Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
I haven't seen that Speer short barrel .38 stuff available for a long time. Seems to be constantly on back order, with lead times unknown.

Paul

If the Speer GD load is unavailable, them the tried and true 158 grain SWCHP +P "FBI" load is reliable and available. It is never a poor choice.

μολὼν λαβέ
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a fan of the Buffalo Bore ammo for my .38 Specials. The +P 158 gr. LSWC-HP is a dandy. So is their standard velocity loading of the old "FBI load." If the gun is an Airweight, then I like their hardcast 150 gr. full wadcutter standard velocity load.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OK, maybe this is a dumb question but is that Fedral Nyclad ammo still being made. The only Nyclad ammo I've seen os a box of S&W marked Chief Special 125 gr. semi-wadcutter hollow point, #N387N. Apparently theyw ere not Plus P ammo. The only reason I even know about that one is the box of ammo was givent to me, mostly full. There are some other .38 shells that look like they're Nyclad but are headstamped Federal and appear to be 158 gr. SWC bullets. The 125 gr. HP's are hearstamped S&W.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by PJGunner
OK, maybe this is a dumb question but is that Fedral Nyclad ammo still being made. Paul B.
Yep, here it is...
http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=828

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I read that the 158 gr +P LSWC-HP bullet ("FBI" or "Chicago" load) is designed for a 4" or greater barrel. Are you guys who are fans of these having luck with them out of a 2" barrel?

Last edited by JJ1962Hemi; 09/18/11.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." -- Ronald Reagan

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like the 135 gr Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel. I do have some 158 gr LSWCHP+p in my speed loader. I have tested alot of 38 loads out of my Smith model 638 snubby, those 2 loads do the best. The Corbon DPX does not open all the way out of my snubby, but I like it out of my 380, 9mm, and 45s.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
OK, maybe this is a dumb question but is that Fedral Nyclad ammo still being made. The only Nyclad ammo I've seen os a box of S&W marked Chief Special 125 gr. semi-wadcutter hollow point, #N387N. Apparently theyw ere not Plus P ammo. The only reason I even know about that one is the box of ammo was givent to me, mostly full. There are some other .38 shells that look like they're Nyclad but are headstamped Federal and appear to be 158 gr. SWC bullets. The 125 gr. HP's are hearstamped S&W.
Paul B.

PJ, hang on to that S&W Nyclad, it's become something of a collectors item from what I've been told. Back in the 80's when we were doing alot of shooting at the old Hodgdon's indoor shooting range, I was given some of it to test. The purpose of the Nyclad (according to the rep that gave it to me) was to lower airborne lead emissions while shooting on indoor ranges. Alot of us had highly elevated lead levels in our blood and the range had to change their ventilation system. I don't recall them giving any ballistic or barrel saving attributes to the ammo, just that it would produce less airborne toxins. Unfortunately I shot all but 1/2 box of what I had. Hang on to it.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
One thing nobody has mentioned is - check your point of impact, especially at longer ranges, say up to 25 yards. It won't make a difference up close but at longer range the lighter bullets tend to hit low, and you could be surprised at how much difference it makes - or not.

XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This past winter I finished off a coyote with a 110-gr +P Hornady Critical Defense from a 2" Charter Off-Duty .38 Spl. Expansion was ovalized, measuring .50" on the long axis and .45 on the short. Retained weight was 98.2 grains. The recovered examples Hornady shows on their web site expanded into a jagged star shape but the "petals" on my example were rolled back, leaving a much smoother outline.

I shot it in the top of the skull aiming straight down into the brain box. I didn't recover the bullet on site but it fell out of the 'yote's mouth as I was skinning it out. Those are very respectable expansion numbers, and you'd expect a bullet to shed a little weight crushing all that bone, but it disturbs me there was no exit wound when it had so little dog in its way.

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Max energy at close range with a lot of bone to penetrate and the bullet stayed together , pretty good performance if you ask me

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by silversport
nor were the Colt Detective Special, Cobra, Diamondback and Agent...at least not the older ones...and at least for a steady diet...I use the Federal 125GR standard velocity Nyclad in those and the +P stuff for my newer 642-2...

