Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Please post on your "knowledge" base of metallurgical properties of these. I'm also interested in how well they stood up to welding of lugs.
Hey EXPERT, let�s talk about this for a minute, and I�ll keep it short and simple.

You�re being very specific here about the welding of lugs. Which lugs are you talking about? And please, be specific.

(here�s where Bricktop disappears for another week to �work��and then slinks back to take shots at me when he thinks I�m not looking)

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW

I guess if he didn't build a custom on a RIA he would not be doing what he is in the business to do, make $$$.

He did in fact say that the steel was a little soft?

Would you want your $3K custom built on steel that was "a little soft"?

Not in this dog fight and don't want to be. I'll stick with my Colts, Kimbers, Springfields...and one old Norinco smile

g

There�s nothing to say what �a little soft� actually is in his book (the guy JWP talked to), but the fact that they will build one tells me that �a little soft� is still adequate.

If I�m building a gun that has fitted slide/frame rails, I want the hardest mating surface I can possibly get, because a rail job is a lot of expense for very little return, so the answer is an absolute NO. If I�m going to have a gun built with a rail job, I want a forged frame. For the difference in cost, why would you choose anything but the absolute best if you�re going to do THAT much work, spend that much money on it?

If the gun is not going to have a rail job done, then �a little soft� (within normal parameters) is just fine. If the gun is on the soft side of the normal hardness scale for a 1911 then everything will be A-OK for a couple of lifetimes. Keep in mind, GI 1911�s would be a touch UNDER the normal hardness range for a modern 1911 and you don�t hear of anyone complaining about the quality or durability of GI 1911�s.

But if you have even a cast frame that is in the normal range, and the RIA is most certainly within that range, then you really have nothing to worry about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As I said before, I want no part of this pissing contest as I see where both sides are coming from.

I know what I would buy, but hell, whatever floats your boat smile

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwp475

I called Clark as BrickTop suggested and they WILL make a custom on a RIA. He stated that it was not his first choice but it will work. I asked what was his first choice and he said Springfield, kimber, etc. and that he believed the RIA steel a a little soft, but would work

It sems that they don't classify them as total POS as claimed by BrickTop

I am greatly relieved to know my RIA is safe. I do not have to destroy it because it is too soft to shoot. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I did not ask and he did not say how he determined a little soft, but he did say that RIA would work and they would build on a RIA. He gave no hardness numbers and I didn't push for them

I have a springfield and a Colt fitted with a Less Baer slide in full size 1911's and One Caspian and a Kimber Ultra Carry 11, so I have no experience with RIA

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
laugh

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Thanks for calling. I will never send this gun off to be customized by someone else. I just wanted a carry gun for my retirement years. Heck, even if I won the lottery I would not send it off. Right around a thousand rounds through it now and the only failures were the fault of my reloads. Fixed the reloading and it has so far worked flawlessly.

Last night after reloading another hundred rounds I tried running a mag full by slowly working the slide and holding the gun upside down. Still no FTF. Don't know what more to ask of it. If I wanted something to put a round through an elk's ear at 500 yards I would buy a rifle. I want a carry handgun for protection and my understanding is that if I ever have to use it the chances are it will be a lot less than 25 yards. I feel confident it will do the job.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i'll get the popcorn cause we know bricktop will say you never called and becuase you posted it on the internet it is false.

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

I called Clark as BrickTop suggested and they WILL make a custom on a RIA. He stated that it was not his first choice but it will work. I asked what was his first choice and he said Springfield, kimber, etc. and that he believed the RIA steel a a little soft, but would work

It sems that they don't classify them as total POS as claimed by BrickTop

If Clark says it's okay, it's okay.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I check in on this thread for amusement. I have a LOT of 1911's.
A friend of mine and i were talking as he was wanting to get one that wasn't too expensive. I mentioned in fact the R.I.A's would probably fit the bill.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I check in on this thread for amusement. I have a LOT of 1911's.
A friend of mine and i were talking as he was wanting to get one that wasn't too expensive. I mentioned in fact the R.I.A's would probably fit the bill.

Your friend would be served well by the purchase of an RIA gun. Good Gun....GREAT PRICE....go for the tactical version....has a 200-300 bucks worth of custom goodies on it (and gunsmithing) for just 75 or so more dollars than the base gun....he will get nice Heine type sights, dovetail front sight, lightweight trigger, Ambi Saftey, fitted beavertail grip safety, slighly lowered and beveled ejection port and full length guide rod.....great package for little money

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kevin, those sandbags must have hit BT's head like a pile of bricks. Oh, wait...

Originally Posted by KevinGibson

If I�m building a gun that has fitted slide/frame rails, I want the hardest mating surface I can possibly get, because a rail job is a lot of expense for very little return, so the answer is an absolute NO. If I�m going to have a gun built with a rail job, I want a forged frame. For the difference in cost, why would you choose anything but the absolute best if you�re going to do THAT much work, spend that much money on it?

If the gun is not going to have a rail job done, then �a little soft� (within normal parameters) is just fine....

