Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5034439 03/11/11
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got a call from a fellow breeder of German Shorthair Pointers at the start of the week, it was something I never want to really hear about but we all experience losses no matter. It is just part of the big picture when you bred and raise dogs.

He told me he lost his best brood bitch and all of her puppies, which were almost weaned off of her. I listened to him explain the whole situation from start to finish and then asked some questions.

These pups would have been some outstanding bird dogs in the near future. The Bitch was out of national champion Ricky's Rollin Thunder.

Well my question to All of You is this: Now have any of you folks heard of a NEW VIRUS going around that kills puppies or bitches with puppies???

This puppies were given their shots and mother was up on her shots. This man did not take the pups to the VET, instead he administered an antibiotic himself and he thought the pups and mother were improving but they died one by one 4 or 5 days later.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very sad to hear about something like that. What part of the country is he in? Did the symptoms look like anything he's seen or heard of before?
Haven't heard anything from the show ring or any of the kennel forums that I belong to.

The first question that comes to mind is what brand of vaccine was he using and where did he get it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tonk,

Did this guy have any of the puppies and/or the Bitch "Posted" (examined after death by a Vet for cause of death)

Administered an antibiotic himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

For what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

The antibiotic killed all the bacteria including the beneficial bacteria; which is critical to proper assimilation of nutrition. Probiotics should have been administered!

Never take a shotgun approach to antibiotics!!!!!!!

I could say much more, but it isn't nice.

However you can�t fix stupid!

A real shame�������.

Last edited by Reba; 03/12/11.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There of course is Parvo, did he do Parvo test on them? Parvo, I am told can get in the ground & is a breeders worst nightmare. It can stay in ground for long time.

There is also a virus called Corona, which almost got Raider. I brought him home, stopped at Cabelas in Grand Island, NE. let him out to empty, was 8 weeks old. We think that is where he got Corona, it is not as lethal as Parvo (but can kill) but same symptoms. Time frame sounds similar.

Picked up on Saturday, next Friday he wouldn't eat started runny mucious stools but no blood, throwing up everything water included. Had to use syringe to get water, yougurt in him, throw it right back up. My vet was gone, fill in gave him shot to help with throw ups & anitbiotics.

Called my breeder which gave instructions on how to try to feed him, took back in next day, my vet was back, IV of fluids in his back under skin, Sunday little better in morning then started again, took him back in, vet put in catheter in leg & IV. He personaly took him home the next 3 days putting in IV & watching him. Was able to take him home on Thursday, no residuals fine now a year later.

The virus sluffs off the inner linings of the intestines which take about a week to grow back so they can process any food. It was really pretty close. None of the other pups or mother had any problems, so we know he picked it up after leaving kennel, agin Cabelas - think how many dogs are let out to empty there. All he had to do was sniff the droppings of a dog (carrier or sick) that had it & the residuals from the poop of the carrier can last over 6 months from what I read. So is probably always there.

Lesson is never let your new pup (I try not even now) to empty at any location where other dogs are let out, convience stores, truck stops, hotels, parks, Cabelas, always stop several blocks away or remote area where they won't be exposed. There is a time/window where even though they have shots, they are just coming off thier mothers colestreum that they are vurnerable.

All you old breeders probably already know this but for new guys, it might be new infromation.

To this case ? if the pups got it & mom cleaning up after them directly ingesting it could it have been strong enough to overide her shots? I am sure he wasn't givig IV fluids which was the only thing that saved Raider.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen, the breeder & trainer in question lives North of Springfield, Missouri. He raises some very good German Shorthair Pointers and competes in local field trails as well.

The sad thing is that he did NOT take any of the pups in to the Vets office to find out just what did in fact cause there demise. I wish he would have but this old country boy that he could just give antibiotics and things would be OK.

I Questioned him for over an hour and took nots! I have a suspicion that it may have even resulted from the dog food the breeder feed those dogs. The reason being is that he ran out of dog food and went to a local dealer and purchased a NEW BAG of Dimond Puppy dog food. Nothing else had been feed those pups or mother but this new food.

I told him to take that food and have it tested but I don't know if that will happen or not. He figures the damage has been done already and his losses are his. Flash!!! I also found out that a 1.5 year old house dog, was also feed food out of the same bag and it also died. It was a small breed dog called a Mexican Chihuahua.

Last edited by Tonk; 03/12/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Was Diamond one of those that had the Chinese posion food? Maybe have been an old bag laying around that never was returned or thrown away? I read where on ther Fire where someone was using 2 brands of dog food & his got sick but didn't die, one of the 2 was one of the bad foods. He says if he had only fed the bad one he felt his would have died also. So he always feeds 2 different brands now for that reason.

