Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I think one single township would be a BIG food plot!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JDK
If only to complete my education, I'd like to try all methods of deer hunting and think I could have fun doing them all.

That said, as a native Mainer who grew up hunting in the "big woods" of Aroostook County, there is few things that get my blood flowing more than a fresh OMG track in 6 inches of snow. There is nothing like being in the woods for days, being able to wander until you heart is content, and not seeing a single human foot print. Following that track as he winds through blowdowns, swamps, over ridges, and through head high regen. I love that first sight of a brown patch, black nose or white throat patch and he doesn't know you are there. Put the bead behind his shoulder and you know you have beaten him on his terms.
Not saying this is better than any other style of hunting or any location but I have to admit it is pretty darned satisfying when you win.

exactly

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If this idiot actually has a hunting license & gun, that is REALLY SCARY... Sure, we have some real redneck hillbilly's even in Texas, but this guy is just frickin' nuts! He would definatly be the "Liberal Poster Boy" for gun control. I just want to know what color the sky is on HIS Little Planet???
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
In reading back through this whole thread, it looks like to me that you were the one who started all the name calling & insults. Again, showing a total lack of class of any kind... grin

There certainly seems to be a unanimous consensus (minus 1, of course grin)
Actually it was your whiny little girly ass, bleudreua and Rost495 who were the first ones to get uppity and insulting. Which I've found to be normal behavior among you classless Texans whenever someone questions the legitimacy of your extermely "liberal" hunting practices.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
heres a northen maine buck that my dad and i double teamed on thanksgiving day. for those that dont know double teaming is it's when two guys track the same buck together, the front guy is just the tracker, the beagle so to speak the not looking for the deer so much so the two of you can cruise a good pace to get caught up to the deer and the second guy is the eyes looking for the deer itself. usually the second guy gets the best shooting from when we can see. this time dad was the man smile 221 lb 12pt. Btw this was only the second time we have ever double team tracked and it was a blast. we learned the idea from the benoit videos although they make it look much easier

for you gun nuts the rifle dads holding is and old rem 700 carbine w/ a 19" barrel a lyman barrel band front sight, timnet trigger, its also had the butt stock cut down 1" and has been glass bedded, chambered in '06
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great buck!

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That's a great buck skybuster, real bruiser for sure. Good on ya for helping out the old man too. Those Benoit videos sure are something aren't they? I watched mine last night, and it was a real lesson on culture for my buddy's girlfriend who majored in social work.

I would love to get my feet on the ground up in the Maine woods. Never ventured anywhere other than the coastline for the most part. I think my trip up to Cabelas a couple weeks ago was the furthest North I have been in Maine. I have been up to Pittsburg a few times bird hunting in NH, but also have never deer hunted up that way. I think I am going to talk my uncle into bringing me up to the deer camp on Stinson Mountain this year in Rumney (I think we had a PM conversation about that place Bob) in trade for some work I did for him. Around where I am I usually hunting tracts that are 3,000-6,000 acres or so, but some real big woods sure would be fun.

I am also going to keep an eye out for a Remington 760 or 7600 in .270 or .300 Savage at the upcoming gunshow in Concord. I am working it Saturday, so I can do the pre-opening aisle crews before the masses arrive. It just ain't right that I hunt the way I do and haven't tried a pump rifle yet.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
thank you sharpshooter. i dunno about helpin the ol man out part, i would have loved to get some shooting in too lol. he's pretty quick w/ that little bolt and can ratchet that baby as fast and as accurate as any one ive seen w/ a lever pump or an auto and still hit somethin.

those benoit boys are pretty cool. we help a friend of ours w/ a booth at the shows up here in maine and we ours was next to theirs one year in wilton. for three days igot to listen to stories and pick their brains. got some cool stuff and some good info from them fellas.

im about an hour from cabelas, that place is a once a week venture usually lol. my dad has been in twice this week alone last minute things for the moose hunt ya know.

i love my pumps, all of them, but the one that i really love is my 35 whelen carbine. its always worn a peep w/ a fiberoptic front sight but a couple weeks ago i removed both, did a trigger spring swap and put on a luepy 2-7 on her. the work that i do i should wear saftey glasses more and i dont, ive noticed at longer ranges i cant pick out smaller horns and details through the thick brush like i could not too many years back. the crystal clear sight picture really helps me, especially on running game

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
skybuster, very nice! Congrats to you and your Dad....those are big grins and well deserved.Great buck and a fun way to get him, too.!

NH Sharpshooter: Stinson Mountain is a fun part of NH to hunt...I would hunt it "high"...it is big country, too,considering it is really not that far north.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
thanks bob

sharp, here are a couple before and after pics of my whelen
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I don't think I've ever even seen a buck that heavy..... saw a 190 lb six point once up in our panhandle. Great buck skybuster, im liking the Whelen too.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
skybuster: Tell us a bit of the story...how did you pick up the track and how far did you and your father follow him before you killed him?

Did you walk in on him,I mean did you catch him standing? What were the shooting conditions, ie distance,etc.

Like to hear some more on this. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Geezus, get some vagisil and shut the hell up !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That is one mean machine of a rifle you have there man. I think I need one now. Time to hock the stumpjumper machine gun (7400 carbine) to get an Amish machine gun. You pop many critters with that rig?

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice buck Skybuster. Got him the old fashioned way and got to do it with Dad.

You'll never forget that one.

The South & Northeast mirrored each other in firearm types used for many years.