Perhaps this would be a good time to discuss just what exactly a rail job gets you (and what it doesn't).

Agreeing with others...This thread has been a hoot. It's also been informative, thanks to Kevin and James. I guess we can thank Brickhead for the motivation.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Perhaps this would be a good time to discuss just what exactly a rail job gets you (and what it doesn't).

Agreeing with others...This thread has been a hoot. It's also been informative, thanks to Kevin and James. I guess we can thank Brickhead for the motivation.

Rail Jobs....the least gain in accuracy for the most work and money....at the cost of reliability.....NOTE: we are talking mechanical accuracy here not the human part. Trigger jobs are done to help eliminate human based factors that can cause inaccuracy. Now on to the meat of this.....most of a 1911's mechanical accuracy comes from the barrel to barrel bushing fit, the barrel bushing to slide fit and the fit up in the barrel lugs to slide grooves. Accuracy is consistancy. Making the 1911 lock up consistantly every time in relationship to the sights (slide since the sights are on the slide) is where you get your accuracy. Next is a good Match barrel that is headspaced right and made to good specs, also good ammo. Also the right link is required to get the barrel locking lugs shoved up into the slide grooves as thight as it can and still have the gun unlock well. Those things right there is where 95% of the mechanical accuracy gains can be made. That said most good 1911's will out shoot 90+% of the shooters out there and do so right out of the box. In other words the gun is capable of better accuracy than most shooters can hold.

As for the Rail Job part of it....that is done to mainly take the "wobble" out of the frame slide fit. That fit can only give you at the most a few % points of gain in mechanical accuracy. Rail jobs are both expensive and time consuming. They also make the gun very fussy about any amount of dirt or shooting residue they can tolerate. Since your shrinking the tolerances of the slide and frame any dirt or residue can bring the functioning to a halt much more quickly. IN MY OPINION...doing a rail job on a defense gun is a fools errand...you gain virutally nothing and reduce reliability and reliablity is paramount in a carry gun. Anything you do to a carry gun that reduces accuracy is flat out CRAZY.

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
Anything you do to a carry gun that reduces accuracy reliability is flat out CRAZY.

Made a correction for you my friend; I think this is what you meant to say.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think a gun with a rail job isn�t quite as fussy as James makes it out to be, but he�s giving you the right drift. If you have a very tight match gun that�s built right, it can still be very reliable due to the fact that everything is constantly returning to precisely the same position during operation. So in one sense it can help the function of a gun that is kept very clean and well lubricated. But when hoards of foreign debris invades your gun, that�s when the trouble starts. One school of thought is that tighter tolerances make it much harder for dirt to get in; this is most certainly true. But once it gets in, you have removed all the room for the gun to naturally work the dirt and debris out.

A gun with a PROPER rail job can be 100% reliable if kept clean and well oiled, and will resist light to moderate amounts of foreign debris. You can have a carry gun with a rail job if you're careful to clean it every so often even if you haven't shot it. Still, I have a STRONG preference for a gun WITHOUT a rail job for damn near everything, including competition (unless I'm shooting bullseye).

Accuracy wise, James again has it absolutely right. If you�re a match shooter at the highest levels of IDPA or IPSC, you pretty much need a gun with a rail job. If you are a bullseye shooter, you have to have a gun with a rail job just to be competitive. EVERYONE ELSE would be best off without it.

To do a rail job on a pre-existing gun you have to peen the slide rails on the frame. This is done by inserting a piece of tool steel into the rail to limit lowering (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=842/Product/1911_AUTO_SLIDE_FITTING_BARS ), and then beat the crap out of your slide rails. I typically will lower the 4 corners as it�s really not necessary to lower the entire surface of the rail unless the rails are WAY off. So, when you insert those bars, and pound on the slide rail, you�re lowering, and peening the rail wider. Next, you put the slide into a vice and give it some very subtle squeezes. It can be done without a special tool, but if you have this (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9861/Product/SLIDE_RAIL_COMPOUND_CLAMP ).

When you�re done, the slide won�t even go onto the frame. So you lightly dress down the rail with a file just enough to force the slide on with a rawhide mallet. Next add some valve grinding compound (Jay and I prefer water soluable Permatex) , and using your mallet, you pound the slide back and forth until you have lapped the two surfaces enough to where the slide will move freely back and forth the full travel distance. To do this takes a good deal of time, and your frame will need to be re-finished. So you can imagine, this is a costly modification to your Roscoe, for AT BEST, a 10% improvement in accuracy. Most guns today have rather tight rails from the factory, so typically on newer 1911�s the improvement is more like 5%, like Jay (James � sorry, getting tired of calling him James) said.

I�ve built a LOT of 1911�s and Hi Power�s over the years, and I�ve only done ONE rail job for myself. Jay knows how well I shoot (and he can give me a GOOD run for my money); I typically practice with my handguns at 150 yards. Even at that, I don�t feel I need a gun with a rail job; I�d rather have the reliability.

