Home
A few guys have lately posted pictures taken through their scopes in different threads.

I figured a thread just for through scope pictures would be interesting to compare different reticle and optics.

Please include the spec of the optic and reticle and range to target.

Here is an elk at 1250 yds and scope at 14X. Also a wild turkey, antelope and cow elk in view.
[Linked Image]

Another bull at 580yds and scope at 14X. I screwed up the camera as it is slightly in telephoto so image is slightly larger and eye relief is off.

[Linked Image]

One of my yard bucks at 25 yds with scope at 4.5X.

[Linked Image]
How do you get them that steady through a rifle scope? I've got some good one's through my spotter but I use an adaptor. Cool pics BTW.
Got your VLDs ready to go John?.....Good pics.
The pics would be clearer if you'd follow E's focusing workout regime... wink
Bang laugh
Originally Posted by JGRaider
How do you get them that steady through a rifle scope? I've got some good one's through my spotter but I use an adaptor. Cool pics BTW.

JG,

I have an adapter for filming and stills through the scope.

Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Got your VLDs ready to go John?.....Good pics.

BigS,

Yes!

Originally Posted by pointer
The pics would be clearer if you'd follow E's focusing workout regime... wink

Pointer,

Maybe E will post some pictures in this thread showing us all how a fixed 4X �properly focused� is the ultimate.

I am also limited by the horrible glass in the Leupold VX3.

Here are a few from this evening.
Whitey Buck
[Linked Image]

Muley Buck
[Linked Image]

Not a half bad bull elk smile
[Linked Image]

I was hoping some others would be willing to post pictures. Come on guys lets see some stuff.
I've tried only once through my scope (my spotter wasn't along for the stalk), but they didn't come out. I figured that my auto focused on the reticle. Or do I need to hold it back within the famous CampFire 'eyebox', rather than right up against (as I do with the spotting scope)?
Pretty cool pics John...it do shade a 4X by a bit, I'd say. grin
wow, how do you take these beautiful pictures?
John-

I'm assuming it's just a vagary of the picture, but at least to me the lines below the crosshair appear to be thicker on one side than the other and the sides alternate as you move down. They are the same thickness, correct?

The more I think about it the more I like your reticle and scope. Now if I could just afford one...
Great Pics!

I wish you would convince Leupold to make that a reticle choice.

Dink
I wish you would convince Leupold to make that a reticle choice.

And cut himself out of the profit loop?
I like the horizontal marks but the vertical makes the scope to busy for my eyes and I would never use them anyways.

I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather have the vertical marks for holding into the wind. And a 9 inch vertical opening for quick ranging. E
I've shot with that scope and it is pretty simple to use.....kinda spooky holding two or three windage bars over and seeing those bullets lob onto target! eek
John,
What is the name of that reticle and where do you get'em?

Great pics!
Originally Posted by SU35
I like the horizontal marks but the vertical makes the scope to busy for my eyes and I would never use them anyways.

Originally Posted by Eremicus
I'm just the opposite. I'd much rather have the vertical marks for holding into the wind. And a 9 inch vertical opening for quick ranging. E

I think you fellows are on the same page and both like the windage hash marks on the horizontal crosshair.

The rangefinding bars are quite a bit more useful than they seem on first impressions.

E,

The first gap down is 3 MOA so that would be a 9 inch gap at 300yds.

Pointer,

Correct.

Bob,

Getting ready for Wyoming?

Originally Posted by StrayDog
John,
What is the name of that reticle and where do you get'em?

StrayDog,

The reticle is the Precision Hunting Reticle.

Check out www.GreybullPrecision.com

The rangefinding bars are quite a bit more useful than they seem on first impressions.

So educate us John, how are they useful?
Do you personally use them? For multiple applications I take it?

not the best pic but oh well. holdin the camera in one hand an the gun in the other. took a few tries grin
[Linked Image]

So educate us John, how are they useful?
Do you personally use them? For multiple applications I take it?

Well the reason I put the range bars in the reticle was for optically ranging critters. The bar design works significantly better than a mil dot because a back to brisket measurement is easier with a bar than a single dot.

The first gap is 3 MOA (minutes of angle) and the rest of the spacing is 1 MOA to a total of 8 MOA below the horizontal crosshair.

Here is an example from this evening. Figure a branch antlered bull is 28 inches from back to brisket but stay off the hump and use the back line behind the shoulder.

This bull measures right at 5 MOA. 28 inches divided by 5 MOA give us an estimated range of 560 yds and the range finder gave me 535 yds. If I dialed my rifle to 560yds I would hit 3 inches high at 535 yds so that would be inside the vital of the bull.
[Linked Image]

It is obviously easier to do this type of ranging using a picture through the scope. In the real world I feel confident out to the 500yd mark or so and have used the system quite a few times when the lasers would not penetrate the snow storm or I simply forgot my range finder.

Now after using the reticle for many years I actually use it much more often to measure things at known distances. Some examples:

When zeroing the optic it is very easy to determine exactly how many MOA your point of impact is above or below or left or right you point of aim. This works at any distance and makes the zeroing the optic very fast and simple.

Want to know how big your group is? You have a scale right in the optic to measure the group in MOA without needing to go down range.

Want to know how big the rock is you have been hammering at 850yds? Measure it with the reticle. The MOA spacing represent 8.5 inches at that range and it is a simple matter to figure out the size of an unknown object to within an inch or 2 if you have an MOA scale in your optic.

Getting drop data for a new load? Very easy to see how much more or less elevation you will need to dial into the optic to get an exact zero at whatever range you are shooting.

The first gap is 3 MOA and a furred up coyote is 9 inches from back to brisket. If he is bigger than that gap he is inside 300yds and getting out your range finder is a waste of time so just kill him.

The gap to the bottom line is 8 MOA and branch antler bulls are 28 inches. If he is bigger than 8 MOA he is inside 350 yds. Use it like a go/no go gage.

The uses for a scale to measure elevation in MOA are quite varied but I hope I have hit on a few high points here.

Bet that doesn't work too well in poor light, with all those "skinny" lines?
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
not the best pic but oh well. holdin the camera in one hand an the gun in the other. took a few tries grin
[Linked Image]

Looks like you got that focusing seminar down to a science.
Ok just spent a few minutes trying to get a shot with my point and shoot through the new burris I got in today. How are you guys taking such good pictures through your scopes?
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
A few guys have lately posted pictures taken through their scopes in different threads.

I figured a thread just for through scope pictures would be interesting to compare different reticle and optics.

Please include the spec of the optic and reticle and range to target.

Here is an elk at 1250 yds and scope at 14X. Also a wild turkey, antelope and cow elk in view.
[Linked Image]

Another bull at 580yds and scope at 14X. I screwed up the camera as it is slightly in telephoto so image is slightly larger and eye relief is off.

[Linked Image]

One of my yard bucks at 25 yds with scope at 4.5X.

[Linked Image]

HOLY Smokes...that is COOL! Undoubtedly much research went into the selection process to realize the consummate Haybale & Crockett/High Fence scope/reticle arrangement?! One can nearly count the strands on the barbed wire fence and distinguish the equipment that baled the field(s)! Those WILD Turkeys are magnificent in their primal splendor.

That rugged terrain must wreak havoc on both man and machine.

Thank you for the magnificent tutorial,as it's resplendent in nature and an illuminating view into the thought processes associated with optics advancement and their applications in same.

Might you be able to suggest an Outfitter?

Thanks!

It's BOXER!

Bless his heart, he's back. Yay.
This young buck was in the backyard last night feeding with the yard deer.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Boxer

haha.
and have used the system quite a few times when the lasers would not penetrate the snow storm or I simply forgot my range finder.

Been there, and very good points thanks.

HOLY Smokes...that is COOL! Undoubtedly much research went into the selection process to realize the consummate Haybale & Crockett/High Fence scope/reticle arrangement?! One can nearly count the strands on the barbed wire fence and distinguish the equipment that baled the field(s)!

Thanks Lil Fish, I am glad you like the pictures. This is why we use the 4.5-14 for our hunting as it helps for longer range shooting. I understand you don�t have much experience there but I do notice you showing more interest in precision shooting, as of late, and can�t help but feel I am helping you out in a small way.

