Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
Their are two many ways two make phun of this, and it is two EZ...

You don't like the way he due things?

I would be hard to due things the way he dues them...I thank...threw the thickest brush and all...he must be a reel hunter.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Food plots for us out here are as much a management tool as a killing field.Trail cams give us a good cross section of what numbers we have in doe/buck ratios and the overall health of the herds.They also provide a diversity of diet and are helpful during extreme weather conditions to assure that the late hatch of fawns will see the warmth of spring... wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by mathman
Their are two many ways two make phun of this, and it is two EZ...

You don't like the way he due things?

I would be hard to due things the way he dues them...I thank...threw the thickest brush and all...he must be a reel hunter.....

Yu haf to bee, ef you gon two harrvest a trofey buk.

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hunt in a very large swamp with timber ridges in Manitoba. We hunt in treestands and it requires a very patient approach. I have come to believe over the years that we are a very small minority of hunters. Most hunters find it very boring and very cold in November. But my logic follows, "if a pack of timberwolves can't sneek up on a mature buck how do you expect too?" Stands used to be built by hand out of tree limbs and an occasional 2+4. If you go to Sasketchewan this how you will probably hunt. The technique is old school with new manufactured
stands. In many cases hunters do what they have to do to hunt the terrian and it is not a choice. When in the bush in Canada it is very thick brush that you must navigate and they hear you long before you get to see them. There are some that stalk because they have found a timbered area they can do so in. So I accept the way hunters approach their sport in many cases the game is requiring it to be sucessful. Buckfever1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by buckfever1
I hunt in a very large swamp with timber ridges in Manitoba. We hunt in treestands and it requires a very patient approach. I have come to believe over the years that we are a very small minority of hunters. Most hunters find it very boring and very cold in November. But my logic follows, "if a pack of timberwolves can't sneek up on a mature buck how do you expect too?" Stands used to be built by hand out of tree limbs and an occasional 2+4. If you go to Sasketchewan this how you will probably hunt. The technique is old school with new manufactured
stands. In many cases hunters do what they have to do to hunt the terrian and it is not a choice. When in the bush in Canada it is very thick brush that you must navigate and they hear you long before you get to see them. There are some that stalk because they have found a timbered area they can do so in. So I accept the way hunters approach their sport in many cases the game is requiring it to be sucessful. Buckfever1

really? no offense but its done every year all across the northeast. probably out west as well bgut they arent ghosts. they are deer. being as curious as they are often leads to their demise. ive found when tracking that after a few times jumping them out they will often times hang around long enough to see what you are.

an example would be last season my wife took her hunters saftey and hunted along behind me one and a half days before she killed her 6 pt as he lay in his bed, asleep

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wvhunter
soory you guys have to due that....i have thousands of acers to hunt on....i have been asked to hunt down south over plots and i told them no thinks...they tell me a different story......one made refernace to catching fish in a barrell...its not for me....i guess my poor under devloped mountains are good for one thing...tracking an old trophy buck threw some of the thickest country you have ever seen...

Seems so too, if I were you, I"d get rid of the computer and internet too and real quick. You are so old fashioned you don't need to be on here. go back to 2 shorts and a long.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I disagree there is no skill in food plots. You still need to figure out what they eat, what grows in your area at the right time of year, get your stand placement correct, hunt durring the right wind, etc. Lots of things go into setting a plot. You don't just plop them into woods and shoot a 160.

That being said, I've never hunted over one. I hunt mostly big woods public land where there isn't a food plot or field within 10 miles.

