Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Heck, I had a guy here tell me he earns his food plot deer...but if I hunt over a foodplot I didn't personally plow, I didn't "earn" my buck.

Takes all kinds I guess. Everybody thinks they're better than everybody.
Sit there 12 days to get him and you may change your mind

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

My experience is they don't like being still at all, they don't react well when the animals pop up in close proximity and they don't like hunting with very limited visibility.
JM

You've got me pegged, admittedly so. Now I can sit for a while, a long while in fact, if I can see a ways to give my binos and spotter a good workout. I've just never been able to sit in a blind with limited visibility. That's just me though. More power to those who can.

That about sums me up. If I'm in the 'woods', I'm moving. Open area I can sit still for a while and let my eyes do the moving.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Boy you're full-o-schit. I've got a little 32 acre spot I used to still hunt a buck off of of every danged year I hunted there.

Oh, yeah??! Well, I hunt on a 1/4 acre vacant lot next to my house and take a record book 6.5 yo buck every year on opening day, scout him all year. I know his feeding spot, his bedding spot and I track him down, and stab him with my dull Bowie knife. I could take more than that, too, lots more! ...if only I had the tags. So there!!

I'm I great hunter. Not like you! I'm good I tell ya! You're just an internet imposter! Not a great white hunter like me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
the last time i looked at this thread was 5 pm and it had only 7 pages. listen to some of you guys go back and forth. in a year go back and read this. i would feel a little embarrassed. if you dont, something is wrong. probably the same kinda kid that licked the bus windows on the way to school

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, Mister holier-than-thou, welcome to the thread.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
mmmmm.... bus windows

My diploma is a DD214
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
JG, I dislike it but if I think a really good buck or bull is using an active trail I hvve sat there all day with bow or gun. The misery of that and getting up early is sometimes worth it when big boy comes buy and I spent too many years of fruitless hunting on foot in the big thicket of east Texas as a kid before I finally learned that where a lot of tracks are, real animals travel there and usually on a daily basis. Of course, in west Texas a muley track may not be repeated in months and you may sit there till he'll freezes over when you could be moving and glassing and well,hell, hunting.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eyeball
. Of course, in west Texas a muley track may not be repeated in months and you may sit there till he'll freezes over when you could be moving and glassing and well,hell, hunting.

If you wait til he'll be frozen over he won't leave any tracks at all. Then even Blackheart couldn't track him.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some make it sound like you can't still hunt heavily forested land, that's not been my experience.

You can cruise ridge tops, check bottoms & hillsides. Of course, the close proximity of the game you may encounter makes a heavy dew or recent rainfall almost a requirement in order to get a shot.

The sound doesn't scare the deer, but if he can hear you approaching, he'll be looking right at the spot you poke your head over a ridge or lean out to peek over a ledge into a bottom.

Don't ask me how I know. LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
. Of course, in west Texas a muley track may not be repeated in months and you may sit there till he'll freezes over when you could be moving and glassing and well,hell, hunting.

If you wait til he'll be frozen over he won't leave any tracks at all. Then even Blackheart couldn't track him.
I can still smell the stinky sons a bitches.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
eyeball, my impatience has cost me a couple of times, I"ll admit. Just last year my buddy shot a 167" whitey after I got up and roamed around to a "better" spot.

[Linked Image  </div>
<br>

</div>

<div class=
It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I will also say that being impatient has got me deer I likely wouldn't have 'caught'.

Roll the dice

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You smile?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

i agree w/ this. i can too on good days

and to mr moses, the crunchy noises our feet make dont matter as much i dont believe either. lots of the deer ive shot tracking have been on crusty snow. you can often times crunch right up and shoot 'em. they are curious fellas. not to say its that easy and you do have to be ready to shoot and be looking and not be affraid to shoot at a running deer sometimes but certains characteristics of the way they are walking will tell you where you should be lookig for him. the trackers on this forums know what i mean. the classic J hook is on example

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why can't you hunt the way you want ? Some dickhead deer farmers won't allow it cuz they're afraid it'll [bleep] up their feeder/shooting house/trophy farm buck setup ?

What I said earlier still goes. I don't bad mouth anybodys legal way of hunting but to answer this, here is the facts in Texas.
Why can't you hunt the way you want?
If you set foot across that fence you can be arrested on a trespass to hunt charge which can lead to confiscation of your rifle, truck and anything else you got at the time. You are not supposed to even shoot across a fence though that is hard to prove. You can not follow wounded game across a fence w/o written permission of the landower or agent. ( I don't exactly agree with that but there it is anyway. That is the law.)
As I noted before I'd guess at least 80% of private land lays such that a 20 minute walk would put you off the place.

On the limited public land sure you could put up a feeder, some places allow it, (National forests or grass lands) but it most probably wouldn't be there when you got back to it.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga

i agree w/ this. i can too on good days

and to mr moses, the crunchy noises our feet make dont matter as much i dont believe either. lots of the deer ive shot tracking have been on crusty snow. you can often times crunch right up and shoot 'em. they are curious fellas. not to say its that easy and you do have to be ready to shoot and be looking and not be affraid to shoot at a running deer sometimes but certains characteristics of the way they are walking will tell you where you should be lookig for him. the trackers on this forums know what i mean. the classic J hook is on example
Dang, be careful 'bout sayin' stuff like that 'round here or sure as hell some bait pile watchin' deer farmer will call you a liar.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
some bait pile watchin' deer farmer will call you a liar.

Seems to me like most of the rude people around here are the Daniel Boone types that want to tell everybody else how to hunt. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You can't teach a deer farmer how to hunt. They already know it all and don't want to hear any different.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Two men stand in line at Wal-mart to buy their hunting licenses.

One sits in his stand overlooking his food plot for four hours before he finally shoots a nice buck.

The other laces up his boots and stalks through the woods for four hours before he shoots a nice buck.

The moral?

They both suck because they shop at Wal-mart!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't teach a deer farmer how to hunt. They already know it all and don't want to hear any different.

That sounds like you are describing yourself. Are you a deer farmer? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Page 7 of 29 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (308xray, 1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,085
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.