I can't say I have ever heard real good things about Diamond, one person told me his dogs would not "take" during breedings & was foud to be Diamond. ?

Last edited by Siggy32; 03/12/11.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction. - Billy the Kid.

Democracy is two wolves & a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
- Benjamin Franklin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't imagine ANYBODY loosing a bitch and entire litter over somekind of mystery occoruance and not doing EVERYTHING within thier power to isolate the cause. If for nothing more than to avoid, or at least reduce, the chances of it happening again...Sorry, that just makes no sence to me..... crazy crazy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Siggy32
Was Diamond one of those that had the Chinese posion food? Maybe have been an old bag laying around that never was returned or thrown away?

This could very well be possible but I doubt it. The recall was over a year ago and dealers rotate their stock when it gets old. If there is another recall of any dogfood presently on the market, I would be the first to know.

I would still like to know more about his vaccination protocol.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This is just unreal. These are supposedly outstanding bird dog prospects and the guy who has them dieing can't be bothered to take them to a DVM??? Being fed third rate dog food with a history of problems???

Note to self until this person is named, any GSP breeder I do not personally know is an ass clown that hasn't got the sense to hold his freaking ears apart.

Self vaccination is entirely capable of being at the root oF things like this. Just a simple lack of refrigeration for a period in shipment ANYWHERE IN THE CHAIN OF CUSTODY could render the vaccines ineffective. Just dumping an antibiotic into a sick animal without knowing why you're doing it is not just irresponsible, it is unlikely to be effective, it's entirely capable of being harmful, and who ever gave him the antibiotics probably ought to be turned in to the state vet med board.

Tonk, you need better friends.

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sigy-36......I fed my dogs 3 different types of dog food and mix it by hand every day myself! Now when the Diamond Dog Food Company had problems and no one knew about such at the time, a man from Indianna called me to ask about our pups.

Now in the conversation of less than 5 minutes, I knew he was upset and breaking up on the phone. I asked the question,"Have you ever had a GSP dog before" He answered yes, one just died and the other is at the VETS being treated not expected to live.

This is how I myself found out about Diamond Dog Food and the tainted CORN problem first. I myself was given a bag of "Country Fair" made by a company Diamond owns in Thomasville Missouri, made with all chicken parts. I mixed that with the 3 other dog foods I had been feeding in the amount of 25percent.

The next day, I had 6 dogs that looked like their rectums had been slicked open with a knife. Their stools were a mound of blood, even though they were bright eyed and very responsive.
I called Diamond Co. They put me in touch with a VET in Columbia, MIssouri who was the spokes person for Diamond Co. now that this problem was growing larger by the hour.

I called my VET right away, as I thought to myself, someone may have given my dogs something. I did have a problem with some kids at a party a week before and they didn't like the man across the road and myself calling the police on them. They had parked their cars in my driveway and on his lawn. They were DRUNK!

Lucky for me my dogs were OK by the next day (I had set up a check every 3-hours) and the Vet said to watch them close, which I did and brought my #1 stud and #1 bitch dog up to the house. The VET who spoke for Diamond Co. wanted to know if I had run tests on all 6 of my dogs. I told her NO but I did contact my VET!!! The cost for running those tests would have run around $1,200 total. The lady Vet knew that fact and was trying to wiggle off the phone when I asked for the Attorney's number for Diamond & Co.Another way of beating around the buch about the corn problem and how it was only in South Carolina.

It in covered 23 figging states for a fact!!! The US Govn't got involved and Diamond tried to pull the wool over the consumers eyes period, by letting on in the beginning they had a couple of employees that had caused the entire problem. This was not so and a BIG LIE.........that is when the VET took over talking to the media and phone's that rang off the hook.

Last edited by Tonk; 03/13/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

IC B3

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Miles-58, I did NOT call this breeder a friend whatsoever! Now lets get that part of my post understood real quick shall we.

Now because I do not wish to thrash the man for his lack of taking his dogs to the VET, is no reason for YOU to drop the hammer on those who bred German Shorthair Pointers understand.
I personally believe that you owe the rest of us responsible breeders and appology big time.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Tonk
Miles-58, I did NOT call this breeder a friend whatsoever! Now lets get that part of my post understood real quick shall we.

Now because I do not wish to thrash the man for his lack of taking his dogs to the VET, is no reason for YOU to drop the hammer on those who bred German Shorthair Pointers understand.
I personally believe that you owe the rest of us responsible breeders and appology big time.

