but with a higher price tag to match. If you're willing to stretch the budget a little more, you'll likely be much happier with the March, Zeiss, Premier, S&B though.

If you aren't willing to spend the extra $, I think the Viper PST suggestion is a good one. It's at least as good as the NF, and I don't know of another tactical style scope that can match it feature for feature at anywhere close to the price.

What's your primary use intended for this scope? Knowing that will help narrow down your options.

Ted
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Use would help. NF is supposedly building the end all tactical scope for introduction later this year, but it will also have the price tag to go with it. Unfortunately the pst doesn't have the robustness history NF does-- Yet.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
just read some of the other posts. Best bang for the back is NF ask lowlight on sniperhide, , but the two mentioned are sort of apples oranges, Uso is ffp, and heavier/larger, best buy would be a discontinued ph swaro ffp for about 1k although it doesn't come with a mil. but then neither do the zeiss.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hunting scope. 0-600 shots on steel. 0-450 on game.

Looking at the Conquest 4-14x44 with Target turrets, SF and mil reticle. I'd be inclined to take one of these over the Vortex PST's.

Heard good things about them and they seemed to be priced around 1k.

Any comments from folks who use this scope would be welcomed.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

For that kind of money I would check out a March, best scopes I have seen but their warranty is not that great.

Was at an F class match a while back... state match, and one of the top shooters, if not the winner possibly, had a march since it was a "funded" gun... said it was fine but he would never pay money for it...
I have no experience... so just relaying what I heard from one of the top shooters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Given the choice the US Optic would be my choice

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
US optics over NXS. If you have not taken a look at trijicon you may want to check them out. I only have one and have no idea as to durability, but it is working well so far. Someone reviewed them or so I heard but have not checked it out. considering that mine is mounted in some home modified talleys to give me 20+ MOA of angle and still functions perfectly, I suspect they are pretty durable. Even if the clicks are not as positive as NXS still seems to be a great scope under a grand. I would say go with a zeiss Victory but the adjustments are not MOA. I could probably hook you up with one of the non illum victorys in your price range. You just missed the leica trade in deal, so did I. I meant to pick one up but got busy. I think one would have fit the bill pretty well for you and would have been in your price range with the trade in.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have the Zeiss 4.5-14x44 with SF and Rapid Z800 no turrets. It's a really nice scope and on par optically with my Swaro Z3 and Kahles KX. It's not as good as my new Leica.

If I were you, I'd pick up one of the new Leica's from Doug with his promotion. Easily the best optically I've used. You can get it for $1600 or less. He is getting in some of the new models with the ASV turret this week. I spoke to him last week about it. The turret will retrofit as well so I'm gonna try and get one put on mine. I think you'd be real pleased. They have a 2.5-10 and 3.5-14 models.

Lee

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were you, I'd pick up one of the new Leica's from Doug with his promotion. Easily the best optically I've used. You can get it for $1600 or less.

For a little more money, you can get 4-16x50 30mm tube German Zeiss Victory Diavari FL with a turret from Doug. No way I would opt for a Leica over that Zeiss. It will hold it's value too! YMMV

This is from doug's demo list:
Z-Plex 20, Hunting ASV (Part#521777-9920) $1949.99, reduced from $2499.99

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love these threads. John M was just trying to choose between a NF and a USO.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I love these threads. John M was just trying to choose between a NF and a USO.

No need for anyone to pin themselves down to a choice of two great scopes, when we can really muddy the waters. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bahahahahah. We love spending money that isn't ours!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
everyone is praising the vortex, but the real question is how do they track. I have heard some detailed reviews and they didn't exactly pass the tracking test with flying colors. personally as long as the glass is decent and the tracking is spot on I am happy. but if the tracking isn't right the whole product is junk to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RifleDude
I think the Viper PST is at least as good as the NF.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh...................................ya, right.

John, I have, and very much like, the NF 2.5-10X32 NXS with the NP-1 reticle. I don't think you can go wrong with it. I took it outside at midnight a month ago, along with a 3-9 Trijicon. Cloudy, had some moonlight making things a little visible. At 75 yards, I could see the woodpile with the Trijicon. With the Nightforce, I could see the individual logs. Nice glass...

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I were to choose a scope in the price point of USO, I'd be looking at a Premier or S&B. USO quality control is too much of a variable for that kind of money.

To answer your question, if it was b/t USO and Nightforce, I'd go Nightforce and spent the remainder on shooting.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Narrowed it down to the following:

1. S&B 2.5-10x40 Summit with Turrets....Over my $1600 budget frown

2. Nightforce 2.5-10x37 Mil dot...........$1295

3. Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44AO TT Mil dot....$850

If I went with a conquest I would have enough left over to grab a Mickey stock.

But...what about their tracking and durability??

They're 1K less than my Diavari for a reason. I wonder what they changed.

JM

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Conquest....Conquest is 1" tube as opposed to 30mm on Dia. Tracking and durability will work well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, John, may I throw another into the mix. I have a Z5 5-25X52 Swarovski for $1,299. According to the folks at Swarovski, with its new patented set up, it can handle the recoil of a 50BBMG.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
knowing your use helps a lot-- I've used that uso and the 24mm in 3 gun matches on ars and they both work well. The uso to me, is too large for a hunting scope, considering its probably going on a lighter type mt rifle. I shoot a 24mm on a custom 6mm for sheep (total wt. 6 1/2 lbs perfect proportion), and goats used mainly in the day time but prefer the npr2 reticle . Although thinner, in normal shooting its great, overcast and rain, the illuminated reticle does its job. Will not get into a long range hunting contest here, but head shots on IPSC targets at 500 yds are not a problem, either dial in 6 moa or use hold over. Then back to zero stop, (none of the other suggestions have one). Experience with conquests: had two 4.5x14s, first, an early model lost the reticle, second, lost the ao from a good whack, Not saying anything bad, just sayin.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by rockchuck828

Was at an F class match a while back... state match, and one of the top shooters, if not the winner possibly, had a march since it was a "funded" gun... said it was fine but he would never pay money for it...
I have no experience... so just relaying what I heard from one of the top shooters.

