Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then you're dreamin'.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by .280Rem
and the VERY best we have in both technology, equipment, and personnel was absolutely the right way to go.

We shoulda sent Swampy, then. He could have ass shot him from his golf cart. BEST IN THE WORLD!!

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe the Stealth Bird was there to cover the insertion and extraction.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
or maybe the stealthy little helicopter is a heavily modified Blackhawk, Stallion or derivative. Doesn't have to be a totally new platform. could even have been some modified osprey for all we know

Last edited by exbiologist; 05/03/11.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Other assets were loitering for this very contingency. The team members are trained to deal with this and many other problems in layers. Helo went down, they dealt with it as trained, other assets came in to take it's place, and away they went.

More important than any airframe were the spoofers on-board. The Pakis were blind to what was happening due to the electronics on these helos and on the other assets loitering above.

We're [bleep] good, and the pakis better pray we never use it on them, because they are gigantic pieces of chit.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P.S. I'd rather pave Pakistan than Iran any day.. Felt that way for years..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
This has something to do with being able to do whatever the hell we want don't ya think.

[Linked Image]

Armen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by exbiologist
or maybe the stealthy little helicopter is a heavily modified Blackhawk, Stallion or derivative. Doesn't have to be a totally new platform.

I think Exbiologist nailed it. It definitely was not an RAH 66 Comanche. The Comanche's tail rotor is imbeded inside it's tail boom. The "mystery" copter at the crash site has an externally mounted tail rotor. Stabilizer is in wrong position, too.

There are also the mission profiles of the two copters to consider.

I think - as Exbiologist suggested - that it was a heavily modified Blackhawk with some "aftermarket" stealth customization, including a lot of composite layup. Hence all the carbon fiber-reinforced material in the debris photos.

Last edited by Armen; 05/03/11.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Foxbat

Are you freaking serious? Knowing what you know now and you are still making those calls. Thank goodness you are not calling the shots. Either of the choices you endorse would have destroyed the intel they are gathering.

That information may save MANY more American lives. It cannot hurt for sure. All you are worried about is the enemy capturing and building a "super copter" based on the tail housing.

Sheesh!!!

What intel? Neither you, nor I, nor probably anyone on this site has a clue what intel we grabbed.

Is it worth more than the stealth tech we may have given up? Do you know?

I'm merely pointing out that making decisions based on political motives CAN have consequences.

True, we don't know, yet. But your methods would have insured that we wouldn't have recovered anything.

How are you getting to send in the baddest of the bad (the Seals) with the best equipment a political statement? It is no more a political statement than sending a bomber or Tomahawk. It was a very risky call to send in the Seals just on the happen chance that there would be intelligence to recover.

Turns out that it was the right decision.

How in the living hell can you extrapolate a bunch of backwards thinking people can take that helicopter tail and turn it into a stealth weapon to be used against us? Sell it to the Russians? They have plenty that can wipe us out far quicker than a sneaky helo or aircraft. They have as many smart thinkers as anybody and they are still years behind us.

Yeah, this little bit may turn on a light bulb that they never thought of, but I will lay odds that the stuff that was gathered in that compound turns out to be far more valuable than the "stealth risk" you are all wrapped around the axle about.

The original plan was to use B-2's. Obviously those a little higher up the food chain, than you or I, felt that was the best plan, potential intel or not. It was a political decision to not have collateral damage that caused Obama to nix the B-2 plan and delay the mission for weeks while they prepared the special ops mission.

You're being obtuse if you think my concern is with the helo being handed over to the Paki's or AQ. More likely, it would be worth far more to them to sell it to the Russians or Chinese. Now maybe it's not an issue, but I was merely pointing out that this is a potential unintended consequence of making decisions that are more risky, because you don't want to kill too many bad guys.

Obtuse? I think that is a much better description for you or you have a reading comprehension problem. I brought up the Russians in my post that you quoted.

Like it was said before, you wouldn't be happy with this mission unless it was done from 30,000 feet and obliterated everyone. That does have a certain charm to it, I will admit.

But once you remove your blinders and realize that there may be an excellent opportunity to kill several more bad guys all over the world with the right intelligence. That intelligence may or may not be included in the items recovered, but your way eliminates ANY possibility of gathering that information.

Proper intelligence kills more bad guys than taking random shots. Maybe you are not a hunter and don't understand that concept.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The bird that crashed was intentional. What better way to produce a distraction while you land two others to get your team of 25 on the ground to kick some butt. Do you really think that we would send a pilot that would hit the wall with the rotor on accident?