You know a guy who'd watch what you report as a quality brood bitch and a quality litter die without taking them to a DVM to find out what is killing them and you want want me to apologize for distrusting any GSP breeder I don't know????

WTF is the matter with your head/// Are you Fing crazy??? The guy dumps an antibiotic into the dogs and has no idea why and you won't name him???

What you are describing goes well beyond unfortunate. It goes well beyond incompetent. don't talk to me about distrusting any GSP breeder I do not personally know!

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Miles I will admit I may have taken a few to many to the head in my day but I sure as blazes am not what you discribe understand mister. I'll leave it at that my man, since I don't wish to embark on a pissing contest with someone who doesn't know me from adam and by the way I raise some of the very best GSP dogs in the frigging breed.

I suppose it just goes back to my younthfull days and always wanting to being a winner winner!!! You are intitled to your opinion of that particular breeder I posted on but by all that is holy sir, You should keep your mouth shut about other GSP breeders just because you have never met them period.

Now If by some reason you wish to meet me and take out your verbal abuse eyeball to eyeball, I would be only to blessed happy to oblige you. However, I would be damn careful what I wished for, especially on the eve of Staint Patricks Day.
God Bless Ireland and it's people!!!

Last edited by Tonk; 03/16/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
You are intitled to your opinion of that particular breeder I posted on but by all that is holy sir, You should keep your mouth shut about other GSP breeders just because you have never met them period.

I don't think Miles made his comment in the manner that you are taking it(? confused)
Since you didn't elaborate on the specific breeder, then the actions of that ONE unknown breeder are being shadowed on any breeders that He (Miles) doesn't know personaly,... with yourself excluded because you are apparently conveying the events about someone else...
In fact, I am not sure that his comments would have even been breed specific except for the fact that You did mention GSP in your original post...
I could be wrong tho,...He may just not like the GSP as a breed nor anyone that raises them.. crazy confused whistle

Me peronally I like em... cool

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Miles I will admit I may have taken a few to many to the head in my day but I sure as blazes am not what you discribe understand mister. I'll leave it at that my man, since I don't wish to embark on a pissing contest with someone who doesn't know me from adam and by the way I raise some of the very best GSP dogs in the frigging breed.

I suppose it just goes back to my younthfull days and always wanting to being a winner winner!!! You are intitled to your opinion of that particular breeder I posted on but by all that is holy sir, You should keep your mouth shut about other GSP breeders just because you have never met them period.

Now If by some reason you wish to meet me and take out your verbal abuse eyeball to eyeball, I would be only to blessed happy to oblige you. However, I would be damn careful what I wished for, especially on the eve of Staint Patricks Day.
God Bless Ireland and it's people!!!

I ain't all about you jackass. If you had half the brains of tndrbstr, you'd your pull you head out of your ass and get your effing act together instead of posturing like a mindless fifteen year old.

Last edited by MILES58; 03/17/11.
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Miles now it is brain power you want to tell me I don't have Jack!!! Now when it comes to pulling you head out of your rectum pal, YOU are indeed a true canidate by all means.

I think we have things under control at my place and by the way I certainly know I don't need your help one iota. I made my way and owe nobody a dime understand, got some outstanding GSP dogs too. Happy Saint Pat's Day folks!!!

Last edited by Tonk; 03/17/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tonk, you're a poor excuse for for anything. I told you the first post wasn't about you. tndrbstr told you it wasn't You don't have the grace god gave rabbit turds to admit that and instead have to mouth off like a fifteen year old. What are you ?? Really fifteen or just an arrested development case with a narcissism problem?

Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Miles-58........YOU are a true blue JERK bud!!! You want to go around bashing GSP breeders because YOU don't know them. You are a piss poor excuse for being a socialized human being.

I havn't been 15 since 1958 Yo Yo!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Tonk, I have not heard anything of a virus or tainted food out there currently & pretty much keep up to date on these things via a large network of breeders across the country & been to several large events this year already.
Shame he didnt do a necropsy, at least he could rule out Parvo & watch for further outbreaks. No vaccine is 100%, so hard to say viral or outside cause. Do you know, by chance, if he vacc'd while the pups were still nursing???

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Tonk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Zodiakgsps..........This is very true of vaccines! Proper storage is a must always. Yes, it is a real shame that this happened but a bigger shame that one of those puppies was NOT taken to the VET'S office, so that a positive cause could have be given.

I know that this particular breeder has had a tuff time with money this past year but that still is NO Excuse! There are VETS out there what would have made some type of money arrangement with the man.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1minute, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,943
Posts18,480,152
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.