Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
might add another thing since i am on a roll. I think often people pay a lot more on a gun than they are actually capable of shooting to it's capability.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

just because it has the dancing pony on it don't make it real
That's a good quote.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

just because it has the dancing pony on it don't make it real
That's a good quote.

I thought so too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Why on Earth would anyone buy something that required a lot of work? Like a RIA.

Now you've stepped squarely into BSland.

Even the base-model RIA does not "require a lot of work". It may not have the bells & whistles you think it should have, but that doesn't mean it requires anything.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...If your exalted RIA zip guns are of the quality that no self-respecting gunsmith will guarantee any sort of build work on one, exactly what does that say about your little zip gun's quality?...

Might ask what it says about the gunsmith. He'd look kinda silly in the eyes of a fool with $4000 to blow on a gun that won't do $3700 worth of something the $300 gun will not do. Said fool might wonder about the whole business...if he got to thinkin'.

Seriously - those top gunsmiths don't want to waste their time on anybody who's looking to save money. By excluding (or dissing) an inexpensive gun like the RIA, they can weed out a bunch of those people (many of them with guns other than the RIA) and keep them from clogging up their in-box. Is it that hard for you to grasp that concept? The undertone (which is reasonable, BTW) that is there for all to see is "don't waste my time if you don't have deep pockets".

And on that note, anybody who spends $3700 on a handgun that is strictly for pleasure while his kids eat at McD's and his wife drives a 20 year-old car is, in my book, a fool.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
...As soon as Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Clark Custom, and Ted Yost start building customs around Ruger products I will freely admit their 1911s have some merit. But that ain't gonna happen.
smile

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Why on Earth would anyone buy something that required a lot of work? Like a RIA.

Even the base-model RIA does not "require a lot of work". It may not have the bells & whistles you think it should have, but that doesn't mean it requires anything.

Saw another piece of Filipino [bleep] at the local Emporium the other day. It felt nice and solid.
It was an ATI Government model made by RIA's competitor S.A.M. I understand that they
use bar stock for their slides with a cast frame. For $400 they are also worth a try.

Love the beginning of this clip.

Last edited by rkamp; 07/07/11.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Just curious how many here have had any interaction with smiths such as Yost, Hoag, Garthwaite, Christiansen, or any other of the top smiths in the business?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hound_va
Just curious how many here have had any interaction with smiths such as Yost, Hoag, Garthwaite, Christiansen, or any other of the top smiths in the business?

I have a real nice Nighthawk catalog I read in the john.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have no dog in this fight, however, it has been related to me that some handgun smiths that specialize in the 1911 will not attempt to customize some particular guns because they are out of spec for the particular parts the smith likes to use. The holes and pins, ect. aren't exactly in the right place or slightly out of dimension compared to the standards of the 1911 as it was designed or as certain aftermarket parts are produced. That is a headache for the smith trying to match parts up or modify them to work if the gun is out of specification. At least that's what I've been told in the past... I dunno.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have no dog in this fight, however, it has been related to me that some handgun smiths that specialize in the 1911 will not attempt to customize some particular guns because they are out of spec for the particular parts the smith likes to use. The holes and pins, ect. aren't exactly in the right place or slightly out of dimension compared to the standards of the 1911 as it was designed or as certain aftermarket parts are produced. That is a headache for the smith trying to match parts up or modify them to work if the gun is out of specification. At least that's what I've been told in the past... I dunno.

I sure would not spend $3.5K plus pistol and wait several years to have one of the name smiths work over a RIA. I would not want to spend any additional money on a RIA except for springs and magazines. If it proved worthy then maybe a trigger job from a local smith.

My one and only 1911 currently is a custom Delta Elite by D.R. Middlebrooks. Traded a like new Colt .38 Super Lite stright up for it 10 years ago. Nicely executed, but I would not have paid for the high cut grip, beveled slide, and various serrations.

Do you own any 1911's that are of dubious quality, but shoot surprisingly well?

