-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know first hand that an autistic 12 year old can whack the schitt outta a bison with a 223 and TSX. Bullet exited... rib in, rib out. Dead buffalo in maybe 30 yards.

Now I gotta ask, if a 12 year old rain man can do it, what the [bleep] is wrong with the rest of you?

Ungulates ain't exactly bullet proof or armor plated people.

Shot placement, and the correct amount of car bomb effect on innards I think has something to do with it's success.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have not replayed this one on this thread until now...

I started with a 243. We told the idiot clerk we were mainly after turkeys and so we got 80 grain Win Power Points. Those things blew BIG holes in the deer, and thats probably exactly after the first few deer I ever shot, decided there was no way I was shooting shoulders anymore.
Eventually we worked up too 100s. They were much less destructive.
But either bullet, when shot into the ribcage(no shoulders), rarely let the deer get far, and very often was a bang flop.

Later in life I decided the 243 covered about anything small to middlin size that I needed it for but also decided that at some point I may be fortunate enough to hunt Elk or the like. My step up decided against an 06, and to a 300 wtby. The fibermark with handloads shot well enough, and I took deer, mule deer, nilgai with it over the years.

The one thing that was TOTALLY clear, the 300, I had ONE shot in all its life, that was a bang flop and that was a neck shot that I had no other choice in. IE the 243 would have too...( I am not counting head shots in this tally). All of the rest of the game I shot with the 300 ran. Most of it ran further than the 243 shots. A LOT of them acted like they were not even hit.

Does that make the 243 a better killer than the 300. Some would say so. Of course my take on it, they both do just fine. No flies on either. If I feel that I HAVE to make a long shot or ANY shot that is offered, I generally don't pack light. But often when that is not the case I pack light. Because light does the job just as well.

That being said, I've shot deer with everything from a 32-20 and mild cowboy loads, 45 acp a few times, and all the way up to a 416 Rem Mag and a 50 bmg. So I do have a hair of experience with multiple calibers.

I wont' go out on the limb that the 223 is better, but I certainly don't think that its worse or useless. And I don't hesitate to grab it or use it if its in my hands.... and with some bullets that would make lots of folks squeal with disgust.... put it int he right place, it'll work most of the time. But ANY bullet/caliber can fail. Thats just life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Flinch
Guys, it ain't the caliber that kills, it is the design of the bullet and the speed it impacts that does the killing. X bullets rule in the .22 CF rounds. "Some" of the soft points aren't bad either, like the 55 grain Hornady spire point flat base and the 64 grain Winchester power points. Precious few others will hold together and that is when things get ugly.

The same can be said for just about any caliber. I have seen .243 bullets .260, .270 and 7mm bullets go to pieces in less than 4" of deer. 99% of guys would blame the cartridge, when it was the bullet that failed.

Pick the RIGHT bullet for the RIGHT task, put it in the right place and punch tags. Pick the wrong bullet for the wrong task and stick it in the wrong place and get out your tracking tape.

I know what works in .22 CF's based on experience. I know what works and doesn't work in .260's, 7mm's and .30's as well, based on experience. I have seen them all fail miserably when the wrong bullet was used. The failures weren't based on scientific data, but LOTS of field experience with hundreds of dead critters I have been privy to. Flinch

Most sense I have heard around here in a while.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The .223 does NOT kill better than the larger bores!

Period, end of story, print.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
The .223 does NOT kill better than the larger bores!

Period, end of story, print.

My 'ole Win M70 .375 H&H was used to take a couple of large White Tail deer last season.

Factory Federal 270 GR cartridges were used for both..

Two 'bangs', two 'in and outs', two 'flops', two DRT deer.

Hard to imagine that any cartridge would have killed those deer any quicker.... crazy

(Also, in many States it is illegal to use anything smaller than a .24 caliber to take deer and other big game)..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hard to imagine for those that haven't done it. Tell me about the 'Many states' you mention?

I'll help you ace. 35 states allow a 22cf for deer 7 don't, 7 are shotgun only. Apparently your as good with your definition of MANY as you are at having a clue.

35 to 7 (Legal vs. Not) & 7 shotgun only states

Yes States - AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, ID, FL, GA, KY, LA, MI, MD, ME, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WI, WV, VT

No States (rifle bigger than .22) - CT, CO, IA, KS, VA, WA, WY,

Shotgun only - DE, IN, IL, MA, NJ, OH, RI

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Where is Hawaii on that list? You'se only got 49 states there Steelie.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
[bleep] Hawaii

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Damn straight!

I can't spell... Deal with it...
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
HI:

Legal Hunting Animals and Weapons

When hunting with dogs where permitted, hunters may use any muzzeloading rifle with a minimum of 0.45 caliber bore diameter; any rifle using at least a 0.22 caliber magnum load or center fire cartridge; shotguns loaded with slugs or 00 or larger buckshot or spears or knives.
When hunting without dogs, hunters may use any rifle with a muzzle energy rating of 1,200 foot pounds or more; shotguns loaded with 00 or larger buckshot and muzzleloader rifles with a minimum of 0.45 caliber bore diameter (Breech loaders may not be used during muzzleloader only designated hunts).

When hunting with a bow, the following drawing tension requirements are applicable: Long bows must have a minimum of 40 pounds at a 28-inch draw; Recurved bows must have a minimum of 35 pounds; Compound bows must have a minimum of 30 pounds

So it looks like 223 would be in but other .22's not.

Last edited by mike103; 03/11/11.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mike103
HI:

When hunting with dogs where permitted, hunters may use any muzzeloading rifle with a minimum of 0.45 caliber bore diameter; any rifle using at least a 0.22 caliber magnum load or center fire cartridge; shotguns loaded with slugs or 00 or larger buckshot or spears or knives.

Uhhh...someone else want to take care of this one?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I don't think I can handle it....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have never used a .223 for deer, but in TN, ANY centerfire rifle is legal...even a .17
.270 is as small as i have hunted deer with...

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
Originally Posted by mike103
HI:

Uhhh...someone else want to take care of this one?

I guess you missed this part:

When hunting without dogs, hunters may use any rifle with a muzzle energy rating of 1,200 foot pounds or more; shotguns loaded with 00 or larger buckshot and muzzleloader rifles with a minimum of 0.45 caliber bore diameter (Breech loaders may not be used during muzzleloader only designated hunts).

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh I got that part but am still puzzled.

1st, this looks like a specific states regs. Which state?
2nd, when using dogs, It sounds as if you can use a 22 mag rimfire. Is that true?
3rd, What defines a "magnum" load (pertaining to a .22 caliber "magnum" load).

I'll admit I misread your post the first time, it sounded like you were saying a .223 would be legal because it is over 22 cal, but were excluding other .22 cals such as the .218 bee or .219 zipper because they are "under" 22 cal. I thought you were implying that the 223 Rem was legal because it was a ".223" cal, and that other 22 CFs such as the .218 bee was not legal because it was ".218". I misread your quote, thinking you didn't realize all 22 CFs were .224", and now realize you were referring to the ME of specific 22 CFs. My apologies.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just realized HI means Hawaii and not "hey guys". I guess that's what happens when you start cracking beers before your 9:00 class.

I apologize to Mike103 for my idiotness.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Steelhead
[bleep] Hawaii

Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
Damn straight!

That combo has me laughing my ass off. What a way to start a weekend...grin

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What about the other states remember "O" says there are 57... grin

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
States #51 through#57...its OK to use a .223.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thanks Tom, I was looking at booking a hunt in one of those states. Now if I could just find them on the map... whistle

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.