Hop To
Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Originally Posted by mathman
If you'll save me a search, how much Re15 are you running in the Lapua brass under 150s?

I've worked up to 46.5 grains with 150 gr. flat base Interlocks. The groups are pretty good overall size wise, but I see a little vertical stringing at 200 and 300 yards that I think I can pull in with a couple more tenths. Some folks are finding the goody zone a bit over 47 grains, but that's not in Lapua brass. So I'm creeping up slowly.

Dave,

46gr R15 gave me 2951 fps with 150gr Hornadies from my 22" Krieger. No way I would go higher, but your rifle may be different...

John

Glad I'm not the only one to see high velocities with this combo. Thought it was weird getting 2840 (correction, actual was 2,889 and 2,900 fps!!!!) out of my win model 100 the other day with 45 gr.s of RE15. Knew it was a pretty stiff load for that particular rifle but didn't realize they were sizling out of the barrel like that. Now I need to see what 47 gr. is doing in my bolt guns blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
John's rifle was throated a good bit shorter than a typical factory 308.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
168Amax and 168TTSX are nicely suited and remarkable similar in good ways. Take your pick on powder, manuals are a good start.

NRA Endowment member, BAA Lifer, USPSA Life member, SCSA Life member, ICORE

To teach those that don't know, To remind those that do Know, To correct those that think they know.
-Helio Gracie
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John's rifle was throated a good bit shorter than a typical factory 308.

Developed high pressures I'm assuming. The throat on my win model 100 is pretty short too. For whatever reason , "it is what it is". I may reduce the load a bit since it is a semi-auto. blush.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Here is a summary of an article I copied from a Reloader Mag, many of you may have already seen it, but it has some pretty good information, he was using Varget.
By Gary Sciuchetti and was published in the Handloader Magazine # 257. Gary's goal was to establish the most accurate load possible for a 308 winchester, and to find out how much each component affects accuracy and which brands may have the greatest accuracy potential. Each change in components was conducted with 4 five shot shot groups, 4 different rests were built all of which allowed the shooter to position the rifle and stand to one side while firing. Thousands of rounds were fired over a two year period. In the summary Gary listed several findings. One was that in his particular rifle, a Sako, that Federal GM Match ammunition was by far the most accurate. He also stated that changing the "quantity" of powder can alter group sizes up to .75 inch. Different primer brands altered group sizes by .313. Changing case brand altered group size by up to .25 inch. Changing brands and styles of bullets changed group sizes up to 2 inches. Seating depth is critical and a change can alter group size by 3 inches. His bullet data chart showed that , of all 165/168 bullets tested that the Match Bergers, and the VLD followed by the Matchking, Interbond A-Max, were the most accurate tested. In the middle of the group were the Partition, Grand Slam, Interlock SP, at the tail end were the J-36, Weldcore, Interlock BTSP, Barnes and Woodleigh.
I hope this is helpful to some it was and is to me.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Elkmen
Here is a summary of an article I copied from a Reloader Mag, many of you may have already seen it, but it has some pretty good information, he was using Varget.
By Gary Sciuchetti and was published in the Handloader Magazine # 257. Gary's goal was to establish the most accurate load possible for a 308 winchester, and to find out how much each component affects accuracy and which brands may have the greatest accuracy potential. Each change in components was conducted with 4 five shot shot groups, 4 different rests were built all of which allowed the shooter to position the rifle and stand to one side while firing. Thousands of rounds were fired over a two year period. In the summary Gary listed several findings. One was that in his particular rifle, a Sako, that Federal GM Match ammunition was by far the most accurate. He also stated that changing the "quantity" of powder can alter group sizes up to .75 inch. Different primer brands altered group sizes by .313. Changing case brand altered group size by up to .25 inch. Changing brands and styles of bullets changed group sizes up to 2 inches. Seating depth is critical and a change can alter group size by 3 inches. His bullet data chart showed that , of all 165/168 bullets tested that the Match Bergers, and the VLD followed by the Matchking, Interbond A-Max, were the most accurate tested. In the middle of the group were the Partition, Grand Slam, Interlock SP, at the tail end were the J-36, Weldcore, Interlock BTSP, Barnes and Woodleigh.
I hope this is helpful to some it was and is to me.

