Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Please do share your VLD ones as well. You do know all about shooting elk at angles with the VLD, right? I mean, you have done it and will share with the group. Or... are you talking out your azz as per usual?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wanker <grin>.

Killed a couple with the 8mm 200-grainer. Have shot a $hitload of the .30-cal 200-grainers. Very accurate bullet, very consistant, high BC that matches up to the software so it appears to be a "real" BC number... he says they both shoot about equally well in his rifle so no accuracy advantage to the VLD.

Can't see giving up reasonable shot angles for no good reason so this one appears to be a no-brainer to this lug nut at least.

IMHO. YMMV. Etc.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
wyonelk, you are becoming unpleasant so this'll be my last post to you for a while.

Reports on the VLD's terminal ballistics are remarkably consistant and I believe those reporting them. If a guy wants what they do- go for it. In this case my opinion is that he'd be better off with the NAB since it has the high BC and all that. He can regard or disregard my opinion as he sees fit. And you can bite me. wink

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
wyonelk, you are becoming unpleasant so this'll be my last post to you for a while.

Reports on the VLD's terminal ballistics are remarkably consistant and I believe those reporting them. If a guy wants what they do- go for it. In this case my opinion is that he'd be better off with the NAB since it has the high BC and all that. He can regard or disregard my opinion as he sees fit. And you can bite me. wink

But this is what you posted

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by rost495
The Bergers, but I use the target version, not the hunting version, act just like a standard cup and core bullet to me. If you'd trust a cup and core I would have no issue with the Berger.

OTOH the accubond is not nearly enough of a step forward IMHO, if you want to be able to do it all then of course the answer is not accubond, but Barnes.

Well, Jeff, except my assumption here is that he wants a high-BC bullet, hence the VLD's. Could be wrong there. The TSX isn't that, not hardly.

Also the .30 caliber 200-gn Accubond is a long (high-SD) bullet. I've not used this version, but I have used the very similar 8mm 200-grainer, which doesn't have nearly the SD of the .30 cal version. Penetration on elk was outstanding. Unless Noz did something really wonky with the .30 cal version it should penetrate even better.

I'll stick to my opinion and damn the torpedoes <grin>. This particular Accubond gives you a bullet that will work at about any angle (unlike the VLD) and still has a great BC (.588) for long range work.

It's perfect <g>.

The question remains how do you know this, from experience or is it your opinion from what you have read from others?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jeff, I dont give a [bleep] about reports. Tell me your experiences on shooting VLD bullets into elk. Have none? Why the fugg are you commenting on this thread?

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I dont give a [bleep] about caliber. I dont give a [bleep] about weight. I want to know your personal experience with shooting VLD's into elk. At least tell me some experience standing next to a guy who has shot a VLD into an elk. Waiting....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I can chat about Grand Slams, Partitions, Ballistic Tips, X, XLC, TSX, Berger VLD, those not to be mentioned Remington bullets and a few others. All from sending said bullets into elk.

I have watched Accubombs and others on a few occasions while standing right next to the guy pulling the trigger. Lets discuss experiences Jeff. Not reports but actual experiences.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have been involved with the using the 180 Nosler PT since the early 60's and with my limited experience (over 100 head of big game) I find the PT to be the perfect hunting bullet for me. I do use the AB in one rifle that doesn't like the PT.My .02

These are real numbers? There are quite a large number of elk in this sample

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
interesting on the NP, but I"ve been told its not nearly as stout as the 200 NP in 30 cal either.

I quit using the 180 out of a 300 mag used on Nilgai(similar size, maybe even tougher than elk though) since it would not reliably give about more than 16 inches or so penetration if you hit major bone structure.

Went to Barnes. Never looked back.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where'd jeffy go?

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
wyoelk, Why are you so sure the 200 grain Accubond in a .300 RUM doesn't work very well? mtmuley

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never sucked cock before but have no problem saying its not for me.

I will also say that the 2 elk I have seen killed with VLDs (30 cals/don't remember weight) were depressing. They were shoulder hits which I don't recommend on elk with anything but a premium bullet and a lot of speed. Both shoulders stopped the bullets and the bulls needed another round. The second rounds were behind the shoulder, where they belonged, but still made a mess.

Personally I say go Accubond and put it behind the shoulder.

Could be wrong on the VLDs; and sucking cock could also be exhilirating.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I've never sucked cock before but have no problem saying its not for me.

That's [bleep] funny. Should be someones sig line grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn, the wife is wondering why I'm laughin

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Dog Hunter

Now that was too funny :-)

Experience is something you get, just after you needed it.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
16" on an animal of that size is pretty good penetration. I have shot two elk with the TSX both under 300 yards. Great penetration but on the second one I failed to break the off side shoulder at 300 yards. Shooting STW, 1603200, elk wandered about on the hill for a couple of min stopped then I shot her again. I feel that with the PT she would have been DRT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Elkmen
16" on an animal of that size is pretty good penetration. I have shot two elk with the TSX both under 300 yards. Great penetration but on the second one I failed to break the off side shoulder at 300 yards. Shooting STW, 160@3200, elk wandered about on the hill for a couple of min stopped then I shot her again. I feel that with the PT she would have been DRT.

You just never really know. Every animal reacts differently...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's simply no downside to the 200-NAB.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mtmuley
wyoelk, Why are you so sure the 200 grain Accubond in a .300 RUM doesn't work very well? mtmuley

Never seen that combo in action. So...... I will keep my mouth shut about said combo. Or would you prefer me to mouth off about something I have read somewhere?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Elkmen
the 180 Nosler PT

Now that bullet ahead of 72 grains of 4350 has helped me stay fat through more than one winter. Elk dont like it. smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

459 members (1badf350, 1234, 30incher, 3040Krag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 1,766 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.