Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How about a Remington mountain rifle LSS in 30-06 or a Remington model 7 CDL in 300 WSM or 350 Rem mag?

HR IC

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
I don't go by the design, I go by field reports, what works, what gives issues etc is what I go by....

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that they've had their QC challenges.

Dober

Well put, hard to argue that.

Golden............
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM

I have a Sako A7 with Talleys and Leupold VX3 3.5x10 CDS that weighs exactly 7 lbs.

I put a limbsaver on it and that really takes some out of the punch you get.
You wouldn't need a muzzle brake.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Trevor60
rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. Thanks
Trevor

Trevor,
I have a Tikka T3 Lite 300 WSM. It shoots factory Federal 165 TSX 5 shot 300 yard groups of about 2 1/2". An excellant choice it feels and handles very lightly and I had a "LimbSaver" brand recoil pad installed and it really absorbs well. I am a small frame guy of 5'-8" and with the LimbSaver I can shoot 40 rounds from the bench without a sore shoulder the next day!

I wouldn't get a muzzle brake, as they can cause permanent hearing damage. Even if you use it at the range with muffs, are you going to wear them when hunting? Not to mention the effects on your hunting companions or horses that may be near you.

If your not going to hand load, I would advise against a 30-06 because of so many older rifles in circulation, some of the factory ammo is pathetically weak. From a 200 yard zero, I was shocked at how much a factory 30-06 Hornady 165 grainer dropped at 300 yards.

You mentioned a M70 which I happen to love but, compared to a Tikka they do feel a bit heavier. Still either would be an excellent choice IMHO.
Happy Hunting

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Savage 99-yepper the QC is so much better @ Kimber... grin

Dober

I doubt that you have any manufacturing Quality Control experience.

The Kimber design is better in most ways. That's what I described. The design.

Design might be better but the execution is lacking . What good is it if it doesn't function or does that not matter?.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kimber did have quality control issues...at least in my case. My 84M Classic Varmint in .22-250 had feeding and firing pin issues, both of which were corrected; one by the dealer and the other by a call to the Kimber Custom Shop. The issues were enought that I was ready to completely swear off Kimber, as I thought (and still do) a thousand dollar rifle should WORK, right out of the box.

However, after a few years to simmer down, and no issues, I really liked the fit, feel and look of the rifle, and it functioned flawlessly. So, when I came across a trade deal on a used 8400 Classic in .300 WSM, I, with some hesitation, decided to give Kimber another chance. I really like this gun and haven't had any functional issues.

I don't know if the company has fixed the QC problems, or if I got lucky on this one.

If they do have issues, Kimber makes it right, and once fixed, my rifle was as good as any other I've ever had.

I still recommend them, knowing if you do happen to have an issue, they'll take care of you.

...but I just wish they'd have gotten it right the first time. That'd make me a whole lot more confident in shelling out the money for another.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SU35
In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM

I have a Sako A7 with Talleys and Leupold VX3 3.5x10 CDS that weighs exactly 7 lbs.

Excellent idea!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SU35

That would be my choice for an outta the box Mtn rifle that won't break the bank.

MtnHtr

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Im a Rem guy at heart, but I am gradually adding some kimbers to the team. I started with a Montana 30 Gov't '06. It shoots fantabulous, its light, and easy to carry.

I just added a Mont. in 260 Rem. It's waiting to be shipped off for a paint job and some cerakote. My MK V 257 WBY UL hasnt been out in 4 years now. If I were in the market for a light, easy to carry, do all rifle it would be the Kimber Montana hands down (in a 7mm of some sort).

Joseph

Joseph
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down my choice for a hunting rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am looking to purchase a Practical/Mountain rifle. In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. I have a 308 tac rifle but it weighs 15 lbs and I am getting tired (read older) humping it through the bush

This will be my North American Big game rifle. From moose on down to white tail, I have no intention at this time to hunt the big bears. I will be hunting From BC to Quebec and the northern US states.

I am initially looking at Tikka but others have suggested the Winchester M70, or other options

I my put a brake on it for recoil management and follow up shots where needed.

I do not plan to reload for this rifle I already have my plate full for reloading for comps as I spend 1,000 of rounds down range in various disciplines. So factory ammo offerings are the preferred choice. If you have a favorite factory ammo choice I am all ears.

Let me know your thoughts and why you chose what you did.

Thanks
Trevor
............For follow up shots, do ya really think you would need a brake on either a 308, 30-06 or 300 WSM?

The definition of a practical mountain rifle would be best determined with how you plan to use it. What terrain? Mountains mostly? Flatter terrain? Lots of bush and timbers? Primarily a hiking rifle? Shorter to medium ranges? Longer ranges?

I`d be looking at rifles approx 41"-42" long or less chambered in cartridges which would do all of that comfortably (ease when hiking, short and longer ranged shooting, in the bush, timbers, flat wide open terrain, so that you`ll be well covered in any situation.