Those WILD Turkeys are magnificent in their primal splendor.

I forget some guys don�t get to see wild turkeys and it must be a thrill for you. Those little blacktails you hunt from your boat are cute but I imagine pictures like this must really blow you away.

Only one WILD turkey in the pic but I understand your excitement. grin Good for you.

I can imagine how that terrain would be intimidating for someone like you but it really isn�t much compared to most places hear in Wyoming. The river bottoms where there is water are about the only places we can have any agriculture and this in turn is a natural draw for wildlife. No hunting is allowed on this ranch but it sure is a nice place to take a few pictures.

Thank you for the magnificent tutorial,as it's resplendent in nature and an illuminating view into the thought processes associated with optics advancement and their applications in same.
Thanks!

If I in any small way made your life better then that is enough for me, no thanks necessary, pardner. smile

Might you be able to suggest an Outfitter?
Thanks!

Why yes: Milligan Brand in Chama New Mexico and Wyomings Finest Outfitter in Sheridan.

Both outfits have experience dealing with guys like you who have absolutely, positively no elk hunting experience (we are talking zero) and going the extra mile to try and get you your first bull. Wow, wouldn�t that be cool if you had a few picture of your first elk hunt that you could post here and let us all enjoy. laugh laugh

Or maybe your first antelope or maybe your first mule deer or maybe your first whitetail deer or maybe your first turkey or maybe your second coyote. laugh laugh
If I were Boxer, I'd ask about their special rates for half a person, you know, 1/2x1 rate. He can't possibly eat as much or take up as much room as a regular person.
You guy's better give Lil Fish some slack as it's looking like she is swimming away!

Imagine that.. laugh
You are one of few people in this World,that can make Jackie Bushman look like a Hard Charger.

The pot is sweetened mightily in it's humor quotient,with a Texan and a Canuck feigning an inkling.

Bless your hearts.
Hey John, why ever bother with the douchebag Boxer, Bigstick, [bleep] or whatever his name is??
He has a bad case of "Little Man's Syndrome"!!

On another note John, you killin anything yet??

Me, have a clue??
There ya go with your imagination again... laugh

But calling me a canuck, well the is just plain mean, as I am not..
Epic Thread..got every Do-nothing Dumbphuck swooning schit glass and reticles,via Haybale & Crockett High Fence "Hunts".

You gals are a never ending series of belly laughs.

Bless your hearts.

Why didn't you choose a different scope maker such as NightForce or some other that can deliver quality glass? Leupold has proved over & over they cannot. Or do I not know what I'm talking about?
I just want to know what is the point of this thread? Are we selling a reticle/scope?
Originally Posted by 300MAG
Hey John, why ever bother with the douchebag Boxer, Bigstick, [bleep] or whatever his name is??
He has a bad case of "Little Man's Syndrome"!!

On another note John, you killin anything yet??

Jeff,

No killin yet but November is coming. grin

Ps Lil Fish amuses me at times.

Originally Posted by Nrut
You guy's better give Lil Fish some slack as it's looking like she is swimming away!

Imagine that.. laugh

You are one of few people in this World,that can make Jackie Bushman look like a Hard Charger.

The pot is sweetened mightily in it's humor quotient,with a Texan and a Canuck feigning an inkling.

Bless your hearts.

Nrut
No matter how lip hurt he gets he just keeps comes back. I did notice he backed up on the 68gr HPBT thread but I really sunk the hook deep on that one and yanked him all the way out of the water. laugh

Originally Posted by Reloder28

Why didn't you choose a different scope maker such as NightForce or some other that can deliver quality glass? Leupold has proved over & over they cannot. Or do I not know what I'm talking about?

Reloader28,

I assume you understood my post about the VX3 glass was tongue in cheek. In my opinion Leupold VX3 glass stands up to anything that weighs the same. Sure if you are willing to mount a 2lb optic there are other scopes that offer a slight resolution gain. Nightforce not being one.

Leupold has also proven they can build heavy glass that will stand side by side in terms of resolution to anything available but I have no interest in adding weight to the optic system for no real gain in performance.

The VX3 in 4.5-14x50mm is the lightest optic available that is totally suitable for any type of shot on big game, from near too far. The fact that it is rugged and durable, optically is very good, tracks perfectly and is reasonably priced simply cannot be beat. That is why we use it as the base optic.

Originally Posted by cfran
I just want to know what is the point of this thread? Are we selling a reticle/scope?

Cfran,

With all the pictures you must have missed the beginning of the original post. Hope this clears it up.

You and Jackie Bushman are the only two folks dumb enough to think the 68 and 75 Hornady BTHP's are "identical". Bless your hearts.

Folks that dumb,like to botch reticles and "Hunt" outta golf carts within the confines of a fence.

You poor clueless stooge.

Looking in the mirror?
Reloder28,

I assume you understood my post about the VX3 glass was tongue in cheek. No sir, I did not. I have strained a ligament handling some of their high end optics and gave them no further consideration. After this post I will revisit the matter. I have been on a quest for a long range scope.

The VX3 in 4.5-14x50mm is the lightest optic available that is totally suitable for any type of shot on big game, from near too far. I was impressed with the resolution in your pictures which was the first thing that caught my eye. The fact that it is rugged and durable, optically is very good, tracks perfectly and is reasonably priced simply cannot be beat. That is why we use it as the base optic. Thank you for your explanation. I told you I probably didn't know what I was talking about.grin
Originally Posted by Reloder28

Looking in the mirror?

Half a mirror.......
You and Jackie Bushman are the only two folks dumb enough to think the 68 and 75 Hornady BTHP's are "identical". Bless your hearts.

Folks that dumb,like to botch reticles and "Hunt" outta golf carts within the confines of a fence.

Lil Fish,

Now that you bring it up I was interested in maybe replacing my string of mules with one or two of those �Bad Boy Buggies� I have seen on TV. Seem like those things can go anywhere.

What model would you suggest I get to take a friend high fence big horn sheep hunting?
[Linked Image]

Would your favorite model be able to pack mule deer out of the pasture and through the gate in the fence?
[Linked Image]

How many would I need to pack bull elk out of the hayfields?
[Linked Image]

Oh heck I really do like my mules so I guess I will just stick with them but thanks for the interest. It is almost like you have a weird infatuation with me, how cool. Rub your lip, it will take some of the sting away. grin
[Linked Image]

The Texans are still peeking through the barbed wire,hoping to find something they can drive their golf cart to. Poor dumb John Bushman thinks a Pony Parade and a buncha Guides to wipe his ass constitutes a "Hunt". Too [bleep] funny!

In fairness I sort through better than a thousand mirrors a year,it's how I roll.

[Linked Image]

You gals keep telling yourselves that you are really doing it and don't forget the pics...this schit is hilarious! When it comes to setting on your asses,you ladies got it going on.
Larry,

The handwriting on that stock is obscene and gross.

Grow up or get out.
Half man has no class obviously.
Amen!

Leupold has also proven they can build heavy glass that will stand side by side in terms of resolution to anything available but I have no interest in adding weight to the optic system for no real gain in performance.

John, honest question. What do your guns weigh? They look rather heavy, but I understand that does offer benefits in a long range rig. That being said, not sure why a heavy scope, with premium glass would really matter since they are not lightweights.

Originally Posted by CRF
Larry,

The handwriting on that stock is obscene and gross.

Grow up or get out.

Wow - 19 posts and you think that you know Boxer's first name. Who are you really? Haven't got the balls to post under your real name?
Went out to video and take a few more photos of the elk on the riverbottom. The season is open but this private ranch has not let anyone hunt in the past few years. The elk are wild and there is no high fence but they have become very accustomed to traffic and people photographing and watching them from the county road.

Took this picture from the shoulder of an asphalt county road. Don�t know who the hunter was or how much he paid.
[Linked Image]

Hunter shot from this hay bale blind.
[Linked Image]

This was the bull 20 minutes before he was shot and 450 yds off the county road.
[Linked Image]

The bull will almost certainly make all time B&C. Sure hope the glory shots don�t have the pickup in the background.
[Linked Image]

Stupid Lil Fish put a course on that bull with his Haybale and Crockett comments.