Was at an NBRSA match a while back... national match, and several of the top shooters, and the WINNER had a March...said it was awesome and he paid alot of money for it...got to try it out for a few hours after the match was over and thought it was incredible...so just relaying what I saw for myself from the TOP shooter.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
[quote=JohnMoses]Narrowed it down to the following:

1. S&B 2.5-10x40 Summit with Turrets....Over my $1600 budget frown

2. Nightforce 2.5-10x37 Mil dot...........$1295

3. Zeiss Conquest 4-14x44AO TT Mil dot....$850

If I went with a conquest I would have enough left over to grab a Mickey stock.

But...what about their tracking and durability??

They're 1K less than my Diavari for a reason. I wonder what they changed.

JM

[/quote
Lens coating mainly, the conquest has a MC coating and the diavari has the T FL coating, it's a much better coating, tracking on both are great with the diavari being brighter in low light and alittle sharper. The 4.5-14x44 has 43MOA and the 4.5-14x50 has 68MOA. The rapid z reticle is one of the best on the market and I really like the sidefocus, helps as a rangefinder. You wont be disapointed with the zeiss for the money. If your going longrange then look at a MOA base but wont be needed with the rapid z reticle but the Z1000 is for a tacticle round(308). The 4.5-14 x44 or 50 has 3.5 ins. of consistant eyerelief. All zeiss scopes can handle 4x the recoil of a 460 weatherby (1500g's) and have a lifetime transferable warranty. I don't think you will be disapointed with the conquest. I have 11 and I'm not.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I ain't wasting money on a zero stop as 12 MOA will get me as far as I need to go.

That's a pricey solution for a problem I've never had. I'm sure it is a benefit to others though.

Prefer Mil-dot/MOA adjustments because that's what I'm used too and use in Hunter IBS. If I had to start over I'd go Mils/Mils.

Alot to think about and I appreciate the info on the scopes.

Thanks
JM

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The March scopes I looked at all had 1/8 MOA clicks- that is a deal killer for me. IF it was a 1/4 MOA scope, I would certainly look that direction. The USO and Nightforce don't have glass as good as the S&B or the Premier but the price reflects this.

I would never put a USO on a hunting rifle! IF, I were going to spend more than $1000 on a hunting rifle scope, it would be a nightforce or IOR Valdada.

The Vortex PST is not as good in the glass dept as the Nightforce and they are NOT available! Still behind on deliveries. When it finally comes main-stream, it will be a great value scope.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by yukonal
I think the Viper PST is at least as good as the NF.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh...................................ya, right.

Have you seen them? I have. That's my honest opinion, and I own 2 NF scopes and like them. NF is rugged, has great adjustments, and nice reticle selection. Optically, it's not better than PST; they are pretty much equivalent. NF is definitely more proven mechanically. PST has a better illumination system. PST doesn't have quite the tunnel vision NF shows, and you don't have to rotate the entire eyepiece to change magnification so you can use flip up scope covers. I'm talking about the whole package, feature for feature, comparing what you get for your money.

But, as was stated earlier, availability is tight on the PSTs, although they are available for sale. I had a 1-4X24 PST for a few days due to an order mixup where I was sent the wrong scope, and a couple of my friends have one.

Last edited by RifleDude; 03/09/11.

Ted
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
John, both the USO and NF are great scopes. The USO will have a bit better optics than the NF, and their EREK knob is nice if you plan to do a lot of dope dialing. The NF is more compact and is considerably lighter than the SN3, so might make a better hunting scope.

If I were buying a tactical style scope within your price limit, I think I would get the IOR Valdada 2.5-10X42 tactical w/ illuminated MP8 reticle. Although it's a mil reticle, it has the MOA turrets you wanted. I have their 4-14X50 with the same reticle, and it has fantastic optics.

The Conquest with Rapid Z reticle is a great scope as well. However, the problem with most 1" scopes for long range work is they don't really have enough elevation adjustment. That isn't an issue for your 600 yd limit, but for a serious LR scope, you really need about 100 MOA of travel.

Ted
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Go to opticsthoughts.com, then highend tactical scopes partII, It will answer some of your questions and arguments.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

Out of the couple of scopes you have narrowed it down to, I really believe the NightForce 2.5-10x32 will serve you well for the money!!

NightForce is tough as nails, tracks well, has pretty good glass, and is available with the type of adjustments/reticle you're looking for.

The 2.5-10x32 will also fit nice on a hunting rifle - its fairly compact and does not weigh as much as some of the others scopes mentioned.

Run the NightForce & kill schit!!!

Last edited by 300MAG; 03/10/11.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I believe that is what I'll go with 300. I understand I won't get the glass the S&B Summit has, but it looked to be comparable to the glass on the Conquest, at least at the store looking out of the back door...

I didn't like how small the mil-dot reticle was on this scope, so I looked at the new velocity reticle (1-600 yds) and it was easier on the eyes.

After a little work, I figured out the HV Velocity reticle would almost line up perfect with the current load for this rifle.

Sighted @ 200 I would be:

.220" high @ 300
.335" high @ 400
.366" high @ 500
.314" high @ 600

Ran it thru their ballsistics calc. and mine, although shooting will tell the tale, but it should be real close.

[Linked Image]

JM

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JM, I've been looking at the 2.5-10x32 NF as well, altho I want MOA/MOA and will go with the NP-R2..Looks like a sweet set up to me for a hunting rig.

I've had a tuff time deciding between that and a leup MK4, with MOA/yard hybrid turrets..

May have to try both, and see what one I like best.