[Linked Image]

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
After owning 20 1911's I am primarily a Colt or Baer guy, and think in their respective price ranges, they have the best batting average. I have owned several Colts made in the last 10-15 years, and really can't think of any of them that I would call a bad gun. The Colts from the 80's and early 90's? ummm....some did did have problems, some minor, some not so minor frown

The Springfield Mil-Spec guns seem to be fit a little looser than their "loaded" or "custom" models, and a more reliable, too. I had a .38 Super Mil-Spec and the silly thing would even run with anemic .38 ACP ammo. These are more expensive than the Rock Islands, but less than Colts or Kimbers.

Kimber's batting average seems to be about 40% problems. I do have a 10mm Target model, and it's pretty good, but not as reliable as my Colt 10mm's.

S&W and Sig are getting good buzz on their guns. I saw a Commander-size Sig 1911 this weekend - night sights, checkered front strap, $900. For those features, that's a pretty good buy.

The Norinco 1911's had a decent reputation, so it's certainly possible that RIA's run well, too. Honestly, I think if you use a good magazine, tune the extractor correctly, hit the major dimensions, and don't fit them too tight, it's not that hard to make a reliable 1911.

Another good buy for a shooter 1911 is a Sistema, the 1911A1 copies made in Argentina. They ARE 1911A1, mil spec guns in every sense of the name, and often have very attractive rollmarks on their slides, for what that's worth. Most I have seen have been carried (or stored in desk drawers) more than shot.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Nope, but I think you've stepped into fantasy land if you think a RIA is anything beyond a plinking gun at best.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...If your exalted RIA zip guns are of the quality that no self-respecting gunsmith will guarantee any sort of build work on one, exactly what does that say about your little zip gun's quality?...
Might ask what it says about the gunsmith. He'd look kinda silly in the eyes of a fool with $4000 to blow on a gun that won't do $3700 worth of something the $300 gun will not do. Said fool might wonder about the whole business...if he got to thinkin'.

Seriously - those top gunsmiths don't want to waste their time on anybody who's looking to save money. By excluding (or dissing) an inexpensive gun like the RIA, they can weed out a bunch of those people (many of them with guns other than the RIA) and keep them from clogging up their in-box. Is it that hard for you to grasp that concept? The undertone (which is reasonable, BTW) that is there for all to see is "don't waste my time if you don't have deep pockets".

And on that note, anybody who spends $3700 on a handgun that is strictly for pleasure while his kids eat at McD's and his wife drives a 20 year-old car is, in my book, a fool.
You're just about as dumb as a f*cking brick. "Top gunsmiths" have incentive (get someone to explain "incentive" to you, little man) get their customers into a low up front price so they can pad the back end of a deal. Maybe you should get someone to explain that to you, because it's sure as hell obvious that you've probably never had the temerity to even have priced out -- let alone afford -- the services of a custom gunsmith for anything beyond nickel plating your trusty Hi Point.

I suppose the "McD's" -- I guess that's some kind of metrosexual/ebonics hipster bullshit for McDonald's, the choice of the better-dressed morbidly obese everywhere -- wife driving the beater must be drawn from your own experience. Your low-rent posts certainly point in that direction.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The Norinco 1911's had a decent reputation, so it's certainly possible that RIA's run well, too. Honestly, I think if you use a good magazine, tune the extractor correctly, hit the major dimensions, and don't fit them too tight, it's not that hard to make a reliable 1911.
Since this seems to be a repeating pattern of failure to read, comprehend, and THEN post, allow me to reiterate. The Norinco was made from GOOD materials with proper hardness, that offered the ability to be machined. This is where the Filipino RIAs fall short. If the RIA was made from materials that could be reasonably welded without risk of cracking or peening, any "out of spec" holes wouldn't be of much consequence.

RIA: the Hi Point of 1911s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Finally got to see all the clip. Looks like that el cheapo 1911 seems to do everything that is required of it.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I suppose the "McD's" -- I guess that's some kind of metrosexual/ebonics hipster bullshit for McDonald's, the choice of the better-dressed morbidly obese everywhere -- wife driving the beater must be drawn from your own experience. Your low-rent posts certainly point in that direction.

