-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 28 1 2 26 27 28
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What we prefer is the important thing about this discussion to remember. For some reason or another some people want to tell others what they should or shouldn't be carrying for weight in a rifle.

I mean really why on earth should anyone else care what others carry (be it in gun weight or in day pack weight), other to further their personal agenda I can't imagine giving a flock as to what others carry...

I know what works for me and will carry accordingly.

Most all can carry a lot more than they feel a need to carry and some get lost in this concept for some reason or another...

I find it kind of ironic that some feel concern themselves with what others choose to want to not carry for weight and then...get wound about the fact that some people carry a day pack and why should they be carrying all that weight in it!?

Ciao

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Agree with both Jeff and Dober. Carry what you want, along with what you need.

The one thing that does make me pause is when some say "Lose the pounds from your belly" and think that equals things out. Easily proven it doesn't.

At one time swordsmen picked their sword with care. Weight, balance, cutting edge, anticipated use and individual strength all were given consideration. Rifles are little different.

Last edited by battue; 09/12/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You're talking sense. That isn't going to cut it for some posters.

I apologize for posting before submitting my resume but I'm still looking for a resume writing service to create one that will pass muster here. smile

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wouldn't carry a target rifle up and down a mountain hunting elk or any other critter. Nor would I pass on a hunt because I didn't have the latest and greatest feather weight. Much like rifle weight is a poor measuring stick for showing if a person is in good enough shape to go hunting. I see many a person carrying too much chit in their pack that they will never use that weighs more than three pounds. I, like those have mentioned above, don't care what you carry nor will I judge you based on it. It is still a free country and if you want to carry a .50 BMG to hunt elk in the mountains I'm fine with that. And if you want to do it with a titanium pistol that weighs less than a pair of track shoes, I'm cool with that too.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good God. This is still going on. I figured it was hunting season now.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
sure is.. can't kill an elk listening tho this chit, or laying in bed.

later..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just saw that picture of the elk with it's whole side peeled away.
That is a horrible wound. I wonder what hit it? smile

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
exit wound from a .223 AI?

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I want my elk filleted and packaged on the mountain by my bullet/cartridge or else I'm [bleep] going home pissed.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
M
Since there is still a few weeks to my hunt I am gonna say I drag a 11 lb plus Sendero 7mm stw around hike hunting but I hate to change because it's paid for and it's killed two nice bulls In three years at long range. I am 55 with a heart condition so I go slow and sit down more than most of you young turkeys....but I eat elk about twice a week year round.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Meatlover
Since there is still a few weeks to my hunt I am gonna say I drag a 11 lb plus Sendero 7mm stw around hike hunting but I hate to change because it's paid for and it's killed two nice bulls In three years at long range. I am 55 with a heart condition so I go slow and sit down more than most of you young turkeys....but I eat elk about twice a week year round.

Hunting is an activity to be enjoyed in all its aspects as far as I�m concerned. That includes preparation, time spent in camp and the field with friends, taking an occasional shot with whichever rifle or handgun makes the trip. I won't knock anyone for carrying what makes them happy and in fact recommend it � if that rifle brings a smile to your lips, go for it.

I do have to say that 11 pounds is considerably heavier than I would want to carry when hunting elk � by week�s end there would be more of a grimace than a grin on my face!

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Apparently folks consider someone a 'wuss' for taking 2 pounds of their rifle or say silly [bleep] like loose 5 pounds from your waist. Tell you what, add 5 pounds to your boots and let me know how that plays out.

Not many people know this one but a pound on your boots equals six on your back according to an old Army study. I believe it too.

[Linked Image]
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Anything under 6# is fine... If it only holds 3 then your flinch wont start till you reload smile

Woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Page 28 of 28 1 2 26 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (02bfishn, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,571
Posts18,491,880
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.