I think most of these guys dont understand you want it on a hunting rig, not a mile LR set up...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John, just curious- why not a conquest with a z-600 then? you won't be spinning turrets so tracking is a non-issue. Lots less money than the NF.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Amen Rosco. wink

Sako,

I want the option of dialing and a reticle that offers a longer shot format.

I also want the option of being able to dial for windage.

By having both, If I shoot a different load, I won't be hamstrung with a ballistic reticle that doesn't line up and be forced to re-zero at odd yardages, I can just dial it in.

Best,

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just want to know where yall are getting good low light performance nightforce sccopes? Because I have yet to own one with that kind of glass. I have a halfdozen or more NXS and love them for the durability/repeatibility, but think the glass is lacking in low light. Not saying the glass is terrible, just not in the same class as some other high end makers. They are very tough, only had to send one back for repairs, ever. I am getting to the point that I only purchase NXS scopes for braked longrange rifles where the toughness and repeatibility is really needed.
I do not own one of the 2.5x10s but have all of the NXS higher magnification variables. That could be why I am less than impressed with the glass. Maybe I am just hung up on low light performance.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe I am just hung up on low light performance.

An absolute must have for me in a hunting scope. 95% of the deer I shoot are at closing time.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rosco1
I think most of these guys dont understand you want it on a hunting rig, not a mile LR set up...

I think everyone understood that, but he did say he wanted it to serve double duty on steel out to 600 in addition to hunting, and he specified he wanted MOA knobs. Given the two scopes he was considering, it was reasonable to assume he wanted to do a lot of ranging and knob turning, and that maybe he might be considering occasionally airing it out further. Otherwise, why spend the extra $ over the Conquest with Rapid Z? It will fill the medium range, mixed application role very well for quite a bit less money. If you plan to do a lot of knob spinning, it's only natural to discuss those scopes that are mechanically best suited for that role, and once you step up to the NF level, you're only a stone's throw away from stuff that's even better.

The NF will serve you well, and is never a bad choice. I think I would get the Velocity reticle too.

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

FWIW, we've got a conquest 4.5-14x40 and 3.5-10x40, both with turrets, and think very highly of them. I've never wanted to spend $1500+ on a scope and our conquest reinforce that desire.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've found Conquest to be a bit better than NF in low light as well.

Ted
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Interesting that will all the opinions, nobody has dumped on Schmidt & Bender.
The USMC also seems happy with them. The serious ones are also FFP, so with the proper reticle, knob cranking for holdover is not usually necessary for any reasonable ranges.They are heavy but most folks don't wish to put one on a Kimber Montana.

Yes they are expensive, but when you're sitting in the rest home, drooling on yourself, wearing a diaper and you don't know who you are ..... does it really matter if you're broke ? just sayin'

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
when you're sitting in the rest home, drooling on yourself, wearing a diaper and you don't know who you are

So you know JM pretty well eh? laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
3.5-10x40 Leupold with B&C reticle and after fitted with M1's or CDS in moa with zero stop. Go windage turret too if wanted. All for less money and probably as good optically. Then buy yourself a stock with the money you saved!

Just pulled this out of my arse, but it fits the bill. I wanted to keep this thread going too.

Thank me later. Bahahahaha.........

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"low light", I've taken game with a damn tasco, that quite frankly was well past legal shooting hours, and here we are questioning if a NF is good enuff?Drives me nuts to hear guys harp on it, and makes me wonder how much some people actually hunt...Its normally jeffo that beats that drum the loudest.

Just sayin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Better is still better. I've made shots with cheap scopes in low light too, but so what? Scopes with better low light performance still allow you to see greater detail and take further shots in low light. If you're not talking about an increase in money, as is the case here, it's something to consider. What could be the downside to having better low light visibility? The fact is, some scopes have better low light performance than others. That's just one of many factors to consider when buying a scope. Where I live, I can legally hunt all night long for hogs and predators, and I do just that, year round. So, I've seen first-hand which scopes give me an advantage in low light. I own samples from all the scopes mentioned in this thread except USO and Premier, and I can tell you from lots of time spent behind them that to my eyes, NF is not as good as the others in low light.

Ted
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So is it safe to assume you do not own a 1.5�6 x 42 Schmidt and Bender with a No. 7 FlashDot reticle ? Might prove "eye opening".

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rosco1
"low light", I've taken game with a damn tasco, that quite frankly was well past legal shooting hours, and here we are questioning if a NF is good enuff?Drives me nuts to hear guys harp on it, and makes me wonder how much some people actually hunt...Its normally jeffo that beats that drum the loudest.

Just sayin

Try taking those shots at the end of legal shooting hours in long shaded shooting lanes at extended distance and you will know why NXS is not good enough. I do a lot of deer watching at long range with various scopes, NXS is not even close to the best for longrange shooting in low light. Until dark they cannot be beat as a long range scope, things change when light gets low. I do not shoot deer on my place but watch them almost daily eating at a corn feeder I keep out at 700 yards. If I were inclined to shoot a deer at that feeder I would rely on something other than NXS.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NF is not as good as the others in low light.

And the NF compact models are the worst offenders in the NF line!

Having spent a little time behind both scopes mentioned by the OP I can tell you there isn't a huge amount of difference in the glass quality of either scope mentioned and neither are great low light performers. One is reasonably priced but you get it one way except for a choice of reticles. The other will be custom made just for you but you'll pay a premium for that privledge and it may need to go back several times to get it right.

Now on the subject of low light performance. The difference between the best and the worst of any of the scopes mentioned so far equates to probably no more than 3 min. shooting time. Some find that worth an extra $1000.00 and some don't.

I personaly think if you really want the scope for hunting you'd do a lot better getting away from all this specialized tactical crap anyway.

Terry

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

Paraphrasing Lowlight (Frank) of Snipershide and Rifles Only: "No one ever missed because they had a NightForce."