Funny thing was watching those guys walk up on that great bull. There were 4 vehicles on the county road that watched all this happen. Through the spotting scope the hunters appeared sheepish and not real proud of what had happened.

I suppose time will heal all wounds and the hunter will look up at his B&C trophy bull and remember the hunt with fondness but this evening in front of a pretty big (for an elk shoot) audience he seemed less than enthused. Wonder if he feels like he got his money�s worth?

All of this might seem like a case of sour grapes and in full disclosure I had visions of finding that bull late in the season out in the desert. After the rut the bigger bulls leave the private sometimes and head out into the desert to recoup. It is searching for a needle in a haystack but it has been done, 2 years ago a friend killed a 390 bull from this herd 5 miles from the riverbottom in the badlands. Taking a bull like that on public ground would be quite a fun hunt.

All of this might seem like a case of sour grapes

Not sour grapes, they might as well have shot a marmot out in the hayfield. Same thing...

I have had the displeasure of mounting a few big bucks that some local hunters whack out of their private hayfields every year. Even had to listen to them bitch about the score not being enough... sick I refer to their bucks as "gophers." Means about the same to me.
Wow - 19 posts and you think that know Boxer's first name. Who are you really? Haven't got the balls to post under your real name?

You can always count on butt sniffer to show up and take cheap shots.
John,
Why not a FFP scope for ranging?
John,

Would you mind posting what you use for a "Back to brisket" height on some other critters? Like a Mule Deer buck and a Pronghorn Buck? thanks
Don't take much to get the Whiners whining and why is it that the Texans always whine the most? That City Slickin'/Flat Landing "living" does you gals no favors.

Personally,I couldn't call the S&W High Class,though she's in transition and given cooperation with the week's Mail it will all fall nicely into place. A MK4 6x in Max 50's does more for me.

[Linked Image]

A wee bit touching admiring you gals' consumate indelicacies,though it do put your Haybale & Crockett pursuits into perspective. Relishing the Tutorial now on subtending cud chewers in freshly mowed fields as the Trump Card of the Barney Fife reticle. Guides,Haybales and the harrowing notion of chipping a finger nail...really is the stuff of epic comedy.

Bless your hearts.

Half Man is the only one remotely impressed with Half Man.
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
John,
I've wondered about that as well.
Wow - 19 posts and you think that know Boxer's first name. Who are you really? Haven't got the balls to post under your real name?

You can always count on butt sniffer to show up and take cheap shots.

So it was you then. I should have guessed. Makes sense now. No balls.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leupold M8 3x with TK Lee 4 MOA Dot (thanks to Michael at TKLee Co. great service).

The Black Bear was a running "shot" at about 75 yards.

The rock is 250 yards of.

I have no adapter - offhand shots.
I hate to get all Hoity-Toity and High Class for the Texans,though in a pinch I can yank a trigger with my pinky in the air and cast doing same...all the while doing what they couldn't dream of and make it look easy,if only because it's how I roll. I'm sure it would have been much more "rewarding" to hurdle barbed wire and slip around the haybales this morning,while spraying Tink's 69 cover scent and screaming "get some!" in pursuit of a cud chewer.

The Wilderness ain't for everyone,nor is schlepping solo less a Guide.

To keep it "fair" I slummed alotta different makes this morning,as I'd not wanna be caught in a rut...Meindl,XtraTuffs,Ingram,Sage,Loomis,Shimano,PP,Maxima,VMC,Leupie,EOtech,Columbia,HH,Patagonia,Grunden,BC,Harris,Badger,MagPul,Hornady,AccurateArms,R/P,etc.,etc.

[Linked Image]

Needless to say,I'm much looking forward to the Subtension Chronicles and the associated hilarity. Pardon me I gotta load a smokehouse,cure some Roe and BBQ a feesh for lunch that is but 5 minutes deceased.

Should prolly hit "reply" so as to garner the full splendor.

Laffin'.

Where are the current pictures of "sister" and another "pig" you put her on, or some current photos of your boy?

I've seen that 20 year old pic of you and the tree so often I'll puke if I have to see that again.

No current pics of the kiddos...why not?

Oh...yeah...Bless your heart.
John,

I find that I need all the magnification available to accurately optically range. Dialing the scope down will only make me slower and less precise.

Originally Posted by whiskeyjacked
John,

Would you mind posting what you use for a "Back to brisket" height on some other critters? Like a Mule Deer buck and a Pronghorn Buck? thanks

Muleys work pretty good using an 18 inch height and while it never seems I have to optically range goats I would use a 16 inch right now. I really should go out and measure a few antelope at known distance to get a for sure on that but again I just never seem to need to optically range antelope. Good weather during antelope season.

CMG,

Thanks for the pictures. Very nice.

Lil Fish,

Oh Boy, where to start?

Nice pictures of your entry level ARs and some fish. Well done??

Hint, the title of the thread is "Picture through your scope�. Try again. Promise we will let you play with the big boys if you really give it a try.

Ps. An M&P Sport?? Really?? Couldn�t afford a dust cover and the forward assist?? Looks like you hacksawed the A-2 off?? Dude, they unscrew. FSB get the hacksaw also? Add all that to the lettering I guess you reckon you have pretty sweet custom AR. Nice.

Ps. An M&P Sport?? Really?? Couldn�t afford a dust cover and the forward assist?? Looks like you hacksawed the A-2 off?? Dude, they unscrew. FSB get the hacksaw also? Add all that to the lettering I guess you reckon you have pretty sweet custom AR. Nice.

laugh laugh laugh
John,

I find that I need all the magnification available to accurately optically range. Dialing the scope down will only make me slower and less precise.

Originally Posted by whiskeyjacked
John,

Muleys work pretty good using an 18 inch height and while it never seems I have to optically range goats I would use a 16 inch right now. I really should go out and measure a few antelope at known distance to get a for sure on that but again I just never seem to need to optically range antelope. Good weather during antelope season.

CMG,

Thanks for the pictures. Very nice.

Lil Fish,

Oh Boy, where to start?

Nice pictures of your entry level ARs and some fish. Well done??

Hint, the title of the thread is "Picture through your scope�. Try again. Promise we will let you play with the big boys if you really give it a try.

WooHoo...love this schit!

"Oddly" enough a FFP reticle grants you the same view at top power zoom that you currently think is in "vogue",yet allows constants elsewhere in the zoom selector scale,less concession. It makes it impossible to read a scale wrong,just like a fixed power.(hint) Groovin' on the 5Mil 100yd Haybale substension symposium.

Pardon my being less than enthralled to dangle a point & shoot camera through a schit scope,wearing a schit reticle,at some penned Pet within a fenced enclosure and think it is "something". You are welcome to those "pursuits" if they excite you and all the help it takes to make same "happen"...just please keep talkin' about it!

Curious to me that someone would suffer a loudener of any flavor on an a '15 and refrain zipping the offensive portion away and retaining the balance as a thread protector. But I guess when your greatest aspiration is to tote a Mall Ninja AR to the nearest haybale to sluice someone's Pet,you've the luxury of fiddle [bleep] zoom selectors,calling 18" substension values "pretty good" and have time to tune your Game Ears and quantify same with a test drive ala Cough Silencer. May as well say a Hornady 68HPBT is "identical" to a 75HPBT too,if only to flaunt your dumbphucktitude further.

I dig that playing stupid ain't an act for you.

Wouldn't wanna slight Magnumdoosh and her sole satisfactions being the vicarious "journeys" she takes with others as a salve for her Realities. Must be "satisfying" to sluice a Turkey damn near once every few years,as a "fruition" of her "time" spent "afield". Too [bleep] funny!

Bitter pill for 'Doosh to swallow that a 10yr old playing hookie today,done more in an afternoon than she's done in her Life...yet it's somehow poignant. Bless her Do-Nothing heart and vast Imagination!

[Linked Image]

Admittedly,the Do-Nothing Gang is really on "fire" as of late.

Laffin'!

Yeah, I do like Turkey hunting. I'm a solid member of the 10th Legion. I also enjoy many other pursuits that are beyond the scope your meager, narrow abilities.

I still don't understand why anyone would care if I hunted every free minute or not. That one escapes me. It's my time to do with as I wish, and I'm not intruding on your hunting/fishing. Maybe you can explain this "Do-Nothings" nonsense. I doubt you can, but do give it a try.

