Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't buy one as currently I am spending all my "foolish money" on canoing anfishing stuff.

But there's some basic, plain jane Officer's models at the gun show that spoke to me today, for well less than $400.

Might sell off some other guns to get one next time around.

Whats the take on these? I'm recalling they are a good deal for the money.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

STI sells a Spartan model that is essentially a tuned R.I. with trigger group and adjustable sights.

The sights on the G.I. model are sparse. For another $50 you can get the tactical model with faux Novaks, and beaver tail.

I probably won't own another .45acp, but would look long and hard at a R.I. or Taurus 1911 in 9mm.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=239300682

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really nothing wrong with the RI 1911's. They seem to be rather popular, reliable and accurate. For general use, they're a good buy. Just don't let "bricktop" read this![grins]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, Bricktop says they're "turds". I guess it's hard to admit you could have done well spending less.

Mine has been trouble-free since tuning the extractor early on. It does what it's supposed to. I've seen at least one that had over 30,000 rounds through it (claimed by owner, who is a bullseye shooter), and it was only recently showing signs of stress. Guess that makes it a turd, compared to better guns - but if you have no expectation of putting that many rounds through, it makes some sense for the price.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I've seen at least one that had over 30,000 rounds through it (claimed by owner, who is a bullseye shooter)...
Well, if the owner made that claim and you posted it on the internet, then it must be true.

Give me a friggin' break.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
My turd Rock island has been an excellent pistol for about a thousand rounds now. There is one brand of factory fodder it does not like. Every report I've read on factory service/support has been good. I haven't needed it. grin

Last edited by OldRooster; 07/03/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Didn't buy one as currently I am spending all my "foolish money" on canoing anfishing stuff.

But there's some basic, plain jane Officer's models at the gun show that spoke to me today, for well less than $400.

Might sell off some other guns to get one next time around.

Whats the take on these? I'm recalling they are a good deal for the money.

Birdwatcher
They're made from soft steel. I don't have the Rockwell hardness, but they're soft compared to a Colt, Kimber, Springfield Inc., etc. Doesn't it make more sense to save your money and shop around for a better quality item? (That's a rhetorical question for the dense people.)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OldRooster
My turd Rock island has been an excellent pistol for about a thousand rounds now. There is one brand of factory fodder it does not like. Every report I've read on factory service/support has been good. I haven't needed it.
You posted it on the internet, therefore it just became true.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Bricktop - I'm with you on the gospel according to the Internet. It's all subjective so we operate on the law of averages and screen with a BS filter.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They're made from soft steel. I don't have the Rockwell hardness, but they're soft compared to a Colt, Kimber, Springfield Inc., etc.

That makes sense, I once bought an Egyptian made Helwan, a license-built copy of a single-stack 1940's vintage Beretta once favored by the Israelis in their early years. Locked up completely before too many rounds; soft steel.

Doesn't it make more sense to save your money and shop around for a better quality item?

Not if the cheaper item was/is also of accepatable quality, them old Norinco 1911's f'rinstance, before Clinton shut off the pipeline.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
They're made from soft steel. I don't have the Rockwell hardness, but they're soft compared to a Colt, Kimber, Springfield Inc., etc.
That makes sense, I once bought an Egyptian made Helwan, a license-built copy of a single-stack 1940's vintage Beretta once favored by the Israelis in their early years. Locked up completely before too many rounds; soft steel.

Doesn't it make more sense to save your money and shop around for a better quality item?

Not if the cheaper item was/is also of accepatable quality, them old Norinco 1911's f'rinstance, before Clinton shut off the pipeline.

Birdwatcher
It was understood right off the bat that the Norinco 1911s were rough, but made use of good materials. The Filipino 1911s, not so. That's the difference.

You would do well to invest in a lower-end Springfield INC. gun than flush your money down the crapper on an Armscor paperweight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know about the Rock Islands but you might want to consider the Springfields. I've always thought they were a good value. Mine have been anyway. I've owned a couple of the parkerized models that I bought in 1992, still have one of them. I didn't put much over a 1,000 rounds through either one, if that much but they've handled everything from 230 gr. ball to jacketed and lead hollow points, reloads and factory ammo without a problem. The guy I sold one to has shot it a lot more than I did and hasn't reported any trouble with it.

I don't recall if all of them come with the same sights but mine came with three dot fixed sights that I like a lot better than the old GI sights. I can still get a clean sight picture with them at 67 wearing bifocals.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
They're made from soft steel.