Whether or not OBL was killed in this raid or a year and a half ago, we should understand that he is dead and will not rear his ugly smirk again. Sure, BHO could have been holding this as a trump card for when he needed it. He knew he would need some momentum building materials eventually. Bush would have claimed it if Osama died under his watch. What happens in the next 18 months could very well make PBO look even worse that he really is. It could backfire big time. Extreme Islamic terrorists are smarter than our politicians, and more dedicated to their cause. It might be tense in some areas of our country for a while.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Swampman700
How many lies does this make that the government & media have told?

Far fewer than you have posted on here.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Then you're dreamin'.

Swampbreath-I don't think you know who you are crossing swords with. Do your homework.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by bea175
this kind of mission was what this bird was designed for. As far as going to to the moon i have never been convinced 100% we actually did and it wasn't just staged for the Russies

"That's what you said about television, Dear." An Tennessee hillbilly wife to her ranting husband's comments (More or less) in Hope, Alaska, during Armstrong's moon walk. Truth.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the spin goes on.......wag the dog.

I don't think you know who you're crossing swords with....Armchair quarterbacks are very tiresome.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
How many American's died in this highly successful operation? I think the answer is ZERO.

And some of you are bitchin about some weird tail rotor section of a helo that no one can tie down the model/make of.

Get some focus.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
what the hell are you so concerned about swampman? The goverment lies, so what's new, Usama is dead OK, a helicopter crashed OK, people live and people die. What's your beef?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Obtuse? I think that is a much better description for you or you have a reading comprehension problem. I brought up the Russians in my post that you quoted.

Like it was said before, you wouldn't be happy with this mission unless it was done from 30,000 feet and obliterated everyone. That does have a certain charm to it, I will admit.

But once you remove your blinders and realize that there may be an excellent opportunity to kill several more bad guys all over the world with the right intelligence. That intelligence may or may not be included in the items recovered, but your way eliminates ANY possibility of gathering that information.

Proper intelligence kills more bad guys than taking random shots. Maybe you are not a hunter and don't understand that concept.

I've said several times that I couldn't care less which branch get's credit for the attack nor do I require the shock and awe effect of JDAM's at 30K.

You bring up reading comprehension, then ignore that I have clearly stated time and time again that my issue is with the political reason the mission was allegedly changed, along with the delay involved in doing so and the risk inherent in changing from the missions parameters of Plan A to versus B.

Potential intel gathering notwithstanding, a special ops mission like this will always carry a higher risk of failure than air mail. Had the mission failed due to OBL being moved during the delay period, or due to any other unforeseen occurrence, it would not have mattered what intel we could have gathered.

Do you know for a fact that previous missions in Afghanistan and Pakistan, in the hunt for OBL, didn't fail due to delay's in exploiting time critical intelligence? Do you know for a fact that special ops missions in Afghanistan and Pakistan didn't result in SpecOps assets coming home quietly in body bags from "training accidents in Eastern Afghanistan" instead of the high level AQ targets they went in for?

Your replies in this thread have been heavy on assumption and preaching, with no apparent experience to back them up. Perhaps you have my equivalent experience in mission planning and intelligence gathering/exploitation, in which case, I ask only that you dial down the condescension. If you don't, well...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Those of you who think the the Commanche is the latest tech really need to get a clue. It was rolled out to the public in 1994 at Ft. Rucker while I was in flight school. That was 17 years ago, so its not a spring chicken.
It also wasn't designed as a troop carrier, and if it was covering the mission, it wouldn't have landed or even been close to the ground.
The 160th has some gadgets and stuff that is solely theirs, and won't be seen anywhere else in the inventory. My old guard unit got their old Blackhawks when they got new ones and we had to come up with ALOT of parts to replace stuff that they took off when they gave up the birds. They do stuff their own way without many restrictions, monetary or otherwise.
There were more than 2 helos on the mission, you can bet on it. One Blackhawk didn't extract 25 people, gear and a corpse. Especially if the first one took a hard landing due to the hot weather with half that number on board. I wouldn't even begin to speculate on what happened, because guessing would be all I could do, and it wouldn't be accurate on a good day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
I'd stick swampy on ignore but it's like a car wreck. I just can't turn away to see what depth of stupidity he'll sink to next. crazy

Swampy has ceased to provide even comic relief for me.

Swampy has proven time and again that he's in the Marianas Trench of stupidity. When you combine that level of idiocy with his incredible narcissism and his spoiled preschooler type behavior you merely get a detestable troll who isn't worth a bucket of spit to anyone.

What an incredible waste of human flesh Swampy is.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
"the Marianas Trench of stupidity"...........

I'm cryin'....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.