Bless you heart!

<snicker>

I bet the 10 year old is really impressed with your profound scriptures on the stocks of your gun(s) - heck of a role model you are . . .
John,

do you have a pic of the camera/scope adapter or a link?

thanks
This thread intregued me. These photos were taken through the Swarovski z5 on 5X, 8X, 12X, and 15X took several minutes to get. It took a couple minutes to get the eye releiv thing down.

Looking through on 8X you can see the deer antlers against the tree on the right of the verticle crosshair and just below the horizontal crosshair. In the 12X the antlers are at 1:30 to the crosshair and very close to it. The 15X antlers are at 3:30. The side focus was really sharp on the stuff at the pump house. I didn't think to re-adjust to the antlers because they were crystal clear in the scope. All attempts to photo above 15X produced a totally blacked out picture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by cfran
I bet the 10 year old is really impressed with your profound scriptures on the stocks of your gun(s) - heck of a role model you are . . .

Being a proper role model aside, I'm beginning to like his additions to his guns. It's bound to send the blood pressure of anti-gunners through the roof. I'm tired of trying to appease them.
'Doosh,

Beings you are President of the 10th Imagination Foundation,you just stay the course and keep telling yourself that you're really "getting it done". Of course noone cares what you do,but many(including myself) look forward to each installment of your Contrived Chronicles as they relate to the Outdoors,mainly because it would be difficult to pinpoint someone who spends less time there than you. You only add to the humor by pretending that the correlation escapes you and mightily to the humor quotient obliviously,due to an incredible amount of stupidity frosted with an incredible amount of Imagination. Really is a "special" blend of dumbphucktitude and you "wield" it like few others.

Bless your heart.

cfrannie,

Kids really hate schit like that,especially when they are the one who coined the term. In fairness BBMFER is now part of Gun Speak Technical Lexicon and bless your DSMFER heart for being that clueless.

Let's MPAJ.

[Linked Image]

Let's Double Tap MPAJ,while admirimg more Widerness in the backyard,than all the Haybales and Pony Parades thus far posted,if only for starters.

[Linked Image]

The "horror".

[Linked Image]

If you get time,please hang a pic of your JLRUAEAW ("Jesus Loves Rainbow Unicorns And Everyone's A Winner") SuperSoaker and say something "intriguing" about the colored water you use for "tracers".

You go girl!

Originally Posted by boxer
Beings you are President of the 10th Imagination Foundation,you just stay the course and keep telling yourself that you're really "getting it done".

Do you even know what the 10th Legion is?

Of course noone cares what you do�.

Then you can stfu; I�ve made no claims of being king of the outdoors. I do hunt, but I also do other things that I enjoy equally as well. The reason I hang out on this board, contrary to your belief that it�s to argue with you, is 99% of everyone who is a member here owns guns. Some hunt, some compete, some target shoot, some collect them. I like owning guns, I like target shooting, I like collecting guns and I like hunting. It would be hard for me to pick which I enjoy the most. I like talking to others about their guns and their optics. I like to hear from other members about what type of firearm they use to hunt the many varied game the folks on this board hunt. I�m not in the least interested in you or your equipment simply because that�s what you want. You foul-hook Steelhead and shoot bears in a petting zoo; big challenge there. You�d be so goddam lost in a hog hunt in the Texas river bottoms we�d have to put a GPS collar on your fat little ass like the dogs wear so we could find you when the sun came up. So, reluctantly, you go back on ignore. I really can�t believe Rick let you back on the board. First, after your 2-day grieving period, and now, in a screen name change that is patently obvious, after you were banned again. But, it�s not my board so I�ll use that great ignore key because nothing you�ve said has changed in 6 years.
Ringman,

Thanks for the pictures.

Lil Fish,

I was going to make fun of you for your idea that taking pictures in your backyard of your bevy of fine ARs and some dead fish is somehow more manly than pictures of wild elk, deer (Both WT and Mulies), antelope and turkey unconfined on a private ranch.

Instead I am going to suggest never letting anyone hold a rifle by the barrel with the butt on the ground. Pretty basic hunter safety type stuff.

To keep the thread going here is another nice bull.

I realize it is not near as exciting as Lil Fish�s backyard/fish/AR pictures but I don�t have any that fit his category. laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Great Thread and Photo's.
Need to Try it Out.
Steve
John,

John,
I agree ranging is much easier done at higher magnifications, why would you need to dial it down? I use 16" for the blacktail I chase and that works out to about 220 yards for 2 mils, 330yards for 1.5mils, 440yards for 1mil etc. I only run a 3x9 on my hunting rifle so I dont feel comfortable trying to get to precise on a mil read, just basicly to confirm there is not some gross error made by the LRF, ie if the LRF says 350yards and the deer is smaller than a mil something is wrong. Jumping up to the 5x20 FFP reticle with a better design I find I can judge to .2mil in the field but by then the math (target size in inches x 27.8/size in mils) requires a calculator for my pea brain.
Boxer,
If everything you have is top of the line. Everything you do, you do well. You live in a wonderful place. Why is it that your joy comes from mocking others on the internet? You ask them to post more because it makes you happy? Nothing you say could make me believe you are not miserable. Nothing you do or show or say could make me believe you are not miserable.

Gary
I always range at max magnification so the feature of the FFP scope, reticle size and image size relationship remains constant through zoom range, is not really an advantage.

I also make it a habit to always shoot long range at max magnification to keep the 1 MOA windage subtensions accurate. (Lil Fish it is not substensions) wink

When I dial down to lowest magnification my windage hashes become 3 MOA and for the cartridges I shoot 9 MOA is about the right lead for every 5 MPH when shooting movers.

This gives me reference hash marks out to 24 MOA both left and right if shooting in close at movers.

I have used both style of optic and I much prefer the reticle size to stay constant to my perception (2nd FP) as opposed to stay constant with the image size (1st FP).

Thank you John, well stated in your preference for SFP.
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
Boxer,
If everything you have is top of the line. Everything you do, you do well. You live in a wonderful place. Why is it that your joy comes from mocking others on the internet? You ask them to post more because it makes you happy? Nothing you say could make me believe you are not miserable. Nothing you do or show or say could make me believe you are not miserable.

Gary

That would appear to be the case.

Boxer, come on in, pull up a chair, hang out with us! Act halfway decent and normal and lordy me, just like magic, folks will treat you halfway decent and normal.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
...Boxer, come on in, pull up a chair, hang out with us! Act halfway decent and normal and lordy me, just like magic, folks will treat you halfway decent and normal...

Hmmmm...do ya thin....NAAAAHHHHHHHHH
well i do think boxer-stick is a total [bleep] ass.but taking pics thru a scoipe is some what odd. Dependes on camera quilty ,scope and computer, as well as internet provider too. not to speak of outdoor conditions too. But some of the pics are cool and imprerssive. but would not judge scope quilty from this alone
Magnumdoosh,

Hardly a "secret" that you hang here to live vicariously,because you can't do for yourself. You obviously like to Imagine the most,beings it's all you've got.

Adds some copious humor,that you've never seen a Steelhead or a Bear and yet feel like you've the faculties to comment upon same. Bless your Do-Nothin' heart and your vivid Imagination.

Pardon my having a legendary sense of direction,none of which is secreted. Still lovin' your pics.

Laffin'!

John Bushman,

I've no doubt that a Petting Zoo does far more for you than Wilderness splendors and Wild Beasties...never would I begin to slight that obvious in regards to your preferences. Humorous and then some,that your "perceptors" and "experience" are so keen in regards to "riflery",that you can't identify an open bolt locked back on a dry mag. It don't get more basic than that. Bless your heart.

Any closeups of the barbed wire,as I'd be curious to learn more about the "incredible hardships" you are forced to endure in your ardent pursuit of Haybale & Crockett "conquests"? No wonder you think backing up from named/numbered Pets prior to the poke,adds "something" to the equation.

Much looking forward to the next installment of "As The Sprinkler Turns" and more of those "magnificent" photos of pen raised victims.

