Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Glad I had my backpack along for this hunt I did in the Ragged Range in the NWT. The nearest road was 250 miles from where this picture was taken. The nearest horse trail...at least 100 miles.

I figure someday I'll a get a horse and a few mules to hunt with.....when I get too old to hunt the way I hunt now. Probably about 20 years from now. I'll be 54 this fall......grin! Nothing against horseback hunters, as I've done my fair share of it, but right now I still enjoy the personal challenge of pushing myself phisically when I hunt.

[Linked Image]

Spent many a night out in the bush chasing these around back in the day....NEVER left the outfit without my pack on my back.

[Linked Image]

NWT....looking towards the South Nahanni River...

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logcutter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Make no doubt it, there was a personal agenda...

Back to doing push ups now... tired

Dober

Hey Mark..I have been showing my credentials for the outdoors,wheres yours to question me or my intentions?

Jayco

I've seen a pic of you with fish, and a couple of logging ones, now how you show some of elk from days of old as well from days of today. And deer, bruins, lopes etc would be good as well..come on lets keep this thread going with a bunch of pics

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love that cat pic Pat!

Lets see now, from a couple of guys from Spudsville (Idaho), no need for day pack and scouting is pissing up a rope...u betcha... wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Glad I had a pack this day to assist with elk hauling

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Six miles in I walked for this one. I got back to the pickup at 2 AM....glad I had my pack along as I got everything out in one load. It would have sucked walking back in there the next day. In fact the next day I was one an airplane headed to Alaska for another black bear hunt. Thats right, a DIY backpack hunt.

Hunt without a pack on my back?....Not this boy.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pat, you look mean in that pic!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had walked over 1,000 miles of the Appalachian Trail by the time I was 16 years old... anyone that thinks the weight of materials you carry on your back doesn't mean anything just hasn't done that much.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pretty sure I've walked about 4500 miles down on the riverbottom since I was born. Don't need no damn pack, house is never more than 2 miles away!

grin

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/11/11. Reason: upped the mileage
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Brad, you've probably been here.....ball breaker climb above Lightning Lake on the way to Challis Peak in the AB. I was in there sheep hunting with a bud. It was the year Yellowstone Park burned up(1988)....Equinox storm kicked our azz for three days. You couldnt see more that 100 feet. Walking out of there on loose tallus covered with 18" of snow was one of the most demanding decents I've ever done. We were lucky to get out of there unscathed..

[Linked Image]

Camp at the base of Challis Peak before the storm hit..

Dammit, I'm getting fired up for fall!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Powder Horn

We have a winner....lot of luck in those old hats from the Horn

Dober

Bought my Filson Double Mackinaw there. I quit wearing it for hunting though cuz it's too heavy. Your pencil-barreled 700 that I put in an EDGE is nirvana. I'll collect my tall boy when we get 'round to doin' lunch.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Glad I had a pack this day to assist with elk hauling

Dober

Reading glasses in the vest pocket??......laffin! For punchin tags and such?

Last edited by scenarshooter; 08/11/11.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
scenar- you have any deer left up there to take summer pics of this year?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cant even describe how poor it is up here. I'm out almost everyday, early and in good game country and I havent seen 50 or 60 deer total all summer. Some days, I wont even see one deer or antelope.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far to the east before numbers get "better?" Nelson told me there's still plenty up his way, but like I told him, one hay burner's plenty for him. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheridan County and Eastern Roosevelt is better that Valley County here, but still way down from last year. Most of these does(mule deer and whitetail) are barren. Antelope does are almost totally fawnless this summer. It's the worst I've seen since the winter of '77,'78.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pat,

I PM'd you a few months ago about the year or two about another severe winter, back in the mid-'70's, that I experienced when living in Poplar. The snow wasn't as deep, but it was deep enough, and the cold might have been been even worse.

Same deal: Very few deer anywhere for a couple of years, even on the riverbottoms--though there were more there than out on the prairie. It took a LOT of hunting just to get a deer or two of any kind, and there were many days without seeing one.

Nature is always a far crueler "harvester" than most hunters can imagine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, you've got that right. Luckily, it was mostly more severe up here in the NE corner. There are good numbers of deer and antelope in most other parts of the state..I'm just hoping we dont see another winter like last years for quite a while.

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I cant even describe how poor it is up here. I'm out almost everyday, early and in good game country and I havent seen 50 or 60 deer total all summer. Some days, I wont even see one deer or antelope.

I sure don't like to hear that with a tag for the up coming season. Are the numbers better around Billings?

Dink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Obviously you meant pulaski. But of course you knew that and were just testing everyone...

No need to reply, I'll go kick my own ass.

Now that's funny.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Compared to the winter we had up here, Billings was tropical...

[Linked Image]
Page 12 of 28 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (450yukon, 673, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 69sportfury, 26 invisible), 1,457 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,868
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.