Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
. . . . in 45 Colt. With the red tape of gun registry in Canada, it may take a few weeks to get it here, but the process has been started. laugh Happy.

Anyone got a favorite powder/bullet combo? I was thinking Titegroup or 231. Suggestions???

Thanks.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
details?

new vaq? old frame?

barrel length? finish? grips?

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
New Vaquero.

5.5" barrel.

Blued finish.

Black Ruger grips.

Entry level and slightly used, but got a decent price on it.

I am buying a bullet mold and dies in Winnipeg this coming weekend, as well as some primers and brass. And I am also considering a H&R Buffalo Classic Carbine in 45 Colt as well. I mean, a guy oughta be able to shoot the same ammo in his rifle as his pistol, right? grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a pair of Colts and an Uberti 1873 replica all in 45 Colt. I have some 250 gr lead and some 200 gr lead cast by a local bullet maker. Once the 250 are gone I plan on sticking with the 200's. My powder of choice is IMR's Trail Boss. I am dropping 5.1 grains for the 250 grain bullets and 5.6 grains for the 200 grain bullets. Winchester Large Pistol Primers for all laods. Groups and point of impact in my Colts are very good and there is no discernable differentiation between guns when shot off hand. While the rifle really works well with the 200 grain bullet/load the 250's are certainly close enough for CAS shooting.
Good luck with your new toy!
Razz

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Razz. That's exactly what I am looking for -- real world experience and numbers.

Brother Keith

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Razz has given you good guidance. Trail Boss is a fine powder, and easy to stay in safe zone.

I have used Titegroup @ 6.3 gr/200 gr. oregon Trail for good results also. This may be a little slow, and can be increased, but the accuracy and economy is there.

I'm putting 10.1/VV-N-330 behind the same 200 gr Oregon Trail lead bullets for my accuracy load in the .45 Colt levergun and am amazed at the incredible grouping.

I also like W-231, but never got around to trying it for the rifle because the Vihtavouri load was so accurate.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Razz
I shoot a pair of Colts and an Uberti 1873 replica all in 45 Colt. I have some 250 gr lead and some 200 gr lead cast by a local bullet maker. Once the 250 are gone I plan on sticking with the 200's. My powder of choice is IMR's Trail Boss. I am dropping 5.1 grains for the 250 grain bullets and 5.6 grains for the 200 grain bullets. Winchester Large Pistol Primers for all laods. Groups and point of impact in my Colts are very good and there is no discernable differentiation between guns when shot off hand. While the rifle really works well with the 200 grain bullet/load the 250's are certainly close enough for CAS shooting.
Good luck with your new toy!
Razz
I bought some Trailboss, several years ago it's been now. I must admit to never having broken the seal though. I've went to a time or two and couldn't find a lot of data. Of course by now, that may have been awhile back too.

Your loading of the lighter bullets is encouraging. So many want to go with extremely heavy bullets nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think sometimes the lighter stuff has a place too.

C
C
This is my first post in a long while. Usually I am on cascity.com. I am one of the co-moderators of the board for Canadian Pards called CHINOOK COUNTRY. Come and visit, and welcome to the sport.

For data, it is advisable to start at the source, then you will know the limits when advice is offered. I have not used trail boss as I tend towards blackpowder but there is plenty of data available;

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Last edited by carlos16; 05/02/11.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use 8.5 grains of Unique under a 200 grain LRNFP or 7.8 under a 250 grain LRNFP for about 850fps out of my 4 5/8 barrel .45.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Carlos. I have checked my loading manuals and the internet sites. Just looking to see what works for the shooting buddies here.

T,

Will have to give Unique a try.

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Thanks, Carlos. I have checked my loading manuals and the internet sites. Just looking to see what works for the shooting buddies here.