Lever's, pumps, some auto's and shotguns is what I saw in most camps here in the 70's as a kid.

If you find any of the above being used now, it's usually someone my age or older.

Kinda sad, but it is a result of the dramatic changes that took place in the way people hunt here vs. 30-40 yrs ago.

No one runs dogs anymore, drives are forbidden on most private leases, so shotguns, fast repeaters or auto loaders aren't really necessary anymore.

Back in the 70's, a guy that carried a bolt gun was called a Dude or Fancy pants. Now they are all you see in the woods.

The old stuff is still fun to hunt with, but are pretty scarce nowadays.

JM

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
not really sharp, i bought it a few years back when remington did the special run of the 35 rem and the whelen, shot two deer w/ it w/ factory 250's when it was rifle length. then i put a 3-9 on it and had a few chances but was carrying a pump carbine in 3006 for a couple of years in a row that i killed my deer w/ then i had the whelen cut off to 18.5 and had it tapped and the williams front and rea sights put on by a smith. shot two more deer w/ it that way and missed a few and a coyote lol shooting 225 tbbc. then last year i used it and shot the hell out of some moose maples w/ horn 250rn. ended up killing my deer w/ a 350 rem instead. this year i put that scope on it and i just got some 225gr nos. partitions to try this weekend if i get some loaded up. im backin up my dad on his moose hunt w/ it. he is using a t/c penn match rifle w/ round ball and patch hahaha should be a hell of a time and make a good video.

i have so many favorite rifles that i like to keep them in rotation if you know what i mean. i will say when its time to really get serious around thanksgiving week its either the 06 or my whelen......both pump carbines

Last edited by skybuster20ga; 09/01/11.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
skybuster: Tell us a bit of the story...how did you pick up the track and how far did you and your father follow him before you killed him?

Did you walk in on him,I mean did you catch him standing? What were the shooting conditions, ie distance,etc.

Like to hear some more on this. smile

well, we knew he was in this area of about 1 square mile cuz dad had tracked him on that previous monday but then the snow melted and we poked around looking for his core area for the next two days. i had found some good sign in another spot and we still hunted it for the next two days and let this one hopefully forget about the fool chasing him around on monday. it snowed thanksgiving morning and dad and i had to go get sand from a pit and sand the driveway so the other hunters could get out of camp. (thats why the bows are in the back of my truck. trying to keep him somewhat clean on the ride back to camp) we didnt get started untill about 7:30 which was no biggie. we went back to where dad had cut his track on monday and found it about a mile away. clearly the same buck his hoove on his left foot was very distinguishable (sp). we parked loaded up and i took off atr a good pace. slower then a jog but fast paced just the same. he fallowed a brook for a long time , 400 yds maybe? it made it hard to hear but it was snowing like hell anyways and that also made it tough to hear, or see far. around 12:30 or so we were at a pinch point on the brook on our left that was rising and a steep bank on our right that bordered a cut off. at the top of the bank was a stand of 10-16 foot tall x mas trees. i had slowed down also to a medium paced walk cuz he was just wondering. i expected him to cross the brook then bed back on our left to watch his back track the way the wind was blowing from right to left but he didnt, he bedded up on our right. we actually got by him about 15 yds before he stood up and lowerd his head in an effort to sneak past us undetected and my dad just kinda said 'there' BANG....BANG. the second bang caught him square in the neck. pretty sure the first shot went under his chin by the looks of the up rooted dirt on the side hill. he was only 60 yds bedded when he stood up. all dad said was 'wow that was fast, did you see him?' hahah i see him but it was all over but the shooting by then. the rest was history. the drag wasnt too bad either 400, maybe 500 yds arcoss that old cut off then a dead end secondary loggin road. maybe 3/4 of a mile back to the truck after that down the log road. pretty easy one in that respect. all that snow melted the next day. i ended up w/ a 5 pt on the last day. i almost didnt shoot him but im weak man that late in the season and then shot him in the face

i should note that he was killed w/ one of those crappy old core lokt bullets hahaha

my dinky 5pt from the last day. broke my stinkin rear window too lol
[Linked Image]

Last edited by skybuster20ga; 09/01/11.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great stuff skybuster. Even better since you did it with dad. Congrats to you both.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
heres a northen maine buck that my dad and i double teamed on thanksgiving day. for those that dont know double teaming is it's when two guys track the same buck together, the front guy is just the tracker, the beagle so to speak the not looking for the deer so much so the two of you can cruise a good pace to get caught up to the deer and the second guy is the eyes looking for the deer itself. usually the second guy gets the best shooting from when we can see. this time dad was the man smile 221 lb 12pt. Btw this was only the second time we have ever double team tracked and it was a blast. we learned the idea from the benoit videos although they make it look much easier

for you gun nuts the rifle dads holding is and old rem 700 carbine w/ a 19" barrel a lyman barrel band front sight, timnet trigger, its also had the butt stock cut down 1" and has been glass bedded, chambered in '06
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Great buck! What an awesome hunt and memory that you will cherish forever!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The old stuff is still fun to hunt with, but are pretty scarce nowadays.

I've seen at least a half dozen 740's in the last week or two being sighted in at the range but they're definitely on the decline. Literally every shop in town here has 3 or 4 of them on the shelf they can't get rid of. If I see a pump 35 Rem show up though it's coming home with me.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We Texans know how to get it done. Bait and benchrests.

Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, anothergun, 9 invisible), 872 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,115
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.