OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Yup

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Give it another few months. Folks are going to be real piissed about their bills, gas prices, grocery prices, cancelled vacations, parked motor homes, etc. A demoscat hell-bent on spending isn't going to be in favor when people start voting with their pocketbooks.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Uncle Newt is supposed to make his big announcement on Hannity tonight.

I plan on being there; you betcha!

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

10. The Rasmussen Consumer Index, which measures the economic confidence of consumers on a daily basis, fell three points on Wednesday to 80.0. This is the second straight daily decline and could signal the end of a bounce in confidence that followed Osama bin Laden�s death. Consumer confidence is now down five points from its recent peak. However, it is still up five points since the bin Laden news and the coming days will determine whether it settles back to that level. From a longer perspective, consumer confidence is up two points from a month ago and down 10 points from three months ago.

THUD!

The AP poll I quoted is the only one I could find with 60% of Americans approve of Obama, 39% disapprove�up from 53%.

So to repeat Mike�s question; where did you get your 60% approval numbers?

Same place you did, AP. I'd rather overestimate his popularity than underestimate it. Always respect your enemy.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Polls are about worthless as they change so quickly and for no real reason. Before the Bin Ladin killing and during Trumps relentless Birther BS the Pres had lower poll numbers, Birth Certificate is produced polls are up slightly, Bin Ladin gets popped and numbers are up. The numbers are a snap shot of how the public feels at that moment. Poll a guy who just filled up his SUV and dropped $125 he will tell you the economy sucks. Poll a guy who just got a little nookie from the old lady for first time in a month and he will tell you life is good. Polls mean very little this far out. Check back in June 2012 and then you may get a better feel.

As Far as Newt and his announcement tonight, do you really care? Newt will be road kill by South Carolina if he makes it that far. The man had too much Jack Abramoff and Tom Delay on his hands to make an impact, unless you have forgotten the late 90's and early 2000's. I seem to remember the contract with America and spending on any project that a member of K Street wanted. Paying the price now!

Last edited by northwestalaska; 05/11/11.
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Polls are by no means worthless, they give a general idea of the political landscape at any given time, a snapshot. Of course they change, if they didn't what would be the point of continued polling? If you don't think politicians pay very close attention to polls you have a naive conception of how politics function.

I don't agree with your opinion of Newt. He could very well go all the way, although I'm predicting Romney.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

Check out my new thread about this particular AP poll.

"Hogwash"

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think some of you guys give give the half breed too much credit. If the economy stays in the tanks, energy stays high w/$4/gal fuel, unemployment stays high, etc I think Mickey Mouse could beat him.

Wrong, flat wrong.

Three years ago I remember on this forum arguing with several regulars (I won't name names) that Hillary Clinton was preferable to Obama as the democratic nominee because Hillary was essentially unelectable as president, Obama would be a far more formidable candidate. I was argued down by these guys with a "wink-wink, nod-nod" dismissal which basically implied that Obama wouldn't get elected because he was black. I countered that that was his greatest strength. Certainly it's not a weakness because I don't think any sane observer would argue that he would have been elected had he been white with his lack of qualifications.

Do NOT underestimate Obama's ability to get reelected. He's amassing the largest war chest in history and the press loves him. The country has almost 40 million people on food stamps and every one of them that can vote will be pulling the lever for Obama. He wasn't elected based upon any qualification to be president but rather because of the visceral emotional reaction he brought out in the bubble gum and hippie crowd. Intellectual arguments don't work on that bunch, you can't get past "hope" and "tax the rich" with people that shortsighted.

Obama will be very, very hard to beat no matter what the state of the economy.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

It's not Spano's poll.

Improving economy:

1. Stock market at post recovery highs and near all time highs.
2. LEI up .4% in March this after a 1% gain in Feb. and a.2% gain in Jan.
3. Retail sales up.4% in March for its ninth straight monthly gain.
4. Coincident Economic Index (CEI) up .2% in March. This index is up 1.5% over the past six months.
5. Interest rates remain near historic lows.
6. Payrolls rose in 38 states in march and the jobless rate declined in 34 states.
7. Capacity utilization rate increased to 77.4% in March continuing an improvement from the recession low of 67.3%
8. Inflation remains low with a core rate of 1.2% YOY. The CPI is now at 2.7% YOY.
9. Manufacturing in Q1 grew at a 9.1% annual rate.

I could go on...

