Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Reloder28,

I assume you understood my post about the VX3 glass was tongue in cheek. No sir, I did not. I have strained a ligament handling some of their high end optics and gave them no further consideration. After this post I will revisit the matter. I have been on a quest for a long range scope.

The VX3 in 4.5-14x50mm is the lightest optic available that is totally suitable for any type of shot on big game, from near too far. I was impressed with the resolution in your pictures which was the first thing that caught my eye. The fact that it is rugged and durable, optically is very good, tracks perfectly and is reasonably priced simply cannot be beat. That is why we use it as the base optic. Thank you for your explanation. I told you I probably didn't know what I was talking about.grin

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Boxer
You poor clueless stooge.

Looking in the mirror?

Half a mirror.......

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
You and Jackie Bushman are the only two folks dumb enough to think the 68 and 75 Hornady BTHP's are "identical". Bless your hearts.

Folks that dumb,like to botch reticles and "Hunt" outta golf carts within the confines of a fence.

You poor clueless stooge.

Lil Fish,

Now that you bring it up I was interested in maybe replacing my string of mules with one or two of those �Bad Boy Buggies� I have seen on TV. Seem like those things can go anywhere.

What model would you suggest I get to take a friend high fence big horn sheep hunting?
[Linked Image]

Would your favorite model be able to pack mule deer out of the pasture and through the gate in the fence?
[Linked Image]

How many would I need to pack bull elk out of the hayfields?
[Linked Image]

Oh heck I really do like my mules so I guess I will just stick with them but thanks for the interest. It is almost like you have a weird infatuation with me, how cool. Rub your lip, it will take some of the sting away. grin
[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The Texans are still peeking through the barbed wire,hoping to find something they can drive their golf cart to. Poor dumb John Bushman thinks a Pony Parade and a buncha Guides to wipe his ass constitutes a "Hunt". Too [bleep] funny!

In fairness I sort through better than a thousand mirrors a year,it's how I roll.

[Linked Image]

You gals keep telling yourselves that you are really doing it and don't forget the pics...this schit is hilarious! When it comes to setting on your asses,you ladies got it going on.

C
CRF Offline
C
Larry,

The handwriting on that stock is obscene and gross.

Grow up or get out.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Half man has no class obviously.

Last edited by JGRaider; 10/02/11.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Amen!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Leupold has also proven they can build heavy glass that will stand side by side in terms of resolution to anything available but I have no interest in adding weight to the optic system for no real gain in performance.

John, honest question. What do your guns weigh? They look rather heavy, but I understand that does offer benefits in a long range rig. That being said, not sure why a heavy scope, with premium glass would really matter since they are not lightweights.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CRF
Larry,

The handwriting on that stock is obscene and gross.

Grow up or get out.

Wow - 19 posts and you think that you know Boxer's first name. Who are you really? Haven't got the balls to post under your real name?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Went out to video and take a few more photos of the elk on the riverbottom. The season is open but this private ranch has not let anyone hunt in the past few years. The elk are wild and there is no high fence but they have become very accustomed to traffic and people photographing and watching them from the county road.

Took this picture from the shoulder of an asphalt county road. Don�t know who the hunter was or how much he paid.
[Linked Image]

Hunter shot from this hay bale blind.
[Linked Image]

This was the bull 20 minutes before he was shot and 450 yds off the county road.
[Linked Image]

The bull will almost certainly make all time B&C. Sure hope the glory shots don�t have the pickup in the background.
[Linked Image]

Stupid Lil Fish put a course on that bull with his Haybale and Crockett comments.

Funny thing was watching those guys walk up on that great bull. There were 4 vehicles on the county road that watched all this happen. Through the spotting scope the hunters appeared sheepish and not real proud of what had happened.

I suppose time will heal all wounds and the hunter will look up at his B&C trophy bull and remember the hunt with fondness but this evening in front of a pretty big (for an elk shoot) audience he seemed less than enthused. Wonder if he feels like he got his money�s worth?

All of this might seem like a case of sour grapes and in full disclosure I had visions of finding that bull late in the season out in the desert. After the rut the bigger bulls leave the private sometimes and head out into the desert to recoup. It is searching for a needle in a haystack but it has been done, 2 years ago a friend killed a 390 bull from this herd 5 miles from the riverbottom in the badlands. Taking a bull like that on public ground would be quite a fun hunt.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
All of this might seem like a case of sour grapes

Not sour grapes, they might as well have shot a marmot out in the hayfield. Same thing...

I have had the displeasure of mounting a few big bucks that some local hunters whack out of their private hayfields every year. Even had to listen to them bitch about the score not being enough... sick I refer to their bucks as "gophers." Means about the same to me.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Wow - 19 posts and you think that know Boxer's first name. Who are you really? Haven't got the balls to post under your real name?

You can always count on butt sniffer to show up and take cheap shots.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
John,
Why not a FFP scope for ranging?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
John,

Would you mind posting what you use for a "Back to brisket" height on some other critters? Like a Mule Deer buck and a Pronghorn Buck? thanks

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't take much to get the Whiners whining and why is it that the Texans always whine the most? That City Slickin'/Flat Landing "living" does you gals no favors.

Personally,I couldn't call the S&W High Class,though she's in transition and given cooperation with the week's Mail it will all fall nicely into place. A MK4 6x in Max 50's does more for me.

[Linked Image]

A wee bit touching admiring you gals' consumate indelicacies,though it do put your Haybale & Crockett pursuits into perspective. Relishing the Tutorial now on subtending cud chewers in freshly mowed fields as the Trump Card of the Barney Fife reticle. Guides,Haybales and the harrowing notion of chipping a finger nail...really is the stuff of epic comedy.

Bless your hearts.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Half Man is the only one remotely impressed with Half Man.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
John,
Why not a FFP scope for ranging?
I've wondered about that as well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SU35
Wow - 19 posts and you think that know Boxer's first name. Who are you really? Haven't got the balls to post under your real name?

You can always count on butt sniffer to show up and take cheap shots.

So it was you then. I should have guessed. Makes sense now. No balls.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Leupold M8 3x with TK Lee 4 MOA Dot (thanks to Michael at TKLee Co. great service).

The Black Bear was a running "shot" at about 75 yards.

The rock is 250 yards of.

I have no adapter - offhand shots.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hate to get all Hoity-Toity and High Class for the Texans,though in a pinch I can yank a trigger with my pinky in the air and cast doing same...all the while doing what they couldn't dream of and make it look easy,if only because it's how I roll. I'm sure it would have been much more "rewarding" to hurdle barbed wire and slip around the haybales this morning,while spraying Tink's 69 cover scent and screaming "get some!" in pursuit of a cud chewer.

The Wilderness ain't for everyone,nor is schlepping solo less a Guide.

To keep it "fair" I slummed alotta different makes this morning,as I'd not wanna be caught in a rut...Meindl,XtraTuffs,Ingram,Sage,Loomis,Shimano,PP,Maxima,VMC,Leupie,EOtech,Columbia,HH,Patagonia,Grunden,BC,Harris,Badger,MagPul,Hornady,AccurateArms,R/P,etc.,etc.

[Linked Image]

Needless to say,I'm much looking forward to the Subtension Chronicles and the associated hilarity. Pardon me I gotta load a smokehouse,cure some Roe and BBQ a feesh for lunch that is but 5 minutes deceased.

Should prolly hit "reply" so as to garner the full splendor.

Laffin'.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,939
Posts18,519,044
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.