Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 28 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 27 28
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by logcutter
You want to knock my Grandma..Bring it in person..What a looser to pic on family..

How many Smoke Pole..You refuse to answer and why???

Jayco

I wasn't knockin' your grandma, I was knockin' you. Your grandma appears to have been a prime example of the kind of people that once made this country great.

Refuse to answer what? I don't hunt elk with centerfires and you know that, so why do you keep asking? Are you dense?

I've hunted elk in the late season with a centerfire once or twice.

Now answer my question.

Are you saying that only an elk hunter who uses centerfires is qualified to comment on carrying 8.5 lb. rifles vs. 7 lb. rifles in the mountains?

What do you base that on? What about a sheep hunter or deer hunter?

I used to carry a wood-stocked Hawken on elk hunts, that thing probably weighs 10+ lbs., never weighed it. I switched to a 7-lb. T/C in-line.

Does that qualify me, or is there something magical about a centerfire that makes it different to tote in the mountains?

Last edited by smokepole; 08/10/11.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Would someone with a special education background please dumb my comments down for him?

Kawi! Kaaaaaaa-wiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!

We need your help!

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SOB..Here is another idiot that has shot 1 fricken Elk in his lifetime and thinks he has the skills to post on an Elk Hunting forum...

Loco...Tell us your Elk hunting skills.........Ever been in the armed forces..I would bet a case of Beer you have not,but I could be wrong!!!!

Jayco

I've never shot an Elk and I post here. crazy

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The more experienced the elk hunter, the more lightweight gear he has.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
unless your heavy old rifle has given you three hernias, then it makes you more of a man.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/10/11.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Next he is going to be proud of hunting in 10lb Sorels and jeans.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
grin

I guess then,most of you are not in shape as you brag!!!!!If 16 ounces of rifle weight is a problem,your just not in shape where you need be.

Then some bitch about recoil of the real Elk calibers..Go figure...

There is know way in hell your in shape if 16 ounces of rifle weight is a hunt breaker,period.com....

Jayco
You are a jackass and most likely a troll, you sound a lot like Swampass 700 with your hardass bullschit talk. Have you killed a dragon with your 20lb. rifle also and packed it out out of the mountains all by yourself? Stupid prick.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nailed it...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
You are a jackass and most likely a troll, you sound a lot like Swampass 700 with your hardass bullschit talk. Have you killed a dragon with your 20lb. rifle also and packed it out out of the mountains all by yourself? Stupid prick

My left nut contains more gray matter than what you possess in your whole [bleep]' head XXXXXX. You are the dumbest, most ignorant, blind, retarded, inbred, white trash, moronic a$$hole I've come across on a website in a long time. Btw, I love M700s and many other rifles, but the way you talk about them makes me want beat you in your misshapen, waterhead skull with one you [bleep] dult.

You sound pretty grown up and intelligent and you call others trolls....

Jayco

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It's time for this thread to die the natural death it deserved at the end of the first page...

Last edited by DELGUE; 08/10/11.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guess I missed the part where there is a difference between a logger/feller taking a smaller chainsaw for the job. Modify that saw (Say some port and muffler work to an MS-440/460 to try and do the work of an MS-660) , to save weight, mind you.

And it is not alright to mention a lighter elk rifle?

Are loggers/fellers not as strong as hunters?

Just saying.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
[quote=K_Salonek]
Are loggers/fellers not as strong as hunters?

Just saying. [/quot

They certainly appear to be a whole lot dumber...

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This is fore once a good question. NO never have been most like never will be. I will be there with a rifle. I don't weary about weight.If a person let's people that do move them to you.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Howdy Jayco - In my mid 50's, I'm sure not as fit as I was when younger, but I still do okay in the hills. Not much of an elk hunter either I guess, having taken only one. Tried for a few others over the years. Clearly remember one decent bull just plain out-walking me here in the Cascades. I was in pretty doggone good shape back then too, but he apparently decided to leave me far behind in that steep country.

My hunting rifles are pretty much just standard weight. Don't have any real lightweight rifles, do have a couple of heavier rifles that are less than fun while hiking miles and miles of steep country. Carried one of those heavy rifles, a laminated stock Model 70, quite a few miles last year during mule deer season. Backpacked in with that same rifle on a four-day solo mule deer hunt a few years ago too. I'd have preferred a lighter rifle, no doubt. I put up with the weight because that particular Model 70 is so doggone accurate and I was anticipating a longish range shot. If I get out for elk this year, I'll likely be packing a roughly 8-9 lb rifle again, probably the old .30-06 M1917. Carried the .375 Number One for the heck of it last year, no luck on elk, but I did take a decent bear with it. I'd guess it weighs about 9 pounds, scoped.

