Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
I mean, if Steelie can hit a Jack Daniels at 700 in less than 7 shots with an unknown rifle and load, then what couldn't Ross do?????? wink

It was a crown royal box.. C'mon! Everyone knows that! grin grin

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We all have bad days. I've seen gun writers at shows get mobbed by "fans" and it must be very tiring.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
And let's not forget he was the 1981 IPSC world champion. Back in those days they didn't have big-name sponsors, he paid his own expenses and bought his own guns (which he had customized on his own) and loaded nearly all of his own ammunition, at the tune of 50,000 to 100,000 rounds a year. And, he can expertly shoot anything that has a trigger. Contrast that with some of the young IPSC grand masters they've had on Top Shot who are amazing speed shooters with an unlimited race gun but have to be instructed on how to load and fire a single-action revolver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gaperry59
And let's not forget he was the 1981 IPSC world champion.

Yeah, I wonder if he still wears shorts with those tall, striped tube socks and one of those cool foam hats with the mesh back. All the fast IPSC guys did back in the day.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've enjoyed all he wrote on the old blackpowder English cartridges; his writings were pretty handy when I was working with a .500-450 #1 blackpowder express. I did write him about the rifle - care of Rifle - they said they would forward questions to Ross but I never did hear from him.

The downside was that twenty years ago the guns - British single shots were fairly cheap, because no one knew knew anything about them. After he wrote many articles it seemed suddenly the price of the guns shot up, because people could then learn how to run them. I figure he must have had a couple hundred of them stashed away, and made a tidy profit grin

saying that tongue in cheek, of course grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I did write him about the rifle - care of Rifle - they said they would forward questions to Ross but I never did hear from him.

Many years ago, I read in one of his articles where he complained about the price of brass for one of his Martini rifles (I can't recall the cartridge at the moment, but it was an odd ball). Anyhow, I stumbled across a source for the exact same brass he wrote about, but at about 1/4 of the price he complained about in the article. I wrote him a letter with the info on how he could get the brass, and sent it directly to him. Never heard back.

I still enjoy his articles a great deal when I run across them. He was the guy who got me interested in fast twist 22 calibers.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by fremont
Originally Posted by gaperry59
And let's not forget he was the 1981 IPSC world champion.

Yeah, I wonder if he still wears shorts with those tall, striped tube socks and one of those cool foam hats with the mesh back. All the fast IPSC guys did back in the day.

I thought of starting a new thread called "Seyfried's Sartorial Splendor" but thought it might fit better in response here.

I got to know Ross in 1979. During the period between when he won the US Nationals in '78 and thru '80 he wore a "lucky shirt." If you see any of the old American Handgunner ads of him having lept a barricade, he's wearing this same shirt:
[Linked Image]
This pic was taken at the '80 Nationals. His wife at the time (Judy????) would wash that shirt in their motel room every night (either that or he had a bunch of identical ones). He wore jeans and projected an "awe-shucks-good-ole-boy" persona, which wasn't ingenuine.

With success his image started to change (or his lucky shirt wore out). By 1981 (when he won the world shoot), he had progressed to more conventional shirting garb. Here he's at the '81 Bianchi Cup wearing an IPSC tee shirt:
[Linked Image]

By '82 he appears to have picked up some sponsorship. Here he is at the '82 Nationals which marked the beginning of the billboard-uniform phase of competitive shooting that still plagues our tournaments:
[Linked Image]
Sorry to take up so much space---the comment about his clothing and the general interest in Ross made me think that some of you would like to see some pics from his early years of notoriety.

Last edited by gmoats; 04/14/11.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
gmoats-
Thanks for the photos. When I read fremont's post about the clothes, I dug out some American Handgunner magazines from the 77-82 period. I think Seyfried always wore blue jeans. Raul Walters wore the striped socks in some of the photos.

