Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
This is what I would go for since I already have a BlackHawk in 45LC.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_372/products_id/58093

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Plinker

Man!
That guy has had a Lot of practice with That right hand!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Jeff Cooper:

"This little 94 Winchester in 30-30 continues to delight us. It is no 400-meter weapon, but 400 meters is a fanciful range for any but certain specialties. Out to 200 meters it does just fine, and that is the distance inside which the overwhelming majority of effective rifle shots are taken."

From "The Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip" Volume IX, November 13, 1989

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A lever is the only design that you can reload while shouldered & shootin'. No bolt to open for loading and no magazines to replace.

If it's good enough for Lucas McCain vs the Germans, it's good enough!

That's not true. I have to remove my right hand from the receiver in order to put another round in my Marlin 336C taking my shooting hand completely off the gun. My 870's, 11-87's and Ithaca 37 can be reloaded with my left hand leaving my right hand, my shooting hand ready to fire.

Ever shoot and reload an AR 15. Push the mag. release, the mag. falls out, stick another magazine in it, push the slide release and a round is chambered and ready to go. You can reload 30 or 40 round magazines in a few seconds, 100 round beta drums, a few seconds more. Doesn't get much easier then this.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by NYH1
Ever shoot and reload an AR 15. Push the mag. release, the mag. falls out, stick another magazine in it, push the slide release and a round is chambered and ready to go. You can reload 30 or 40 round magazines in a few seconds, 100 round beta drums, a few seconds more. Doesn't get much easier then this.

You left out, "Push the forward assist." laugh whistle

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about a carry handle?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's something for you tactical 30-30 guys:

http://www.skinnersights.com/tactical_sights_14.html

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I tried to find the pic of my friends Cowboy Tactical rifle, with threaded muzzle and can, but no luck. 30-30 can be made subsonic pretty easily.

NRA Life Member
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by NYH1

You left out, "Push the forward assist." laugh whistle

No I didn't. I've never had to use the forward assist on my RRA wink

Last edited by NYH1; 08/18/11.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
..... tassels for the pistol grip.

I think that about covers it, unless someone else has a better idea.

Ed

Ed;
You see sir, that is why I've always been a 94 aficionado as opposed to Marlin's admittedly fine rifles.

No chance of putting tassels on a nonexistent grip now is there? laugh

To the OP, in all seriousness, the 94 that used to ride under my left leg when checking cows for a rancher buddy and that still sits in the scabbard when we tent in grizzly country has had the following modifications done by me.
-new fore end built with minimal barrel contact
-100year old Lyman tang sight installed and sighted in for 125yds. This one has a flip down "ghost ring" option too, proving not too much is new under the sun. wink
-large and easy to see copper bead front sight installed.
- folding rear sight installed on barrel sighted for 50yds.
-trigger job
-slicked up the action so it feeds much, much better.
-glass bedded the butt stock in for a perfect fit into the rear action socket.
-installed steel butt plate from a '20's vintage carbine, because it looks better to me.. blush
-the butt sock that Ed mentioned sits on there too, though it does like to slide off a bit too easily.
-several coats of Tru-Oil on all exterior and interior wood surfaces, though I really should have put down a base of epoxy first and just might do that some winter.

Anyway, it might not be "tactical" per se, but as the late Col. Cooper well knew, in the hands of a practiced individual, a decent lever gun in .30-30 would be a poor choice to stand in front of.

Hopefully that was some use to the OP.

All the best to you and yours Ed.

Dwayne

Thanks, friend Dwayne. Love the prose. Right on. Big smiles! wink

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Jaysus!

7 rounds with one in the chamber. How many do you need. Ever hear of "aiming"?

The brown bears in my country don't know "tactical" from squat. Me neither. My Dad's 1927 manufactured '94 is my regular carry gun for walk-abouts.

Some day, I may even shoot it again in need....

Killed my first deer in NoDak with it in '66. Haven't killed a thing with it since. With a good rest, it shoots slightly over inch groups at 100, with Lyman apeture sight (also old). Hell, my eyes were never that good! Planning on killing a moose with it before I die.

Killed my first moose with a Marlin 336, now sleeping with the fishes in the Tanana River in Interior Alaska. Worked fine. Didn't float worth a damn.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by las
Killed my first moose with a Marlin 336, now sleeping with the fishes in the Tanana River in Interior Alaska. Worked fine. Didn't float worth a damn.

cry grin cry

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Who'nell wants a floater anyway?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I carried a Marlin (30/30) more times than I can recall as bear protection. I'd have no issues carrying one against 2 legged critters.

One in 357 is always loaded and handy.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only problem is the caliber, it should be a 35 Remington.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BC30cal
BMT;
Thanks for putting up that video, I appreciate it.

Clint Smith has always struck me as a real down to earth, practical type of instructor. I've never met the man but base this on some of the comments attributed to him as well as reports from those who've been through his courses.

While I'm not sure it's in the future for me to attend one of his classes, I may have to invest in the DVD as it looks quite educational.

Thanks again and all the best to you and yours BMT.

Regards,
Dwayne

Back when the economy was good I took my teenage son to Thunder Ranch for a two day training session. The firearm instruction was incredible, but the way Clint got my son and I working as a team of riflemen was absolutely fantastic.

He is one of the most down to earth guys I have met. He simply lacks ego, and always made us feel like we were competent at every turn.

I never feel under gunned with a lever action. Except for maybe the rim fires, they are all good 100 yard tools. On the flip side, I never feel like a .223 anything is enough gun for all purposes. A 30-30 on the other hand does feel like enough gun for the job most of the time.

Still I love the way 35 Remingtons feed through a side port.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (1badf350, 160user, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,819 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,202
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.