Armscor is no different in that regard to pre-'46 (or so) Colt 1911's. The steel isn't significantly different with modern pistols, but the heat treating is. I've seen plenty of evidence of spot heat treating, and no heat treating at all, on Armscor pistols. However, so many of their pistols are parkerized now it's tough to get a read on them.

Calling Armscor pistols "junk" on the basis of metal quality is the same as calling older Colts junk, and depending on the round count, both can be true - or not.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JOG
They're made from soft steel.
Armscor is no different in that regard to pre-'46 (or so) Colt 1911's.
I disagree.

Originally Posted by JOG
Calling Armscor pistols "junk" on the basis of metal quality is the same as calling older Colts junk, and depending on the round count, both can be true - or not.
Nope, they're junk. They're made from less-than-acceptable materials and they're poorly finished. For very close to the same price as an Armscor 1911, a very lightly used -- even occasionally new -- Springfield can be had. That being the case, the question begs, why on Earth would you WASTE money on something like that?

If these Armscor/Rock Island 1911s are such kick-ass pieces of machinery, then why aren't the bigger custom shops snapping them up as they did with the Norincos of 20 years ago?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt the Springfield is a better pistol, but that alone doesn't make the Armscor junk. "Serviceable" is the word I would use. The vast majority of shooters won't have to worry about wearing one out.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JOG
No doubt the Springfield is a better pistol, but that alone doesn't make the Armscor junk. "Serviceable" is the word I would use. The vast majority of shooters won't have to worry about wearing one out.
No, the sum of Armscor's effort makes it junk.

As soon as Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Clark Custom, and Ted Yost start building customs around Armscor products I will freely admit their 1911s have some merit. But that ain't gonna happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've seen at least one that had over 30,000 rounds through it (claimed by owner, who is a bullseye shooter)...
Well, if the owner made that claim and you posted it on the internet, then it must be true.

Well, since I can't be present for every round fired by anyone who claims anything about any pistol, all I can do is admit it was "claimed by the owner". Pretty much the same applies to anything I ever read on the internet or any gun rag. They are all claims by someone else that I have little, if any, chance to verify.

Your hyperbole included, Bricktop.

Since I am not and never likely to be a high-volume 1911 shooter, it makes little sense to spend the money on a 1911 that will likely outlast me and three generations. the RIA will likely outlast me already and do so reliably - and that's enough. Anything more than that is overkill that I am not presently willing to bother with. My money has other interests besides having the best 1911.

I never tell anyone that the RIA is better or even as good as a Springfield or Colt. I never suggest one as a platform for a "custom gun". It is what it is - a good pistol for someone wanting to learn the 1911 design without spending more than necessary, and a functional pistol - nothing more...nothing less.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Well, since I can't be present for every round fired by anyone who claims anything about any pistol, all I can do is admit it was "claimed by the owner". Pretty much the same applies to anything I ever read on the internet or any gun rag. They are all claims by someone else that I have little, if any, chance to verify.

Since I am not and never likely to be a high-volume 1911 shooter, it makes little sense to spend the money on a 1911 that will likely outlast me and three generations. the RIA will likely outlast me already and do so reliably - and that's enough. Anything more than that is overkill that I am not presently willing to bother with. My money has other interests besides having the best 1911.

I never tell anyone that the RIA is better or even as good as a Springfield or Colt. I never suggest one as a platform for a "custom gun". It is what it is - a good pistol for someone wanting to learn the 1911 design without spending more than necessary, and a functional pistol - nothing more...nothing less.

If your friend is a top bulls-eye competitor he has at least that amount through his 1911 maybe more. When I was in the service competing in bulls-eye all the top military competitors got a new match bulls-eye 1911 every year because the 1911's were worn out. Back in the day a competitor had a softball and a hardball gun and both would be wore out in a year if one were a top competitor.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by derby_dude

If your friend is a top bulls-eye competitor he has at least that amount through his 1911 maybe more. When I was in the service competing in bulls-eye all the top military competitors got a new match bulls-eye 1911 every year because the 1911's were worn out. Back in the day a competitor had a softball and a hardball gun and both would be wore out in a year if one were a top competitor.

Not a "top" competitor, but an avid local one. Does that matter? Probably doesn't make any difference to BT - 'cause he needs some kind of documentation. I guess when you live in a world where everyone lies to you, it's hard to accept when someone does not, without documentation.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,368 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.