Grogel,

You are the victim of your intellect and that's both poetic and poignant. I've zero aspiration to mock you dumb bastards but admittedly do enjoy that you do a better job on yourselves on accident,than anyone else could on purpose. You are welcome to all the slack on the rope you think you can handle and please don't be shy. Stupidity is the gift that keeps on giving and the hilarity is boundless,yet impossible to predict. This is much akin to a Jerry Lewis NASCAR Event and don't think it ain't a riot to watch the crashes.

You're on a roll,right outta the gate! I suggest you give it a whirl with both hands on the wheel next time.

Just sayin'.

JeffO,

I savvy that your ONLY hope of killing anything big,is to suck enough azz to hop over the barbed wire and say "pull". Pardon my less than zero interest in your knitting circle,as I'd be unable to even pretend to shift my brain into a low enough gear and my exceedingly high standards preclude such precipitous plunges by default. It's how I roll.

You and 'Doosh oughtta trade notes on folding Paper Hats,post pics of same and you both may finally find something you can do reliably in the firsthand.

Fingers crossed for ya'!

'holton,

"well i do think boxer-stick is a total [bleep] ass.but taking pics thru a scoipe is some what odd. Dependes on camera quilty ,scope and computer, as well as internet provider too. not to speak of outdoor conditions too. But some of the pics are cool and imprerssive. but would not judge scope quilty from this alone"

Jesus God,what are you 2yrs old and English a 9th language?!?

"Scoipe","thru","dependes","quility","impressrive".

You idiots do far better beating yourselves up,than I ever could.

Wow!

Reminds me of Groundhog Day. Same actors, same plot, same ending.
Here are few from this evening. Looks like the rut is still running. smile

This one is at 875 yds. The elk were late hoping the fence into the hay field.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I figure most guys understand that these are free range elk and deer but on a private ranch. Pictures were taken from a county road that travels through the ranch.

Suxhim,

I do enjoy hearing of the hunts of others, and the weapons of others because these things interest me. However, I don�t live vicariously through anyone on this board, and even if I did, you�d be the last. First, I don�t dig foul-hooking fish, and neither did the members of the Steelhead board that ran your azz off (getting to be a pattern doncha think? No, you probably don�t �think I that is). Second, I don�t care to shoot animals in a petting zoo.

I don�t expect you to understand the difference given your limited intelligence, your atrocious use of the English language and your completely incomprehensible attempts at constructing a sentence; IOW, your grammar sucks. You wouldn�t make it through an 8th grade English course. Therein lays the confusion on your part. You�re way down in the basement in the muck telling yourself schit really doesn�t smell all that bad, and the rest of us are on the upper floors carrying on with life, communicating with one another in a civil manner, a manner that constantly escapes you. You should try it some time. It�s a real rush to get along with others like we all, well all of us but you, learned in kindergarten.

You�re a piece of work and fall way short of what you believe other think of you (pun in there just for you). If you want to really display how you roll paint a day glow orange stripe around your expanding gut; then we can see if you�re rolling or waddling.
Originally Posted by jagd
John,

do you have a pic of the camera/scope adapter or a link?

thanks
Boxer is punch-drunk. Too bad.
I figure most guys understand that these are free range elk and deer but on a private ranch.

Based on some pics you have posted in the past, you too are guilty of whacking elk out of hayfields. Three whole elk piled up in the back of a truck was obviously not from a backcountry hunt.
What's wrong with shooting elk on a private ranch/farm, hay field or not, as long as they aren't fenced in?

At least half the deer killed in Georgia, Mississippi, illinois, Ohio, North Dakota, Iowa etc., are killed in ag fields. Hell, maybe higher.
Magnumdoosh's Imagination,is taking her places again. The addled Do-Nothing Dreamer had me on "Ignore" not the Post prior,now she's replying to me and pretending not to live vicariously through same. Bless her heart.

Her deep rooted fascinations with things she's never seen or done,are a perpetual exercise in frustration for her and catalyst for her Imagination. It seems she's hung up on Oncorhynchus mykiss as of late and it don't get much funnier than that...until she fancies herself a Wordsmith. I much enjoy that 'Doosh feels she has the "experience" to comment upon anything in the firsthand,other than Tiddlywinks,Midol or Vagisil. She'll whine with the best of them and reliably,less having ever laced a boot of participation in actuality,yet fancies her Imagination powerful enough to call pretend more than "good enough" for her. Consummate comedy and then some!

Hi-vis orange is easily arranged.

[Linked Image]

Still groovin' on Doosh's pics and the splendors she "gets" to experience in the firsthand,must be very "fulfilling" for her.

Laffin'!

Foxbat,

I concur.

Sluicing schit off of haybales,is the only move some folks can make. Bless their hearts.

Great "testing" grounds for "equipment" and "techniques" too,due the rigors associated running the gamut of grass heights,mud depth and barbed wire strand numbers. Interesting how all always falls nicely into place and perspective,if only on accident.

Laffin'!

From what my buddies who have hunted there report, Alaskan hunting can be difficult access (though your boat seems to solve that for you), but the hunting itself isn't "hard", relatively speaking.

My elk-camp pard Jerry is no great hunter. He's ok, but that's it. (by the way that's how I'd describe myself too). He's cut every tag he took to Alaska... three trips... never a uncut tag. Says shooting a blacktail would have been trivial, the trip he took where there were blacktails (excuse me, Sitka's). Ditto for black bears.

Anyway Boxer I'll give you credit for living in a target-rich environment but...
Same with the fishing.
From what my buddies who have hunted there report, Alaskan hunting can be difficult access (though your boat seems to solve that for you), but the hunting itself isn't "hard", relatively speaking.

My elk-camp pard Jerry is no great hunter. He's ok, but that's it. (by the way that's how I'd describe myself too). He's cut every tag he took to Alaska... three trips... never a uncut tag. Says shooting a blacktail would have been trivial, the trip he took where there were blacktails (excuse me, Sitka's). Ditto for black bears.

Anyway Boxer I'll give you credit for living in a target-rich environment but...

Just leave it alone already, can't you see where this is heading? Nowhere, and he loves picking on you (and you're making that easy!).

I'm amazed that someone living within driving distance of some of the best hunting in the world still acts like they have [bleep] hunting. You do realize that you can jump in your rig, drive, and go hunting, right? BTW, my last in-state hunt cost me $3700+, just in travel expenses. How many DIY hunts in Montana, Wyoming, etc could you do with a $3700 travel budget?
Same with the fishing.

WA/Or has crazy good fishing, in the rivers for multiple species. Guys fish waaay more down in your area than in my area. Get off your [bleep] and go do something.
Shhh! You're gonna spook the fish! whistle
Carry on, you've been warned.
Originally Posted by Foxbat
What's wrong with shooting elk on a private ranch/farm, hay field or not, as long as they aren't fenced in?

At least half the deer killed in Georgia, Mississippi, illinois, Ohio, North Dakota, Iowa etc., are killed in ag fields. Hell, maybe higher.

It is no different that shooting a hereford out of a pasture. Unless you are starving, what is the point? Certainly not anything to brag about.
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I figure most guys understand that these are free range elk and deer but on a private ranch.

Based on some pics you have posted in the past, you too are guilty of whacking elk out of hayfields. Three whole elk piled up in the back of a truck was obviously not from a backcountry hunt.

While I have absolutely no problem with �whacking elk out of hayfields� I don�t think I have ever had the chance to shoot an elk in a hayfield.

I have killed a whole bunch of deer and antelope in hayfields. Tasty!

As to the bulls in this picture these videos might clear up where they were killed. Private ground.
[Linked Image]

We were 2 miles from the truck when I shot this bull but it was a very easy recovery. Drove right to him and winched him on the flatbed.

While we were dressing and loading my bull Pete worked his way up this draw and found his bull bedded in the oak brush. No video of the kill as he was alone but we managed to work the truck up the hill right to his bull. This was the last day of season and the weather had the elk moving on their annual migration route. Good morning.

Dogcatcher223,

Got any picture you want to share? Would love to see some more through the scope pictures. cool

Lil Fish,

Wow buddy, you went from backyard AR/fish picture to an orange rifle on a dinning room table. You must have some pretty cool camera gear to get those badass pictures.

