Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
We have had numerous threads on being in shape and everyone claims they are, yet I here people whining about 16 or maybe 32 ounces in rifle weight....

A new Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade weighs in naked at 8 lbs 4 ounces..Is that to heavy to hunt with for you?

What gives?

Jayco

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Being in shape, AND carrying a light rifle.

Just try to keep up...

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Apparently folks consider someone a 'wuss' for taking 2 pounds of their rifle or say silly [bleep] like loose 5 pounds from your waist. Tell you what, add 5 pounds to your boots and let me know how that plays out.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Just try to keep up...

Exactly.....Go hunt sheep for 10 days with a 10 or 11 pound rifle. After a couple days up and down the mountain you'll feel like your packing a ball and chain.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Apparently folks consider someone a 'wuss' for taking 2 pounds of their rifle or say silly [bleep] like loose 5 pounds from your waist. Tell you what, add 5 pounds to your boots and let me know how that plays out.

I ran around the hills for 40 years with corked boots,not to mention the saw/axe and wedges attached to my belt....Don't talk to me about 2 fricken pounds and being in shape.

Your either are or your not,in shape...Rifle weight should not even be in the scenario.

Jayco

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, it's not one hike that takes its toll, but day after day.

And I don't just eliminate as much weight as possible on the rifle and myself, but on everything else as well. Hunted grizzly for almost two weeks in Alaska a couple of years ago and by the even though most of the day is spent glassing, hiking tundra and "hills" and crossing rivers with swamp on each side every day made me very glad for the 7-1/2 pound rifle I carried.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep, it's not one hike that takes its toll, but day after day.

Then your not in shape,where you need to be.It isn't all about cardio and if you think it is,your wrong.It's all about being in enough shape that 16 ounces of rifle weight is not a hunt breaker!!!!!!!!

Jayco

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
At the end of the day, all rifles feel heavy.

Being patient with a decent pair of binoculars can take miles off the wear and tear to your body too.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logcutter

Your either are or your not,in shape...Rifle weight should not even be in the scenario.

Id like to think im in shape. Doc says im fine. I weigh a buck sixty yet im alot stronger than most guys around me twice my size. My hunting style is tree stands. Most of my stands are back in 1.5-2.5 miles. Most ridges only run 2200ft. I still have to take breaks goin in.

Ive never been out west, but get me out of my element and you'd be an idiot to think I should be able to keep up with the locals out west.

Doesnt matter how strong, how much stamina one has. Everyone can benefit from lighter weight equipment.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I guess I don't understand the concept of carrying heavier gear around in the mountains than you have to.

In shape or not, that's just stupid.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Just try to keep up...

Exactly.....Go hunt sheep for 10 days with a 10 or 11 pound rifle. After a couple days up and down the mountain you'll feel like your packing a ball and chain.

This, is it exactly.

Logcutter, sir, your argument is not logical. If you are in good shape and have two lbs less in rifle weight, it's known as win-win. grin

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Logcutter, sir, your argument is not logical. If you are in good shape and have two lbs less in rifle weight, it's known as win-win. grin

+1. Look at any endurance sport and you will see a constant trend toward lighter equipment. Is it because those athletes are "out of shape?" Of course not. It's because physical fitness is only one part of the equation and if technology can provide an edge by reducing equipment weight, then true competitors will take that edge.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
I guess I don't understand the concept of carrying heavier gear around in the mountains than you have to.

In shape or not, that's just stupid.

bingo. if you can get the lighter gear why not. if you cant than thats fine too. when i hike 10 miles in the mountains i like to be as light as possible, why wouldnt you if you can?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is this macho attitude about carrying a gun? My gun is heavier than yours, therefore I am tougher than you are. The measure of a hunter is not how much gun weight you can carry, it is what you can do with the gun.

Last edited by roundoak; 08/07/11.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
grin

I guess then,most of you are not in shape as you brag!!!!!If 16 ounces of rifle weight is a problem,your just not in shape where you need be.

Then some bitch about recoil of the real Elk calibers..Go figure...

There is know way in hell your in shape if 16 ounces of rifle weight is a hunt breaker,period.com....

Jayco

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
A friend made a statement about my 11 lb. double rifle, he said I wouldnt carry that damn thing for it, I stated You have added at least 50 lbs. to Your gut and about 75 to your ass since school and you seem to carry that just fine grin
He didnt laughsmile

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is this where you challenge everyone to a fistfight?....Wait, you have to ask how old we are first....or how many elk we've killed.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I will bet atleast 75% of the whiners about rifle weight,have never been in the military where they make men out of boys.Benning sure changed my way of life at 17. grin

I mean were not talking tons of weight,just 16 ounces and it breaks a hunt to some!!!!Sad....

Yet your in shape?

Do you think weight or boot choice matters to these guys that are in shape?

[Linked Image]

Jayco

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
my bow weighs less then all your rifles. but ya gotta get real close, and for that you need to be in a even better shape out here. no sittin across a canyon popin off shots, you gotta cross that canyon. figured i stir the pot a little more

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think the only people who don't think lighter is a little better have never hunted the mountains at higher elevations. ...or they hunt next to the road or from a truck. I just ran a half marathon, still run 5-7 miles most work days and I want the lightest rifle I can shoot well. It's just not comfortable to haul a heavy rifle around. Your fitness WILL limit your hunting after a few days if you're still looking for the elk in the vastness of the Rockies.

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (06hunter59, 673, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 29aholic, 37 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,854
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.