Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dave,

One description I have heard for throat checking is "alligator skin," and I probably have used that term now and then. The steel actually cracks like the upper surface on dried mud.

I am pretty curious myself about UBC and throat erosion, one reason I did the .220 Swift.

"alligator skin," and "dried mud" are very good descriptions of what im talking about.
A person would have to do a real test to tell if UBC would actually save a throat.Same barrel maker, same reamer ,same load, same number of rounds fired.To actually tell if the UBC did help protect it.
My thoughts are that UBC would offer some but not alot of protection.Over a uncoated barrel.Its real place is in keeping a barrel from copper fouling.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jim62
I thought it might be a real fire breather like a 6mm-06 etc..

My 270 STW has a real short barrel life. smile
Lots of barrel burners out there.
I'd say most of what I read about a 243 is true.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for all the feedback, Mule Deer et al. Sounds like the answer is a definite maybe on helping a little bit.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I had it applied to my Remington SP-10 turkey barrel (by Doug � I miffed it the first try), and I cured it with 30 rounds of 10 gauge fired as fast as I could re-load. When I got the shotgun home to clean it, I got a little powder fouling out and that's it. No plastic at all. I'm gearing up for turkey season now, and I suspect I'll never have to clean this bore again due to shooting. Unfortunately, it almost always rains on us, in which case I'll be cleaning everything including the bore. I had that barrel honed to a glass-smooth surface, so I'm sure that contributes to the lack of any plastic fouling and just minor powder fouling after the application of the UBC.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been checking this thread for a couple of days off and on so now my answers. We don't claim longer throat life and if you think about it you will understand why we can't. The bore coat after curing has an average thickness of .25 microns. To give you an idea of how thin this is a human hair will average 100 microns in thickness. So less than 1/99th the thickness of a human hair is thin. I also can't control how hot anyone gets a barrel when they shoot or, what load they shoot. I will say it should help somewhat because of the way ceramic handle heat. Ceramics don't like to pass heat through themselves. They like to spread it across there surface. What you should find by feeling the barrel is no hot spot in front of the chamber. The barrel should feel the same temp. from chamber to muzzle. As the coating is so thin it will pass heat through its self. A coated barrel will have throat erosion but should not show it as fast as an uncoated barrel. This coatings job is to cut down or get rid of jacket fouling and make all fouling faster and esaier to clean. It should also make the rifle shoot more consistant for a much longer period of time.
As to shotguns and pitting it won't fill in pits. It will seal the rough and or sharp edges that scrape plastic. If you look at the picture on the following web site www.mackspw.com you will see a picture of G.Davis. He treated the bore of his Beretta 391.
He has since shot doves in Argentina and a ton of sporting clays.
He has never cleaned the bore and he quit counting rounds at 14,000. As he didn't put Gun Shield on the inside of the reciever or the bolt return spring and tube he said the inside is kind of gummy and cycling has slowed.
Hope this clears things up some.
Doug

Doug Burche
Gun coating with Dyna Coat and CeraKote
Dyna Bore Coat,Because barrel cleaning SUCKS.
www.dynamicfinishes.com
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've got about 1000 rds down my Krieger barrel pushing a 130 Berger VLD @ 2850 fps in a 6.5x47 Lapua. Seriously, I have not run anything except bullets down the tube in over 800 rds. A few weeks back I was checking the accuracy and velocity via my Oehler 35P. The 10-shot group ran .49 MOA.

With that said, I can say the throat has or does not have any normal use damage. I have had to chase my lands out .080" but I feel that is normal.

Alan

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

I shot the heck out of a couple of other Ruger Swifts from the same era, one another tang-safety 77 and one a No. 1B, so have some sort of baseline to gauge throat erosion in this one. The answer won't be definitive, of course, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You get done frying than nice Ruger barrel John.
Turn the borescope loose and tell us what your seenen....
I play with alot of high speed stuff.Always have.
I like my speed.....
I figure UBC cant hurt.
And less cleaning is always a good thing.

dave

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My guess is that it won't make much difference in the throat, because the steel under the UBC will still get hot. But we shall see....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Anyone ever ran a UBC tube and moly bullets?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yup.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Works well I take it?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sure does. The bore is just as easy to get clean with moly as without. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, but how do you get the moly out before applying UBC?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Moly Magic in addition to following the instructions that come with UBC...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.