Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by derby_dude
To Guyandarifle and Whitworth1:

This is an argument that has been going on since the invention of the gun: all the energy inside or through and through energy/hole. This an argument that will probably never be won.

I've never hunted pigs wild or otherwise. In visting all the hog hunting forums I could find it seemed to me that all the big guns from 30-06 up to and including elephant guns took many rounds to put down a pig even the pigs that weren't super sized. The same could be said of the really big handguns.

One reason I suspect the smaller calibers tend to put down the pigs with one shot and DRT is because of the lower recoil, people tend to shoot more and practice more. I know I shoot my 1911 a heck of lot more than I do my .44mag. I also shoot my .22lr bench gun a heck of a lot more than my .308 Win. bench gun. Lower recoil guns tends to lead me to shoot more than the heavier recoiling guns do.

We all seem to agree that the old boys in the video had a gun they did not shoot very well. Had they had a lower recoiling handgun that they shot a lot and placed their shots better that old pig might have gone down with the first shot.

There is noarguement for anyone that has a clue about the subject. Physics is the JUDGE and there is no arguement. Fact i that a bullet strike is an inelastic collision and the conservation of energy can not be used in an inelastic collision. Energy is mostly transformed into thermal enrgy, some enrgy transforms into sounds as well as some other forms. There can be a SMALL amount of enrgy transfer, but this amount is untracable and unimportant in terminal ballistics. There if you can prove other wise I am sure a Pultzer prize in science awaits and Physics has been wrong for centuries, but I ain't holding my breath

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

This is an argument that has been going on since the invention of the gun: all the energy inside or through and through energy/hole. This an argument that will probably never be won.

I've never hunted pigs wild or otherwise. In visiting all the hog hunting forums I could find it seemed to me that all the big guns from 30-06 up to and including elephant guns took many rounds to put down a pig even the pigs that weren't super sized. The same could be said of the really big handguns.

One reason I suspect the smaller calibers tend to put down the pigs with one shot and DRT is because of the lower recoil, people tend to shoot more and practice more. I know I shoot my 1911 a heck of lot more than I do my .44mag. I also shoot my .22lr bench gun a heck of a lot more than my .308 Win. bench gun. Lower recoil guns tends to lead me to shoot more than the heavier recoiling guns do.

We all seem to agree that the old boys in the video had a gun they did not shoot very well. Had they had a lower recoiling handgun that they shot a lot and placed their shots better that old pig might have gone down with the first shot.

There is no arguement for anyone that has a clue about the subject. Physics is the JUDGE and there is no argument. Fact i that a bullet strike is an inelastic collision and the conservation of energy can not be used in an inelastic collision. Energy is mostly transformed into thermal energy, some energy transforms into sounds as well as some other forms. There can be a SMALL amount of energy transfer, but this amount is untraceable and unimportant in terminal ballistics. There if you can prove other wise I am sure a Pulitzer prize in science awaits and Physics has been wrong for centuries, but I ain't holding my breath

Well I don't know beans about no physics all I know is bullet companies spend zillions on different types of bullets from big chucks of lead the make a hole clean through an animal to bullets that expand to twice sometime three times the bullets size with giant wound channels, the bullets don't exist and animals die either way. I figure bullet companies wouldn't spend all that money if there was no argment on what a bullet does they would just make one type of bullet and that would be it.

YMMV.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've never hunted pigs wild or otherwise. In visiting all the hog hunting forums I could find it seemed to me that all the big guns from 30-06 up to and including elephant guns took many rounds to put down a pig even the pigs that weren't super sized. The same could be said of the really big handguns.

