Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I think you are all just collectively MEAN!!!!!
They are suffering too in a time of drought and just trying to make a living.
They have children too they are trying to provide for.
Isn't it your christian duty to SHARE food supplies?
Are you just wanton KILLERS of God's innocent creatures?
SHAME SHAME SHAME
If you must do this, why not level the playing field and take them on without the high powered armament, it isn't fair.

if someone is gonna do hand-to-paw, one-on-one combat with a coon they better bring someone to run the video camera cause i wanna see this laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB4

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a live trap strory from just recently.

We've had a very rough chicken year. We generally, for 15 years or so, have let them range at will over a couple acres. We lose 1-2 birds a year; an acceptable tax to pay to the wildlife. They'd usually get some daffy bird that was foraging at dusk in the ferns at the edge of the woods... I kill about 1-2 raccoons or possums a year on average.

But this year, something changed, and something started grabbing them very boldly. As in, right up near the house in broad daylight. You'd find a pile of feathers, and I'd always grab a gun and my Lab and run out and try to get it... over the years I've gotten a few coons that way, they'd tree up and I'd spot them by their eyes and shoot them out of the tree. Good times. But this critter wasn't doing that.

Set out a live trap, Harbor Freight version of the Have-A-Heart, and didn't catch anything but a big grey squirrel. Still, it was worth a try so I left it out and checked it every day.

So a couple weeks ago I go out there (into my woods) to check it and from a distance I can see it was sprung shut. Whoopee! Like a kid at Christmas I approach. As I get closer, I'm like, what the heck?! No critter! Closer still and I begin to pick out color in the dim woodsy light... red. Uh oh.

Get there and it's appalling. There's blood EVERYWHERE. It's all over the inside of the mesh, all over the trip panel... It's unbelievable. My first though was that something had chewed it's leg off but soon I realized that was a Very Dumb Thought. Finally I realized that I'd caught something, and something ELSE had somehow reached through the mesh and taken out the poor trapped critter in very small pieces!.

Brought the live trap in.

Oh- we figured out our predator. Busted him one late afternoon in plain sight in our back "yard" (field) trying to get our little chicks, which we'd bought in July (which is not how you normally do it) to get our flock back up to a dozen or so hens. They were in a "chicken tractor" so he couldn't get them. I didn't shoot it.

It was hard to capture the gore inside that trap in a photo; if you zoom in you might be able to see it on the mesh:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Major,
Ye got to pick yer shots son.
So far no short has overpenetrated.
If you line it up just right you can open the door and the little buggers will dance right out without spilling a drop on the cage.
They will also cut a buck and wing on the ground for a bit.

Cornpone

Quando Omni Moritati
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
You's guys is luck, they are 300-400 lbs around here, no funny striped tails, tend to be black or brown all over.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by T LEE
Why do you think I put the light & laser on my single shot .22WMR! smile smile I just feed em lead till they are full.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Thats a cool lookin' old rifle, what is it T LEE?

Gunner

Savage 72 their 1970's remake of the Stevens Favorite, I re-chambered it to .22 WMR. They called it the Crackshot CRACKSHOT Mfg. 1972-89.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rattler
SHAME SHAME SHAME
If you must do this, why not level the playing field and take them on without the high powered armament, it isn't fair.

if someone is gonna do hand-to-paw, one-on-one combat with a coon they better bring someone to run the video camera cause i wanna see this laugh

In the immortal words of Jerry Clower; "Somebody shoot up here amongst us, one of us has got to have some relief!"

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
You's guys is luck, they are 300-400 lbs around here, no funny striped tails, tend to be black or brown all over.

Gen. Cornpone,

See! They done put on disguises! Crafty Bastids! I bet they wear snow camo up north, whatcha think?

Maj. Malfunction

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Golden Malirin fly bait in a bird feeder BOLTED DOWN in the center of a picnic table. Takes care of the coons & the small pets can't get to it.

Scott

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What was your varmint Jeff?

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rattler
SHAME SHAME SHAME

Got that right, I might even pay admission for a long version! smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Major we may have to go to long rifle cartridges. I'll notify the arsenal.

Quando Omni Moritati
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a friend up near prescott that is raising "range" chickens.
This means they are in pens that are moved dailey in an irrigated field. Wire mesh sides. They have been having trouble with coons, that basically live in some big cottonwoods near the field. The coons will come in and grab part of a chicken through the mesh and just chew off a wing/ leg/ whatever.
It is a problem that needs to be fixed. Keep meaning to ask him about helping with the solution.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe_redux
The coons are too poor to eat or I would have a market for them with some folks I know.

Wouldn't that probably be cannabalism?
Har, har, har. Yea, there's a coo n in Washingtoon

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have already been forced to go to magnums, they knew the rang of the shorts & longs. Sniping is the only way anymore.

Your Obt Svt.
Gen. B. Neu Sance

Old cat turd!

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have already been forced to go to magnums, they knew the rang of the shorts & longs. Sniping is the only way anymore.

Your Obt Svt.
Gen. B. Neu Sance

i suggest general, that you should be using that great cartridge the 7mm/08. Assuming it would penetrate enough, that is.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by podunkkennels
What was your varmint Jeff?

Bobcat

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Your Obt Svt.
Gen. B. Neu Sance

Stand ready Sir,
A call for the artilery may come your way.

Double shot the guns and give them hell Genl. B

Cornpone

Quando Omni Moritati
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger

Your Obt Svt.
Gen. B. Neu Sance

Stand ready Sir,
A call for the artilery may come your way.

Double shot the guns and give them hell Genl. B

Cornpone

General, SIR! Permission requested to break out the .45Gov't Model 1895, SIR! I already know that ANY pizzant 7mm anything will just bounce offen them critters!

Maj. Malfunction

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by rnr
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les

I have a damned squirrel problem, one of my neighbors keeps giving the little infiltrators raw peanuts, I have peanut plants growing in my yard, I thought they wouldn't grow in Colorado. shocked

Me too. This year so far, I've taken 57 from the front porch w/ a 39A mountie and 700fps CB caps. They've been eating the apples from the tree next to the front door. 3 bites then they drop 'em. mad
I'm down to about 2-3 that I think I've seen.
I wish i had 57 fat squirrels cleaned and in the freezer.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Perhaps I could beg the use of the fine sharpshooter that recently ended the career of Union Maj. Gen. John Sedgwick Sir. If you could spare him that is.

Ever Your Obt Svnt.
Gen. Neu Sance

Old cat turd!

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.