Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any of you folks use the Bog Pod, Trigger stick, Stoney Point style tripod shooting sticks? What say you?

Last edited by Gary O; 07/04/11.

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a few different bipod/tripods. My favorite is the red legged Bog Pod. It is slightly heavier, but more stable.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bog Pod

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought the primos trigger stick, and like it very well.

maddog

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Polecat Bi-pod, works standing, kneeling, or flat on Your hiney.

Gunner

p.s. the have absorbed hundred's of round's of 577, 500 Nitro Express, and 505 Gibbs, from the back of my left hand, so they are very durable.

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the red legged bog pod and find it better than the stoney point and a set of fixed leg bipods I have.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary O, never used sticks but once in my life and it cost me a 60+ inch Kudu! So If I can't hit that animal off hand at 10 to 150 yards, I will use the sitting position or a tree, rock but not shooting sticks and especially for dangerous game animals.
My father taught me how to shoot and the US ARMY took me 3 levels higher in marksmanship. I don't use sticks period! Only a Harris Bipod for varmints way out youndar way.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Bog pod tripod, works well.
In Africa, I used the PH's trigger stick. He preferred it because it was easier to adjust when set up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tonk
never used sticks but once in my life

it cost me a 60+ inch Kudu!

There's your problem...Like anything else using sticks needs practice..The time to learn is not infront of a 60" Kudu....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I found sticks to be an essential component of my African hunting and I learned how to use the bipod type. Py PH had two types, one a home made device lashed together by some twine and the other was a commercial affair with telescoping legs and a canvas "sling" to rest the rifle on. Here in the states I used the Stoney Point with no issues.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pete your correct! Yes, just like fly fishing, you don't wait until you get their to learn how it is down etc. I had no idea that PH's in Africa used sticks in the first and nobody bothered to go over the facts with me the day before either. I suppose they thought such things are a given but not to this Yank!

I still don't and won't use them, until I can not hold my rifle steady, then I'll do what I have always done and find myself a support and this won't be someone elses sticks.

Jorge-1 The US ARMY does a very good job of teaching it's troops how to use a rifle off-handed and trust me sir, this I can do without the help of sticks. Funny I have never seen an elephant shot with the client using a set of sticks! Well anyway Jorge I can still hold my own up to 200 yards on a killing area that is 12 x 12 inches. I can also shoot with either hand and perhaps a tad better with my left side, do to better vision in my left eye. However, makes no difference to me except for the rifles being right handed.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If I can't hit that animal off hand at 10 to 150 yards, I will use the sitting position or a tree, rock but not shooting sticks and especially for dangerous game animals.

Tonk, I don't know where you hunted, but where I went on my one safari (east central Namibia) there were many places where the brush was too high to sit, go prone, or even use a conventional kneeling position, but too low or insubstantial to provide support.

Out of eight animals, I shot five standing with the sticks, and one from a high double kneeling position, resting on the side of the sticks (not the steadiest position but steadier than I would have been offhand).

As for the others, I shot one from standing, rested on the side of a tree, and one from the window of a tower stand. There was also a close range offhand follow-up shot at a kudu (fatally hit from the sticks but it ran a short distance and got up when we approached it).

Only once did I set up to shoot from sitting (at a blesbok at 200 yards), but the PH's dachshund decided that was a good moment to go lie down right under the muzzle of my .375, so I held fire.

In short, I'm a big fan of the sticks ... but also practiced a lot with a homemade pair, both dry fire and at the range, for 6+ months before the trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you need shooting sticks to poke an elephant at 25 yards or less you have issues beyond the scope of this thread. I learned a little about shooting in the Corps, hope that's ok. back to the topic, thanks to them I took a 58 3/4" kudu at about 150 yards. Come to think of it, the only off-hand kill in Africa was the big wartie and I whacked him with a running shot off hand at 100 yards. Not bad for an amateur. Say, didn't you hunt with Saeed over on AR one time?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The answer to your question was NO!

Oh Yeah, now what is AR may I ask?

Last edited by Tonk; 07/05/11.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll get back to you, I have a few PMs out...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tonk,

After LEARNING to use shooting sticks, I carry them when hunting anywhere, whether a small set for sitting in open country, or a taller, adjustable set that can be switched between sitting and standing heights.

They don't get used for every shot, because they're not needed for every shot. But with practice they can make a sitting shot as easy as prone, and just about double the effective range of a practiced offhand shooter. And yes, there are many places in North America where the vegetation prevents using a "natural" rest, just like in Africa.

My favorites are an adjustable 2-legged Bog-Pod, and set of Underwood sitting sticks I've had for at least 15 years. My wife, however, likes the 3-legged Bog-Pod for everything, and has made some spectacular shots off one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tonk,

Why are you saying you never hunted with Saeed? He paid for the whole trip, you hunted with my Safari company! You were using a different name back then, It was Cody or Latigo, or one of the many other aliases you made up.

This has never been a surprise to anyone that visits here, we all know who you are. We find great humor in all the stories you post up about shooting prowess and adventures when all the people that lived through your safari with Saeed know all the painful details of that trip reading about it on the AR site!

As has been said to you for more then a decade now, Post up what you know about, and read past and learn from what you don't. Regardless of your chosen name you have an easily identified internet "fingerprint". Nobody here is confused or surprised by this, that has seen and lived through your "expert" posts and opinions.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bingo. Kinda like my fishing thread over on the Campfire. You cast enough and sooner or later....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buehler, Buehler....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
back on topic after the outing, this link might not work for everyone, but it has a good view of the sticks I used the last time I was there. Worked from buffalo at 25 yards to a kudu at over 350. jorge

buff hunt

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,088
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.