Nope, BT - I never put my wife in a beater. Neither have I required her to work to pad my toy budget. I suspect that's more your style. If your reading comprehension was as good as your insult vocabulary, you might have caught on to that.

Last edited by FreeMe; 07/10/11. Reason: semantics

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have two RIA 1911s, both the 5" "Govt Model" clones with phosphate finish, one in 45 ACP and the other in 9mm. They aren't exactly M1911A1 clones because some details are different.

The 45 ACP version I bought used for $290 out the door. Using nothing but CMC Shooting Star mags I've put 1100 rounds of 230 gr FMJ reloads through this RIA in 2-1/2 years, and it has yet to fail to feed, fire, or eject. The only thing I did to it was tweak the extractor to stop the empties from hitting me on the head. As for accuracy, I can bust claybirds sitting prpped up on edge on the 25 yard berm, 7 or 8 for 8, each mag, if I'm doing my part.

Is it in the same class as a $3500 race gun? Not by $3200. Is it a great value in a plinker? I think so.

I liked the 45 ACP version so much I bought one in 9mm because I love the 1911 in 9mm. I have two other 9mm 1911s, a Series 70 Mk IV and an early 60s Lightweight Commander with the brown plastic grips and turning-plum colored slide. All three of the 9mm 1911s will also bust the 25 yd claybirds with boring repeatability. The RIA has 819 rds through it as of last weekend. Again, no failure of any kind, except for the slide fails to stay locked open with the SS Pachmayr 9mm mags. With Mecgar and Colt mags the slide locks back every time.

I own 12 different 1911s and clones at the moment, and for an inexpensive, apparently reliable plinker the RIA fits the bill in my opinion. I don't really care that top-drawer race gun builders don't use the RIA frame as a platform, because that doesn't really mean that much to me. They may use Norinco 1911s among others, but they didn't at first "back in the day." I was "present at the creation" in the late 80s and early 90s when the Norc 1911s first saw the light of day in the US, and there was much wailing and knashing of teeth w.r.t. "cheap Chinese junk" until someone tried to customize one and discovered their almost too-hard hardness. Lots of people in the 1911 community then quietly ate crow and started buying up $289 Norc 1911s.

Spot hardening is done because it imparts hardness and wear resistance at the localized points of high loading, leaving the rest of the slide/frame in a tougher, lower hardness state. The alternative is to harden the entire frame/slide but that can lead to brittleness.

I love the 1911. It stems from shooting my uncle's Colt back in the 60s when I was in late grade school, and as a 2111 (Small Arms Repairman) in the USMC/USMCR from '72 to '86. I've personally owned probably 30 or 35 different 1911s since the late 70s. I've worked on hundreds of M1911A1s in various stages of repair and disrepair that saw at the time around 30-35 years of use in a number of wars and conflicts. The 1911 may have it's (well-known) foibles but IMO the intrinsic design is brilliant.

IMO, the shift to modern manufacturing techniques including CMC machining and PLC-controlled heat treating and finishing processes has enable manufacturers to turn out a product that is much more in tolerance using little or no skilled labor. The days of the hand-fit firearm are on advanced life support; the hand-fit handgun manufacturers now have names like Wilson Combat, Les Baer, Performance Center, and Custom Shop. A CNC-produced product like the RIA or the Springfield "Mil-Spec" allows 1911 enthusiasts to acquire affordable weapons for now-and-again weekend plinking or just-in-case home defense.

JMO. The RIA "is what it is," fills a niche, can't be all things to everybody, and as such works for me.

Noah

Resistance is NOT futile. Resistance is Voltage divided by Current.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple comments:

Norincos were decent pistols as is, and very good pistols after gunsmiths threw everything away but the frame and slide.

Spot hardening was done on Colts because they had yet to solve the problem of part warping and/or shrinking. Nowadays the only reason a manufacturer would spot treat is that it's cheaper or they don't know how.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very good post. The Norinco was quite a pistol until Clinton banned their importation.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

61 members (anothergun, 338Rules, 6mmbrfan, 10 invisible), 934 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.