T,

Will have to give Unique a try.
There are only two downsides to Unique that I'm aware of and one may not even be applicable here. One is that newer powders tend to give higher velocities at lower pressures. I haven't studied up enough on the 45 Colt to know if it makes much difference in it. The second is that Unique is dirty. I use it anyway due to its great versatility and the fact that it's one of the powders I started using. I've probably shot more of it in 45 Colt than anything else, though I've used H110, W296, Blue Dot, Bullseye, W231 and probably some others over the years.

If you don't mind the cleanup, there is no law against using Black Powder in your new pistola.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by carlos16
This is my first post in a long while. Usually I am on cascity.com. I am one of the co-moderators of the board for Canadian Pards called CHINOOK COUNTRY. Come and visit, and welcome to the sport.

For data, it is advisable to start at the source, then you will know the limits when advice is offered. I have not used trail boss as I tend towards blackpowder but there is plenty of data available;

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
It's been a few years since I bought the powder and I still tend to go with loads I get directly from a physical manual rather than a website, even if that website is the direct source. I expect the last 45's I loaded up were with Bullseye or W231 as I've been trying to get rid of some of those that I had on hand.

I've been a member of CAS City for awhile now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Congrats on your Vaquero.

I know you will like it.

Originally Posted by Border Doc
Razz has given you good guidance. Trail Boss is a fine powder, and easy to stay in safe zone.

I use Trail Boss in my blackhawk...

Very nice and safe

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image]

Here she is. Got all the goodies to reload for it including a 2 cavity mould and a couple hundred brass. Score 2000 primers for $14.99/K the other day, so I'm in the mood for loading some. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice looking pistol Sir, I am sure you will get many hours of enjoyment from it.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's the first one I've seen without case-colors.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
. . . . in 45 Colt. With the red tape of gun registry in Canada, it may take a few weeks to get it here, but the process has been started. laugh Happy.

Anyone got a favorite powder/bullet combo? I was thinking Titegroup or 231. Suggestions???

Thanks.

I have a pair of old frame Ruger Bisley Vaqueros, in .45 Colt.
A favorite (hunting) load is a 250 gr. JFP ahead of 23.0 gr. of WW296.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't think the new model Vaquero will handle the pressures the old one does, but sounds like you're loaded for bear!

I set up my dies and powder measure, and sized and primed and flared 100 new brass last night. This morning, I cast 250 lead semi-wadcutters - 200 grain -- they average 208 grains as cast. Loaded up 20 with a light charge of Unique -- now all I need is the pistol. Registration process takes about 10-14 days, I'm told. Been a little over a week. Should see it in another 10 days. I'm ready! wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use 5.5 gr of Titegroup with a 250 or 255 gr cast lead bullet. (Mainly because I go through a lot of Titegroup in .45 acp and .38 SPL and buy it in the big bottles.) I'm shooting a Uberti and am not trying to do more than duplicate standard factory loads.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
You think like I do. If you go retro, why hotrod? wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are correct shootist. The new Vaqueros are no stronger than the Colts. Don't load them hot and treat them like they're 120yrs old and You should be fine.

I have 4 Vaqueros, and they are the old models in 45Colt. I Like Bullseye under a cast 220-250gr bullet for cowboy shooting. For serious work, or hunting, I use 2400 and 250gr XTP bullets.

[Linked Image]

This one is a convertable one with a spare 45ACP cylinder

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this one is a limited edition [1 of 200].

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dmsbandit; 05/16/11.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Nice pistols, Bandit -- thanks for posting.

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Had a little fun this afternoon after church. Getting ready for the day when the new wheel gun shows up at casa mea. Also did up a few 0.458s for the Buffalo Classic.

[Linked Image]

Inexpensive mould that seems to throw good quality bullets. They weigh in at 208 grains as cast.

[Linked Image]

I've got 400 ready to go, so . . . . . .

COME ON VAQUERO!!!! laugh

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excuse my ignorance but how can you tell the diff between the new and old Vaquaro?