Also, Zero stop is great for a Sniper, who dials dope, shoots and moves. When the shot is sent, you crank it down to the Zero Stop point and don't have to worry about where you left the dials.

Nightforce is a fine optic, you will be pleased with your choice.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I will agree with your 3 minute assesment at normal ranges, at longer ranges I have noticed longer periods between NXS becoming useless and say Hensoldt or even Premier becoming useless. Otherwise NXS cannot be beaten IMO. I wish I could find a scope that would allow long range viewing at least as much as a Kowa 88 spotter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll take your word for it..And some day I may eat my words.While I have taken game past 700, there was plenty of shooting light.

The only time I thought I really had an edge with a scope in low light while hunting was on a muley buck.We sized him up with the spotter, and by the time we got the gap closed and set up for the 400 yard shot it was damn near dark, and he was still hanging out just inside of some dark pines..I could still see him ok thru my 3-12x56 V/MV, after I made the shot I was thinking I was glad I had that scope..I asked my friend (that was gonna shoot back up in case I missed) if he could even see him, he said he could see him fine. He had a VXII 3-9x40..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Laffin.

I don't night hunt. Half hour after sunset I'm done. I don't shoot at Whitetails past 400 yds. and I certainly ain't gonna try that shot at dark.

The two clubs I whitetail hunt at, there are only 2 areas that I can see that far. Where we shoot hogs, the range is never over 150 yds. usually in the 40-50 yd range.

Now coyotes are different. We call them during the day when light is not a problem. We hunt farm fields surrounded by timber, so the ranges are longer. I have killed them out to 600+ yds. and missed my share too.

To the Poster who suggested getting away from this "tactical crap" for hunting applications, all I can say is you wouldn't do too well holding over with a plex on some of our yote hunts...

If you can't dial or use a some type of ballistic reticle, you are gonna miss alot more than a fella who can. I've done it both ways, so I know. You will be S.O.L past 400 holding over with a plex reticle.

By having both Dials & BDC, I am able to use multiple loads. Don't have to be a genius to see the advantage in that.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EddyBo,

Would you say a Nightforce 12-42X56 is not as good as a Swarovski Z5 5-25X52 in low light?

Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Three of our local SWAT team were over at the range the other day when I was there...I talked to them a little about their equipment..

they use Rem 700s in 308, with a 20 inch barrel.. and for Optics, they had Nightforce Mounted on them....

they had said they tested US Optics, Schmidt and Bender, Doctor, Swarofski and several other high end optics..

they settled on Nightforce as the best in their opinions...

just passing that on...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
rosco1,

I could still see him ok thru my 3-12x56 V/MV, after I made the shot I was thinking I was glad I had that scope..I asked my friend (that was gonna shoot back up in case I missed) if he could even see him, he said he could see him fine. He had a VXII 3-9x40..

A guy I hunt with can see in the dark way better than me, so for me to tell you he used a Leupold and I used a Zeiss tells the group nothing. Without knowing if you are normal or below normal and your buddy is above normal this tells us nothing. Perhaps he would have done jsut as well with a Tasco. Do you know if you are or he is?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
EddyBo,

Would you say a Nightforce 12-42X56 is not as good as a Swarovski Z5 5-25X52 in low light?

Dunno, I do not own a Swarovski Z5. I can only compare the NXS scopes I own to others that I own or have had in my possession for a while. I think NXS is a great value and a great scope just not great for shooting in low light at long range. But most of the experiances are just watching deer on my range, or shooting long range targets late. Sometimes there just are not enough hours in the day to get done shooting. I do a lot of pig hunting also, usually at long range, NXS is not the best tool for the job, but better than many.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm pretty sure I'm the special one

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Conquest with Target turrets. They have 18MOA per revolution, which is plenty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Well, John, may I throw another into the mix. I have a Z5 5-25X52 Swarovski for $1,299. According to the folks at Swarovski, with its new patented set up, it can handle the recoil of a 50BBMG.

Interesting. Just how much recoil does a 50 have? I have shot 2. A Barrett and an Armalite. Both pulled AWAY from my shoulder at the shot due to the massive brake and the direction the gasses vere directed. If anyone is shooting a brakeless 50BMG, they need their head examined. Just always thought that "claim" from optics companies rather amusing.

Custom Strings/Tuning
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To the Poster who suggested getting away from this "tactical crap" for hunting applications, all I can say is you wouldn't do too well holding over with a plex on some of our yote hunts...

You're paying for stuff you'll never use was my point. I promise once you get past the initial joy of buying the scope you'll find the lighted reticle useless with the small objective, You'll enjoy the clarity of your new toy but soon find out that lowlight and thin reticles are a bad combination for a hunting rig. Both scopes mentioned have an extremely small eye box and can be aggravating to use at high power. All this for an extended turret. Some folks just have to learn the hard way (me.) I owned a NF Compact and took it hunting ONCE.

I really enjoyed the scope. It was a marvel at the range, but for hunting applications you could do much better.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 03/10/11.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
JM, I have sent about 400 rounds downrange and a few thru critters, have the 2.5x10 NF bolted to a 505 Gibbs, no failures, 600gns. @2400fps. makes an unmistakable point for durability.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You make alot of assumptions about how I hunt. Find that amusing being that we've never met or hunted together...

I've got turrets on several scopes and do use them, quite often.

I'm going to pass on the Mil-dot reticle because I think it may be an issue in low light.

However, A gent in our club has the velocity reticle I mentioned, he was nice enought to let me look thru his scope one evening and I had no trouble seeing the reticle or the surrounding area in legal shooting light.

That's why I am going with it instead of the Mil-dot.

