Hop To
Page 8 of 29 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 28 29
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
You can't teach a deer farmer how to hunt. They already know it all and don't want to hear any different.

That sounds like you are describing yourself. Are you a deer farmer? miles
Wishful thinkin' on your part. I know the difference between farming and hunting and never get the two confused.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think he was talking about the "know-it-all" part... Just saying.

Wood is Good.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 4_S_ter
I think he was talking about the "know-it-all" part... Just saying.

Ankle biters are always obvious. And pitiful.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ouch! Good one!

Wood is Good.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I had all the answers, I'd charge a fee to everyone on this site. Since I don't, and never will, I check to see what others are doing and ask questions.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
[/quote] I can still smell the stinky sons a bitches.
[/b]

i agree w/ this. i can too on good days

and to mr moses, the crunchy noises our feet make dont matter as much i dont believe either. lots of the deer ive shot tracking have been on crusty snow. you can often times crunch right up and shoot 'em. they are curious fellas. not to say its that easy and you do have to be ready to shoot and be looking and not be affraid to shoot at a running deer sometimes but certains characteristics of the way they are walking will tell you where you should be lookig for him. the trackers on this forums know what i mean. the classic J hook is on example [/quote]

I can tell skybuster is a Maine deer hunter.... wink smile

Surprising how many deer hunting myths get blown up if you track a deer....

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/24/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I can tell skybuster is a Maine deer hunter.... wink smile

Surprising how many deer hunting myths get blown up if you track a deer....
Ain't it the truth ! But you'll never get it sitting on your a$$ in a shooting house overlooking a food plot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't comment on Maine deer.

Can unequivocally say that after being hunted from October to Feb. every year, the Bucks here give their undivided attention to a noisy approach.

In the situation I mentioned earlier, 90 out of 100 times he will see you first as you poke your head over a ridge or look out into a bottom if he has heard you coming.

This means you have about 3-5 seconds, best case scenario, to find him, raise your rifle and let one go before he heads to the next township.

There is the rare occasion where he feels safe and hidden, if there is enough distance between you and him, say a large drainage. But this is the exception rather than the rule here because most woodland shots in the areas I hunt are less than 40-50 yds. and that's out of most bucks comfort zone IME, especially if they think they've been spotted.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But you'll never get it sitting on your a$$ in a shooting house overlooking a food plot.

You might be surprised what you can see if you watch deer going about their business without being scared. I watch a lot of deer that I don't shoot and they do some funny things when undisturbed by yokels walking around. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+1 JM. I've also noticed that the mule deer we hunt by tracking are 99% of the time watching where they came from anyway. We seldom see them before they see us. I've found that if they don't think you've seen them, and don't make eye contact, they feel like they're still hidden to an extent. This is tracking in sand where you can be ultra quiet if you take your time. The open country whitetails we hunt are much the same, except when they see us they haul azz even if your still 300 yards away.

I also agree with miles......you can learn an awful lot by sitting and watching.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/24/11.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Can't comment on Maine deer.

Can unequivocally say that after being hunted from October to Feb. every year, the Bucks here give their undivided attention to a noisy approach.

In the situation I mentioned earlier, 90 out of 100 times he will see you first as you poke your head over a ridge or look out into a bottom if he has heard you coming.

This means you have about 3-5 seconds, best case scenario, to find him, raise your rifle and let one go before he heads to the next township.

There is the rare occasion where he feels safe and hidden, if there is enough distance between you and him, say a large drainage. But this is the exception rather than the rule here because most woodland shots in the areas I hunt are less than 40-50 yds.

JM
Bino's are a still hunters best tool. It is amazing what can be done with stealth. I've taken bucks unaware in their beds at less than 30 yards several times while still hunting. Rainy/stormy days are a still hunters friend.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by milespatton
But you'll never get it sitting on your a$$ in a shooting house overlooking a food plot.

You might be surprised what you can see if you watch deer going about their business without being scared. I watch a lot of deer that I don't shoot and they do some funny things when undisturbed by yokels walking around. miles
If you think I haven't observed deer undisturbed at close range many times you are badly mistaken.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am just trying to point out that you are probably not the only one. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Just remember miles....if it's been done in the deer hunting world, blackheart has already done it, and better than anyone else.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm ready for some new scenery and to try hunting differently.

I have gotten bored hunting here. So much so that last year I mostly sat on my azz in stands that had tops and sides on them or stayed at the camp and watched football. I've burned out.

Nothing wrong with stand hunting, I just don't enjoy it much at all.

One day I'm going to go out west and bumble my way around public land with no guide, just me. I probably won't kill anything, but I'll enjoy it. My dad loved it, he went for years and said coming home and hunting just didn't compare.

JM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Just remember miles....if it's been done in the deer hunting world, blackheart has already done it, and better than anyone else.

His legend precedes him, the way lightning precedes thunder

His reputation is expanding, faster then the universe

He is Blackheart, the most interesting man in his world

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to see Flinch and Blackheart get into a one-upping contest. The amount of BS we would see would be AMAZING

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I used to track and still hunt deer. All the guys that were sitting in the ajacent properties used to thank me for pushing deer past them or cused me for disturbing the natural deer movements. I would see a heck of a lot more orange than brown. I got a lot of excercise but not many deer. Now I sit and shoot them in my clover field or ambush them on scrape and rub lines. My success rate is vastly better and I relax and let mother nature put on one heck of a show. And I've got a front row seat! I don't hunt that way out west but I still get a fair amount of seat time, just a different seat. YMMV

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I have taken deer every way it's commonly done except in front of dogs. I wouldn't say I'm the best but I have been quite successful.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Sounds like you need to switch species JM. I bet an elk or bear hunt would get your juices flowing.

Page 8 of 29 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 39 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.