Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like the Elite series, have several 4200's and one 6500. I'm looking at a 4200 4-16x40 as that model can be fitted with a Kenton TTC turret without modification. Those scopes have longer bodies, making mounting easier than the Leupy's with their shorter tubes. I like my scopes moved back so I don't have to stock crawl. Most Leupy's need offset mounts, which can be a pain, especially on a long action. Short actions aren't as much of a problem.

To me the Elite series has glass equivalent to the new VX-3 series, which I also like. I have a 3.5-10x40 CDS on a 45-70 BPCR for primitive weapons season.

DF

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Bug
After running a 3200 that I was quite impressed with (10X40 mil dot, wth the water-faucet knobs), I bought a 4200. Man, that was a mistake! The glass was very clear and bright. I put it on a then-new .223 and went to the range. @ 1- 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 - well, could be better, but it IS a new rifle. 200 yd groups were in the 3-4" range... WTF!
I sat there head-scratching & looking. It finally ocurred to me to check. Parallax was so bad at 200 (no parallax adjustment) that I could walk the crosshairs all the way around the center diamond on a Redfield target and never touch red! That's about 6" plus!
I called Bushnell. It took a five-person shuffle before I talked to anyone who even knew what parallax was. Finally was put through to a "tech" that knew what I was talking about. He stated all their non AO scopes were set parallax free at 100 yards. Also said that would "not cause a problem" further out. When I related my findings, he told me I had "over adjusted" the scope causing the problem. I explained the scope was mounted in Burris signatures with the inserts, and I only had to turn the turret dial less than 1/2 a turn (both dials). He then got really snotty and said I could send the scope in, but there wasn't anything wrong with it. He also had the gall to say to be sure and enclose payment for service and return shipping (almost $50 bucks). All this on a brand-new scope.
Well, my dealer sent this scope back to the distributor as defective merchandise. He traded/gave me a Nikon Buckmaster w/BDC. It is still on the rifle. The combo is easily capable of less than MOA - sometimes much less, if I am having a good day - all the way out to 400, which is as far as I am able to go on my home range. I have given Bushnell my last dime. They don't care about me, so I don't care about them. Others may do as they please. End of rant.

Funny you mention the cheaper buckmaster as I was using the 4.5-14x40 yesterday since I've got a few on my rifles and have never had a problem with them. For the money, they have been an excellent scope. As far as the elite 4200 and leupy question, carry on guys. I've been trying to decide on which one to buy too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was just out in the shop, holding various scopes up to the HS Precision .240. It's an SPL (sporter/light) and weighs 7# 9oz.
I think I'm going with a VX-3, 3.5-10x40 CDS. There's plenty tube length with the Talley bases and rings, and the scope is compact and light. Should make a nice, easy carrying combo with enough precision for a 4-500 yd. shot.

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here is a list to view a few good scopes to consider:

http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx

Off the list, I would likely choose the SWFA 3-9x42 SS. Very tank built scope with good internals with spot on adjustment for turret turning. Hard to beat that scope for the money. I would also consider the Weaver 2.5-10x50 Extreme scope. However, there are some Leupolds and Bushnells to consider. SWFA has been a great company to work with and their customer service is second to none.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 12savage, 63 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,684
Posts18,475,043
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.