Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife & I have 4 dogs in outside pens.
Joe the collie (male) has his own pen.
Skeeter the mutt (male) has his own pen.
Coco the chocolate lab (female) and Halo the boxer cross (female) share a pen.
My wife walks Joe every evening , when she gets back home & is putting Joe back in his pen the two bishes in the other pen start fighting. Coco the lab is the the instigator.
Ordinarily the two "girls" get along just fine , never a cross word between them , until my wife comes back from a walk with Joe.
Major battle this evening ,not the usual little scuffle , the two bishes are now in separate pens.
What the heck is going on here ? Why does putting Joe in his pen start a fight between the two ?

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a Korean BBQ. Problem solved.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do women fight over you?

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shreck

Sounds like a plan

Mike

Jerry Miculek
6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
Do women fight over you?

Never frown

Mike

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bring the Bishes in the house, problem solved. laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never had good luck putting two females together. No problems putting males and females together.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by 6mm250
My wife walks Joe every evening , when she gets back home & is putting Joe back in his pen the two bishes in the other pen start fighting. Coco the lab is the the instigator.
Ordinarily the two "girls" get along just fine , never a cross word between them , until my wife comes back from a walk with Joe.
Major battle this evening ,not the usual little scuffle , the two bishes are now in separate pens.
What the heck is going on here ? Why does putting Joe in his pen start a fight between the two ?

Mike

I'd speculate that it's displaced aggression stemming from one or more of the following factors:
1. Desire to get the hell out of the kennel and get attention from your wife;,
2. Frustration and desire of both bitches at not being able to get the attention from your wife that the collie is getting;
3. The lab being dominant over the boxer (thus feelinig free to direct frustrated aggression toward her).

All dogs get excited when your wife shows up with the collie. They all want to get attention and exercise. Their excitement turns into near frenzy and the lab expresses the frustration through aggression.

You need to watch their behavior closely and repeatedly to analyze it. I'll bet you can see the behavioral precursors and you'll be able to predict what's coming next. Then you just have to figure out how to divert them before the fight breaks out. I'll bet if your wife let the two bitches out of their shared kennel and interacted with them for awhile there would be no fight - unless they were really jealous of each other in which case the lab may be aggressive asserting dominance and "ownership" of the key resource - your wife.

But I'm a long way off and just speaking from my experience with dogs and just speculating.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck

BINGO! grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Pack dynamics can be really weird. I continually put my dogs in different situations to see how they react and behave. I expect good behavior from all of them. Sometimes you get tension, jealousy or a competition issue. My guess you have a competition issue. That can rear its ugly head at the strangest times and you can go months between incidents. I would mix them up, putting them in different situations to see if you can identify the issue. Good luck!!!!!!

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ordi
What the heck is going on here ? Why does putting Joe in his pen start a fight between the two ? sorry to hear that. they are trying to compete for her friendship and letting their protectionist instinct overule their friendship. kids often do the same- they get along till a 'superior' aquaintance comes along and then forget their original friend. dr rc

Mike

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
sorry abt that-something messed up. mike-the two dogs are trying to compete for her friendship and their showing her their protectionist instinct for her. like two kids will get along fine but add another and alliances are struggled for. dr rc

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Mike
Excitement causes it. One becomes unstable in the face of excitement and shows unstable behavior. In a natural pack, dogs attack unstable behavior in an effort to punish and suppress it. If the more unstable of the two doesn't settle down after a correction (a bite), or fights back, a fight ensues.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds to me like you definately have 3, and maybe 4, too many dogs.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,599
Posts18,511,378
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.