The most experienced elk hunter I know personally is a tough & smart ol' fellow, must be mid/late 60's by now. Usually he hunts with a .358 Win/Browning BLR although he's got a .300 Win mag Model 70 for longer range cross-canyon type shots and has taken elk with his .454 Freedom Arms revolver as well. Typically he gets into his elk country via horseback, then does his hunting afoot.

Regards, Guy

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Howdy Guy

My post was about, are you really in shape?I know you are..But do you remember the Military and there fitness/punishment means?I do and will never forget because it tackles the carrying a rifle all day long and remember the old M-1 weighing in at 9.5 lbs as standard issue for everyone...

I remember having to hold the weapon horizontal (strait out from the body) until you can't any more and doing calisthenics with weapon in hand and even a few laps running around the rest of the squad with the weapon above my head as punishment besides the 10 zillion push ups.

My point, not well put,it seems on this thread, is that we rarely here of those old ways of getting used to carrying a weapon more hours a day than most of us want.Cardio is great as well as lifting weights but neither suffices for rifle and weight....

Like with weights..Put an 8 pound rifle horizontal daily and it soon becomes a light weight and then 9 pounds also becomes light after time.I just never here that in these in shape threads and when some whine about what boils down to 16 ounces in rifle weight and they claim there in shape,yes it bothers me becaause there not.

What would your DI said if someone said this weapon is just to heavy,sir. grin grin..

To many people cut rifle weight first then carry a pack loaded with way to many things not absolutely needed on an Elk hunt.I never have carried a pack of any kind,except the miltary,out in the woods.If I can't get it on my belt or in my pockets,I don't need it..But thats just my way not worrying about rifle weight but rifle used.

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fitness expert, forum moderator, and doll collector.

What a hero.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
'Morning Jayco - yes, I remember those days in the infantry. Looking back, I have to marvel at what those young fellows accomplished. And no, I can't do that kind of hiking & running and carrying anymore. Doggone it.

About the backpack - well yes, I use one most of the time when I hunt. Somewhere to put lunch/snacks and water. Somewhere to stash an extra layer of clothing when it's not needed. Since I'm mostly a mule deer hunter, it's been a good way to carry boned out meat or deer quarters as well. Sometimes a larger pack, usually a smaller one, just big enough to hold whatever I'll need for a day in the hills.

Best of luck to you this season Jayco!

Regards, Guy

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah..I sure can't do that stuff like I used to either.But the principal is still there, regardless of age.Use it or lose it. grin

As for the backpack,I choose not to because it hampers me for quick shots on the move,it also makes it more noisy going through the brush and seems to bind me when I want to drop to my knee for a quick shot. We all have our little quirks we prefer hunting from learning and seeing first hand,and that's one of mine.

I carry lunch attached to my belt or tucked into my shirt along with rope/saw or axe/knife and water all on my belt,then my pockets,top and bottom, with the rest of my stuff I choose to take with nothing binding me in any way for that quick shot.

Everyone has there learning experiences and when one looks back over all those years,I still find some important tips learned in the Military that help in hunting even though I wear only tennis shoes,when weather permits.Something I learned walking into my saw strips, carrying my gear.Things happen out there that a guy has to move as quickly as possible and being light on your feet,sure has saved my azz a time or three.

Best of luck to you and your son this year also.Them kids sure come in handy packing out stuff.My sons say sit down old man and let me do it although it never happens that way. grin

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quickest shots will be with the lightest rifle. Unless you use a 660 for limbing trees?

It's easy to see why some are believing there was a personal agenda with this thread.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We have had numerous threads on being in shape and everyone claims they are, yet I here people whining about 16 or maybe 32 ounces in rifle weight....

A new Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade weighs in naked at 8 lbs 4 ounces..Is that to heavy to hunt with for you?

What gives?

Jayco

In my case at age 70 and in decent(but still 70) shape, I look for lighter rifles. To the 8 lbs. 4 oz. rifle add mounts, rings, scope, ammo and sling and, you are looking at almost 10 pounds.

If you stand hunt, not so bad; but if you walk and climb mountains, it will wear you.

Page 9 of 28 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 801 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.