Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#5225554 05/10/11
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
OK, a few threads lately have continued to perpetuate the long standing myth of heavy, slow bullets being the ultimate in "brush" guns.
IIRC EVERY experiment I have ever seen or read about over the years comes up with similar conclusions,a .243 and a 100 grainer, a .30-06 and a 150 grainer, and similar high speed pointy bullet stuff all fared better in testing than the "traditional" brush cartridges.
Course, I have "selective" memory,and no citations handy, but " Brush" guns are right up there in mythology with "Barrel break-in procedures"

Rebuttals/ opinions???

Also...it has always been my humble opinion that I was out in the woods to shoot deer, not brush....just sayin'...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Remember one that shot through 1/4" wooded dowels and the best was a 12ga. slug. Shouldn't be shooting through brush, sure can't get a good sight picture.Rick.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote from Jack O'Connor - "I found that the higher the bullet velocity, the sharper the point, the thinner the jacket, the lighter the weight, the greater the deflection" wink

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
OK, a few threads lately have continued to perpetuate the long standing myth of heavy, slow bullets being the ultimate in "brush" guns.
IIRC EVERY experiment I have ever seen or read about over the years comes up with similar conclusions,a .243 and a 100 grainer, a .30-06 and a 150 grainer, and similar high speed pointy bullet stuff all fared better in testing than the "traditional" brush cartridges.
Course, I have "selective" memory,and no citations handy, but " Brush" guns are right up there in mythology with "Barrel break-in procedures"

Rebuttals/ opinions???

Also...it has always been my humble opinion that I was out in the woods to shoot deer, not brush....just sayin'...

+1

A brush gun should be short and handy. The caliber of your choice will fair about as good as any other.

Put the first shot where it counts and you won't need to get a pump or semi auto for the brush either.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you all would just pay homage to the 30 caliber, and forsake all others, it would be a much happier place.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree with you on the instance of people slinging bullets through brush/debris.

However, I think the term "brush" gun is a genre of rifle termed to desribe characteristics appealing to those hunting in the thick stuff. Often shorter barreled rigs with a great handling feel and often the capability of a faster follow-up shot. The parallel desire to sling a heavy (often larger diameter) slug to ensure thru and thru penetration on less than perpendicular shots is intrinsic as well, regardless of the fact that actually shooting through leaves, twigs and branches will be avoided.

I think the above features (quick handling, fast repeater, big slugs) allow for shots to be taken quickly and ensure blood trails when the animal doesn't drop on the shot. Especially when long shots are often measured inside of 100yds.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ain't that what TSX's is for?.... whistle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would think that even in tight woods, a hunter is not standing in an area planning to shoot game where he can not swing a 22-24 inch barreled rifle. Think about it, you would have to be in a stand of Tag Alders or simular brush, yes you could be walking or stalking, but a couple of inches is really not going to make a difference.
It has been proven that a long, fast spinning bullet is difflected less then a slow spinning fat one, just like a top spinning slowly and bumbed, it returns to the original spot more slowly then when spinning fast. On the test they did on this with dowels, it seemed like any hit of a dowell more then 2 feet away from the target diflected the bullet too much to be accurate anyway.
Bob

Last edited by Bob257AI; 05/10/11. Reason: spelling

Thanks,
Bob
Too many calibers and not enough time for the working man to hunt with them all.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The best brush gun is one that is zeroed at 50 yards with a quality low powered scope and is accurate enough to thread a bullet through tiny openings in the brush. With a 50 yard zero you don't have to compensate for the bullet ever being 2-3" above your line of sight. With most guns you are still flat enough for the rare 100-150 yard shot. Caliber or bullet type is not nearly as important.

My understand is that heavy round nose FMJ bullets perform slightly better regardless of velocity because the weight is more forward on the bullet. With pointed bullets the weight is more toward the rear and they are more easily deflected.

I believe that any time a bullet strikes brush and still hits the target a lot of luck is involved. Better to avoid the brush with an accurate rifle in my opinion.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Rebuttals/ opinions???

I agree

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quote from Francis E. Sell - "You have, on many occasions, to buck brush for a killing shot."

Sell's experiments showed:
"First, a velocity of between 2,200 and 2,500 feet a second gave the least deflection and no blowup. Second, a bullet weight in the neighborhood of 150 grain, or heavier, is indicated."

