Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 29 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 28 29
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As far as the pruning shear, you are only clipping enough to snake through when you have to, not clearing a trail.

That's priceless. I'm going to print that out and hang it at the deer camp for everyone to enjoy smile.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by milespatton
I don't think Blackheart understands the concept of thickets that you can barely get through, much less quietly, and big timber with pine needles on the ground.
Believe it or not, we've got those here too. I carry a pruning shear as part of my kit to help get through the thick stuff.

Do you have sandy beaches and lush tropical rain forests too?

grin...of course, and he carries his Superman cape in his kit, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do believe that wvhunter is thinking "Mission Accomplished" right now...

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
We've got thick swamp boosh, sandy beaches and tropical rain forest down here..... grin

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga

not sure how i should take this......

skybuster,it was meant as a compliment.. smile ...sorry I did not make that clear.

Tracking deer in Maine and New England is some of the toughest, and most fascinating and fun hunting I have done;and some of the best deer hunters I have met have come from Maine.

I know what you said in your post is true,because I have done it myself....even killed bucks that knew I was following them.So your post rang true with me.

Lots of folks don't believe a guy can walk on a buck he is tracking in cover unless he is completely silent....not true. wink

well thank you. its hard to tell the sincere from the sarcasm these days

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mar336
As far as the pruning shear, you are only clipping enough to snake through when you have to, not clearing a trail.

That's priceless. I'm going to print that out and hang it at the deer camp for everyone to enjoy smile.
Obviously you've never been in a 5-10 year old clearcut that's grown up primarily in blackberry brambles and multiflora rose. You dumbasses here never disappoint. You can always be counted on to act like a bunch of grade school children. Especially when it's you who are being shown as the ignorant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Please be patient with us, oh wise one, alaways.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Please be patient with us, oh wise one, alaways.
Are you going into first grade this year little girl ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why, is so, would you like to meet me?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Why, is so, huh ? Hmmm, I think your teacher better keep you in kindergarden for another year. Now shut the [bleep] up and go play with your dolls. You have nothing of value to contribute to an adult conversation. As usual.

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Still waiting for more Jim Bridger stories and other little gems from you.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
im all about the "tred barta" way so to speak but really? slashing though clear cut brush wheile deer hunting? ide go around (and guess what, most of the deer will too) if i wanted to clear brush all day ide join the snowmobile club up here. ive had bucks take me though some gawd awful nasty stuff and some times turn around backwards and push through a few times so to protect my eyes but if i cam to beech and briar infested slash ide opt for an easier way around althoiugh i have found myself in those types of places up north and think to myself "F'n A, now what!" hahaha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why, is so, huh ? Hmmm, I think your teacher better keep you in kindergarden for another year. Now shut the [bleep] up and go play with your dolls. You have nothing of value to contribute to an adult conversation. As usual.

Adult conversation? yeah, your "I'm-God's-gift-to-hunting" approach, coupled with your "I've-been-everywhere-and-done-everything" responses, seems to be going over very well with all the adults on this forum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This thread is AWESOME! grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Adult conversation? yeah, your "I'm-God's-gift-to-hunting" approach, coupled with your "I've-been-everywhere-and-done-everything" responses, seems to be going over very well with all the adults on this forum.
There are adults on this forum ? No way. As for the God's gift to hunting accusation. It absolutely is obvious that most here don't know diddly schitt when it comes to still hunting. I gave some factual pointers on doing it properly and the children here don't like it because they don't like having to face the realization that they really didn't know how at all.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
im all about the "tred barta" way so to speak but really? slashing though clear cut brush wheile deer hunting? ide go around (and guess what, most of the deer will too) if i wanted to clear brush all day ide join the snowmobile club up here. ive had bucks take me though some gawd awful nasty stuff and some times turn around backwards and push through a few times so to protect my eyes but if i cam to beech and briar infested slash ide opt for an easier way around althoiugh i have found myself in those types of places up north and think to myself "F'n A, now what!" hahaha
No way skybuster. There ain't any "thick stuff" up here in the Northeast. Just ask all the experts here. As to most of the deer going around clearcuts ? They must be different in Maine than in NY because they absolutely love that stuff here !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
hahaha well, when i come into those situations when tracking i do whats called and end o round. if the deer i was tracking diod go through and keep movin ide pick his track up when i circled the cutting. if i dont pick it up, he's still in there. either way... GAME ON and either way i aint gonna dig out my sheers and prune a trail. look man, ive agreed w/ you on some points but i think now maybe you have read too many books. lets see some pics!!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
hahaha well, when i come into those situations when tracking i do whats called and end o round. if the deer i was tracking diod go through and keep movin ide pick his track up when i circled the cutting. if i dont pick it up, he's still in there. either way... GAME ON and either way i aint gonna dig out my sheers and prune a trail. look man, ive agreed w/ you on some points but i think now maybe you have read too many books. lets see some pics!!!
If they're in there, I'll go in after them. I ain't in a hurry to get through so no need for a machete or bush hog. A pruning shear in your pocket is very little weight and clips off blackberry brambles or small branches conveniently. I'd post some pics if I had the capability but no scanner or digital camera here. I've read books on deer hunting but can't say I've read one that gave a good description of proper still hunting technique. Move slowly, keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to shoot quickly at the assend of jumped and running deer with a fast handling carbine seems to be the norm.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
careful your dont cut your finger off w/ your sheers when your shoulder your rifle to shoot at that boundin deer hahaha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I've read books on deer hunting but can't say I've read one that gave a good description of proper still hunting technique. Move slowly, keep your eyes peeled and be prepared to shoot quickly at the assend of jumped and running deer with a fast handling carbine seems to be the norm.

Why do you need to shoot quickly? You said earlier that if you still hunt properly you should see the deer before they see you.....

I've watched lots of guys "still hunt" here and most are doing nothing more than taking a slow stroll through the woods. Done properly, you should be seeing the majority of your deer before they see you. If you can accomplish that, you'll have plenty of time to position yourself for a good shot at deer that haven't seen you and are unaware of you presence

Geez man, armed with a rifle or even a primitive weapon and your pruning shears/gardening tools you should be able to slip right in on these deer grin

Guys that tell anybody that will listen how great they are as hunters and how everybody else sucks are normally the guys that don't have a clue as to what's going on IMO

Page 10 of 29 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (10gaugemag, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 36 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,048
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.