Me

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T

New one is smaller in size -- basically. There are other differences as well, but that should do. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As was said, size. Also the labeling. The New Vaquero's cylinder base pin will come free of the frame without tools whereas the Vaquero's will not. New Vaquero's have crescent shaped ejector buttons. Vaquero's have round ejector buttons.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AND the New Vaqueros are labeled NEW VAQUERO

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Go figure! grin

Brother Keith

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Two .45 Colt Rugers. The SS is a New Vaquero. The blued one with the white grips is the old Vaquero. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you decide to give bullseye or 231 a go, I have kegs of each, at least bullseye, waiting for a new home. Let me know. As the kids used to say, I gots lots off pistol stuff around the gun room.

The Gimpy Kid smile

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
We'll talk about it sometime when a tupperware container is in sight. wink

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
smile

Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Just to give you fellas some idea about the firearm's bureaucracy here in Canada, the transfer of the Vaquero was done on April 27th when the CFC sent the matter (electronically) to the CFO for Ontario. They have had it since, and today when I called the CFC to see what the status was, they told me the registration was completed "early last week." Still no paper work -- 37 days after CFC got their part of the job done. I'm starting to get mad

On top of that, all my other paper work is in order -- licenced to obtain firearms of this type since 1972 -- possessed firearms of this type since 1972 -- have a long term authority to transport for target shooting -- am a member of a pistol club where these pistols can be shot.

Still waiting -- albeit not terribly patiently right now. crazy

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
With the Canadian postal strike in full swing, I still haven't got the pistol delivered, so I decided to go with courier. Should be here on Friday, I HOPE!

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks.

Have fun with that lead slinger !
Lemme know if you're ever in the market for a set of Ajax Custom grips for the hogleg you got there..I picked up a New set on sale and turns out can't use them..

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
It came yesterday, and I was in court till 7:30 pm, and am in court all day today as well. Will likely be dark by the time I get home. Thursday about noon looks like the day of unveiling. The thing looks better in person than the pictures did.

Randy, you need to head west and try it out with me.

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You should know better than to feed an addict. But I do have some vacation booked in Aug that is not spoken for yet. Hannah is coming down this weekend and I have a note to give her ingots to feed yours.

It does look pristine and a seven round one holer is always a good thing.

Envious in con me.

Randy

Lester Roloff
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Yep. Very pleased with the loads and the hogleg. Been years since I shot a SAA type. Different, but fun. My last ten shots went about 2.5" from 15 yards with 7 through one hole, two through another almost touching, and one pride buster (called) that opened it up to 3.5" Looking like the Trail Boss load needs a little tweeking, and the Unique load needs to get shot a lot more.

Looking forward to more fun being "Home, home on the range." wink

EDITED!

Apparently my eyeballs estimated the group larger than it really was. Caliper shows centres at 2.3" including the flyer. See below. Happy! Looks like this one is a keeper.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by the_shootist; 06/30/11. Reason: add photo and corrected info

Brother Keith

D
D
Yep. Very pleased with the loads and the hogleg. Been years since I shot a SAA type. Different, but fun. My last ten shots went about 2.5" from 15 yards with 7 through one hole, two through another almost touching, and one pride buster (called) that opened it up to 3.5" Looking like the Trail Boss load needs a little tweeking, and the Unique load needs to get shot a lot more.

Looking forward to more fun being "Home, home on the range." wink

EDITED!

Apparently my eyeballs estimated the group larger than it really was. Caliper shows centres at 2.3" including the flyer. See below. Happy! Looks like this one is a keeper.

[Linked Image]

Well, I'd say that's a keeper. I love single actions and have owned a number of rugers in the past. Fact is I"m on the fence about one in 44 spec on the new smaller frame. Unfortunately colt has now come out with the new new frontier. I like the looks of them in the short barrel and adjustable sights. {sigh}

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Mrs Shootist shot it today, and did a right tolerable job of keeping her shots centre mass. Drilled some plates too. She says she likes it lots. Oh, no! Guess I'll have to buy one for her too. grin

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Tried a few rounds today off a rest at 25 yards. No pics, but it is holding pretty consistent at 2" for 5 shots. Only problem is that it is shooting about 4" low. How do you guys adjust for that with fixed sights? Will a heavier bullet shoot to a higher point of impact?