The Tikkas which were mentioned (if you don`t mind their receiver looks and detachable magazines) are a fine choice.

The 20" barreled Ruger U/Lite chambered in the 30-06?

22" barreled Remy M7 or Browning chambered in the 300 WSM?
There are lots of choices you could go with.

But since you asked what we did? What I did and currently use more often than my other two, certainly isn`t conventional and would not be preferred by most if not all. What I wanted was a lighter, fast to target, short and handy piece, which at the same time is very capable of a 500 yard bull elk shot should that be needed in open country.

Because it isn`t a problem for me, I chose to let the cons of extra noise/blast and recoil fall by the wayside. My thinking is that when on a hunt, the actual shooting time is only a split second, but carrying and doing everything else with a rifle is many hours each day.

My little handy 35.5" OAL 300 WSM Frontier compact, is probably one of the more obnoxious, noisier rifles around. In the field, my Walker Game Ears do the job very well. At the same time however, I have 24" barreled `06 performance w/factory ammo (2800+ fps 180 gr) and can get even better velocity and accuracy results with my reloads. Like for example, a 175 gr VLD @ 2973 fps? Yep!

Regardless of terrain, it is one of the sweetest handy/carrying rifles to take on a hunt, and yet is powerful enough to take down any NA big game.

If you don`t mind the extra noise where it "wouldn`t" be a shooting hindrance (recoil and flinching) and prefer better manuverability, handiness, carrying ease etc, a similar themed powerful, short barreled rifle in another rifle brand might be your ticket. 300 WSM Ruger compacts were discontinued.

Anyway, that`s what I did. It is obvious that I and maybe a few others here and there, don`t always follow the conventional theme songs or the conventional ways of thinking......crazy crazy crazy

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I am hoping you guys can help me narrow down my choice for a hunting rifle shooting factory ammo.

I am looking to purchase a Practical/Mountain rifle. In the 6-8 lbs range I am primarily looking for a .30 cal the choices are 30-06 or 300WSM. I have a 308 tac rifle but it weighs 15 lbs and I am getting tired (read older) humping it through the bush

This will be my North American Big game rifle. From moose on down to white tail, I have no intention at this time to hunt the big bears. I will be hunting From BC to Quebec and the northern US states.

Trevor I'm not surprised you are getting tired humpin that thing around! cry grin

Remarkably archaic,hopelessly retro,and as inspirational as watching grass grow.....but i would get a pre 64, Classic, or SC M70 FW chambered for 30/06 Springfield and drop it in a McMillan, Brown Precision, or Bansner stock.

It would have cross slot format bases (lightweight),and two scopes set up to allow for wierd contingencies in remote places.

Reasons?

Try 74 years of consistent, reliable and pretty much fool proof service in the game fields of the world,taking everything from the pachyderms on down on every continent on the globe.

I can think of many things that would suffice for the use, but seriously doubt there has ever been anything better for the stated purposes.

And if you think there IS anything better,you are in need of deep therapy grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob-IME and IMO your way is by far the best, I was just trying to save the dude some coinage..grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If I was going to have one rifle for the whole continent, it would be a M70 Extreme Weather in .30-06 with a VX3 3.5-10.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
How about finding a M70 Lightweight Carbine in 30-06, 20" barrel, put it in a McM Edge and add a Swaro Z3 3-9x36? That might be a nice package.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 07/18/11.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Just get a Stainless Rem mountain rifle in 30-06, dump it into a Medalist of your choice, add a little Devcon, scope it the way you like and rock on.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Remington XCR-II in .30-06.
................Available at Walmart???? laugh

They don't carry them but they can order them, and they are less expensive than anyone else.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Remington XCR-II in .30-06.
................Available at Walmart???? laugh

They don't carry them but they can order them, and they are less expensive than anyone else.
............And there`s a Wal-Mart right down the street from me too!

Ooops! Walmarts don`t sell rifles here in Caleeefornia???

I`ll stick with my dealer. He sells rifles like 375 Ruger Alaskans and Africans, 338-378 Bee MK5s, plus many more rifles other than the Walmart puzzy-fication specials, where the close-minded `ol buzzards go to buy their more boring 270s and 30-06s....... laugh laugh laugh

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He sells rifles like 375 Ruger Alaskans and Africans, 338-378 Bee MK5s,

Perhaps you could order an accurate rifle through Bud's.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dober: I figured.... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Factory tubed Remington 700 mountain rifle (replace shroud and trigger guard) and thrown in a McMillan Hunter's Edge. All up with Leupold 2.5-8x.

This one is a 243 but make it a 7mm08 or 308 and rock on, or run a 243 or replace the tube and make it any dang thing you wish that will fit a short action.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.