I've killed deer using a K 1.5. with a crosshair reticle out of some dark holes, never had an issue in legal shooting light and these scopes aren't know for their clarity, lens coating and low light performance.... whistle

Since you are adamant about it, I'll lay my money down for the scope with the agreement that I can bring it back the next day if I feel that it is going to handicap me in lowlight situations.

I think that's a good idea and hopefully will keep me from possibly making a mistake.

JM

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JawnHenry
So is it safe to assume you do not own a 1.5�6 x 42 Schmidt and Bender with a No. 7 FlashDot reticle ? Might prove "eye opening".

Since you posted right after me... if you're asking me, no... but I do own the exact same scope (S&B 1.5-6X42 Zenith) with the #9 Flashdot reticle, and yessir, it is indeed eye opening! Outstanding optic in every way except weight. In fact, it may very well be my favorite hunting scope.

John, at the shot distances and price limit you've outlined here, you're kinda in that borderline territory where a true tactical style optic is really not going to be much more useful to you than just a good hunting scope with a ballistic reticle of some sort and maybe an elevation knob. This is the reason for the wide discrepancy in recommendations. If you don't really need all the tactical scope features for a hunting optic used at medium distances, then why have the additional weight and cost associated with having features you may seldom ever use? I don't think the NF 2.5-10 is a bad choice, although it's objective diameter is small for its power range, so light transmission will suffer. If you want a scope with 10X at the upper end, a 42mm (or larger) objective will give you better light transmission when you dial up past 5X.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I guess you didn't read my post about our yote hunting either.

This is done year around, whitetails get chased for 3 months.

How am I not going to not use turrets on longer shots 9 months out of the year????

Weight? The scope weighs 19 oz. and is 12" long, hence the name COMPACT. I don't want to hang a meter long scope on this rifle. I want the turrets as I shoot different loads at yotes and deer.

Comprende?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess you didn't read my post about our yote hunting either.

This is done year around, whitetails get chased for 3 monnths.

How am I not going to use it on longer shots 9 months out of the year????

Geez..

I hear what you're saying, and I agree.

But you did specify a 450 yd limit on game, 600 yd limit on steel earlier, and we can only go on our assumptions based on what you said.

My comments were just intended to help you look at all options. When you look at any piece of gear, you weigh all the pros and cons and decide based on what has more check marks in the pro column. I don't know ultimately how you'll use your scope, which is why I asked on page 1.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Go back and look. Yotes 600+. 400 on whitetails. You are not using what I said

The turrets afford the opportunity to use different loads without re-sighting a BDC for odd ranges.

I've looked at the options. I want something small, with medium magnification, that has a ballsitic ret. and turrets, which fit my intended use for the rifle.

My only reservation is low light performance, and my post to TC addressed that. If it fails in that dept. I'll go back and look at others.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Weight? The scope weighs 19 oz. and is 12" long, hence the name COMPACT. I don't want to hang a meter long scope on this rifle. I want the turrets as I shoot different loads at yotes and deer.

Comprende?

You added this after I was already responding to you first comment.

No, the NXS isn't a heavy scope, but you are or were originally considering the USO SN3 as well, which is most definitely a heavy scope by any definition of the term. Plus weight is a relative term. Even though the 2.5-10X32 NXS isn't a long or heavy scope, it's heavy compared to other 32mm scopes and you can get quite a few 42mm class scopes in the same power range for the same or less weight.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
There was a used USO I could pick up for a steal, that's why I asked about that scope.

You stated additional weight, I simply pointed out that you were wrong.

The paramters have been explained, you won't accept them. So I suggest you get some skin in the game and buy me the scope you would choose.

Until then, worry about Lindsay Lohan's legal trouble, Somali pirates and the debt.

Don't start debating what another man decides is best for his application without knowing or even reading what he states it is for.

I'll be waiting on that free scope.

JM

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crystal ball? You seem to get offended very easily.

Terry

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

C'mon man, give me a break. Any mention of "yotes" didn't enter any of your posts until your last post on the previous page, and by then, all recommendations had already been made. Even then, you made only a passing comment about once missing yotes at 600, not really stating this scope would be used for distances past what you talked about earlier.

We can only go on what you say.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just don't have alot of patience with those who continually offer opinions without bothering to read....

Making the same mistake 3 times, ignoring the explanations of use 3 times gets a little old.

I'm past child rearing age so I guess may patience is a little thin. grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There was a used USO I could pick up for a steal, that's why I asked about that scope.

You stated additional weight, I simply pointed out that you were wrong.

The paramters have been explained, you won't accept them. So I suggest you get some skin in the game and buy me the scope you would choose.

Until then, worry about Lindsay Lohan's legal trouble, Somali pirates and the debt.

Don't start debating what another man decides is best for his application without knowing or even reading what he states it is for.

I'll be waiting on that free scope.

JM

Haha! Man, you sure are wound up tight over something so trivial as another man's opinions!

I didn't realize there was an absolute right or wrong here, otherwise if you already knew what you needed, I'm guessing you wouldn't have asked for people's opinions.

I totally accept whatever parameters you outlined. I'm just telling you where the 2.5-10X32 NXS falls short as a hunting scope, so you can weigh all your options based on what's most important to you. As I said, it's a good scope, but all scopes involve one compromise or another. It's your money, buy whatever you want, but you asked for opinions. I gave mine from the perspective of someone who has been there, done that with most of the scopes discussed here.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

C'mon man, give me a break. Any mention of "yotes" didn't enter any of your posts until your last post on the previous page, and by then, all recommendations had already been made. Even then, you made only a passing comment about once missing yotes at 600, not really stating this scope would be used for distances past what you talked about earlier.

We can only go on what you say.

And you still ignore it. laffin'. I don't owe you an explantion . I asked for opinions on a few scopes. The yote deal was thrown out there to satisfy you ladies curiosity and you still ignored it.

I don't need advice on application, I simply asked for feedback on the scopes mentioned.