I am only using a point and shoot camera to get my pictures. No wonder yours are so much cooler. I have to say you are the best backyard M&P Sport/dead fish photographer ever. Oh I know �It�s how you roll�. grin grin

No haybales for you, that's for sure. laugh laugh
Originally Posted by Foxbat

It is no different that shooting a hereford out of a pasture. Unless you are starving, what is the point? Certainly not anything to brag about.

Is a deer in a prairie during the rut, any harder to shoot than one in a pasture?
Burns,

I'm curious, but where did you hit that elk? High shoulder?
Calvin,

The bullet hit right here. Spine was not hit directly.

[Linked Image]
Dang, that sucker went down hard for a non spine shot.
JeffO,

Hardly a secret that boats cost good money,which is why you don't have one and I've got a few. Man...that really is some COMPELLING info you've related 4th hand by your pard Jerry. I reckon there's more than a couple very good reasons you didn't cite the Species or the Splendor. Tough to wrap my head around your "satisfactions",of hearing a story from a guy who's been to Alaska 3 WHOLE times?!? Though in fairness...it do trump you talking about your "results",which capably doubles the humor quotient as a bare minimum.

I reckon Jerry right now is recounting some very good firsthand interactions with you to some pards and that there is a whole bunch more,than a [bleep] bunch of humor involved.

I've zero doubt that Feesh stump you as mightily as Game,if only obviously. Be sure to grab another bight of slack and really ring the bell.

Bless your heart.

John Bushman,

Points awarded for the humor inherent of a "grueling "Hunt" on Private ground and reaffirmation of the rigors associated,by driving a Ghetto Pavement Pounder to same and loading Elk up treelength. Hope you remembered to button up the gate behind you as a courtesy,wouldn't want you schitting in your nest and be forced to actually Hunt the Wilderness and certainly not alone! Bless your heart.

Must be nice to have only a single P&S,I couldn't comment in that regard as I'm more than a little steeped in DSLR bodies and accoutrements,to the tune of finding it impossible to recollect which body was used for every shot. Given your gross ineptitude with all things the Rifle,I'll keep in mind to incorporate Studio Lighting and larger image sizes,so you can attempt to keep pace. You'll want to be taking notes and applying same.

No haybales is a given and popped some fill-flash for you to boot.

[Linked Image]

Laffin'.

That is pretty much ignorance based bullschit.

Sorry.

It's a cheap shot and a GROSS generalization.

Frankly, it's something so ignorant and stupid, I would have expected Bigstick/Larry/Boxer to say it.

That's as dumb as some asswipe claiming that all game shot in the Rocky Mountains(or parts of Alaska) is killed from pickup cabs cruising forest or BLM roads..

And yeah, I have seen "local" jackazzes all over the Rocky Mountains do that schit with my own eyes on those "hard" western public land hunts... wink

Pretty much the same way some Alaskan jackoffs shoot game from within a few feet of their BOAT at iron sighted 30-30 ranges and then brag about what "tough" hunters they are.

I've hunted all over the lower 48 . I've been in back country hunts in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Montana 10 -30 miles from the nearest open road.

Just because folks hunt on private land does not mean the animals are not free ranging or fenced in or the hunt is easy.

If farmland deer are so easy, where are all the Boone and Crockett heads off of farmlands?

All modern Hunting is as hard and ethical as you want to make it.
But as the man once said- "Life is hard and it's harder if you are stupid."

Most folks don't go out of their way to make hunting harder than it needs to be so they can beat their chest and pretend they are a Modern Day Jim Bridger-
Originally Posted by Calvin

I'm amazed that someone living within driving distance of some of the best hunting in the world still acts like they have [bleep] hunting. You do realize that you can jump in your rig, drive, and go hunting, right? BTW, my last in-state hunt cost me $3700+, just in travel expenses. How many DIY hunts in Montana, Wyoming, etc could you do with a $3700 travel budget?

Best hunting in the world..Surely you jest.
Originally Posted by 7 STW

Best hunting in the world..Surely you jest.

Key word being "some". Considering the species available, the public land available, the road system, the multiple states to draw tags from, etc, you'd have to argue long and hard that the western US doesn't rank up there.
Calvin- I agree, there's some fine hunting in the western US.

This year I pulled a decent elk tag. Though, it just figures, it's the ONE UNIT specifically mentioned in a magazine forecast I read where they specifically note it as being "down" right now. crazy

I haven't even hunted deer yet, 4 days into the season. Chit is just insane around here right now.

This year I pulled a decent elk tag. Though, it just figures, it's the ONE UNIT specifically mentioned in a magazine forecast I read where they specifically note it as being "down" right now. crazy

Who cares? Put yourself in the right spot, with the right skills, and kill the last one in there.
Oh yeah. That's where I got that raghorn a few years ago. I've hunted that unit two years. I've got a decent chance. Pretty pumped actually!
Boxer says:

"Hardly a secret that boats cost good money,which is why you don't have one and I've got a few. Man...that really is some COMPELLING info you've related 4th hand by your pard Jerry. I reckon there's more than a couple very good reasons you didn't cite the Species or the Splendor. Tough to wrap my head around your "satisfactions",of hearing a story from a guy who's been to Alaska 3 WHOLE times?!? Though in fairness...it do trump you talking about your "results",which capably doubles the humor quotient as a bare minimum.

I reckon Jerry right now is recounting some very good firsthand interactions with you to some pards and that there is a whole bunch more,than a [bleep] bunch of humor involved.

I've zero doubt that Feesh stump you as mightily as Game,if only obviously. Be sure to grab another bight of slack and really ring the bell."

-----------

All I know is, he's an average at best hunter here. He goes up there, and suddenly he's a rock star! Peeps can draw their own conclusions.

Now you gonna claim slaying fish up there is rocket science?!

[Linked Image]

Through a Hensoldt 4-16X56.

[Linked Image]

Same scope as above..
[Linked Image]

Coyote at 600 meters through a S&B 5-25X56 PMII.

[Linked Image]

Another coyote through a S&B 4-16X50 GEN II reticle at 500+ meters.
From a few years ago out in Orygun while in search of deer, this guy gave me a photo op.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
cocked and hot?
Empty. Leave it on safe and cycle one in, then safety off.
I'll admit that I have rifles that I've never moved the safety lever.
A buddy had his 700 drop the pin before when pushing the bolt forward - not even locking it down or anything. I like the safety on always now. Hit the primer hard enough to dent it, but not hard enough to go off.
I'll admit that I have rifles that I've never moved the safety lever.

Why is that an admission? No one would think less of you if you simply said you had rifles that you never moved the safety on. I think everyone is pretty much aware you're an excellent hunter.
Boxer says:

"Hardly a secret that boats cost good money,which is why you don't have one and I've got a few. Man...that really is some COMPELLING info you've related 4th hand by your pard Jerry. I reckon there's more than a couple very good reasons you didn't cite the Species or the Splendor. Tough to wrap my head around your "satisfactions",of hearing a story from a guy who's been to Alaska 3 WHOLE times?!? Though in fairness...it do trump you talking about your "results",which capably doubles the humor quotient as a bare minimum.

I've zero doubt that Feesh stump you as mightily as Game,if only obviously. Be sure to grab another bight of slack and really ring the bell."

-----------

All I know is, he's an average at best hunter here. He goes up there, and suddenly he's a rock star! Peeps can draw their own conclusions.

Now you gonna claim slaying fish up there is rocket science?!

JeffO,

You still forget to cite the Specie(s) and Splendor(s) of the Alaskan Trifecta,though assuredly it ain't on "accident". Would love to hear more about Jerry The Rock Star and his conquests...as undoubtedly for you to be sooooo agog,they must have scored exceptionally "well".

As to Feesh I'd say the age old adage that "10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish" is likely not too far off the money. As per my firsthand pursuits in the past week,I've landed well over 100 Chromers with others in proximity and have seen only (1) other mirror hooked/landed. That despite my obvious gracious nature and opening a certain Simms pack,a legendary vest and even my very pockets to share the wares I was using with those same folks,so as to tool them in accordance. It's how I roll. HOPEFULLY,you can wax as eloquent on Feesh as you do Game,because schit can't get much funnier than that! Feel free to crank your Imagination to FULL Power and invent as many "players" as you deem requisite to convey your sage advice. Pun be intended and bless your Day Dreaming heart.