I was going 6 for 6 on the 8" plates, but I was holding towards the top of the plates. This thing is just too much fun to shoot. laugh laugh

Brother Keith

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
You can adjust you loads to shoot to a different place or grind off the front sight if you will only be using one specific load in that revolver.

My Vaqueros in .45 Colt shoot POA at Cowboy Action Shooting distances with a 250 grain bullet at about 850 f/s. The 200 grain bullets I frequently use shoot a little lower but are close enough to POA at that short range to make very little difference in how I aim.

A friend shot a Cowboy match with me last weekend with two of my old .45 Colt Vaqueros. I think he is hooked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just hold the blade higher in the rear notch. That should have you shooting higher. You can also play around with the velocity too. Slower heavier bullets tend to shoot higher than faster bullets.

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
I bought a 255 grain RNFP mould in Winnipeg on the weekend and got some cast up today. They look pretty mean! I'll try them out tomorrow. Loaded with 4.5 gr and 5.0 gr of Trail Boss. Should correct the shooting low thing.

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
That did the trick. 255 grain bullets with a charge of 5.0 grains of Trail Boss, and she prints in the bull. Gotta love it when a plan comes together. The 200 grainers with 7.5 of Unique are up a bit, but still 3" low + or -. I may try a bit more Unique with the 200 grainers and about 5.2 Trail Boss with the 255 grainers to tweek it to the max.

Lovin' it!

Brother Keith

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
you got you a fine shooter there, Keith. smile

paul foreman
T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, Paul. Went out again today, and was shooting 6 shot blowouts at 10 yards. FUN!

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
T
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The hide is from one of medicman's African hunt. The 1895 is in 45-70, and the Vaquero is 45 Colt. Galco holster, and Hunter belt.

Brother Keith

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Notropis
Two .45 Colt Rugers. The SS is a New Vaquero. The blued one with the white grips is the old Vaquero. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

If you notice, the frame is smaller ahead of the trigger guard and there is less metal around the cartridges in the cylinder. That's why the NEW Vaqueros are no better than a 100 yr old Colt when it comes to ammo they can shoot. Ruger really screwed the pooch when they made the New vaqueros.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have three New Vaqueros, two in .357 Mag. and one in .45 Colt. The .357 Mags should be able to digest about anything other .357 Mag can. The .45 Colt is my fast draw revolver and will never see heavy loads as longs as I own it. I do use it at times with mild loads when I have guests for a cowboy shoot. I have three .45 Colt old Vaqueros, one in .44 Mag., and one in .44-40. I think they could probably shoot max loads all day long with no problems.

I don't think they make the New Vaquero in .44 Mag., so the NV in .45 Colt is probably the only combination that could cause potential problems.

I do like the way my .357 New Vaqueros handle and the way the cylinder lines up with the loading gate. I also like the way the .45 Colt NV draws. The shape of the hammer makes it easier for my hands to cock it.

My go-to revolvers for cowboy shooting remain old Vaqueros in .45 Colt.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
In my .45s, I use 5.1gr of Titegroup with a 250gr cast bullet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Oregon Trails 250g RNFP over 5.3g or 5.6g of Titegroup.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What about the point of aim and point of impact relationship with the Ruger Vaquero in 357 or 45 Colt?

Is it necessary to make some fine tuning with the sights or the barrel?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually if you measure the outside cylinder walls and calculate the thickness of the cylinder walls between the bottom of the locking bolt notch , there's preciuos little difference between the new and old vaguero's. They reduced the diameter around the cylinder rod, and shortened the new cylinders up to where a 260 gr keith bullet is about all that the length can handle.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (10gaugemag, 14idaho, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 22 invisible), 1,416 guests, and 1,012 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.