Good info, but you need to be reminded that each rifle is an individual and one may have a preference towards different components. This includes all that you've mentioned (bullets, seating depth, primers, brass, and powder). One thing you didn't mention is run-out or concentricity which has a huge bearing on accuracy. I think it is funny how you mention hornady interlock btsp as being an inaccurate bullet as many here know that is bs. That further backs up what I was just saying. My 300 wsm regularly shoots hornady interlock btsp into clusters like this:
[Linked Image]
10 shot group.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
bsahunter

I do not think that your comment was "funny".
I did not state that the hornady interlock btsp was inaccurate, I was summerizing the data presented. In Gary's article where he showed a chart of bullet accuracy in his testing. In "his" chart the interlock btsp was way to the right of the best. I am also well aware that all rifles are not the same but would also think that similar results may also be found by other testers. I have always thought the bullet was a primary component and the primer a minor one. This article reinforced that for me.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
This one may have already shown up here in one form or another:

bulk Winchester brass
CCI 200's
165 g Sierra Gameking boat tail
39.5 g IMR 3031 (or 39.0, doesn't matter in my rifle)
COL 2.80"

as I understand it this is similar to an old Federal match load that used the 168 g. Sierra match bullet.

if you want top velocity, this load will not give it to you. but it shoots more consistently than anything else i have put through my rifle.

recoil is mild, and it doesn't create much barrel heating (comparatively), so you can do some extended shooting with it. I was really impressed with how well my rifle was grouping these today, the only limiting factor seemed to be the shooter.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
39.5 of 3031 is extremely accurate with a couple of 168 gr. match type bullets in FC and LC brass. This is in five of five rifles tried.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
mathman, the winchester brass is probably losing a little velocity to the LC brass with that load, eh? I don't have a chronograph, but I can't imagine that this load is beating 2550 fps or so out of the 20" barrel of my rifle.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're probably shy of that. In two 20" barrels (both 700 Remingtons) that load in Fed. brass gives just over 2500 fps.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
My truck gun in .308 loves 44.5 gr of Varget and a 150 gr Nosler BT with a Fed 210 primer

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
this is the first 4 shots from a cold/clean bore at 100 yds this morning (low shot is the cold bore shot). 39.5 IMR 3031, old Rem brass, 168 SMK seated to 2.8", CCI 200's.

[Linked Image]

3 shots at same distance with 44.0 H4895, same rem brass, 150 g Hornady spirepoint seated 2.735" (per hornady manual), cci 200's.

[Linked Image]

i admit to cheating a little, as the rifle is a remington 700p w/ 14x scope.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am quite new to reloading but wanted to try it and reload for my Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter .308 Win. I went for 150gr Hornady SST with Vihtavouri N140 powder. I put up the small write up on the process.

RoeStalker UK - 308Win load development

I used CCI 200 large rifle primers and reused my Sako once fired brass.

The best load in my rifle was 46.4gr with 2.820" overall length. I cannot shoot any better than that so I am very pleased and all this with Lee Classic Loader and a few extra items.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by glogin; 12/07/11.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Never understood rifles that "shoot .5moa all day long...... as long as I do my part" and then showing one or two groups nowhere near the aiming point.....

But I digress...

In any case 308's are easy peasy. As has been stated, 45-46gr Varget with a 168gr bullet will do nicely.

The load for these was just dropped and shot. No work up.

First 5...
[Linked Image]

Second 5...
[Linked Image]

Last ten and zeroed...
[Linked Image]

LC brass
168gr AMAX
45gr Varget
BR2 primer
2.810 COAL

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In any case 308's are easy peasy.

Yep.

Last Sunday I did a 100 yard test with three lots of RL15. The rifle was a Kimber LPT fitted with a Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40LR set to 14x. The target was a half inch dot on a grid background.

Load: FC brass, F210M, 168 CC Nosler at 3.225" length in a Sinclair nut, 2.81" nom. OACL

Powder was dispensed from a Redding BR-30 measure set to throw 42 grains of the reference lot of RL15. The other two lots threw 40.7 and 42.4 grains on the same setting, and that's how they were used.

The first three targets were shot in round robin fashion, load A on target A, load B on target B, ... until fifteen rounds were fired. After the rifle cooled, a fourth target was shot with six rounds. Two of each of the three loads were fired, abc, abc.

I overlaid the four targets with a light behind them, and the resulting composite 21 shot group is 0.92" center to center.

No doubt, it's eager to please. grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
The rifle was a Kimber LPT

nice stick!

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Read too much about 155 Scenars and had to give them a try. First three shots, one hole. There might be something to these things. Didn't have the chrono and was shooting off a rickety old desk and sitting on a folding beach chair. Looking forward to shooting from a solid position with a chrono. I suspect they are zinging along quite well.

D
D
im looking to build a .308 and wanna go overboard with it, solid copper 250gr, i remember reading something about a guy who did that but dont recall what or who. anyone got an idea?

I hunt everying
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This was supposed to be about good 308 loads. grin

Page 15 of 32 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.