That's the problem with this forum. Lots of good info can be had, but it's ruined by a the few arm chair experts who come running looking for a debate.

Still waiting on that scope.... grin

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just don't have alot of patience with those who continually offer opinions without bothering to read....

Making the same mistake 3 times, ignoring the explanations of use 3 times gets a little old.

I'm past child rearing age so I guess may patience is a little thin. grin

If that had been the case here, then I would agree with you. I read every word you said and responded to your posts in kind. I was also replying to others posts besides yours so some of my comments were in response to them, not you. Since we're on the topic of reading what people say, notice nowhere in my posts did I ever talk down to you or respond to you with sarcasm. Are you normally this hypersensitive?

Ted
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I totally accept whatever parameters you outlined. I'm just telling you where the 2.5-10X32 NXS falls short as a hunting scope, so you can weigh all your options based on what's most important to you. As I said, it's a good scope, but all scopes involve one compromise or another. It's your money, buy whatever you want, but you asked for opinions. I gave mine from the perspective of someone who has been there, done that with most of the scopes discussed here.

This is useful, repeatedly telling me what I will and will not use without having a clue is just guessing and of no help.

Too many times on this forum a simple question turns into a "No, you need this or that if you are doing this."

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

And you still ignore it. laffin'. I don't owe you an explantion . I asked for opinions on a few scopes. The yote deal was thrown out there to satisfy you ladies curiosity and you still ignored it.

I don't need advice on application, I simply asked for feedback on the scopes mentioned.

That's the problem with this forum. Lots of good info can be had, but it's ruined by a the few arm chair experts who come running looking for a debate.

Still waiting on that scope.... grin

I didn't "ignore" anything. I gave you advice on the 2 scopes mentioned. Others mentioned other scopes, and you said you were open to other options, so I participated in the discussion. I am not looking for a debate; I gave my opinions, based not on "arm chair" reports but actual in-field use. You steered it into debate mode on your own.

Ted
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read your explanations and I hope you buy the scope.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Save the electrons...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You and TC harped on application instead of answering the question, so you could step forward and show your uninvited expertise.

The post below just proves that you are still wanting to argue over dumb schit. laffin'

I didn't "ignore" anything. I gave you advice on the 2 scopes mentioned. Others mentioned other scopes, and you said you were open to other options, so I participated in the discussion. I am not looking for a debate; I gave my opinions, based not on "arm chair" reports but actual in-field use. You steered it into debate mode on your own.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Save the electrons...

Maybe if you went and powdered your ginny you wouldn't be so irritable. Now that's just an assumption.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You do poorly when you assume, as do most.

I addressed your "tactical crap" assumptions, with a simple & logical explanation of why I needed to dial.

I do appreciate the low light comments and will check that before I buy.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No feelers hurt here. I found your comments to be rude and responded in kind. My comments and opinions of the NF NXS compact are based on the experience of having owned and used one. I'm no expert and never claimed such. when I bought mine it was to be for range work and hunting. I found it excelled in one role and failed in another.

The tactical crap comment had nothing to do with a turret. You just assumed that.

All that aside I hope you get a scope that suits your wants
and needs.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You offered some valuable info and I appreciate it.

The low light is a concern, called Simmons and they said I could bring it home and try it tonight.

Gonna print out a resolution chart and get somewhere so I can test it at distance.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You and TC harped on application instead of answering the question, so you could step forward and show your uninvited expertise.

The post below just proves that you are still wanting to argue over dumb schit. laffin'

I answered the questions you asked, and I did so minus the rudeness and sarcasm you're displaying. Most of my comments were in response to others' posts in this thread, not yours. My only posts to you were in direct response to what you said. I don't wish to argue with you or anyone else. I don't care what scope you buy. I hope you're happy with whatever you choose, and by all means, keep on "laffin."

Ted
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While you're looking it over take notice of how critical the eye box is when the power is cranked up. This doesn't bother some people, but it does some. I think you'll like the clarity, I did.

Terry

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Will do. Gonna pick her up in a little while.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I answered the questions you asked, and I did so minus the rudeness and sarcasm you're displaying. Most of my comments were in response to others' posts in this thread, not yours. My only posts to you were in direct response to what you said. I don't wish to argue with you or anyone else. I don't care what scope you buy. I hope you're happy with whatever you choose, and by all means, keep on "laffin."

You just won't give up.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

If you're still considering a conquest, think about having Zeiss put a German #4 in it, along with their target turrets. Likely going to have this mod done to my 3-9. Zeiss told me the subtension on the thin part of the #4 is .4" @ 100 which is thin enough for precision shooting on game, yet the thick part makes close low light shots pretty workable. $75 to have the reticle put in, and $50 per turret.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Picked up the 2.5-10 NXS and just got a chance to handle it some. The one I looke thru yesterday with the Velocity reticle is gone, I liked that reticle because it's lines were much bolder than the mil-dot.

This one has the NP-R2 reticle, which is as hard to see when not illuminated as the Mil-dot was.

One thing is for sure, it doesn't have a very forgiving eyebox @ 7X and above.

Didn't remember it being this critical on the one I looked thru previously, maybe because it was mounted on a rifle vs. me holding it, but it's defintely small.

In good daylight the glass is comparable to my 2.5-10X44 Monarch X and resolves a tad better than my Leupold VX-III. Details don't really stand out like in my Diavari, but I didn't expect it to.

The scope can be had for $1099 (it's new-no zero stop), so was hoping it would fit the bill. Will have to see how it does tonight before I decide.

Must say the eye box has me thinking more of the Conquest now.

JM

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Go back and look. Yotes 600+.

I'd like to see that...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Can you hit 10" High x 12" wide steel @ 600 shooting with a rest?

Believe it or not, alot of folks can. You have to actually practice though.

Come down and in 30 min. you'll be hitting it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
A coyote's vitals are 5-6" top to bottom. And I don't carry a bench with me when hunting...