NOTE: When Kimber started making 1911�s one of the most noticeable differences between Kimber and other makers (including Colt�s), was the tightness of the rails on a box stock Kimber. I really like how a Kimber slide and frame fit, because they�re tight enough to keep the gun VERY accurate, yet there�s enough play that only severe fouling will ever be an issue. They just struck a good balance, and when I build a carry gun, that�s the level of slide/frame fit I try to get.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JamesDunn
Anything you do to a carry gun that reduces accuracy reliability is flat out CRAZY.

Made a correction for you my friend; I think this is what you meant to say.

OOPS...sorry folks.....I am flawed....just ask both of my ex wifes

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think a gun with a rail job isn�t quite as fussy as James makes it out to be, but he�s giving you the right drift. If you have a very tight match gun that�s built right, it can still be very reliable due to the fact that everything is constantly returning to precisely the same position during operation. So in one sense it can help the function of a gun that is kept very clean and well lubricated. But when hoards of foreign debris invades your gun, that�s when the trouble starts. One school of thought is that tighter tolerances make it much harder for dirt to get in; this is most certainly true. But once it gets in, you have removed all the room for the gun to naturally work the dirt and debris out.

A gun with a PROPER rail job can be 100% reliable if kept clean and well oiled, and will resist light to moderate amounts of foreign debris. You can have a carry gun with a rail job if you're careful to clean it every so often even if you haven't shot it. Still, I have a STRONG preference for a gun WITHOUT a rail job for damn near everything, including competition (unless I'm shooting bullseye).

Accuracy wise, James again has it absolutely right. If you�re a match shooter at the highest levels of IDPA or IPSC, you pretty much need a gun with a rail job. If you are a bullseye shooter, you have to have a gun with a rail job just to be competitive. EVERYONE ELSE would be best off without it.

To do a rail job on a pre-existing gun you have to peen the slide rails on the frame. This is done by inserting a piece of tool steel into the rail to limit lowering (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=842/Product/1911_AUTO_SLIDE_FITTING_BARS ), and then beat the crap out of your slide rails. I typically will lower the 4 corners as it�s really not necessary to lower the entire surface of the rail unless the rails are WAY off. So, when you insert those bars, and pound on the slide rail, you�re lowering, and peening the rail wider. Next, you put the slide into a vice and give it some very subtle squeezes. It can be done without a special tool, but if you have this (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9861/Product/SLIDE_RAIL_COMPOUND_CLAMP ).

When you�re done, the slide won�t even go onto the frame. So you lightly dress down the rail with a file just enough to force the slide on with a rawhide mallet. Next add some valve grinding compound (Jay and I prefer water soluable Permatex) , and using your mallet, you pound the slide back and forth until you have lapped the two surfaces enough to where the slide will move freely back and forth the full travel distance. To do this takes a good deal of time, and your frame will need to be re-finished. So you can imagine, this is a costly modification to your Roscoe, for AT BEST, a 10% improvement in accuracy. Most guns today have rather tight rails from the factory, so typically on newer 1911�s the improvement is more like 5%, like Jay (James � sorry, getting tired of calling him James) said.

I�ve built a LOT of 1911�s and Hi Power�s over the years, and I�ve only done ONE rail job for myself. Jay knows how well I shoot (and he can give me a GOOD run for my money); I typically practice with my handguns at 150 yards. Even at that, I don�t feel I need a gun with a rail job; I�d rather have the reliability.

NOTE: When Kimber started making 1911�s one of the most noticeable differences between Kimber and other makers (including Colt�s), was the tightness of the rails on a box stock Kimber. I really like how a Kimber slide and frame fit, because they�re tight enough to keep the gun VERY accurate, yet there�s enough play that only severe fouling will ever be an issue. They just struck a good balance, and when I build a carry gun, that�s the level of slide/frame fit I try to get.

Kevin is right...I am just a little paranoid...I am a former Marine and while serving in Beirut a mud covered (submerged in mud actually just seconds prior) 1911 saved my young rear end. As I pulled it up I was praying that I had more than just 1 shot coming. The gun feed and functioned as JMB designed, while both dispatching the bad guy and saving my life. Nice loose tolerances and a fantastic design allowed function in some of the worse conditions you could have...so since that time I have always been shy about rail jobs because I already knew first hand that reliable funtion comes first, mechanical accuracy 2nd....but that is just my perspective...LOL....shoot safe

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you James and Kevin. You said it much better than I could, and with the authority I lack as a non-gunsmith. With all this talk about rail jobs, I thought it a good idea to clear that up for anyone reading this thread and trying to learn.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Thank you James and Kevin. You said it much better than I could, and with the authority I lack as a non-gunsmith. With all this talk about rail jobs, I thought it a good idea to clear that up for anyone reading this thread and trying to learn.

The pleasure is all mine.....what good is knowledge if it is not shared....and I just chatting about guns...LOL

James Dunn

[email protected]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow, what an interesting and informative read. And to think I was just searching Norinco. So is this Bricktop dude really Big Stick?

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,238
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.