Walters did well outside of IPSC too: 2009 Obituary

Photo below shows Walters & wife on the left, Buzz Aldrin & wife on the right.
[Linked Image]

--Bob
edit oopsie; misspelled Aldrin

Last edited by BullShooter; 04/14/11.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BullShooter
...I dug out some American Handgunner magazines from the 77-82 period...Raul Walters wore the striped socks in some of the photos.

The only pic that I could find of Raul is during a concealed carry match--can't see his socks, but you're correct, he's wearing them:
[Linked Image]
I'll check my archives when I get home and see if I don't have more of Raul---I used to shoot in the MPPL with him and know that I have more. If you kept Handgunners from that era and scour them well, you'll find some incredible writers!! smile

Raul was a tightly wrapped athlete--I don't think that he ever fully recovered from losing his son in a motorcycle accident. He and Dick Thomas were largely responsible for the Columbia conference that started IPSC and were directly responsible for the Chapman Academy being in Columbia (they were initial co-owners with Ray).

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Count me as a fan of Seyfried's writing.

I know some folks(gun writers included) that like to tear Ross down- says more about them than it does Ross, IMO.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B3

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never met him but have always appreciated his writings.

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think the aticle he wrote on the .340 Weatherby was very refreshing and showed up the industry for being quite stale at that time.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Having counted Ross as a good friend and mentor for over 20 yrs I would say Ken H hit the nail right on the head.

Just like all of us Ross might have a bad day and I can definitely see how he could be prickly on a first meeting.

I have never met anyone with his breadth of knowledge on all things concerning firearms and having personally seen many of those famous late 80s early 90s Guns and Ammo articles come together I would say he was very careful to write the truth as he saw it and didn�t do some of the standard embellishment that can go on in gun articles.

Had a chance to chat with him at SCI this year and he was still the same ol Ross.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I liked about Ross' writing was even if his subject matter wasn't something that usually interested me I still enjoyed the article. I can't say that for other writers. I can't really bring myself to read about bird hunting, whitetails on the farm or most blackpowder stuff. But if Ross was writing about goose hunting or some ancient blackpowder piece it was good.

Too bad his writing is in short supply now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

John:

Since you know him, you might know this: Double Gun Journal changed its name to Double Gun & Single Shot Journal at some point, and IIRC, it was about the time that Seyfried got heavily involved with the magazine.

Was that his doing?

Whoever it was, I heartily approve. I particularly enjoy Seyfried's work with those English single shot bp rifles he's so fond of.

- Tom

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Most likely, it was the Double Gun Journal's owner Dan Cote's doing. He did it to broaden the readership/advertising base of the magazine.

I do not blame him for doing so. It was a smart move and probably saved it. I helped Dan promote the magazine to advertisers in the first few years it was published. He sacrificed a great deal of his own time and treasure to keep it alive during the 1990s.

It has always been a fine magazine and it makes sense that it attracted a writer with the talent and knowledge base of Mr Seyfried.

Last edited by jim62; 04/14/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is he originally from Africa? I seem to remember that he had ties to Africa, maybe as a PH.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nope ,he is was raised on a Farm/Ranch in central Colorado just northeast of Denver.

He did a bit of PH work in Africa in the 1980s, I believe.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by BullShooter
gmoats-
Thanks for the photos. When I read fremont's post about the clothes, I dug out some American Handgunner magazines from the 77-82 period. I think Seyfried always wore blue jeans. Raul Walters wore the striped socks in some of the photos.

Walters did well outside of IPSC too: 2009 Obituary

Photo below shows Walters & wife on the left, Buzz Aldren & wife on the right.
[Linked Image]

--Bob

If Mrs. Walters needed any help putting a napkin over her dress to keep soup dribbles from falling on her, I'm sure many of us would volunteer (just to be helpful, of course).

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've long enjoyed Ross's writings and the one time I had a telephone conversation with him, he was an agreeable and articulate man. He also followed up that conversation with a well written letter. I hold him in high regard.

μολὼν λαβέ
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.