Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 28 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 27 28
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
logsplitter laugh

I have an 9lb rifle I use hunting elk, as well as a 7lb rifle that I sometimes use. Any other questions?

Once again, the military is spending millions on shaving fractions of ounces off small components of gear(including rifles) to make the overall weight on the soldier less. Even if you're in shape, the weight matters.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
grin

If you can't provide me with your reasons that 16 ounces in rifle weight makes such a difference in your hunt,your just babbling and calling names out of frustration,unlike a man..Back it up or give it up...

Is a new Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade to heavy for you to hunt with weighing in naked over 8 pounds?

Jayco

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
logsplitter, can't you read? I answered your questions.

For what it's worth, 16 ounces won't make a damn difference in your elk hunt. But again, your hunts and mine are probably different. Mine usually end with a great big dead elk and a pile of meat and antlers that have to come out on your back.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I can hit the recommended ranger scores right now, at 43.. no problem

I can read..I am 20 [bleep] years older than you and I don't whine about rifle weight....Or any weight...

You started this chit and your only 43..My gawd...

Jayco

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don' thave dog in this pissin contest and I'm old and dumb.Somehow I manage to kill an elk every year.

If I jump in a stream I might weigh 150lbs and I'm hard pressed to make 5 ft,5 inches.

That being said,I have carried an M1 Garand elk hunting just for [bleep] and grins a and I have carried a 13 lb 1886 45-70 with which I killed two bulls with. I do ride to my hunting area,but don't do all this healthy work out stuff except what labor I do around my place.

I quit the 13 lb 1886 because I could not keep my saddle straight without a big counter balance.

I have sheep hunted and goat hunted with std weight model 70's , scoped that probably weighed 9 lbs total and I was succesful in killing each animal.

I don't ever remember making a decision on which gun I took hunting based on it's weight.

I'm sure my old TC Hawkin weighs in about 10 lbs and it has killd a few elk.

Nothing wrong with selecting light weight gear. I go thru my day pack after about three days and take out the foolish stuff I really don't need to reduce weight,but if some one is worried about another lb of rifle weight, they have more problems that that.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
3 questions for LogSplitter

Where did I whine about anything?
Why is the military spending millions on lightening the weights of gear including guns?
Think you can (could have ever)hang with me in the mtns?

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I go thru my day pack after about three days and take out the foolish stuff I really don't need to reduce weight,but if some one is worried about another lb of rifle weight, they have more problems that that.

Exactly...Everyone thinks they need a 50# pack on there back full of non essentials,for what,I ask..You don't..If you leave one 16 ounce chocolate or granola bar at home,theres 16 ounces alone....

Just look at the gear list on this forum...Holy cow and 16 ounces in rifle weight is a breaker. grin

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
But again, your hunts and mine are probably different. Mine usually end with a great big dead elk and a pile of meat and antlers that have to come out on your back.

Greenhorn,

He doesn't understand your kind of hunting.

But if you want to talk road hunting from a semi(I'm sorry, Kenworth)......then Logsplitter is your man.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

OMG..I made my living running up and down mountains 6-7 days a week..I never came home one day without scratches/brooze's and ripped clothes in extremely steep mountains...

I don't do to bad now for my age but then again I sell firewood for a living..I cut and hauled 3 cords yesterday...What did you do yesterday?

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter

OMG..I made my living running up and down mountains 6-7 days a week..I never came home one day without scratches/brooze's and ripped clothes in extremely steep mountains...

I don't do to bad now for my age but then again I sell firewood for a living..I cut and hauled 3 cords yesterday...What did you do yesterday?

Jayco

Dude,

You don't know who you're talking to.

Give it up...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry a daypack for the what if's might happen.Mine don't weight no 50# and it's more than 10#.My rifles weight anywhere from 6.5lbs to a full 13+#.Dose 16 oz. make or break my hunt no not realy,but if I can shave a few ounces on my stuff and my mid section then I'm going to doit.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Sum beach..

You do alot of Elk hunting in Texas.WTF do you know about Elk hunting?

How about a resume.....

When did you shoot your first?
How many days a week do you spend in Elk country?
At what age did you first Elk hunt?
How many Elk you shot?

Jayco

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yesterday I sat on my ass drinking beer. Pretty sure I could do that for a few years, while hibernating in a cave, step out, and leave you in a whimpering fetal position while hunting elk.

Definition of tough is right here, one of the toughest humans I've heard of. Last weekend, bridger ridge run.. 68 years old, fell in the first 3 miles and busted her wrist. Finished it in 6hrs and 10 minutes, leaving a 17 mile blood trail. Made an appearance at the awards ceremony before heading to the ER. That's only part of what makes this person tough. Logsplitter, go the hell back into your trailer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ski_nordic/6044242066/in/set-72157627311362039/

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
While you were sitting on you azz drinking beer.....

I was here prior to getting wood.

[Linked Image]

And walked in with two of my sons to here.

[Linked Image]

I never ever said I was tough...I just do it or try my damdest but I never whine..It was really clear to me yesterday after just 2 cords of wood,I cannot keep up with my 34 and 35 year old sons, but we did get 3 cords and I still have respect from my kids,even at my age...

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeppers GH, that's quite a deal isn't it!? Did you do the run this year again?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Owe yeah..That's really bad..Try pulling a cable an inch thick with a set of tongs on it through the brush in way steeper country than that..It's called a Linkbelt 88 Jammer with 750 feet of line on it without a haul back.

grin grin grin

I rest my case tough guy.

This is for city boys trying to get into shape and complaining about rifle weight.

[Linked Image]

Jayco laugh

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by logcutter
Sum beach..

You do alot of Elk hunting in Texas.WTF do you know about Elk hunting?

How about a resume.....

When did you shoot your first?
How many days a week do you spend in Elk country?
At what age did you first Elk hunt?
How many Elk you shot?

Jayco

Was that directed at me???

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Was that directed at me???

No way Jack..I only fight back to those that attack me..Period...Your a good guy,in my opinion, for what it is worth....

Jayco

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Yep, LogSplitter Bridger ridge run - for total sissies. Might as well not put that one on your bucket list. laugh

http://www.winddrinkers.org/BRR/BridgerRidge.html

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Ever done this,Greenhorn?..I have and it isn't easy...You just keep using the gym and I will just keep using the mountains and chainsaws to keep in shape.

What is your daily occupation?

[Linked Image]

Jayco

Page 17 of 28 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (673, 06hunter59, 2ndwind, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 29aholic, 35 invisible), 1,623 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,976
Posts18,519,854
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.