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don't impose your limitations on others. We've done this for decades here, but I'm sure you know everything about it. whistle

A decent coyote will weigh 25-30 lbs here. They are larger than 5"-6" from brisket to back bone. A hit anywhere in between is fatal.

I've hit them in the hip and killed 'em.

Go shoot a few and you'll discover this.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's funny.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Claiming an animal that weighs 25-30 lbs has to be hit in the vitals to make it stay put is even funnier and puts someone in the "I'm guessing again camp" blush

It must be hell to shoot those rock chucks and have them escape because they weren't hit in the vitals....

Laffin .

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's even more funnier.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
You being jobless is quite entertaining and easily understandable.

Just like my previous post. Experience pays, just can't be at doing nothing.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Oh. Well more than one member on this board has met me personally and can attest to my being employed.

Sometimes my memory is a little fuzzy but I think I remember shooting a dog or two as well.

Best of luck with your scope and hip shooting coyotes...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks deflation, Hope your trailer park isn't too loud tonight, being that checks went out first of the month.

It's friday ya' know!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks John. If only I made enough money to afford the glass you are looking to buy. You must be doing so well for yourself.

Drill those [bleep]'s right in the hips buddy. Gets em' every time....

Travis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
John, I have probably killed more yotes than you have even seen. I have trapped them, snared them, and called them. I also have access to a tape measure, the the rib cage from top to bottom is 5-6". They are mostly fluff. I have also seen a dog hit in the ass go for miles...

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JM, if the NF dont work out, try this one out for me next smile
Its about the same $ as the NF, you can get it with M3 hybrids too.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-...s/mark-4-3-5-10x40mm-lrt-m1-front-focal/

I had my doubts about the NPR2 in a compact, and the eyebox sucking is a deal breaker for me, I suffered a 4.5-14 long enuff to despise that in a scope.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You just don't have any experience with dogs obviously. Everybody knows hip shots drop 'em easily...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like the M3's. I prefer as close to consatant eye relief as I can get throughout the magnification range, but it is defintely worth a look. A little bigger than what I wanted on this rifle.

I'm gonna give the nightforce a run tonight, but I'm disappointed I don't have the thicker Velocity reticle to check out.

The eye box deal is also a little concerning, should it not perform up to my expectations tonight, you or anyone else that wants this scope, can get it for $1099. That's about 150 less than others I've seen.

Jm

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'd like to see that...LOL

5"-6" wide from brisket to back bone...there is certainly more to hit that that. I agree they do have a small vital area, but it is not nec. to hit them there to achieve a kill at great distances. Anything in the chest will do the trick.

Coyotes typically grow to up to 30�34 in (76�86 cm) in length, not counting a tail of 12�16 in (30�41 cm), stand about 23�26 in (58�66 cm) at the shoulder and, on average, weigh from 15�46 lb (6.8�21 kg)

Based on this, your claim that a yote is only 6" deep at the chest would make him resemble a large snake with a dogs head. His grith does't decrease dramatically until you move back out of the rib cage.

I haven't seen to many that look like that, and I've seen hundreds of them. The offer stands to come hunt some here. We'd gave a good time and you would owe me lunch.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Uh huh....

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Deflation,

Uh

that's not a very intelligent answer, but I understand it's about all that you can muster with that bong resin coated brain. For goodness sake man, Put the dope down and get a job.

I'll try to schedule and unemployed - trailer park benefit hunt for you later in the year.

BTW, Do you hunt?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That was a very cute "google" and edit you did to put those dog measurements in there John.

I've never hunted before but I do watch the TV shows on occasion.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anymore info would have forced you to into cerebral overload and made nap time a necessity.

Glad your awake, if only semi conscious.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You're 'yotes must be puzzies down there. Dogs not hit well up here can go for a loooong ways.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Based on his post I'd bet he's never shot any. Any where....

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Careful he doesn't break your arm. laugh

MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i once had to track down a double lunged coyote for three miles through knee deep snow and finish him off when i caught up to him.

tough little sob...

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Deflation is less than insigficicant.

The goatlovergruff is just an akcnowledged troll, rumor has he's swampmans' boy.

Stupidity is obviously and inherited trait...laffin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Keep talking, I needed a good laugh today. Thanks.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by toad
i once had to track down a double lunged coyote for three miles through knee deep snow and finish him off when i caught up to him.

tough little sob...

toad, you moron. SHOOT THEM IN THE HIPS!!! grin

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

The goatlovergruff is just an akcnowledged troll, rumor has he's swampmans' boy.

If I had no clue on the given topic I'd stomp my foot via the keyboard as well...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Post a pic of yourself, that way we can all laugh. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd rather see a pic of you and a dead coyote.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

If I had no clue on the given topic I'd stomp my foot via the keyboard as well...

Travis

Hope you don't hurt your foot dumbass...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Aim for the hips!

Clueless little bitch that you are...

Travis

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Typical thread in the optics forum smile

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
JohnPoses,

I have to run but before I go, here is the requested pic of BGG so you have something to beat it up to this evening. I know most chicks dig beards so this should suit you well.

[Linked Image]

Travis

P.S. That critter at his feet is what a dead coyote looks like. You are free to guess how many rounds that dog took in the hips before giving up the ghost.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Deflation, Can't tell what that is, fox or dink deer. wink Tip: ease up on your free gov't cheese.

Clueless bitch??? LOL. big words for an unemployed fat man a 1000 miles away, but I understand your frustration.

Maybe if you would have had Goatloverfluff's mythical 700 338 RUM that shoots 225 gr. interlocks an amazing 3150 fps using a 100 grains of retumbo, you would have done better.

Even though Hodgon says you can only get 3050 out of a 103 grains with that powder/bullet weight combo.....