"The shape of the bullet from round nose to spitzer point proved of less importance than I supposed at the beginning of the tests. Both spitzer point and round nose turned in good performances when with proper weight, driven at the best velocity level. That's all."
wink

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The places I hunt deer you commonly don't see a whole deer. Just parts and a lot of times your bullet hits a twig that you couldn't even see was there in your scope. I've had bullets deflected while shooting 150 grain .30-06 but it hasn't happened to me with the 180 grain .30-06 or the .30-30 170 or the .35 200 grain. All this doesn't prove anything but it's just my experience.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
I agree with you on the instance of people slinging bullets through brush/debris.

However, I think the term "brush" gun is a genre of rifle termed to desribe characteristics appealing to those hunting in the thick stuff. Often shorter barreled rigs with a great handling feel and often the capability of a faster follow-up shot. The parallel desire to sling a heavy (often larger diameter) slug to ensure thru and thru penetration on less than perpendicular shots is intrinsic as well, regardless of the fact that actually shooting through leaves, twigs and branches will be avoided.

I think the above features (quick handling, fast repeater, big slugs) allow for shots to be taken quickly and ensure blood trails when the animal doesn't drop on the shot. Especially when long shots are often measured inside of 100yds.

I tend to agree with this...I don't think the primary attribute (at least to the better informed) is to have something intended to actually "shoot through" brambles and such.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My standard length 700 in. 270 win has done a fine job for me down here in brush gun land. I've never felt the need for a heavier slower bullet. Maybe a shorter rifle but that's only for sake of weight.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
A brush gun should be short and handy. The caliber of your choice will fair about as good as any other.

+1

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have personal experience with a 270 deflected by brush a few different times. In those cases there wasn't a lot of brush, the animals were clearly visible, just some small stuff between them and me. I'm not sure what would be better, but do know that my 270(s) were not particularily "effective". In one case the animal had been hit already but was jumped again within 40 yards of me. Two shots at that one, no hits (snow on the ground). In another case it was sneaking out of it's bed and getting ready to go into high gear, within 100 yards of me. That one was nicked, a few drops of blood in the first couple of hundred yards, then nothing.
One thing I do like for hunting in the timber is something with a 22" tube as opposed to anything longer, and something that gives a decent/significant blood trail when there is no snow on the ground. They are just handier for me to get into action, a personal preference.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have been reading hunting and shooting articles for the past 40 years and have been hunting for the past 35 years. In that time I have heard every story imaginable on "brush busting" capabilities of various cartridges. One old deer hunter told me how his 300 Savage penetrated a 12" hickory on it's way to a buck on a running shot. He claimed to have killed the buck after leaving an 8" hole in the far side of the tree. I was to young to question an adult but found the story a bit beyond the scope of credibility. Veteran hunters have shared their accounts of bullets from their favorite "brush cartridge", not matter where in the spectrum it fell, be it a 243 or a 45-70, plowing unerringly through brush to their target. Any bullet, no matter the caliber, that makes it to its intended target through a heavy screen of brush, with no deflection, is indeed a lucky bullet.

I have seen most of the tests and think they are good for one thing ----selling magazines. There is no way to accurately duplicate brush deflection for every shot in a test. What is the diameter of the branch the bullet strikes, what is the species, is the branch under tension, is it under compression, is the bullet spinning clockwise or counterclockwise and which side of the branch did it strike in relation to the rotation of the bullet. Makes my brain hurt to think about all the possible and incalculable scenarios one could encounter during the course of a day of "brush hunting".

I have to agree with Jim Carmichael in this matter. I recall an article he wrote many years ago in which he stated, as one of the previous posters did, something to the effect of; a brush gun was one that handled well, instilled confidence in the shooter and was well balanced for a day of carry in the timber.

I'll get down off my soap box now.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Didn't JeffO solve this enigma a year or so ago?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
looks like you may to differentiate twixt brush guns and brush bullets...

might not hurt to add a brush babe to this thread

Defend the Constitution
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Didn't JeffO solve this enigma a year or so ago?

He voided that test when he failed to properly open Nosler's new bullet boxes.

Originally Posted by tomk
might not hurt to add a brush babe to this thread

I like the way you think!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

Who's Online Now
539 members (163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,484
Posts18,529,714
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.