Print Thread
Hop To
J
jd3006 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I assume scopes come from the factory with the turrets set at the mid point of their adjustment range. Is there any way to return one to that point other than counting clicks up and down and then counting again to the mid point. Scope in question is a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40. Reason for asking is when one wants to switch a scope to a different rifle, do you try to return turrets to the mid point to start fresh on the new rifle?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jd3006
Is there any way to return one to that point other than counting clicks up and down and then counting again to the mid point.

No.

Originally Posted by jd3006
do you try to return turrets to the mid point to start fresh on the new rifle?

Some people do. Whenever I make scope swaps I don't do it unless the new zero attempt requires some serious cranking on the turrets. Most of mine don't. If it's a scope that has been in the safe a while I always "remiddle" it.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I am sure somebody will chime but it seems I remember something about putting the objective on a mirror and you could see when it was centered. But then again I am old and may have dreamed it. grin miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Press the objective end of the scope squarely against a mirror. Look into the ocular end. If you see one reticle, it's centered. If you see two reticles move the adjustments until you see one.

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jd3006,

Don't laugh at mathman.

Try it. You'll like it.

edited to add: Welcome to the 'fire.

Last edited by Ringman; 08/12/11.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I use the mirror also.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hmmm, learned something new.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Hmmm, learned something new.

You ain't the only one.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've used the mirror method. I've also used v-blocks. Rotate the scope in the V-blocks and watch the center of the reticle. If it's perfectly centred, the intersection of the horizontal stadia and the verticle stadia will rotate around where they intersect. If the reticle is not centerered, the "X" will be following an elliptical pattern. Through trial and error, you can get one perfectly centered this way too.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I've used the mirror method. I've also used v-blocks. Rotate the scope in the V-blocks and watch the center of the reticle. If it's perfectly centred, the intersection of the horizontal stadia and the verticle stadia will rotate around where they intersect. If the reticle is not centerered, the "X" will be following an elliptical pattern. Through trial and error, you can get one perfectly centered this way too.

My usual approach.

However, one does not need V-blocks if you are using horizontally split rings. Just lay the scope in the bottom ring already mounted on the rifle, spin the scope, and adjust until the centre of the crosshairs does not move.

I found that with some scopes, counting clicks did NOT get the reticle optically centered. I am sure that the difference was not enough to worry about though since it was within about 3 or 4 MOA.

John

IC B3

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Make it easy and use the mirror!

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Optical center using a mirror, internal adjustment center using clicks, and center based on the exterior surface may all be a little different.

Bruce

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a video done by US Optics on centering your erector. It will work on any scope:

Erector Centering

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've use the mirror method mentioned above in the past, it works fine for centering the scope but that is of little practical use for me so I don't bother anymore.
Typically, I will just put the scope in the rings, remove the bolt and sight it in the old fashioned way, by looking down the bore at an object and then crank the turrets to match, this is by far the best way to bore sight a scope in my experience.
Once fine tuned at the range, I use a Leupold zero point module to mark the POA once, and use it to return the scope to the same settings once removed and then remounted. Works like a charm.

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (2500HD, 222Sako, 257robertsimp, 270wsmnutt, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,496
Posts18,509,148
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.