-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe if....you did more push ups then you could make it to the kool kids crowd...grin

Dober

(hit 3 X cricks over the weekend)

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But you now own an Icon .243, which is the same weight as a real elk rifle if it makes you feel better.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Where is Sigmund Freud when you need him???? cry

( gonna go hit 2 X creeks in the next couple days....)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by exbiologist
But you now own an Icon .243, which is the same weight as a real elk rifle if it makes you feel better.

True dat! I feel MUCH better now! laugh

Pffffffft! to all the Icon "haters".... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually will be up in your neighborhood(my ole college stomping grounds) next month for my brother's wedding in Jellystone. Gonna do some fishin with a fisheries biologist buddy while I'm at it too.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't know how much my rifles weigh..don't really care. It's not as if I'm going to leave it at home if it's more than 8 lbs.

I do know that my .25-06 weighs a whole lot more than my 7x57, so if I'm gonna be doing a lot of walking, I'd probably grab the 7. Not a matter of in shape, or obsession with light weight, It's what I have and what suits the particular hunting situation.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
theres little doubt that a shorter and lighter rifles easier to carry, but you don,t normally use a rifle just for its ease of transport! at least in my case I put a good deal of thought into what it can do in as far as power and accuracy once its actually used!
hell! my 3.7 lb 22LR CRICKET rifle I bought to teach my kids to shoot is easier to carry than my 9.5 lb 340wby , or a 9 lb 375 H&H with its scope and bi-pod , but once you actually get close enough to an elk in a location where you can take a shot the difference in effectiveness of that 22LR cricket PALES in comparison to the 340wby,or 375 H&H so the 340 wby or 375 H&H gets taken when I hunt ELK almost every time!
yeah! Im well aware that a 270 win or a 30/06 will kill any elk, but I trust my 340wby and 375H&H far more when hunting

Last edited by 340mag; 08/08/11.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by exbiologist
I don't always hunt elk, but when I do, I carry a heavy rifle

TFF "stay thirsty my friends" laugh

That's nothing. When I'm in Rome, the Romans do as I do. And my mom has a tattoo on her arm, it says "Son."

All this talk about "the cool kids" (how many times have you heard that) makes me think that somebody was decidedly uncool in school.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 340mag
hell! my 3.7 lb 22LR CRICKET rifle I bought to teach my kids to shoot is easier to carry than my 9.5 lb 340wby , or a 9 lb 375 H&H with its scope and bi-pod , but once you actually get close enough to an elk in a location where you can take a shot the difference in effectiveness of that 22LR cricket PALES in comparison to the 340wby,or 375 H&H so the 340 wby or 375 H&H gets taken when I hunt ELK almost every time!

There are plenty of 6.5-7.5 lb. rifles that'll kill an elk at distances farther than most can hit with.

Of course, they're not 340's , 375's, or 22LRs for that matter.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What did any poor elk do to deserve getting shot with a 375? A 270 is adequate for elk...

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Heaviest rifle I carried was 13 lbs with a full load. A Reproduction Win 1886 in 45-70 made by Browning. Killed two elk with it. I was in my 40's and decied I BTDT.
My Mod 70, .06 is right about 8 lbs now

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah...I been busy getting wood in but you can check out where I spent most of today...

[Linked Image]

Had lunch here and Steripened some cool water.Forgot the push-ups though..You can click on the picture and get the video...No offense,it sounds better than.....

Click on image!
[Linked Image]

Jayco

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rifles and physical condition are only an issue if they won't/don't let you get the job done. There are plenty of other factors that can make a hunt unsuccessful besides weight and caliber of rifle and physical condition.

I understand the point Jayco was trying to make, but I'm not sure the premise was presented as well as it might have been.

Jayco,
Good pics! Wish I was there instead of here! wink

Last edited by DELGUE; 08/08/11.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, he I suspect it came across exactly how he planned it. Look at his signature line. He likes questioning the manhood of others if they can't or won't do what he does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. Can't see it either when ones goal it to get 400lbs of elk off a mountain.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/08/11.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by logcutter

Do you think weight or boot choice matters to these guys that are in shape?

[Linked Image]

Jayco

I know guys in that line of work now and who have been in that line of work in the past. Boot choice and weight is something they consider carefully because they have so much gear to carry. They like anything that will help them move faster, including light weight boots. So yes, it does matter to those guys.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Before I started PT with the recruiters I could barely walk a mile with my pack and rifle.

But after a few months I can run with my pack on and still get a six minute mile. Am I in great shape? No, most of my friends can do a even faster mile.

You are a lying SOB.

What evidence do you have that he can't do it? The man's training to go into the Marine Corps. Chances are, he wants to succeed. A mile in the 6's ain't that unreasonable. ME, no way I could do it...I'm closer to a 10 minute mile, no gear. But I'm 44 and been in the Air Force 25 years. I know guys about my age who can do their 1 1/2 miles in the 10s, so I don't think Winnie's claim is far fetched at all.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Days of me running a 6 min. mile was about 25 years ago.I realy don't care if you run a 4 min. mile kudos to you.I really don't see many guys running in the elk woods anyway,it's much better to stalk em than run them down.Maybe if I was running after them I would want a light little rifle,heck mabey a nice balsa spear would be better.
BBJ

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by logcutter

Do you think weight or boot choice matters to these guys that are in shape?

[Linked Image]

Jayco

I know guys in that line of work now and who have been in that line of work in the past. Boot choice and weight is something they consider carefully because they have so much gear to carry. They like anything that will help them move faster, including light weight boots. So yes, it does matter to those guys.

Those are DOLLS look at the arm on the "guy" on the right

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There sure is a lot of difference hunting dry, high-altitude, steep and uneven topography.
Pack in say 3 liters - 3/4th of a gallon of water. Add a good lunch, bone-saw , good knife, para-cord, little rope, compass, gps, radio, extra layers of clothes and enough to eat, yes, I mentioned something to eat twice.
10 rounds of ammo enough? 8X binos and a spotting scope, or the 10X's?
Having some sort of tarp can make a hunt more comfortable if it starts to snow. Add some tp and a couple ways to build a fire, next thing you know your toting 25 ~ 30# of pure fun!

Not a loggers here, I shoe horses, some near the tree line 10,000 feet, I run chainsaw for a hobbies.

It does seem that most loggers will muf-mod and port a smaller saw, to get a larger saws performance, mainly to conserve weight. Say a modified MS 440/460 to do the work of a 660 .
Dropping a tree on a road for firewood, I stihl like my 361 over my 660 .
Normally I never cut a tree for a helicopter, or even one that I can't see the truck. But I have shot elk where the first words out my mouth is "oh-puck!" or something like that.

Tell me a way I could take a pound off my rifle I think ill listen?

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Page 5 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (Akhutr, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,087
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.