Touch poignant and poetic,that you suck equally in all locales and Dreaming is as close as you'll ever get?!?

Lotsa rope laying at the ready,back-coiled nicely to boot...getcha some.

Laffin'!

How many DIY hunts in Montana, Wyoming, etc could you do with a $3700 travel budget?
I have already been from Indiana to WY and filled 3 pronghorn tags and will be leaving next week for ID for elk. Even if I get one in ID and have to deal with shipping it back, I'll be about 2/3s that amount including the NR tag prices. I probably won't get one, but I'll have a great time in great country. Hard to kill 'em from home...

Hope you remembered to button up the gate behind you as a courtesy,wouldn't want you schitting in your nest and be forced to actually Hunt the Wilderness and certainly not alone! Bless your heart.

Lil Fish,

Well your wilderness looks a lot different than our wilderness here in Wyoming.

You must pay more for your wilderness because we have all these pain in the ass mountains and areas where you are not allowed to even use a wheel much less a boat motor. You are a lucky fellow with that tame wilderness where you hunt.

[Linked Image]

Heck you hardly have to get out of the boat. To think some guys up in your world actually get out and hunt the alpine country, what fools. laugh laugh laugh

Come to think of it I have hunted wilderness in Alaska and while I killed bears I never seemed to be on a nice beach like you show in your picture. What am I doing wrong?

[Linked Image]

I had to pack this grizzly 4 miles back to camp. Boy I bet a guy like you living up in Alaska has killed a lot bigger grizzly than this rat. Pictures??

[Linked Image]

I have been in some country in Alaska that looked a lot like your pictures but a few of us from Wyoming just rented boats and did some fishing. Got to love the glass smooth water. Even a silly Wyoming boy like me felt safe motoring around in a rented boat without a care in the world.
[Linked Image]

Cade caught this Halibut. Boy that is a big fish to a bunch of Wyoming Hillbillys. I took home 235 lbs of frozen halibut fillets from that 4 day trip. grin

[Linked Image]

Must be nice to have only a single P&S,I couldn't comment in that regard as I'm more than a little steeped in DSLR bodies and accoutrements,to the tune of finding it impossible to recollect which body was used for every shot. Given your gross ineptitude with all things the Rifle,I'll keep in mind to incorporate Studio Lighting and larger image sizes,so you can attempt to keep pace. You'll want to be taking notes and applying same.

I am taking notes. You are the undisputed King of the M&P Sport/Dead Fish/backyard photos. You really know how to make those cameras sing. I have heard people say "It is the Indian not the Arrow". Wonder what that means? laugh

My silly attempts with a point and shoot are hardly in the same league.

Pat,

Thanks for the pictures. grin

NWO,

Nice. smile

John, can you pm me some of the specs of that rifle in the picture with the grizz?? Looks like an FN A3G or something. Thanks... Very cool pics there.
LMAO!
Guided Rat Schit..that Guide ought to be punched in the face,for Cub Killin'. Too [bleep] funny and then some!

How'd the Mickey Mouse Hat mounts turn out? Do you let the kids wear them for Halloween?!? Damned near enough rug there,to recover a toilet seat. Wow.

You might consider a girdle,if only to make them feesh look bigger,your gut ain't helping none.

2 of the 3 Bears in this frame,(which I shot not an hour ago)...are bigger. Pardon the terrain and foliage both,as all of it is unknown to you and your Pony Parade/Haybale & Crockett "pursuits".

[Linked Image]

Laffin'...............

john, a while back you mentioned retrofitting your reticle into existing scopes. any word on that??

the other thing is do you guys find any difference between the rangefinder on the geovid vs the geovid HD model, and how do both compare to the zeiss.

I think you should mention zeroing the rifle and knowing how far off you are, ranging rock sizes, put that in your videos, its a selling point to me.
Wyomings Finest Outfitter in Sheridan.

Why is it no surprise that you'd be promoting these douche bags.They routinely kill every dink sow black bear that shows up on a bait barrel and close the season down early every year.
Boxer = road hunter
Originally Posted by jim62

Just because folks hunt on private land does not mean the animals are not free ranging or fenced in or the hunt is easy.

Sorry to say, but that is indeed the case here.
JeffO,

Use as much imagination as you deem requisite,to soothe your inadequacies and tell yourself that which you most need to hear. I see your replies are getting far smaller,after being asked for the Specie(s) and Splendor(s) of your Rock Star Chronicles...just as John Bushman's Critters get smaller,the further she gets outta the pasture. Too [bleep] funny!

Feel free to crank your Fabrication Factory back up and try again.

Bless your heart.

[Linked Image]

What stock is on that rifle?

Looks like a McMillan A3.
That is what I thought, but the foreend looks thinner to me.
JeffO,

Use as much imagination as you deem requisite,to soothe your inadequacies and tell yourself that which you most need to hear. I see your replies are getting far smaller,after being asked for the Specie(s) and Splendor(s) of your Rock Star Chronicles...just as John Bushman's Critters get smaller,the further she gets outta the pasture. Too [bleep] funny!

Feel free to crank your Fabrication Factory back up and try again.

Bless your heart.

Killed a nice buck last year.

Putting around in a boat, getting out, shooting animal = road hunting
Ahhh, damn... too funny in here. Isn't it hunting season?
Lol... I'm just playing with him. It's amusing.

Yeah, it is, but I'm workin' today...
Great pics Burns. Thanks for posting them for us flatlanders!
Boxer better steer clear of Florida bars until this is becomes law.....He may need the extra cash, however........

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Florida-Ban-on-Dwarf-Tossing-Could-End-131177158.html
<snicker>

How so?
Who cares? Why not start another thread if you want to talk about free ranging or non-free ranging or high fence or someone's grandma or anything other than pictures taken through your riflescope? Not directed at anyone in particular.
As someone else mentioned, the inherent difficulty of a hunt will be dictated by game populations, accessability, your own skills and your ethics. I hunted private land for the first 10 years and it was not that much better than the public land I hunt now. I have also seen private land that has a hunter looking at a couple dozen bucks a day and I would not want to tag out like that. Several years ago I bust my butt on a pack trip, logged about 40 miles in the week and walked away with an unfilled tag. Driving out the next day I had a chance to dump an excellent buck about 100 yards off the road. I kept driving because it would be tough for me to brag up the story about how I jumped out of my truck and punched my tag.

I have no desire to sit in a tree or over a bait station but I readily admit if your sitting on the only available water source for miles you may as well be sitting over a hay field. In the end it comes down to want a person wants to do to satisfy their own desires and consider a hunt successful. Personally right now that means putting on a pack and going in on foot. I know someday I will not be able to do that physically and then I might pay to hunt property that facilitates other means of transportation to get to the game.

Some may enjoy a hunt that consists of driving a boat up and down the river but that same person may consider using a quad or a horse to be an unrespected means of hunting. A lot of this might right on regional traditions and preferences that may be hard to understand unless your the one that grew up doing it that way.
varmintsinc,

You could have at least taken photo through your scope for us. smile
...Some may enjoy a hunt that consists of driving a boat up and down the river but that same person may consider using a quad or a horse to be an unrespected means of hunting...

That person would be a no-account, tin-plated schit bird.

Same here. They are grain fed right before season starts too....
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Same here. They are grain fed right before season starts too....

Sorry guys; just because you say its true doesn't make it so. You wouldn't believe something I posted of a controversial nature if all I offered in the way of proof is typing it in a forum post.

I'll add the caveat that you may be correct, but unless some form of proof isn't offered I choose to believe otherwise.
Originally Posted by Ringman
varmintsinc,

You could have at least taken photo through your scope for us. smile

This is all I got, sorry about the lack of large elk or anything else. hahaha
[Linked Image]
varmintsinc,

Those crosshairs are fantastic. What scope is that?
Nothing fancy, just a mil-dot in the SWFA 3x9.
1025 yd steel, MK4 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

340 yd muley, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

700 yd muley, MK4 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

375 yd steel, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

680 yd rock, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
John, can you pm me some of the specs of that rifle in the picture with the grizz?? Looks like an FN A3G or something. Thanks... Very cool pics there.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Looks like a McMillan A3.

