Print Thread
Hop To
F
fellas2 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Looking to replace my factory laminate on my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 and would like some advice before making my choice.Go with the B & C Alaskan TI or the Alaskan II.I really don't want to mess with their mountain rifle version due to the fact I that the fit is often horrible.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
McMillan Edge.

The B&C stocks with the full bedding blocks are heavy and will likely weigh about the same as your laminated wood stock. www.stockysstocks.com lists them at 28-30 oz. My Edge 2 stocks weigh 21 and 23 oz.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JMR40
McMillan Edge.

The B&C stocks with the full bedding blocks are heavy and will likely weigh about the same as your laminated wood stock. www.stockysstocks.com lists them at 28-30 oz. My Edge 2 stocks weigh 21 and 23 oz.

I can tell you this with 100% certainty since I mill laminated stocks almost every day- and weight them.

There is no way a B&C stock- even one with a bedding block -will weight as much as a laminate wood stock does if they are both the same design.

Having said that, the B&C stocks are heavier than a McMillan Edge. So are most glass stocks - including regular fill McMillans. wink

The "Faux Ti" ALaskan I stocks that Stocky's markets only have pillars installed- they don't have the full bedding block. Real world weights on those are only about 4 ounces more than a comparable sized full finished Edge, if that.

Last edited by jim62; 03/30/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
My vote: stocky's number 2950/51 Mountain Rifle Models - - Short or Long Action ADL only. (22-24 oz.)

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by fellas2
Looking to replace my factory laminate on my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 and would like some advice before making my choice.Go with the B & C Alaskan TI or the Alaskan II.I really don't want to mess with their mountain rifle version due to the fact I that the fit is often horrible.

ADL or BDL?
Both Alaskan stocks have a magnum barrel contour and work okay with a standard sporter, but would be a stretch for a mountain barrel. You probaly should go with the 2950 mountain stock if you want ADL, or they just came out with a BDL mountain version. But, it has the full aluminum bed for some reason. I was shocked at how many original Ti takeoffs are lying around when I posted a want to buy. I had several PM's and a few of them were new stocks. Good luck.

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Be advised - while Stocky's lists the AKII at 28-30 oz. Mine showed up a few weeks ago at 35 oz. And as mentioned above, the channel will be way too open for a MR barrel contour. i'd go with the mountain version even if it requires some fitting.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I got one of Stocky last BDL 2950/51 with pillars but no bedding block to replace the wood stock on my .280 Mountain rifle. It dropped right in and it was correct for the slim contour barrel. It changes the feel of the rifle.The wood stock had most of the weight in the butt but the 2950 is light in the butt making the rifle balance alot better.
I also have an Alaskan T2 without the bedding block on a standard BDL. It's ok but not as nice as the 2950.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I actually have one of the 2950's on a stainless ADL MT rifle. It should have been a straight drop in, and would have been if B&C had drilled the action holes straight. Since it has no aluminum bedding block it is the only B&C stock that feels trim and is fairly lightweight. They will also be the easiest of any synthetic stock to break since they have very little support.

I haven't actually weighed one of the laminated mountain rifle stocks, but it is a pretty trim piece of wood. I'd bet there is not much difference especially since many of the B&C stocks seem to be a bit heavier than they advertise.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I purchased a S.C./FN Model 70 Win EW .300WSM a few months ago. I like the rifle, and it is apparent that quality work is being performed on the new Model 70's. The action is very smooth, feeding is excellent, and it has the claw extractor. I have taken care of the MOA trigger with a lighter trigger spring and maximum let out of the trigger spring screw. However, the B&C stock has got to go. No disrespect to those of you who like the B&C stock, but to me it is FAT. I thought I could get used to it, but to me it feels too large for the rifle, especially in the grip and forend. I hope to put a McMillan Super Grade style with Ultra Lite Edge Tech on it sometime in future.

Fellas 2 Unless you have large hands, I would seriously consider a McMillan stock. To be totaly honest with you, I now wish that I had shelled out the extra money and purchased a Sako 85 Finn Lite ST in .300WSM. Hopefully this will help you in your selection.

G2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I would go Edge Mountain Rifle if it were mine. You are going to have a sizeable barrel gap with the Alaskan TI.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 450yukon, 2ndwind, 28 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,626
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.