You could go on, but it wouldn't prove your case. Yes cap utilisation is up by 6% YOY, but still well below what it should be for a recovery.

Your inflation numbers are total BS, regardless of what you want to believe. The closest to true is the "urban chained all items", or headline, and it's much higher than the "core" rate that you seem to tout as true, but still low because of the statistical mummery that goes into it.

The labor participation rate is lower than it has been in 30 years and falling, and the U6 unemployment numbers are still near 17%. The birth/death model that the BLS uses is always revised later, and in the last couple of years has been revised down. A growing economy requires at least 200,000 jobs per month to be created just to get the persons entering the workforce employed and has been no where near that for at least two years.

The stock market, using the DJIA as an example is no where near its all time highs, rather some 2000 points below it and has been range bound between 11,000 and 12800 for a very long time. ditto the S&P, NYSE and the Nasdaq. The only reason that it has run as far as it has is Fed POMO being injected into it. The moment that stops, so will the market.

Interest rates are at all time lows because of Fed buying our debt through its PD's and keeping the FF rate low. The only positive about that is that it keeps our debt service low, but the moment that Fed support stops, look for interest rates to takeoff, especially at the long end of the curve. Besides, no one is borrowing money, because they are tapped out and over indebted anyway.

At best your selected stats show an economy that is treading water, not growing at any meaningful rate. The moment that the Fed props are removed, expect it to turn down again. That may not happen until after 2012, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think some of you guys give give the half breed too much credit. If the economy stays in the tanks, energy stays high w/$4/gal fuel, unemployment stays high, etc I think Mickey Mouse could beat him.

Wrong, flat wrong.

Three years ago I remember on this forum arguing with several regulars (I won't name names) that Hillary Clinton was preferable to Obama as the democratic nominee because Hillary was essentially unelectable as president, Obama would be a far more formidable candidate. I was argued down by these guys with a "wink-wink, nod-nod" dismissal which basically implied that Obama wouldn't get elected because he was black. I countered that that was his greatest strength. Certainly it's not a weakness because I don't think any sane observer would argue that he would have been elected had he been white with his lack of qualifications.

Do NOT underestimate Obama's ability to get reelected. He's amassing the largest war chest in history and the press loves him. The country has almost 40 million people on food stamps and every one of them that can vote will be pulling the lever for Obama. He wasn't elected based upon any qualification to be president but rather because of the visceral emotional reaction he brought out in the bubble gum and hippie crowd. Intellectual arguments don't work on that bunch, you can't get past "hope" and "tax the rich" with people that shortsighted.

Obama will be very, very hard to beat no matter what the state of the economy.

I fear you are right on the money and that the best we can hope for is both houses of Congress. Hope we're both wrong.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Mike---Tell you what; you believe your numbers I'll believe mine. Last I heard no reputable economist was relying on Mikey's numbers. The economy is in and has been in recovery and this recovery will extend into 2012. BHO will ride it to a second term.

Have you ever been bullish on the economy? When? I want dates and numbers not opinions.

www.paracay.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Marvelous.

Funny when you pretend to be conservative.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Folks,
NG has "nothing" to offer."
He is simply another detached, pampered, ridiculous " DC insider" who is sure to disappoint us.
Fact is, he fell for Gore & the ridiculous global warming fiasco. Further, his moral compass is askew, and he is the same 'ole-same-ole'.
Come to your senses. Help me find a decent, reliable, sane candidate to run against bo.
Or else . . .

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
One of the most unimpressive politicans I have ever seen. He and Karl Rove should be joined at the wallet as the "pathetic twins".

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

I don't agree with your opinion of Newt. He could very well go all the way, although I'm predicting Romney. [/quote]

Good point and I respect your thoughts but...

Both Mitt and Newt will be road kill, just watch. Mitt will self destruct due to his liberal stand on health care and guns, the fear of Mormons will also sink him. As far as Newt... Well the list is soooo long. His family values problems will cook his goose as fast as anything but his real problem is the screw job he gave the voters when he and his crook buddies sold the country down the road 15 years ago. No pocket too deep and to ear mark too large for a price! K-Street knows Newt to well.

Keep fishing!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I could agree with you on Newt but I think Romney will get the nomination.

I have not endorsed anyone.

www.paracay.com

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222Sako, 257wthbylover, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 264mag, 64 invisible), 1,730 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,117
Posts18,522,844
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.