Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A few guys have lately posted pictures taken through their scopes in different threads.

I figured a thread just for through scope pictures would be interesting to compare different reticle and optics.

Please include the spec of the optic and reticle and range to target.

Here is an elk at 1250 yds and scope at 14X. Also a wild turkey, antelope and cow elk in view.
[Linked Image]

Another bull at 580yds and scope at 14X. I screwed up the camera as it is slightly in telephoto so image is slightly larger and eye relief is off.

[Linked Image]

One of my yard bucks at 25 yds with scope at 4.5X.

[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How do you get them that steady through a rifle scope? I've got some good one's through my spotter but I use an adaptor. Cool pics BTW.

Last edited by JGRaider; 09/27/11.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Got your VLDs ready to go John?.....Good pics.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The pics would be clearer if you'd follow E's focusing workout regime... wink

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bang laugh

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
How do you get them that steady through a rifle scope? I've got some good one's through my spotter but I use an adaptor. Cool pics BTW.

JG,

I have an adapter for filming and stills through the scope.

Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Got your VLDs ready to go John?.....Good pics.

BigS,

Yes!

Originally Posted by pointer
The pics would be clearer if you'd follow E's focusing workout regime... wink

Pointer,

Maybe E will post some pictures in this thread showing us all how a fixed 4X �properly focused� is the ultimate.

I am also limited by the horrible glass in the Leupold VX3.

Here are a few from this evening.
Whitey Buck
[Linked Image]

Muley Buck
[Linked Image]

Not a half bad bull elk smile
[Linked Image]

I was hoping some others would be willing to post pictures. Come on guys lets see some stuff.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried only once through my scope (my spotter wasn't along for the stalk), but they didn't come out. I figured that my auto focused on the reticle. Or do I need to hold it back within the famous CampFire 'eyebox', rather than right up against (as I do with the spotting scope)?

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pretty cool pics John...it do shade a 4X by a bit, I'd say. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
cat Offline
wow, how do you take these beautiful pictures?

You never know the girl standing beside you is your friend or your enemy.www.welcomeget.com
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
John-

I'm assuming it's just a vagary of the picture, but at least to me the lines below the crosshair appear to be thicker on one side than the other and the sides alternate as you move down. They are the same thickness, correct?

The more I think about it the more I like your reticle and scope. Now if I could just afford one...

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Great Pics!

I wish you would convince Leupold to make that a reticle choice.

Dink

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wish you would convince Leupold to make that a reticle choice.

And cut himself out of the profit loop?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like the horizontal marks but the vertical makes the scope to busy for my eyes and I would never use them anyways.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather have the vertical marks for holding into the wind. And a 9 inch vertical opening for quick ranging. E

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've shot with that scope and it is pretty simple to use.....kinda spooky holding two or three windage bars over and seeing those bullets lob onto target! eek

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
John,
What is the name of that reticle and where do you get'em?

Great pics!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
I like the horizontal marks but the vertical makes the scope to busy for my eyes and I would never use them anyways.

Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather have the vertical marks for holding into the wind. And a 9 inch vertical opening for quick ranging. E

I think you fellows are on the same page and both like the windage hash marks on the horizontal crosshair.

The rangefinding bars are quite a bit more useful than they seem on first impressions.

E,

The first gap down is 3 MOA so that would be a 9 inch gap at 300yds.

Pointer,

Correct.

Bob,

Getting ready for Wyoming?

Originally Posted by StrayDog
John,
What is the name of that reticle and where do you get'em?

StrayDog,

The reticle is the Precision Hunting Reticle.

Check out www.GreybullPrecision.com

John Burns

I have all the sources.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The rangefinding bars are quite a bit more useful than they seem on first impressions.

So educate us John, how are they useful?
Do you personally use them? For multiple applications I take it?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
not the best pic but oh well. holdin the camera in one hand an the gun in the other. took a few tries grin
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35

So educate us John, how are they useful?
Do you personally use them? For multiple applications I take it?

Well the reason I put the range bars in the reticle was for optically ranging critters. The bar design works significantly better than a mil dot because a back to brisket measurement is easier with a bar than a single dot.

The first gap is 3 MOA (minutes of angle) and the rest of the spacing is 1 MOA to a total of 8 MOA below the horizontal crosshair.

Here is an example from this evening. Figure a branch antlered bull is 28 inches from back to brisket but stay off the hump and use the back line behind the shoulder.

This bull measures right at 5 MOA. 28 inches divided by 5 MOA give us an estimated range of 560 yds and the range finder gave me 535 yds. If I dialed my rifle to 560yds I would hit 3 inches high at 535 yds so that would be inside the vital of the bull.
[Linked Image]

It is obviously easier to do this type of ranging using a picture through the scope. In the real world I feel confident out to the 500yd mark or so and have used the system quite a few times when the lasers would not penetrate the snow storm or I simply forgot my range finder.

Now after using the reticle for many years I actually use it much more often to measure things at known distances. Some examples:

When zeroing the optic it is very easy to determine exactly how many MOA your point of impact is above or below or left or right you point of aim. This works at any distance and makes the zeroing the optic very fast and simple.

Want to know how big your group is? You have a scale right in the optic to measure the group in MOA without needing to go down range.

Want to know how big the rock is you have been hammering at 850yds? Measure it with the reticle. The MOA spacing represent 8.5 inches at that range and it is a simple matter to figure out the size of an unknown object to within an inch or 2 if you have an MOA scale in your optic.

Getting drop data for a new load? Very easy to see how much more or less elevation you will need to dial into the optic to get an exact zero at whatever range you are shooting.

The first gap is 3 MOA and a furred up coyote is 9 inches from back to brisket. If he is bigger than that gap he is inside 300yds and getting out your range finder is a waste of time so just kill him.

The gap to the bottom line is 8 MOA and branch antler bulls are 28 inches. If he is bigger than 8 MOA he is inside 350 yds. Use it like a go/no go gage.

The uses for a scale to measure elevation in MOA are quite varied but I hope I have hit on a few high points here.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 64 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,937
Posts18,519,017
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.