Hop To
Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by logcutter
A new Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade weighs in naked at 8 lbs 4 ounces..Is that to heavy to hunt with for you?

Jayco

Too heavy, no. But now that I have a 6lb rifle I can tell you the 8+ lb rifles will be in the safe when hunting in the mtns.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
That's cool if it works for you,but I don't remember you being one of the kool kids whining either....

My post was about those saying how in shape they are doing cardio/weights/bikes and such then complain about rifle weight...More bragging than fact,it seems as usual...

Jayco

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Is there a downside to, all else being equal, carrying less weight than needed? I've never carried any rifle and thought to myself "You know, it'd be nice to have a couple more pounds added to this thing while I climb this hill.".

Hey, I've got a MK-V .340 I rather dote on so weight and recoil aren't things I've wussed out about. Having said that a nice and light little .308 has gained more and more favor of late as it's very accurate, kicks less and with modern bullets the "lesser" calibers aren't near as less as they used to be. So, other than it's what you've got and it works for you (which is fine of course) WHY WOULD you carry more rifle than you had to? Besides, shape is one thing and "shape for your age" is another. I notice things being heavier now I wouldn't have 20yrs ago. Doesn't mean I can't live with it, but yeah, I notice.

I like my ladies lighter too. They all have the same parts but if I'm making a choice I know what my preference is.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
logcutter, this will be the first time I bragged about being in shape on this forum. Picture this.

You and I are hunting public land swarming with hunters and we are unknown to each other. A mulie buck emerges that offers you and I safe shot at 150 yards out, we pull the trigger simultaneously. Both carrying 10 lbs plus rifles, I can beat you in a foot race to tag that deer. grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Maybe grin

Hunting doesn't matter to me like it used to,it might to my kids chasing down the deer or Elk.

Anyway...I'll help you get it out and you owe me a Beer...

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Black bear I killed this spring with my 20+ pound .338 Lapua Magnum. I had hiked in this drainage the afternoon before with a friend and we had seen three different bears. I had my lightweight .308 along that day. One of the three was a shooter, but I did'nt feel right about taking the cross canyon shot with the way the wind was swirling. On the way home, I decided to pack in the big rifle the next day and it paid off.

[Linked Image]

Wyoming, spring 2010. This bear I shot with my 7.5 pound .308 from 530 meters from a rock solid prone rest across a steep, snow filled canyon. There was zero wind and the bullet hit exactly where the crosshair was held. And I was damn glad I was packing that rifle that day.......It was a 12 mile round trip getting him out.

[Linked Image]

We crossed here to retrieve the bear. My point is, excercise the ability to be diverse.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is there a troll on this thread

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been called worse.......

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't get out much..Thanks for the pictures.

Edited..I took down the pictures before Rancho Loco stole more of them to post at his discretion.

I hope you saw them....

Jayco

Last edited by logcutter; 08/07/11. Reason: Rancho Loco
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Yep, thats me up in the top of a Fir tree I just topped....

[Linked Image]

Putting in a Humboldt.....

Let me ask you this, If they made a saw that weighed 18 pounds that did everything a 20 pound one do would you run it instead?

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter

Do you think weight or boot choice matters to these guys that are in shape?

[Linked Image]

Jayco

I don't think GI Joe dolls are really germane to the discussion.. Of course, I'm sure you think otherwise. smirk

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Let me ask you this, If they made a saw that weighed 18 pounds that did everything a 20 pound one do would you run it instead?

They don't..They make Huskies then Stihls and the rest.As you must know.....

Reliability, being miles away from the saw shop is number 1 even with two saws.....

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Loco the Elk hunter....Howdy pard..How many Elk you shot....How many years have you Elk hunted??????

Funny "little" man...

Jayco grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those dolls belong to you?

Sorry.. I didn't mean to hurt your little feelers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll rephrase then, Hypothetically...If they made a saw that weighed 18 pounds that did everything a 20 pound one would do would you run it instead?

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I can't see cutting a few pounds from your gear being a bad thing no matter what shape your in. I wouldn't want to make my rifle so lite that I can't shoot it well. I was in the military but I am no longer 20 something. I climb Mt Katahdin (5'268) twice a year, Mt Washington (6,288) about 4 times a year, and Mt Monadnock (3,165) about 6 to 8 times a year. I may not climb as fast as some but you won't catch me moaning, groaning, whinning, or crying. I know my strenghts and weakness and know how to work with them to get the job done.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Loco

You make my skin crawl..How do you like someone taking your family pictures and posting at will without your okay?

[Linked Image]

I want you dude......Give up my pictures of my family...

Jayco

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I'll rephrase then, Hypothetically...If they made a saw that weighed 18 pounds that did everything a 20 pound one would do would you run it instead?

Sorry..Loco drives me through the roof....

In answer to your question..If that 18 pound saw had parts/service/reputation and availability of the name brands.....

YES!!!!

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gawd, I love that picture.

Poor little boy. It really has you in a twist that someone is making fun of your favorite dolls..

Page 2 of 28 1 2 3 4 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (79S, 6mmbrfan, 35, 35WhelenNut, 673, 264mag, 16 invisible), 962 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.