The private land I do hunt, is surronded by big woods public land, so it's the same type of hunting.

not to mention the amount of work to put them in..... I"ve mentioned it before, but currently due(or is that do....) to drought, I'm putting 1000 gallons of water on a small food plot twice a week. Thats labor and money. Not to mention that they are in stress right now and feed prices have skyrocketed.... they are burning 300 pounds of creep feed plus corn a week and not leaving anything on the ground each day... PRetty soon with the level of the tank, I"ll have to start bringing loads of water to a water trough for them to make it through too.... You may not agree with what I"m doing at home, but I see deer on a daily basis and damnit all, even at 10 bucks a bag of feed, I"m not going to let them starve. I wouldn't do it to my pets or cattle either....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, today you can either be a deer hunter or a deer farmer, your choice. Lot's choose to be farmers and if it didn't make it easier to kill deer I doubt like hell they'd bother.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by tedthorn
8 to 10 but on bad years 4 to 6 I hunt over water early and food later

Missouri has unlimited doe tags and an archery season that is 4 months long 12 days of rifle 9 days of M/L and a special 9 day rifle doe add in draw hunts and urban hunts and you can kill a truck load of deer in the Show-Me-State.

What the heck do you do with them? Last year I put 2.5 deer in my freezer, ate mostly deer all year and I just start to run out when season opens again. There is just the 2 of us eating it but still.

This year I have 3 mulie doe tags and a whitetail general. I'm not going to fill them all unless I know a friend who wants one in advance.
Mule does for meat, I want a WT buck. Got cheated last year's shotgun hunt.

We just got a new sausage press too... mmmmm.

[Linked Image]
Dirty trucks and happy dogs.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It's only money Jeff laugh

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by tedthorn
My Dad is an "old school" deer hunter....I kill more deer in a year than he has in his life (8) my way.
Well lotsa people do suck at hunting. I do it completely old school myself and averaged 4.7 per season over the past 10 years.{didn't keep track before that} There aren't any food plots where I hunt and I haven't set foot in a treestand since the 90's. I could kill more if I could get more tags. Way more.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Blackheart, what type of terrain/landscape do you hunt?

We hunt open country on foot(spot/stalk) in TX, CO, and IA. A man could fill up a few dump truck loads of deer easily every season if he had the tags. OTOH, here at home if you don't scout and clear your own lanes, a buck could be 10yds from you and you never know he was there. A huge difference in tactics to see, much less kill, game. A few min walk could land you at the Sheriff's office as well(tresspassing).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dang, I read "old school" and thought of grandpa shooting anything that dared to try and eat his crops. And it helped feed his eight kids. My friend's grandma shot a 55" bull moose in the head, from her kitchen window, with a 25-20. It was eating her cabbages. DRT.

What was the topic again? shocked

Bill

There are many copies.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
not to mention the amount of work to put them in..... I"ve mentioned it before, but currently due(or is that do....) to drought, I'm putting 1000 gallons of water on a small food plot twice a week. Thats labor and money. Not to mention that they are in stress right now and feed prices have skyrocketed.... they are burning 300 pounds of creep feed plus corn a week and not leaving anything on the ground each day... PRetty soon with the level of the tank, I"ll have to start bringing loads of water to a water trough for them to make it through too.... You may not agree with what I"m doing at home, but I see deer on a daily basis and damnit all, even at 10 bucks a bag of feed, I"m not going to let them starve. I wouldn't do it to my pets or cattle either....

Jeff

That's why I say it feels like farming, not hunting. Plots are too much work.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you suppose there's a difference in food plot approval between those who own/lease/or hunt public land? Wondering. Seems like some comments are sort of sour grapes.

Wood is Good.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt on private land sir.

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wasn't replying to you specifically Youper. But is it your private land? Just wondering.

Wood is Good.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heck, I had a guy here tell me he earns his food plot deer...but if I hunt over a foodplot I didn't personally plow, I didn't "earn" my buck.

Takes all kinds I guess. Everybody thinks they're better than everybody.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And for the record....

My truck's faster, rifle's more accurate, wife's prettier, kid's smarter and weiner's bigger than allz of yallz.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (338reddog, 8MMX57JS, Akhutr, 7 invisible), 907 guests, and 816 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,103
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.