Shane is right it is an A-3. Last season was the first year I had all my rifles with our new stock.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great pics Burns. Thanks for posting them for us flatlanders!

Thanks JG.

Thanks for the reticles pictures from varmintinc, MontannaMarine (Shane).
...just as John Bushman's Critters get smaller,the further she gets outta the pasture.

Lil Fish,
Actually it seems to work just the opposite for me. Might be a lesson in there somewhere. cool

This is my best private land elk.

[Linked Image]

This is my best public land bull.

[Linked Image]

This is my best private land White tail.

[Linked Image]

This is my best public ground White Tail.

[Linked Image]

I never have killed a Mule Deer buck on private and this is most likely my best Muley.

[Linked Image]

While Taco was waiting for the tide to come back in I snapped this picture. Our Wyoming beaches look a lot different. grin
[Linked Image]

While your backyard and beach pictures are very nice I don't think you are really getting out and enjoying the real wilderness your state has to offer. laugh

Damn I left the boat around here somewhere. shocked shocked

[img]http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb428/GreybullPrecision/551b6f44.jpg[/img]
This is probably my best through the scope shot: S&B CQB Short Dot LE (IIRC) mounted on either a Barret 6.8 SPC SBR or a Colt 6920. 4x @ 100 yards on B27.

My oldest son shot two whitetail bucks with this scope on the 6.8 (I worked for BFMI at the time). And my youngest later killed two does with the same scope on a Colt LW HBAR.

Who makes an adaptor to let you better use a Canon DSLR through a scope?

[Linked Image]
I love the post on that scope ColdCase!
Burnsie,
Lil Big Lips a Flappn' will be along later as they just tied up rover..
The dammed pooch has been chasen' the big black bear off the fish head bait pile they got set up in the back yard fur Lil Fish jr.
Lil Fish jr. is going to show you how it's done and you are going to be one sorry sob and wishn' ya never started this thread time they are done with you! laugh laugh laugh

Oh iffn' the bear don't come back to their yard they'll just wander down to the creek and plink one pigging out on the fish carci...

Kinda' like shootn' a booner off a Texas tank, or that guy shooting that bull elk that you showed earlier from a haybale blind..
Same thing in all three scenarios the way I see it...
Not that I begrudge someone for doing that..

Here are a couple through a SWFA SS 5x20 with the enhanced mil-dot. The open diamonds get lost in low light far faster than a solid dot but trimming the magnification to 10-12x still give a good enough view. The glass is fabulous and easily equal to anything Nightforce has under $2000. Sorry my photo skills suck to much to show how good the glass really is. Without an adapter how do you guys use a point and shoot camera? running with a Nikon S9100 if it matters. Using mil math (size in inches x 27.8/size in mils) shows the tree at 222-250yards using an 8 or 9" value, LRF says 231yards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Cool pics--game or steel, etc.

Here's one of my 3 MOA TK Lee reticles i had Wally Siebert install in a 24x Leupold converted to LER (~16x now)on a 22 BR XP-100--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

...but my favorite rig to shoot these days is my Ruger Charger/Kidd barrel using the ultimate 22 LR optic--the PFI Rapid Reticle. Some of the PD's I've shot with this rig have been taken as far out as 300 yds. now, compliments of the very low-profile target turret comeups added to lowest stadia subtension--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

SS, looks like a ring near the end of barrel on your Charger; is she threaded? That rig with a suppressor would be a very practical "truck gun." grin

Originally Posted by Nrut
Burnsie,
Lil Big Lips a Flappn' will be along later as they just tied up rover..
The dammed pooch has been chasen' the big black bear off the fish head bait pile they got set up in the back yard fur Lil Fish jr.
Lil Fish jr. is going to show you how it's done and you are going to be one sorry sob and wishn' ya never started this thread time they are done with you! laugh laugh laugh

Oh iffn' the bear don't come back to their yard they'll just wander down to the creek and plink one pigging out on the fish carci...

Kinda' like shootn' a booner off a Texas tank, or that guy shooting that bull elk that you showed earlier from a haybale blind..
Same thing in all three scenarios the way I see it...
Not that I begrudge someone for doing that..

Yeah, a Booner that would weigh 85 lbs after they rolled the guts out.
Took a few more scope pictures yesterday afternoon.

Antelope buck at 1270yds.

[Linked Image]

Whitetail buck at 350 yds

[Linked Image]

Bullwinkle at 750yds

[Linked Image]

Another Bullwinkle at 70yds and scope at 4.5X

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I figured Lil Fish was feeling left out because he cannot get any good "through the scope" pictures so here is an AR/dead fish picture just for him.

[Linked Image]
grin cool
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
SS, looks like a ring near the end of barrel on your Charger; is she threaded? That rig with a suppressor would be a very practical "truck gun." grin

Dan--that's just the Kidd logo they put on their barrels. Would be nice for that though. I was out a couple days ago with Chad and Dennis after antelopin' and they were shooting at a prairie dog at 300 yds. They wanted to shoot the Charger and couldn't believe it would get out to 300 yds. So i cranked in 20 MOA addtl. to the 200-yd. 21 MOA stadia line and it was dead on all around the dog. But in the 10 mph effective wind it took about 25 shots to kill it--but we did. 40 gr. Blazer passed through the dog and kicked up dirt on the far side of him, and he started bouncing up and down all over beofre succumbing to the lung shot. It really was dramatic...and FUN!

Here's a 435-yd. coyote laying dead at the 1.5 mil line of Darrell Holland's HUMR reticle on top of my 6.5 WSM XP-100. 1st shot at a game animal out of this rig--

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Love them tipi buttes down there! Good shooting, as usual, Steve.

Haven't seen Stick or John Burns shoot, but have witnessed you walk the walk...and do mathematic equations (talk) in the field it would take me a week with a calculator to figure! grin
Thks. Dan, we did have some fun that 1 day together. Lookin' forward to next time.

U know i was trying to figure a way to put the long range dope from the 22 on that Charger, but while studying the ballistics printout i saw that from 200-400 it increases by a factor of ~2.0 MOA every 10 yds. and ~2.5 MOA from 400-500. The windage is a consistent increase of ~.25 MOA to 500 yds. every 10 yds. Makes it easier to apply the LR dope whilst screwing around at LR with a 22. We'll see. Fun stuff...IMO.
sscoyote,

Where does one get that reticle installed? The one on your Charger.

Travis
ColdCase1984: I like that reticle, but would like to be able to get it without springing for and S&B.
Travis--they're all right here--

www.rapidreticle.com
Originally Posted by sscoyote
Travis--they're all right here--

www.rapidreticle.com

Dude, you're gonna cost me $400.00!

They're as good as they claim?

Travis
I love the 5 i have, believe it or not. But you can get 'em somewhat cheaper here and there. That 22 LR scope/reticle is responsible for the most fun i've ever had with a 22.

Now if u don't like it don't come over my house and beat me up...OK?

BTW, it's a 1st focal plane optic so it's not the best reticle in the world at 3x.

The guys that designed the reticles also designed the Rapid-Z's for Zeiss. U can see that some of the Rapid Z's and Rapid Reticles are very similar in design.
Thanks for the info. Might be my Christmas gift to myself. Very cool.

TRavis
I think Midway's got 'em for ~300.
A few more of this young bull moose.

70yds and 4.5X

[Linked Image]

50yds and 4.5X

[Linked Image]

Be interesting if some of the 1st focal plane guys would post some pictures with the zoom at the top and bottom.

Thanks for all the pictures, ColdCase1984, varmintsinc, and sscoyote but I figured we would have quite a few more by now for comparisons.
Dang, this is not easy. Just tried it looking out into the back yard. Without trying to get an animal in the picture it was hard enough. Need more practice obviously.

Leupold VX3 6.5-20X50 LRT
TMR at 6.5X -
[Linked Image]

TMR at 20X -
[Linked Image]

Bob
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
1025 yd steel, MK4 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

340 yd muley, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

375 yd steel, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

680 yd rock, SS 16X scope,
[Linked Image]

Shane, you are holding out and me and Mike. Didn't tell us you have mulies up there like that!

Scott
© 24hourcampfire