Bill

http://www.grantcunningham.com/coltammo.html
I used to have a photo of a Colt's manual where it shows what this web site says. Just limited use on the Colt's.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by XL5
This past winter I finished off a coyote with a 110-gr +P Hornady Critical Defense from a 2" Charter Off-Duty .38 Spl. Expansion was ovalized, measuring .50" on the long axis and .45 on the short. Retained weight was 98.2 grains. The recovered examples Hornady shows on their web site expanded into a jagged star shape but the "petals" on my example were rolled back, leaving a much smoother outline.

I shot it in the top of the skull aiming straight down into the brain box. I didn't recover the bullet on site but it fell out of the 'yote's mouth as I was skinning it out. Those are very respectable expansion numbers, and you'd expect a bullet to shed a little weight crushing all that bone, but it disturbs me there was no exit wound when it had so little dog in its way.

Exactly, that's why I stay away from 110 grain bullets in the 38's

Last edited by jwp475; 09/19/11.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I concur that the post 72 DS Agent Cobras were rated +P. I had one of the last parkerized Agents that thrived on the 158 HP loads. I would still be carrying it but it was stolen by a first responder when my house burned to the ground (another story.)

I still carry +p 158 HPs in a non +p Bodyguard though I practice with non+p hand loads.

Kevin I hope you will add your two cents as your knowledge of the current situatiin exceeds that of a bunch of us, and IMHO the snub special still has a role in warm weather and drop in the pocket concealed carry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gmoats
Paul B.

PJ, hang on to that S&W Nyclad, it's become something of a collectors item from what I've been told. Back in the 80's when we were doing alot of shooting at the old Hodgdon's indoor shooting range, I was given some of it to test. The purpose of the Nyclad (according to the rep that gave it to me) was to lower airborne lead emissions while shooting on indoor ranges. Alot of us had highly elevated lead levels in our blood and the range had to change their ventilation system. I don't recall them giving any ballistic or barrel saving attributes to the ammo, just that it would produce less airborne toxins. Unfortunately I shot all but 1/2 box of what I had. Hang on to it.

I've got a full, pristine box of 125 .38 +Ps. I thought the nylon was to reduce barrel leading while still using a very soft lead bullet.

Expat

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 09/19/11.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
XL5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by XL5

Exactly, that's why I stay away from 110 grain bullets in the 38's

Me too. Now. wink

Alle Fähigkeit ist vergeblich, wenn ein Engel in Ihrem Notenloch uriniert
-- old German proverb
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
...I've got a full, pristine box of 125 .38 +Ps. I thought the nylon was to reduce barrel leading while still using a very soft lead bullet.

Expat

You sure could be right Expat, that may have been it's purpose. It's possible that the ammo's introduction was coincidental with our lead-level issues and I've just co-joined the two in my memory.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
I've got a full, pristine box of 125 .38 +Ps. I thought the nylon was to reduce barrel leading while still using a very soft lead bullet.

Expat
Correct.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like the buffalo bore 158 grain LSWC HP in standard velocity out of the 2 inch guns.

Last edited by Timberbuck; 09/20/11.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The reason that the 158GR LSWCHP +P did so well beyond just being a good combination is that it is a Lead (soft, malleable) Semi-Wad Cutter (less taper and big hollow point), Hollow point...the +P gave it decent (for a .38 Special) velocity and the large opening and soft lead worked together to make it much more likely to open up than most the other stuff available...

Federal Nyclad was nearly the same bullet (with variances on velocity and weight) covered in a soft (when warmed by the exploding gasses) nylon jacket so it wouldn't get dented or dinged up in the revolvers (or pistols...they had it for other firearms too) or speedloaders as well as to reduce barrel lead fouling...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 09/20/11.

NRA Life Benefactor
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Speer Gold Dot

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,444
Posts18,470,916
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.