He must have a 30" barrel. LOL

I guess pretending is all some folks got.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did the lowlight test a little while ago.

I knew with a 32MM objective it would be less than my other scopes, but there was a discernible difference in the abilty to resolve, even when compared to my VX-III that has a 40MM objective.

The NP-R2 would be hard for me to use at low light. Wish like hell I would have had one with the Velcocity reticle.

Gonna turn this one back in, might wait until they get one with the velcoity reticle and try again.

If anyone is interested in a NF 2.5-10x33 compact with NP-R2, you can get this one for $1099.

JM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice edit. wink WTF are you a stalker now?

Nothing mythical about that load. I've chrony'd it, several times, and had a buddy witness it. I haven't seen any published data from Hodgdon with Retumbo and the 225 grain interlock. Could you let me know where you saw it so I could reference it? BTW it's a stock BDL w/ a 26" tube. And since we are on the Optics forum it wears a Conquest 3-9.

But back to the topic at hand, I'd really like to see some pics of you with a dead coyote. That particular dog soaked up a 300 grain hp going 2150 fps out of a 45/70 through the guts, and multiple hits from deflave's AR. I believe they were 40 gr vmax's. He still ran. He was close enough that through my 2.75x Burris I could see the fur fly. Literally. And he still ran several hundred yards. When I walked up on him he had one of his legs in his mouth, chewing to beat hell. When you've actually shot coyotes you have plenty to talk about the subject.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Man, super yotes huh? How many shots does it take you to get a prairie dog down?

Need 338's huh. laffin' at the lies. You were banking on that bullet being unpublished to get away with your fib. Busted...

Yotes are a small, lightly built animal and are fairly easy to anchor if the bullet contacts bone and will occasionally stop and gnaw at any immediately non lethal wound that doesn't contact bone.

I'd rather take out a rear end than gut shoot one, if keeping him there is the point...

If what you said happened, and I have my doubts, it was an anomaly and certainly not the norm when gunning dogs.

If you actually shot them, you might know this.

You ladies keep dreaming and I'll keep hunting.

JM

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm having fun with this, but lay off the heavy chit. I'm no liar, here or in person. Here's another anecdote while I wait for your pics. I hit a dog last winter just like you espoused earlier. In the hips with a .224 75 grain amax. It spun and did the funky chicken and took off at mach4 for parts unknown. When I surveyed the spot he was when hit, I found a big chunk of bone. I think you may have missed the point made earlier in the thread, in that coyotes are normally tough critters. I doubt the dogs here are any harder to kill than the dogs anywhere else. If you had killed a few of them then you would know this. Yet you still keep spouting bullschite. Carry on.

MAGA
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hi John, I'm glad you got to try it before you bought it. IMO, if they called that scope the "game hunter" and it came in a light colored box with a picture of a deer on it I think they would have a hard time getting $700 for it, hence the tactical crap comment. I hope it makes a little more sense now that you've spent some time with one.

I replaced mine with a Leupold that cost about half as much and think I have a much more usable scope now. The Leupold doesn't have the same clarity but it does everything else much better than the NF compact.

I really like NF scopes, just not the compact models.

Best of luck on your search!

Terry

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
SillyGoatfluff,

I can't say I'm suprised that Mr. man titties shooting a 45-70 and a bozo with an AR could barely manage to get a yote down after engaging in a small fire fight.

Kinda proves my point... grin

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
35gr Berger, 204...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TC1
Hi John, I'm glad you got to try it before you bought it. IMO, if they called that scope the "game hunter" and it came in a light colored box with a picture of a deer on it I think they would have a hard time getting $700 for it, hence the tactical crap comment. I hope it makes a little more sense now that you've spent some time with one.

I replaced mine with a Leupold that cost about half as much and think I have a much more usable scope now. The Leupold doesn't have the same clarity but it does everything else much better than the NF compact.

I really like NF scopes, just not the compact models. May wait and see what the VX6 looks like.

Best of luck on your search!

Terry

You hit the nail on the head regarding the eyebox. I think it would be fine for a daylight target scope, not suited to my eyes, at least not for hunting.

Gonna keep on looking. Leupy and Conquest are next on the list.

Thanks for the advice.

JM

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
35gr Berger, 204...

[Linked Image]

Nice pic. What rifle and scope you using?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
M700, BC stock, Kampfeld knob. Had a Pentax 4.5-14 in that pic, now wears a Sightron 4.5-14.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In that open country, you could use a rest for sure.

We use electronic calls and set them up mid field on agricultural ground after the harvest or when the crops are still small.

Somtimes it brings them straight in (about 150 yds away), most of the time they just come out of the tree line 50 - 100yds or so yds and stop, which makes for a long shot from our set up, but that's what we are after.

We usually set up in irrigation ditches that cross the fields, these usually have elevated banks to retain water, so I pack my shooting rest with me as we are 3-5 ft. higher than the rest of the field.

Hit some, miss some but it's alot of fun.

JM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
SillyGoatfluff,

I can't say I'm suprised that Mr. man titties shooting a 45-70 and a bozo with an AR could barely manage to get a yote down after engaging in a small fire fight.

Kinda proves my point... grin

Keep avoiding the fact that you're clueless JohnPoses...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here is a funny fact deflation,

You two monkeys gotta empty an AR and use a 45-70 to bring down a boney yote.

That you told on yourselves is further evidence of your deep rooted, mind boggling stupidity.

You gals are a barrel of laughs.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
JM, I have sent about 400 rounds downrange and a few thru critters, have the 2.5x10 NF bolted to a 505 Gibbs, no failures, 600gns. @2400fps. makes an unmistakable point for durability.

Gunner

That combination sounds like the proverbial oil/water mix to me! A 10X Nightforce on a 505 Gibbs??

Dude...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (12344mag, 219DW, 160user, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,273
Posts18,486,635
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.