There is no arguement for anyone that has a clue about the subject. Physics is the JUDGE and there is no argument. Fact i that a bullet strike is an inelastic collision and the conservation of energy can not be used in an inelastic collision. Energy is mostly transformed into thermal energy, some energy transforms into sounds as well as some other forms. There can be a SMALL amount of energy transfer, but this amount is untraceable and unimportant in terminal ballistics. There if you can prove other wise I am sure a Pulitzer prize in science awaits and Physics has been wrong for centuries, but I ain't holding my breath

Well I don't know beans about no physics all I know is bullet companies spend zillions on different types of bullets from big chucks of lead the make a hole clean through an animal to bullets that expand to twice sometime three times the bullets size with giant wound channels, the bullets don't exist and animals die either way. I figure bullet companies wouldn't spend all that money if there was no argment on what a bullet does they would just make one type of bullet and that would be it.

YMMV.

Again you figure WRONG. Those companies make what guys like you want to buy. A great buissnes decision, but not always a good termal decisions

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another troll from a member who doesn't even hunt.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Rancho_Loco - Your comment is a reply to a post from JWP475...are you saying JWP doesn't hunt, 'cause you can bet your arse he does?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Rancho_Loco - Your comment is a reply to a post from JWP475...are you saying JWP doesn't hunt, 'cause you can bet your arse he does?

I don't think his comment was directed at JWP......

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I never said I've never hunted I said I've never hunted pigs and I was willing to learn not be insulted.

This is NOT directed to you Whitworth or Kevin.

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fact i that a bullet strike is an inelastic collision and the conservation of energy can not be used in an inelastic collision.

Actually it can, and I've explained it to you before. If you want to learn on your own, find out what happens when kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy via friction.

Sorry, but the laws of physics don't make exceptions for those who do not understand them.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No the laws of physics do not make exceptions.

An excellent book on the subject.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwp475; 07/15/11.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Obviously, a .454 Casull is more than adequate for the biggest, baddest pig on the planet.

I would take the 460 S&W over the Cassull any day of the week.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Obviously, a .454 Casull is more than adequate for the biggest, baddest pig on the planet.

I would take the 460 S&W over the Cassull any day of the week.

I would not.......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I saw that video awhile back on youtube doing the same thing you were doing. I can't believe that 454 didn't stop the pig with a real quickness. Maybe they were using 45 longcolt. I don't know.

"You've got to be slow in a hurry." Wyatt Earp
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tombstone
I saw that video awhile back on youtube doing the same thing you were doing. I can't believe that 454 didn't stop the pig with a real quickness. Maybe they were using 45 longcolt. I don't know.

Having hunted hogs with the .460, .454, and .45 Colt, I would take the .45 Colt every time over the other two. The Colt loads I use are more than adequate for anything you may encounter in the lower 48, without all of the blast created by those other two cartridges.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Whatever they were using they were certainly poor shots and I certainly wouldn't post a you tube video of it. Heck, I'd want hang my head in shame.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well, I thought it was interesting but one can't learn much from a clueless [bleep] like our video hero. It did make me appreciate the cameramen who do the pro videos however.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Location, location, location. wink A miss with a field artilery piece doesn't kill very quickly, either. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Location, location, location. wink A miss with a field artilery piece doesn't kill very quickly, either. grin

I don't know about that. Anything within a 100 to 150 yard radius of 155MM howitzer is pretty much toast with high explosives. Of course, that was about 35 years ago. You maybe right today.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Those guys stalked that pig in the video for a long time more than I would have if I knew I had an adequate firearm in my hand as well as confidence in my ability to put the bullet in the kill zone.

So, evidently all they DID have was a powerful firearm which they had no business with. That poor pig suffered a long time even after the finishing shot which, I think was even a miss also.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Having hunted hogs with the .460, .454, and .45 Colt, I would take the .45 Colt every time over the other two.

Same here. In capable hands a 45 Colt hardly needs an encore nor an upgrade. I carry 45 Colt in my revolvers or 45 Super in my 1911's when pigs are a concern or on the menu.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Having hunted hogs with the .460, .454, and .45 Colt, I would take the .45 Colt every time over the other two.

Same here. In capable hands a 45 Colt hardly needs an encore nor an upgrade. I carry 45 Colt in my revolvers or 45 Super in my 1911's when pigs are a concern or on the menu.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

302 members (10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 34 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,892
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.